Sign in to follow this  
FTS Gecko

Remove One Torpedo Slot - Would That Be Enough To Nerf Contracted Scouts?

The problem with Triple scouts is Deadeye...  Soon as they errata that to small ship only the problem is fixed..  it doesn't kill Triple scouts but it means that they need more thought to play, they need more setup.  Alex Davys admits they missed the Deadeye combo in testing in the 186th podcast. 

Sort Deadeye and the list becomes more difficult to play so good players will still play it but it'll be harder to nuke things off the board 1 the first pass...

First off I want to thank FGD for the awesome Tropic Thunder reference that won the interwebs today!   Second I would like to discuss the OP.  I have a better solution than nerfing the scouts.  I say run a list that can beat it.  Now this is not a "git gud" post but really get over wanting to nerf everything that is winning at the moment.  I kinda get the Phantom nerf, kinda, but since then it seems to me the cry to nerf something that is winning has gotten out of hand.

There is a triple YV-666 build that beats the breaks off of the triple scout build.  I say it go down and the guy who was running the triple scouts is a better than good player he is very good.  Swarms can kill the scout build and there are other builds as well that can take it down.  You want to discuss making the build harder by nerfing it instead of discussing ways to beat it.  Maybe it is just my upbringing but I just don't believe in pulling something down to your level to succeed.  I think these build are a good motivation to rise to the challenge and come up with something that can win against it.

In summation nerfing in general is bad and being creative and using you amble critical thinking skills to over come this build is good.

I think the dial is a bigger issue than deadeye. Literally, every turn and bank is green and white... Plus, it gets a white T-roll. There are only two red maneuvers on the whole dial. That's outright absurd.

When stressed, the intended-asymmetrically designed ship should not be able to go right, but this giant ship has more options stressed than many small ships. It's a broken dial.

The problem with Triple scouts is Deadeye...  Soon as they errata that to small ship only the problem is fixed..  it doesn't kill Triple scouts but it means that they need more thought to play, they need more setup.  Alex Davys admits they missed the Deadeye combo in testing in the 186th podcast. 

Sort Deadeye and the list becomes more difficult to play so good players will still play it but it'll be harder to nuke things off the board 1 the first pass...

Nope, it only means they start sucking so hard that even their engineer's back on home planets have pain in throats.

because at low PS it's completely and UTERLY impossible to take a TL and then throw a torp, because any ace can simply get into R1

screw acewing. 

I think the dial is a bigger issue than deadeye. Literally, every turn and bank is green and white... Plus, it gets a white T-roll. There are only two red maneuvers on the whole dial. That's outright absurd.

When stressed, the intended-asymmetrically designed ship should not be able to go right, but this giant ship has more options stressed than many small ships. It's a broken dial.

They are not going to change a dial or a ship card, it's never been done and I don't think it ever would.  however placing errata on a card in the FAQ has been done before (tactician) so it can be done again. 

Deadeye isn't the issue.  You can take a list that can burn down U-boats pretty quickly if you take a number of ships with PS 4 or higher.  Two cheap ships with ordnance (like Z-95's) that are high enough PS and a few high damage ships and you can burn one down fast enough.  

Deadeye isn't the issue.  You can take a list that can burn down U-boats pretty quickly if you take a number of ships with PS 4 or higher.  Two cheap ships with ordnance (like Z-95's) that are high enough PS and a few high damage ships and you can burn one down fast enough.

Take your common sense tactics and get outta here! We only want whining and pessimism on this board!

Then the other 2 nuke your big hitter in 1 turn.    

Deadeye isn't the issue. You can take a list that can burn down U-boats pretty quickly if you take a number of ships with PS 4 or higher. Two cheap ships with ordnance (like Z-95's) that are high enough PS and a few high damage ships and you can burn one down fast enough.

That's not really the issue, though. No one is saying they're invincible, but there is enough evidence to show that they're more capable for their cost than most. Of course, you can build a squad to focus fire a scout, but that doesn't mean its design isn't poorly affecting the meta.

Rock paper scissors design isn't a good thing to resort to in a 1v1 game against multiple opponents.

Edited by Arttemis

Then the other 2 nuke your big hitter in 1 turn.    

Except you don't have one big hitter?  You have a few more hard hitters.  They nuke one and you can still take them out.  Just build a list with more than 3 ships in it.

Deadeye isn't the issue. You can take a list that can burn down U-boats pretty quickly if you take a number of ships with PS 4 or higher. Two cheap ships with ordnance (like Z-95's) that are high enough PS and a few high damage ships and you can burn one down fast enough.

That's not really the issue, though. No one is saying they're invincible, but there is enough evidence to show that they're more capable for their cost than most. Of course, you can build a squad to focus fire a scout, but that doesn't mean its design isn't poorly affecting the meta.

Rock paper scissors design isn't a good thing to resort to in a 1v1 game against multiple opponents.

They are good against regen lists and phat-arse "sustain it all because of evade tokens" things like Han or Chirpy.

not "more capable than others", simply at par with high-end lists like Palpaces, super-PWTs and crackswarms.

stop measuring things comparing them to bantacrap like Starviper

You mean White S-loop, not T-roll. But otherwise you are right.

The DIAL is ABSURDLY good, too good!

That plus a primary weapon turret, and torps incase it is in arc, which it normally will be due to the dial- makes it overpowered for its points cost.

Edited by knavelead

not "more capable than others", simply at par with high-end lists like Palpaces, super-PWTs and crackswarms.

stop measuring things comparing them to bantacrap like Starviper

To be honest, the Jumpmaster was such a big leap forward from the usual quality of Scum ships (Aggressor being the only exception) that it's understandable people were a bit shocked :)

You mean White S-loop, not T-roll. But otherwise you are right.

The DIAL is ABSURDLY good, too good!

That plus a primary weapon turret, and torps incase it is in arc, which it normally will be due to the dial- makes it overpowered for its points cost.

But I thought that turrets take skill to fly, don't ruin the game, and care about maneuver dials.

But I thought that turrets take skill to fly, don't ruin the game, and care about maneuver dials.

And I've never said such a thing once. Not once. So save your **** sarcasm for someone else ParaGoomba Slayer!

Yeah piss off one of the few people that actually agrees with you on the subject, real smart!

Edited by knavelead

And I've never said such a thing once. Not once. So save your **** sarcasm for someone else ParaGoomba Slayer!

Yeah piss off one of the few people that actually agrees with you on the subject, real smart!

That's our Goomba!

What do you want to do about it? Stop agreeing with him. See how that works out! :P

Hey come on, it's a freighter. Of course it performs better than attack fighters.

Hey come on, it's a freighter. Of course it performs better than attack fighters.

I thought the jumpy was a reconnaissance ship

hence contacted scout

still made by those asses on corellia though, so I guess they're just better than everyone when it comes to building ships

Edited by ficklegreendice

He admitted no such thing. 

I thought that gap in the middle was how it carried containers.

Oh well...

I think that was just someones clever idea on one of the paint/mod forums, using some N-Scale model railway containers...

...which I will admit to having now pinched !  ;) 

hell no

the 1 turns and barrel-roll are what make them amazing feedback array blockers

and if there's anything this game doesn't need, it's less guaranteed damage <_<

Double negative...it's tricky.
Try being bilingual when your other language is a romance language

Double negatives works just fine there!

Also on jm5k asymmetry, the culling of r4 aggro MAKES IT MATTER

Can't torp one round and them after after heading right or sloop thanks to OCR4 stress

Unless you have manny

Manny with torpscouts with a zuck crew is damnn good fun

Edited by ficklegreendice