Sign in to follow this  
Rat Catcher

Constructive Criticism

I was hoping we could put together a few 'bug bears' we have about the game. It's all done in good taste and may even be a benefit in the long run. So what if anything would you like to have see changed before release?

Personally:

I don't understand (nor agree) why halflings were left out of the core rules, they are a mainstay of WFRP

Ditto with magic using Elves. The elves taught humans magic but there's no elven spellcaster in the core rules.

To be honest, I can see why they excluded magic elves... granted I am not big on Elves in my game (they're few and far between in the Old World, outside of major cities and the deeps of the forests), but I gather from material that the power of the elves far surpass humanity. Thus, it's hard to include a potentially unbalanced magic system for a group of PCs that do not have equivalent power.

The RPG has always focused more on the grittier side of adventuring as compared with the spell slinging, magic item wielding powers of the various armies and hero units in the tactical versions of the game.

Incomplete magic system - spells (action cards) for only three winds.

But of course this was a lot easier to include when WFRP (1st and 2nd edition) was only a rulebook and not cards. I wonder how much more the boxed set would have cost if it had another 6x5=30 cards? Out of curiosity, I'd really love to see the break down of costs on producing a game like WFRP3...it's definitely an interesting choice to create an RPG with board game components, as it does seem to give us less content for more money. I don't think FFG are ripping us off, certainly not in the way people feel ripped off by GW, it's just an expensive way to make an RPG. Still, I certainly hope it succeeds: interesting core mechanic, good fun system, good time period for the setting.

Anyway, spells for only three out of eight winds of magic feels like something is missing. Compare this with the bestiary: even though it isn't broad, it feels like there is a good coverage of enemies and variations to keep adventurers on their toes for a while.

In v2, didn't they just say that Elves used the equivalent of one of the schools of magic and left it at that?  But that they didn't join the Empire guild.  I mean the idea is that an elf takes 100 years to master each school of magic and then becomes a true elven wizard (who can cast all schools of magic).  So you are just supposed to play an elf that has one school so far. 

I didn't notice a restriction in the carreers that said Elves couldn't be wizards.

Halflings are missed, to some degree.  They are a staple of Warhammer but they are such a lame race. 

Sarim Rune said:

Halflings are missed, to some degree.  They are a staple of Middle Earth but they are such a lame race. 

Fixed that for you.

And that is why I couldn't care less that they are gone for now.

Every fantasy setting, even the most RECENT, critically acclaimed ones, like Dragon Age, are just Tolkien-esque fantasy with a shiny new coat of paint.

It is ALWAYS some mix of humans, wood elves, high elves, dark elves, dwarfs and some kind of orc/demon/troll/gnoll/beast antagonist working for the Dark Evil one.

Let's move on, folks!

Oh, the day of the Halfling will come.  I just feel bad for those who are used to them; but they are pretty easy to make up, honestly. 

I for one, do not care in the slightest to see them gone.  They are one of Tolkiens creations, so are Orcs (at least the word and pretty much; how they act and behave).  I honestly do not think Warhammer needs Orcs as well since Chaos and all its permutations is enough evil for one place...orcs and lizardmen, just make it feel crowded.  But that is the same as hating on the Halfling.  

With that being said, when a party of dwarves gets laid down, it is time to out the greenskin madness and I love it.  Really, really fun games.  Same goes for Halflings.  I generally put them in low population towns, towns that are doing well as that is where I see Halflings spending their days. 

So, I will not ever mind spending money on them if they are in with other things for those people who love them just as much as I do not mind Orc stats even though my genre does not use them.

The mention that GW is trying to kill them is a great point...as I do not think GW wants them around anymore, with good reason, as they really are not a GW creation in the slightest and Chaos and Skaven, for the most part, are.  

You can also say the game has less content...but that really is not true either.  Never in the history of warhammer did you have nearly as many  options that the action cards provide.  A lot of attention in the core went toward non-specific action cards.

Halflings aren't being removed from the setting or backstories, so much as they're just being removed from the model line. No one over at Citadel feels like making halfling models, so they just don't mention them much anymore.

