Sign in to follow this  
Hurdoc

FFG - Please create an app that could be used for Chaos Tokens

An unofficial app is already in the making. :)

You're doing God's work. I did away with the bags in Arkham Horror and Elder Sign and just blind grab from a pile, an app would be even better.

If I could code I would probably just make my own. Hmmmm, I could probably just find a "die" simulator and rig it.

It's probably not difficult. It's basically a RNG with values assigned between the various tokens based on their frequency.

yeah, you can very easily proxy this in Excel. Just create a table relating integer numbers from 1 to X to the values of the tokens, and then assign a random function giving you back an integer within the specified range. This requires five minutes to input the data and twenty seconds to write a function. And if you have Excel (or OpenOffice, or whatevs) it's also free of charge

I've never liked the "jumble and pick" approach.  It's not like it's impossible, just not a preference.

An app could be a pretty useful thing.  The roller itself would be pretty trivial, but it could also include things like the predefined distribution for tokens (as mentioned) and reference that would display the result.  You pull a cultist, no having to check the card.

None of this is impossible to do without an app, of course, but it could streamline the gameplay somewhat and provide a truly useful reference tool.

Necro-ing this thread for three reasons:

1 - In case there are people out there who don't know about this app who may want it.

2 - To thank the author profusely. I didn't think it would be that big a deal, but I love the app.

3 - To point out that a card is coming that requires multiple draws from the bag before replacing the tiles and it would be great if the app could support that please.

To continue the necro, here's an awesome website which does exactly what everybody wants (automatically sets the correct tokens, can be adjusted manually, multiple draws). It also got the advantage of being a ordinary website (not an app), and is therefore universally cross-platform!

http://lotr-lcg-quest-companion.com/all_chaosbags.php?idselected=AHCS_tg

Now for the "lack of randomness" complaints about the app...bag or app, still a fun game.

Well to be as close to truly random as possible, your iPhone would need to measure cosmic background microwave radiation. But until Apple releases that FireWire adapter, we'll have too settle for pseudorandom numbers seeded off the system clock. First world problems, indeed.

this is the silliest discussion i have ever seen, if you cant figure out how to pull tokens from a bag or cup/bowl/ tupperware with a hole just a little larger than the token put lid on and shake til one pops out, what the hell is the rest of your life like? omg hahaha

You are right, it is ridiculously silly. I can't understand at all why some people have such an incredibly hard time understanding that people might want to play their own game, in their own house, in their own way, without hurting anyone else or forcing their own way of playing onto other people. It is truly a strange thing.

There are 16 Chaos Tokens in use in every game, right?  Why not just make a reference table on an index card and use a 16 sided die?  While not exactly common, they exist and they're pretty cheap.  Chessex sells them for $1.50, as one example.

http://www.chessex.com/Dice/Specialty%20Dice/16_sided.htm

I agree that the Chaos Token/Bag mechanic is annoying.  I liken it to games that have a mechanic that involves CONSTANTLY having to reshuffle a small deck.  I've been using a deep mug up until this point.  I just shake the mug and then reach in.  It's not the picking a token that's annoying...  it's the constant reshuffling required.

There are 16 Chaos Tokens in use in every game, right?

Nope. Both the third scenario in Night of the Zealot and our beloved Rougarou adventure have different numbers of tokens, and the designers have already talked about how different tokens will be used in the future to be added or removed from the bag based on results in a given scenario. Plus, y'know, people can adjust their own bags ad hoc if they feel they want to try adding just one more +1 or another Skully.

Nope. Both the third scenario in Night of the Zealot and our beloved Rougarou adventure have different numbers of tokens, and the designers have already talked about how different tokens will be used in the future to be added or removed from the bag based on results in a given scenario. Plus, y'know, people can adjust their own bags ad hoc if they feel they want to try adding just one more +1 or another Skully.

Ugh...  well, I guess so long as there are not more than 20 in a given scenario, you could just use a d20 and re-roll any result that is too high.  I just really dislike the bag mechanic.  It feels very clunky and I feel like I'm constantly 'shuffling' the bag and drawing tokens...  especially in a solo game.

Ugh...  well, I guess so long as there are not more than 20 in a given scenario, you could just use a d20 and re-roll any result that is too high.  I just really dislike the bag mechanic.  It feels very clunky and I feel like I'm constantly 'shuffling' the bag and drawing tokens...  especially in a solo game.

Rougarou requires 24 tokens on Standard, and 26 on Hard.

Really, the Chaos Bag isn't any less random than a die, and certainly makes fine-tuning scenarios for whatever easier than just changing what you roll on a crossreferenced 1d20 table.

I just really dislike the bag mechanic.  True or not, if FEELS like I'm constantly fiddling with the chaos tokens.  I don't like it.  I wish they had gone with a different mechanic.  The fact that the number of tokens varies so wildly makes it hard to come up with a practical alternative.  I'll probably give one of the apps a try.

I just really dislike the bag mechanic.  True or not, if FEELS like I'm constantly fiddling with the chaos tokens.  I don't like it.  I wish they had gone with a different mechanic.  The fact that the number of tokens varies so wildly makes it hard to come up with a practical alternative.  I'll probably give one of the apps a try.

Fair enough. I prefer the bag, as overenthusiastic players who don't seem to be able to keep their dice on the table rarely have that problem with tokens.