Sign in to follow this  
evenwiser

Defeating the Byakhee and moving, even if there are still other monsters on that space?

Hi to all,

I asked this question over on BoardGameGeek, but there doesn't seem to be any firm consensus on how this works.

The Byakhee monster's special effect is that if you defeat it, you may choose to lose one sanity and move three spaces instead of resolving another encounter.

Let's assume that the space on which you encounter the Byakhee has other monsters as well. If I start my encounter phase by choosing to fight the Byakhee first, may I then move without encountering the other monsters on that space?

I know the rules state that I must encounter each monster one at a time, but since there is special text on the Byakhee token that might change the outcome of the encounter phase, I just wanted to make sure I was playing it right.

Some have argued that the Byakhee's ability trumps the normal encounter phase (perhaps akin to Khopesh of the Abyss's ability to move to the nearest space containing a monster after you defeat a monster during a combat encounter on your current space).

Any definitive answer on this?

Thanks for your time and help.

"Byakhee uses the same wording Gug does, so it works the same way Gug does.
Both of these monsters replace your "additional encounter" with something, and neither of those affects the rest of the Combat Encounters."

This is the correct answer. You resolve all Combat Encounters, then you choose whether to have the Additional encounter or forfeit it and use the Byakhee special ability.

Effects are resolved one at the time. You encounter the Byakhee first, and resolve the effects for defeating it (there is no such thing like holding an effect for later in Eldritch). The text is pretty clear, I'd say: instead of having another encounter, you may move away if you spend San. According to the rules, after defeating a monster on a space you're forced to encounter another monster on that space, or you may encounter the space if no other monsters are there. In either case you resolve another encounter (monster, gate, clue, space, whatevs) and the Byakhee allows you to move instead of resloving that encounter. So, yes, you may move away ignoring the other monsters

(...) So, yes, you may move away ignoring the other monsters

Unfortunately, Julia, Nikki Valens has answered this one (link) and she thinks differently.

Correcting what I've said elsewhere:

Byakhee erroneously uses different wording than Gug, yet it still works the same. This game could be named Eldritch Consistency.

Edited by tsuma534