Sign in to follow this  
Joe Boss Red Seven

ROGUE ONE TRAILER TOMORROW!

The amount of MRA nonsense in this thread is bonkers. We have lived in a world dominated and twisted to suit one gender and one race in since the dawn of western civilization. If people push for diversity, even awkwardly, it is a good thing.

When you are used to privilege, equality can feel like oppression.

How many girls are in this forum?

I know there are some and they are very welcome. I hope there will be more.

But guess what? There won't. Because the nature of women is different to the nature of men.

So stop gasping about "a grown man, romance movie blah blah".

They are probably just trying to avoid comments like this.

No, they simply don't play this. Because they find it boring.

Unfortunately!

So, if the developer of a game knows, that most of the costumers will be male... it MIGHT BE an intelligent move, to give the male people what they want...? Just maybe...?

Or should they make all the ships pink from now on? And there are no cluster missiles anymore but all ships come with lipsticks from now on. How about that?

That's pretty much what they did with Ghostbusters.

Edited by Schu81

Unfortunately!

So, if the developer of a game knows, that most of the customers will be Male... it MIGHT BE an intelligent move, to give the male people what they want...? Just maybe...?

Or should they make all the ships pink from now on? And there are no cluster missiles anymore but all ships come with lipsticks from now on. How about that?

You sir are an idiot. Girls do play this and enjoy this. Including my 9 year old daughter! and a buddies wife. 

Take your closet sexism elsewhere. It is not welcome here. 

Calling it:  a Rogue One starter box featuring a big T-65 buff and two TIE Strikers.  U-Wing sold separately.

Think its unlikley to be another starter set, Though i could see a box set expansion with both ships covering atmospheric flight and ground attack rules..

The new Harry Potter play didn't need Black Hermione. Regardless of how you pictured her reading the books (and let's be honest, you pictured her as white) as a PLANET, we had white Hermione ingrained on our consciousness after Emma Watson played her in the films.

In general I agree, though I have to nitpick on Herminone. This is not an american character, the skin color is more or less irrelevant as long as the character is british / english.

Canon: brown eyes, frizzy hair and very clever. White skin was never specified. Rowling loves black Hermione

They claim that they just hired the best actress, but to be honest I don't care as long as it is a good actress, because using a diverse cast in itself is something nice too have. Nah if they would have used not a pale, red-hair for Ginny I would be not approving. ;)

@Toqtamish

Maybe you daughter plays it, because YOU HAVE shown it to her.

She'd most probably play any other game with you, too, if it was any good. :) ever thought about that?

Your wife wouldn't have started it in the first place though... it's because you did.

I am not sexist. I am realist :) so just shut up and calm down buddy.

Edited by Schu81

Unfortunately!

So, if the developer of a game knows, that most of the costumers will be male... it MIGHT BE an intelligent move, to give the male people what they want...? Just maybe...?

Men like cars. Why should they sell them to women? They belong in the kitchen anyway.

Unfortunately!

Troll. Who is your main account? I need to know which member of our community thinks this kind of commentary is acceptable.

Maybe you daughter plays it, because YOU HAVE shown it to her.

She'd most probably play any other game with you, too, if it was any good. :) ever thought about that?

Your wife wouldn't have started it in the first place though... it's because you did.

I am not sexist. I am realist :) so just shut up and calm down buddy.

Not my wife. Read the post. My daughter plays because she asked if she could. She owns and buys her own ships. 

We don't need your kind here. 

I dislike political agendas in Action & Fantasy movies. Those movies should be for entertainment.

Who is saying there is a political agenda with this movie?  If you have a star, you can just flip a coin to see if it's a male or female.  I mean, females are half the world.  

What I see is a movie that is for entertainment and everyone else projecting their political agendas on it.  

Diversity in roles is to promote the other half of the world to feel the sense of excitement in seeing someone like them up on the screen kicking ass and taking names with a real personality! Star Trek Beyond had the token ¨bad ass female¨ but really didn´t have any kind of real human depth to the character, so that fell flat. Yet Rey is someone that so many people look up to, I can not count the amount of people I know who did not even like Star Wars or want to see it before that are in love and Rey being a huge reason.

