Sign in to follow this  
Professor Tanhauser

A parrticularly risky campaign thread idea i had

Here's an idea for a particularly risky campaign thread I had and wanted to get fb on.

Basically if I get a campaign together I want to add this as an important metaplot device but it could be risky.

Inquisitor Ezu Grhaile,  noted for her extreme views on the tyranid menace and its status as the greatest threat facing the imperium, has begun advocating a bold and innovative, or heretical and treasonous as some call it, plan to fight the tyranids in the jerickho reach

She advocates ceasing all offensive operations, as well as most defensive ones, against the tau in the sector.

As she so reasonably put it "If a world and it's people are lost to the tyranids, it and they are done and gone forever. The world's resources, it's very life, will be consumed by the tyranid fleet to create more hive ships, more hive fleets and more tyranid horrors. The people are dead and consumed, their bodies turned into resources for the tyran ids, and new hive ships will be borne to repeat the cycle until every world in the imperium is eaten and every human consumed.

"If a world falls to the tau, the world still lives, the people still live and both may one day be reclaimed by the imperium. As such, it may well be better to allow the tau to take some worlds while we devote our full force and fury to the vastly greater tyranid menace. Later, after exterminating the last of the tyranid presence in the sector, we can turn our attention back to the worlds taken by the tau and reclaim them, bringing their population back into the emperor's light and making the imperium stronger and larger than before."

Needless to say her plan has generated....intense debate among the high powers of the Jericho sector, with many calling for her incineration while others say their is much wisdom in her words. In general those who have seen the tyranid fleets in actions and the results of their attacks on worlds often find themselves hard pressed not to agree with at least some of what she says. Those who have only faced the tau tend to be her most rabid opponents. They claim the tau's warped philosophy and insidious ideas would be so corrupting that they would destroy more imperial citizens than the tyranids and it's better to die in the jaws of a tyranid than to have your soul corrupted and damned by the tau.

So i was thinking of adding this as a thread, a metaplot, and basically let the players decide who they support. I could see it as a debate between players and could make things interesting if we can avoid PvP level conflict. While i would remain neutral on the issue as a GM I personally favor Grhaile's idea, well, especially since it's actually my idea of course. :lol:

So what say you my brothers? Would this be a good metaplot to work in to let the players think on and debate among themselves? And of course if anyone wants to steal it go ahead.

I like it. It could open up some interesting RP opportunities. Debates, Arguments, even fights.

If you had the group almost unanimously decide on one way or the other, make the higher ups think otherwise 

Or even have the players actually affect real change within the Imperium of Man, break the GW stagnation!

Your plan seems to make the most sense.

The imperium also once tried steering a hive fleet towards an ork held system. That kinda backfired as we now have bigger orks vs bigger tyranids and nearby systems now have to face both these threats.

Altough I wonder what would happen if the Tau go "Hey those 'nids really are a threat! How about we team up against them, eh?"

Indeed. A nice plan B would be to try and get the Tau to have to commit resources to fight the nids too - a genestealer cult established within tau space might draw vanguard fleet elements there instead and make them much more amenable to a deal.....