Sign in to follow this  
pendrake71

Non-Astartes Characters

Ah, I took it as you where patronizing an in-universe Sister, since (as a he :P) I tend to think of myself as a Ministorum Priest. If I had realized the comment was directed me I would have said something tounge-in-cheek, like "How dare you look down upon a loyal servant of the Emperor, you faithless circuit worshiper!"

(Roy Batty voice) Yes! That's the spirit!|

I honestly had the imp0ression you were female, no offense was meant not that it should be taken as an offense if someone doesn't automatically assume you're a male. Actually I was hoping you were a femme as it would be utterly fascinating to have a female player in this oh so drearily  masculine universe...

Sorry to disappoint -_- . I didn't take offense, quite the opposite I found it rather funny.

Edit: This never came up on the Bolter & Chainsword (which is where the username came from, since I was only a Blood Angels player when I created the account), since they have a slot in your profile to indicate gender, if you choose to do so, and it shows up on all of your posts. :P

Edited by Servant of Dante

I think the only "fanatic" here is you... for f*cks sake don't get so triggered by an actual reasonable post on this forum about your oh-so precious Sisters of Battle.

They're not an important part of the lore, they're not a popular army, their implementation into the setting borders on laughable when you actually read about it and to be frank they are a boring take on the Ecclesiarchy as a whole.

You find it unreasonable that the Sisters would be expanded? Well let me respond with how the Imperium simply does not care. They don't care about your "force" of 100k battle nuns spread across the galaxy thinner than butter on toast, not when actual forces like the Tempestus Scions and the Imperial Guard exist to combat the enemies of the Emperor. Your precious Sisterhood is a small bunch of lunatics given far more equipment and attention than they deserve considering the tiny contribution they actually make to the safety of the Imperium.

So just shut up and stop cramming your own stubborn ideals down everyone's throat.

Wow... just wow.

So you come out of nowhere bitchin' about how some of us view the SoB? Nobody needs to shut up about anything on these forums ok? Clear of and go back to BOLS!

Ah, I took it as you where patronizing an in-universe Sister, since (as a he :P) I tend to think of myself as a Ministorum Priest. If I had realized the comment was directed me I would have said something tounge-in-cheek, like "How dare you look down upon a loyal servant of the Emperor, you faithless circuit worshiper!"

I honestly had the imp0ression you were female, no offense was meant not that it should be taken as an offense if someone doesn't automatically assume you're a male. Actually I was hoping you were a femme as it would be utterly fascinating to have a female player in this oh so drearily  masculine universe...

Sorry to disappoint -_- . I didn't take offense, quite the opposite I found it rather funny.

Well, so do I in a slightly embarrassed way... :unsure:

Signature amended to avoid misleading others in the future!

It's kinda my fault for using a gender-neutral username, and an image of a Battle Sister, then not clarifying that I'm a guy.

It's kinda my fault for using a gender-neutral username, and an image of a Battle Sister, then not clarifying that I'm a guy.

I had an inkling. ;) Still not sure about Lynata, tough. ;)

Me either. Not bothered, since it's not particularly important, but I have been reminding myself to use gender-neutral pronouns.

Me either. Not bothered, since it's not particularly important, but I have been reminding myself to use gender-neutral pronouns.

Or just call everybody "she" like they do in some RPGs. :D

well, since we're already of topic (and I don't care about that anyway) what got you int the SoB? I got into chaos because my first white dwarf (WD 132) had a an entire article about all the chaos daemons

For my own part I've laid out already why I see them as a useful and necessary force in the *KOFF* reality *KOFF* of the 40k universe. They make an excellent force to react quickly to trouble, and given their fanaticism and cloistered lifestyles they are far less vulnerable to corruption than most other forces.

As to other reasons... In the background they are of course reminiscent of nuns in the dark ages. originally nuns were women left husbandless because so many men were sent off to the crusades, the catholic church saw large numbers of unmarried women as "invitation to sin", plus saw a profitable sideline there, and so more or less rounded them up, marched them off to nunneries and essentially turned them into slaves of the church. Thus preventing sin and turning them into resources for the church to exploit. (I have a cynical view of most real world religions, I'm afraid. I do hope I step on no toes here.)

The SoBs reflect this as Vandire saw the daughters of the emperor as a resource to exploit and did in fact enslave and exploit them. So again the 40k universe echoes the dark ages.

Also I know the idea of women soldiers just ticks off some people I like ticking off whenever, and as intensely, as I possibly can. :P (None of them here AFAIK)

Or just call everybody "she" like they do in some RPGs. :D

well, since we're already of topic (and I don't care about that anyway) what got you int the SoB? I got into chaos because my first white dwarf (WD 132) had a an entire article about all the chaos daemons

Well, again, I apologize to pendrake71 for derailing his thread so much.

Because I'm in the mood, I'm going to be silly and tell you a little story . . .

A man stood in a used book store, looking at the sci-fi section. He picks up a book with a familiar title. He knows it's a game a few of his friends play, called Warhammer 40,000. It looks interesting, and the descriptions of the emperor in that (third edition main) rulebook, where fascinating. He would not purchase a copy of this out-of-date edition for a few years.