Diversity in no way hurts me as a man, because I have a million movies from the past 100 years I can watch lead by my gender, as well as new ones every year coming out, so yea, let the camera sit on someone else for a change because who is it honestly hurting?

I agree with you completely. I cried when she realized that The Force was calling to her, and she closed her eyes and she listened to it. That was better than most scenes in STAR WARS.

:wub:

Now imagine how much more special that would feel if you're a young female SW fan seeing that happen for the first ever time in a 30 year old series, where you might even have previously been slightly ostracized for being a fan of a "boys movie." Seeing proof on screen that this was NOT a boys movie, it was an everybody movie. Would you want to see a whole lot more of those kinds of moments in movies, maybe enough to erase the damage done by implicit gender messaging in all the previous ones?

The implicit messaging in all movies that girls are a secondary role. Now producers like Kennedy are trying to undo that and "make things right." If she doesn't have an agenda in the casting of women and minorities in these new movies, she **** well should.

Agendas are bad, she certainly shouldn't have one.

She should have what makes the movie work. In this case, you could have a male OR a female lead, so there's nothing wrong with having a female lead. Heck, I like a good female lead, freshens things up. 

But shoehorning things in (which I don't feel is happening with Star Wars btw) is not good for anyone.

Then you don't know what good story telling actually is... Hint: People have agendas when they write stories.

If the case is, that the agenda is, that woman can get **** done just as well as men, and you have a problem with that, then that is actually on you.

Well done missing the point.

Agendas in story - good. Agendas in the casting of your movie - bad.

If you'd bother to read my comment, you'll notice I actually DON'T have a problem - I think these new characters and movies will be great. Rey was the best part of TFA (after Harrison Ford acted everyone else off the screen)

What I do have a problem with is putting people in parts of movies for the sake of showing how inclusive you can be. Ghostbusters - didn't need female leads, we wanted a sequel. The new Harry Potter play didn't need Black Hermione. Regardless of how you pictured her reading the books (and let's be honest, you pictured her as white) as a PLANET, we had white Hermione ingrained on our consciousness after Emma Watson played her in the films.

No, if you want to be inclusive, write a part designed for a woman or a non-white person. It'll be better, won't be forced and there's a huge range of brilliantly skilled actors out there who will do well with the part. I don't know if they decided to have a female lead and then wrote the script, or the other way round. As long as Felicity Jones acts well in the movie, I'll be a happy Penguin. She looks fantastic so far.

All of the above goes for whitewashing too buy the way. If a character is something in a book or original media, that's how I expect them to be portrayed in the movie.

Of course they didn't NEED female Ghostbusters or a black Hermione.  But that's absolutely no reason not to have them.

And you know, there's a huge range of brilliantly skilled female and non-white actors who will do just as well in these parts.  We don't need to protect the group of actors who have consistently and unfailingly been catered to for decades.

What's wrong with you? :) Can't take a political conversation?

I have simply said there are NOT MANY girls playing this, because for the most part, men and women are different in nature. Often they like different things.

I wish there were more women playing this, but unfortunately there aren't. Read my posts.

Why so much hate? :D it's ridiculous.

Unfortunately!

You are a troll and a retard.

And my wife would beat your lousy ass with her lethal rebels :P

Afterwards, I would send you to a well deserved beating in a duel with my Age of Rebellion GM. A few hits with steel on your head might cure your stupidity.

Afterwards I am sure we can but some pretty lipstick on you. Sabine style with a spray can. ;-)

I dislike political agendas in Action & Fantasy movies. Those movies should be for entertainment.

Who is saying there is a political agenda with this movie?  If you have a star, you can just flip a coin to see if it's a male or female.  I mean, females are half the world.  

What I see is a movie that is for entertainment and everyone else projecting their political agendas on it.

In a perfect world this would be true. Flip a coin and see if the star is male or female, roll the dice to determine their ethnicity. Funny how the coin and dice keep coming up "white male" 99% of the time, almost like they're rigged.

Unfortunately!

So, if the developer of a game knows, that most of the customers will be Male... it MIGHT BE an intelligent move, to give the male people what they want...? Just maybe...?