If you want to see halflings that would fit in just fine in the warhammer world, read Mary Gentle's Grunts.

commoner said:

The mention that GW is trying to kill them is a great point...as I do not think GW wants them around anymore, with good reason, as they really are not a GW creation in the slightest and Chaos and Skaven, for the most part, are.  

What about Elves and Dwarves? If GW wants to "Grimdark" their setting, they could just change Halflings to be less corny than their depictions in WFB material have been. Hot Pot catapults are admittedly stupid and juvenile, but they don't have to throw out the baby with the bathwater. WFRP never depicted Halflings in such a goofy way.

commoner said:

You can also say the game has less content...but that really is not true either.  Never in the history of warhammer did you have nearly as many  options that the action cards provide.  A lot of attention in the core went toward non-specific action cards.

Really? Because I am pretty sure the options in the last editions were unlimited.

1) Halflings will come in an expansion "soon", is what we are told by FFG.  Like the previous editions, WFRP3 decided to restrict races to 4 in the initial Core Set.  It was decided, rightly IMO, to split High Elves and Wood Elves into separate races.  So, you can't really only use one or the other.  You have to have humans.  So, do you replace Dwarves with halflings?  Heck no!  Halflings were the easiest (and probably least missed) race to leave out of the 4 Core Set races.  They'll be coming sometime.

2) Elf mages are much more powerful than their human counterparts.  They also study for longer than a human lives.  Elf magic has a whole plethora of difficulties in play balance that must be worked out, not to mention spells, etc.  It was too much and not appropriate for a Core Set, which is obviously focused on the basics of the game and early adventures.  I expect elf mages (and dwarf runecasters) will come about in an expansion, but they should not be included in the Core Set.

3) I agree it would have been nice if all the Colleges of Magic and all the major religions had cards included in the Core Set.  I expect it was an issue with space and money.  I imagine FFG is working on getting those to us quickly, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the next few expansions have some if not all of them (whether in one single expansion, or included in a couple)

One of the things that irritates me is that the box set would have been a golden opportunity to include a large fould-out Map of the Empire. That the box lacked such a map disappoints me. :/ It also irks me that there is no real advanced social career. Other than that and the fear that we will see random booster packs for 4th, I like it so far.

Necrozius said:

Sarim Rune said:

Halflings are missed, to some degree.  They are a staple of Middle Earth but they are such a lame race. 

Fixed that for you.

Every fantasy setting, even the most RECENT, critically acclaimed ones, like Dragon Age, are just Tolkien-esque fantasy with a shiny new coat of paint.

It is ALWAYS some mix of humans, wood elves, high elves, dark elves, dwarfs and some kind of orc/demon/troll/gnoll/beast antagonist working for the Dark Evil one.

Let's move on, folks!

Only Dragon Age has no halflings

One other note on Races in general.

How does FFG add new races to this game considering all the Class Cards specifically state exactly which of the 4 starting races can take the class? Does that seem short-sighted to anyone else besides me?

Jaime

The missing og maps with a scale.

The missing of a big inspiring map.

For that money ithink we could imagine a well organized GM screen.

Handouts for the players about charaktercreation - checklist.

Cards for weapons and armour.

A bigger adventure istead of lame fluff books (at least if you already the second edition)

A scenario contest.

At least 3 free downloadble Adventure of the Size of the Starting adventure.

The opportunity to buy the action cards separately.

And a much better organisation/Layout of the rules (who was responsible for that?)

Give us more free stuff to download Adventures, Maps, Pictures of every Monster, 200 NPCS with pics etc.

But at all i must confess I played the game 3 times as Game Master and I really love it its a step in a new refreshing direction.

Necrozius said:

Sarim Rune said:

Fixed that for you.

Let's move on, folks!

I very much like that halflings are not present in WHFRP3. They are hardly present in Warhammer Fantasy Battle as well.

Tang86 said:

I very much like that halflings are not present in WHFRP3. They are hardly present in Warhammer Fantasy Battle as well.

Yeah if someone wants to play as a Hobbit so badly, play a Lord of the Rings RPG or Dungeons & Dragons.

Amirite? gran_risa.gif

...can of worms... opened...