Ryoshun Higoka

All Aboard the Nostalgia Train - Who's Your Guy?

We all have "that guy". The personality that, for whatever reason, grabbed you the second you saw it. We've all got stories to tell while we sit and wait for the Emerald Empire to return to us, so I thought we should all gather round and raise a glass to "your guy".

So share. Who's your guy? What's their story - for you, personally?

For me, it was Toku, no question. First pack I opened, one of the first personalities I saw... I mean, he played for free! And then he got an Experienced version. And then he got another. And then he got his own minor clan, and family name, and a great family... I was proud of the little guy. Look how far he came. Not bad.

Also, for no particular reason, Slidge from gold edition (not the DJH version). The new art was a neat take on trolls, and my little brother and I developed a certain fondness for him. I found myself putting Slidge into my Crab and Crane decks, enjoying the little stories the games would play out (one of my favorites being a great "Don't worry Kurohito, here comes Slidge to the rescue!" moment).

And O-Ushi. And Kuon. And Tsudao, Naseru, Yakamo, Yoritomo, Tsukune, Miyako, Kwanchai, Chagatai, Gohei...

Thanks for twenty great years, you guys. Here's to many more.

So, who's your guy?

When I first started playing undoubtedly my favorite Personality was Hiruma Akio. Then she brained the Dark Daughter and forever earned her place among the ranks of awesome Lady Crabs. I was so sad she didn't get an Xp2 version.

Yasuki Makoto also has a special place in my heart. Thanks to her I twice managed to crack Crane Provinces with just a courtier and once got a Dishonor victory against Spider with a Military deck. Her Imperial Advisor artwork being amazing is just icing.

Edited by shineyorkboy

Doji Hoturi and Doji Kurohito

Kakita Toshimoko and Kakita Noritoshi

Daidoji Uji and.... Well Fumisato?

Special mention:

Kakita Hideo (the Obsidian Keeper)

Kozue

Toku

Matsu Gohei (in memory of the one man, province wrecking machine)

Hida Kuon

Edited by Kakita Schneidy

I loved Hoturi, and Toshimoko, and Kurohito, and Domotai. I loved Yasuyo, and Hochiu (before he flipped out to insanity), And of course, there'S Nizomi because Fire Shugenja + Crane = Good, and Kakita Himoto because hey, I got my character into canon. 

But favorites? 

It's a close tie between Shiba Tsukune and Kakita Yoshi. The haunting art of the original Tsukune, but Yoshi's the guy who got me to switch from Phoenix to Crane. 

Well if you hang on the spider forums at all, you know my boy is Daigotsu. I am an unabashed fanboy for the Dark Lord of Jigoku. I loved the aesthetic Drew Baker gave him, i loved his calculating nature. I loved his power and his calculating character. I really enjoyed the theological nature of many of his shenanigans. But mostly i loved that despite being a villain, much of what drove him were characteristics that typified his enemies: honor and love. His dedication to Fu Leng shamed most other shugenja and love of his wife and son drove much of the back half of his story. it made him a much more nuanced villain. 

my other favorite, for much less sensible reasons, is Daigotsu Shimekiri. He had very few appearances and a single card, but i think the fact that he's the intersection of my first l5r clan, crane, and spider, and one of my favorite deck types, dueling, drew me to him. his great art, courtesy of Troy Graham, also really drew me in. I never stopped hoping for an experienced version of more appearances. 

Well, that's easy - Doji Makoto.

Other great characters for me were Doji Kurohito (for the tragic story), Doji Dainagon and Natsuyo (hurray politics!), Kakita Ichigiku (great story, not your typical Crane), Doji Hakuseki (she was badass).

There wasn't really a guy that grabbed me at the start, but it was several gals. They happened to be Bayushi Kachiko, Daidoji Rekai, and Ryosei (experienced). Those three seemed to be very different than a lot of the other personalities in their respective clans running around at the time I got in (around the end of Hidden Emperor).

There wasn't really a guy that grabbed me at the start, but it was several gals. They happened to be Bayushi Kachiko, Daidoji Rekai, and Ryosei (experienced). Those three seemed to be very different than a lot of the other personalities in their respective clans running around at the time I got in (around the end of Hidden Emperor).

I should have been more clear, that's my bad. "Who's your guy" includes the awesome women of Rokugan, of course.

Kachiko may have saved the Empire, Ryosei saved her family's soul, and Rekai had one of my favorite (tragic) story arcs in the game. Solid choices.

Edited by Ryoshun Higoka

Aside from the Character i've been dying to play for years but can never ever find someone willing to actually run L5R for me? I'd have to say it's a tossup between Ikoma, Rezan and Hida O-Uchi. With an Honorable mention for the Seppun out of the Second City box set, the guy whose acclaimed as a great and wise political mastermind when in reality he's not and is just utilizing common sense. As far as the CCG goes...never played it, I live in a fairly small hick town and MTG rules the land. 