You sir are an idiot. Girls do play this and enjoy this. Including my 9 year old daughter! and a buddies wife. 

Take your closet sexism elsewhere. It is not welcome here. 

Says the one calling all women girl's, fix your own definitions first before telling others to get out.

Unfortunately!

Troll. Who is your main account? I need to know which member of our community thinks this kind of commentary is acceptable.

Nobody thinks this is acceptable, because if he would think this is acceptable he would post with his main account. Alas, a 20 post socket puppet, well worth to get a warning for calling what he is

You are a troll and a retard.

And my wife would beat your lousy ass with her lethal rebels :P

Afterwards, I would send you to a well deserved beating in a duel with my Age of Rebellion GM. A few hits with steel on your head might cure your stupidity.

Afterwards I am sure we can but some pretty lipstick on you. Sabine style with a spray can. ;-)

Calling someone a "retard" does really seem highly intelligent while fighting a strange "social justice war" here.... I mean... do you really make fun of physically or mentally disabled people?

What's wrong with you?

Your wife would most probably NOT KNOW this game, if you hadn't shown it to her in the first place :) same goes for 90% of the wives playing this.

She might be good at this. And? :) Now what's the point? I don't care... actually I wish there were many good female players here. But there aren't. Because most women don't like this game. A lot of males do though because genders are different.

The new Harry Potter play didn't need Black Hermione. Regardless of how you pictured her reading the books (and let's be honest, you pictured her as white) as a PLANET, we had white Hermione ingrained on our consciousness after Emma Watson played her in the films.

In general I agree, though I have to nitpick on Herminone. This is not an american character, the skin color is more or less irrelevant as long as the character is british / english.

Canon: brown eyes, frizzy hair and very clever. White skin was never specified. Rowling loves black Hermione

They claim that they just hired the best actress, but to be honest I don't care as long as it is a good actress, because using a diverse cast in itself is something nice too have. Nah if they would have used not a pale, red-hair for Ginny I would be not approving. ;)

She's described as having a pale face, and is shown to be white on the front of the Prisoner of Azkaban. Imagine if Rowling had said she hated black Hermione - she'd never say anything else. Now if they'd introduced new characters then go wild. Heck, they made Dean Thomas Bblack and that worked. I just personally felt the character was very much ingrained the psyche and I found it jarring.

Of course they didn't NEED female Ghostbusters or a black Hermione.  But that's absolutely no reason not to have them.

And you know, there's a huge range of brilliantly skilled female and non-white actors who will do just as well in these parts.  We don't need to protect the group of actors who have consistently and unfailingly been catered to for decades.

I think forcing minority groups into existing things doesn't work, so there's a reason. Ghostbusters is flopping fairly hard, and they pushed the agenda too much. You're just better off creating a new story that allows the characters to enter the world naturally. 

Black Hermione is more a bugbear of mine because I read the books and watch the films and the character was very ingrained on my mind so it didn't look like she's grown up - it spoiled the sense of continuity and the world that had been created, but that's on me I guess. I'm sure she does a fantastic job as an actress. They could have had a black female lead in 'Fantastic Beasts' and that would have worked well. 

Again, not against having anyone lead in a movie, but I think that existing IP's should stay true to what existed before. 

Ghostbusters is flopping because 1) it's not very good, 2) the marketing campaign released some TERRIBLE trailers and 3) it's been a crowded summer where nothing is getting a chance to have legs because every week is bringing out Yet Another Major Hopeful Franchise.

Again, deciding to make an all-female Ghostbusters or a black Hermione isn't forcing anything.  It's a creative decision as much as giving Nick Fury an eye patch.  Someone thought their vision of the story would be best told with that particular cast and made the decision.  There wasn't some shadowy Social Justice Council meeting that decreed, "THOU MUST CAST FOUR WOMEN OR WE SHALL BE DISPLEASED."

Still looks like a b-rated action flick.

And thus, you hit the heart of what a Star Wars movie is.

Star Wars was about an encompassing Sci-Fan Space Opera. This is just an action flick with space ships and storm troopers, and a plot that looks half borrowed from the expendables as far as a operation goes.

I guess you don't Star Wars