My favorites, in no particular order:

•Bayushi Muhito - A perfect shinobi, yojimbo, duelist, who still manages to find something more than only Duty in the world. A real shame how his story sputtered out.
•Bayushi Shoju - My favorite tactician, on the battlefield and in the courts alike. This guy is one of the main reasons I decided I'd make my "home" among the Scorpion.
•Mirumoto/Hojatsu - Who doesn't love the Musashi story? L5R's version is no exception. Also, proving tradition wrong is always fun to me (No, Crane, you aren't the best duelists around. xD)
•Doji Seo - When push comes to shove, probably still my favorite piece of L5R artwork. She just perfectly captures the essence of the setting: Beauty, elegance, and violence. Bravo Mr. Komarck! (And all of your other L5R artwork is stunning as well! Easily in the top 3, if not #1 of L5R artists, IMO.)
•Tamori Shaitung - Proving to the world that the Isawa aren't the be all end all of shugenja.
•Yajinden - Terrible enough to frighten the entire world, and smart enough to know he's not the top of the food chain. If he had any real ambition, nothing could stop him.

Edit - Aw crap, how could I forget Bayushi Tsubaki?! Granted, I had absolutely zero to do with this card, but it was fun regardless seeing my chosen L5R internet handle show up as an actual personality, and a pretty solid one at that!  :lol:

Edited by Bayushi Tsubaki

Tsuruchi, hands down!  I've always liked archers in games, and you don't get much more archer-ful than Tsuruchi!  He and the family bearing his name are the sole reasons I started playing the Mantis Clan (though, in time, I grew to love the Kitsune as well).

Tsudao also sticks out in my mind, as she was the Wind I supported.

Moto Ming-Gwok for me. I came into the CCG in Ivory edition and saw his EXP artwork, which I personally think is some of the best artwok in the game hands-down.

His appearences in the story were great, especially his letters back and forth with his pal, Moshi Tomiko. 

I always wanted more to be done with his character, the hook of avoiding the madness of P'an Ku via being slightly off to begin with (courtesy of the blessing of the Obsidian Dragon) was super interesting! Unfortunately, it was not to be...

Heck, I even got a copy of him, but in the few months that he was legal at the start of Ivory, I played a grand total of 2-3 games. I never got to play the card.

All the same... CAN YOU SMELL WHAT THE 'GWOK IS COOKIN'?!?!?!

I loved a lot of the art and cards over the years, but I'm a word person.  

KYD Tadaka's "You run, I die." (comma splice not withstanding) always resonates with me.

As for art?  Kachiko's art from letting in the Thunders (which they wisely centered on Time of the Void) is one of the single most impressive pieces of art in the game for evoking a pivotal moment and making people who don't know the game want to know . . . more . . . about the game.  I know, because I've taught more than 140 people how to play the RPG, and I always use that art as a selling point to convince them to play.  I have never known it not to work.

Interestingly, most of my favorite characters had rather crappy art on their cards.

Do you have a link to that piece?

Talking about Tadaka's art, Azamiko has probably this on his mind:

http://imperialassembly.com/oracle/showimage?prefix=printing&cardid=7724&nestid=1&class=details&tagid=34&hash=f4/32,428,600,image/jpeg

And TotV Kachiko:

http://fantasygallery.net/wilson/art_5_kachiko-by-Matt-Wilson.html

Edited by kempy

KYD Tadaka's "You run, I die." (comma splice not withstanding) always resonates with me.

As for art?  Kachiko's art from letting in the Thunders (which they wisely centered on Time of the Void) is one of the single most impressive pieces of art in the game for evoking a pivotal moment and making people who don't know the game want to know . . . more . . . about the game.  I know, because I've taught more than 140 people how to play the RPG, and I always use that art as a selling point to convince them to play.  I have never known it not to work.

Interestingly, most of my favorite characters had rather crappy art on their cards.

Remembering characters like Kachiko really shows how flat the storyline became. She really was such a powerful personality.

Personal favourite of mine was Bayushi Yojiro. The paradigm of an honest scorpion (Junshin) and how it's both an asset and a burden is very itneresting to me. I used to always play him in my GE scorpion decks even though he was pretty much useless at the time. Always thought he was one of the personalities who was completely let down by card design.

Remembering characters like Kachiko really shows how flat the storyline became. She really was such a powerful personality.

I think that depends of time when someone entered a game. Everything before Samurai was a myth for me so that's why Chagatai and Khan's March are more closer and vibrant for me than Seven Thunders, Clan Wars etc because i joined game then just before Lotus end.

Edited by kempy