Once (October 2013) there was a . . . well, I'd rather not give out my age . . . person who had just gotten all hyped up to play 40k by a friend (a friend who can't be bothered to play his space puppies anymore). This friend told our person that in the area, there was no one playing Chaos, Dark Angels, or Blood Angels. Our person thought about doing Daemons (what a dark day . . . ), but settled on the red Angels of Baal. He fell in love with everything about the Blood Angels, especially their Chapter Master. At some point in there he joined a forum called the Bolter and Chainsword. More than that, our person fell in love with the Imperium of Man, the Emperor, and this set of rules we call Warhammer 40,000 (the tabletop wargame, that is)

Our person grew fond of calling his opponent a Heretic, and calling out "For the Emperor!" as he played (not to loudly, mind you, he was, and is, rather worried about annoying the others in the building).

Then, one day he took a closer look at that strange army on the GW webstore, and for the first time he truly *saw* the Exorcist tank. He almost bought into the army then and there, but he was unsure what people would think of a guy playing an army of women miniatures.

Almost a year later, our person read Yarrick: Imperial Creed, and the fire of the call to the Ecclesiarchy was lit within him anew (he did not realize at the time that the author had made the mistake of assuming an Ecclesiarchy Cardinal had any real authority over the Sisters of Battle, but that is not impertant). In August of 2015, Servant of Dante began his Sisters army, and the Order of the Glorious Reprisal was born (some time later).

~

But really, I just adore the models, and the fluff is amazing, and I was already into calling people Heretics, which isn't necessarily proper for the Blood Angels. Oh, and my order fluff is undergoing reconstruction. I just got my copy of the 2E codex. Part of me wishes I had been around to play Sisters sooner, but as one person on the B&C pointed out, I joined the Ecclesiarchy at their darkest hour (model-range and support-wise), which is a little impressive.

I strive to maintain all aspects of Sisters fluff. I refuse the idea of 3rd party models for my army (personal preference, and it has led to me writing repentia out of my Order's fluff). I tell my opponent that I don't care if they play Grey Knights, they are fighting Sisters, so they are heretics. I maintain that I would sooner update the codex myself that use my Sisters as counts-as marines. I refuse to purchase non-Imperium models on principal (how could I look my Sisters in the eye if I did?).

That Khorne Berserker head I have haunts me. I should really melt it. PURGE IT IN THE FIRES OF HIS HOLY PROMETHIUM!

So, yeah that's that. Questions? ^_^

For my own part I've laid out already why I see them as a useful and necessary force in the *KOFF* reality *KOFF* of the 40k universe. They make an excellent force to react quickly to trouble, and given their fanaticism and cloistered lifestyles they are far less vulnerable to corruption than most other forces.

As to other reasons... In the background they are of course reminiscent of nuns in the dark ages. originally nuns were women left husbandless because so many men were sent off to the crusades, the catholic church saw large numbers of unmarried women as "invitation to sin", plus saw a profitable sideline there, and so more or less rounded them up, marched them off to nunneries and essentially turned them into slaves of the church. Thus preventing sin and turning them into resources for the church to exploit. (I have a cynical view of most real world religions, I'm afraid. I do hope I step on no toes here.)

The SoBs reflect this as Vandire saw the daughters of the emperor as a resource to exploit and did in fact enslave and exploit them. So again the 40k universe echoes the dark ages.

Also I know the idea of women soldiers just ticks off some people I like ticking off whenever, and as intensely, as I possibly can. :P (None of them here AFAIK)

Eh, the Catholic church was pretty messed up for a (long) while there. BURN THE HERETIC! IMPERATOR VULT! :P

i never saw an exorcist tank before. I looked it up.

Wow, that thing's insane even by 40k standards!

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/gallery/data/555/Exorcist.jpg

https://turkadactyl.com/2016/06/12/adepta-sororitas-more-exorcist-tanks/

A giant mobile steam.organ that fires missiles out of the pipes....wow, what was the guy who came up with that smoking?!

I also note that there are two models, o e made on mars. The mars made one is more revered because it comes from a workd close to holy tetra and the big E himself.

Uh, yeah, ladies. You do know mars is ruled by the heretical followers of the machine god, right?

Edited by Professor Tanhauser

i never saw an exorcist tank before. I looked it up.

Wow, that thing's insane even by 40k standards!

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/gallery/data/555/Exorcist.jpg

There are some Sisters players who don't like it either, so you aren't alone.

Personally, I love it. It shoots d6 missiles each time it fires, so I like to imagine that the number of missiles fired depends on the skill of the organist. I guess they probably play chant and what not, but I like the idea of some kind of metal piece, except with 8 voice parts and organ, instead of traditional rock instrumentation. Not sure how that would sound, but I'm sure they could make it epic. Just imagine any epic guitar riff (like the one below), but played on organ with maybe some additional harmonies, and accompanied by several hundred voices as they fire their boltguns into the heretic ranks.

That smells like techno-heresy (apparently I've decided that techno-heresy has a distinctive odor).

Anyhow, if we're going to continue this discussion, let's take it here. I made a thread just for this kind of thing and get out of the OP's hair (two pages later  :P).

Our person grew fond of calling his opponent a Heretic, and calling out "For the Emperor!" as he played (not to loudly, mind you, he was, and is, rather worried about annoying the others in the building).

But really, I just adore the models, and the fluff is amazing, and I was already into calling people Heretics, which isn't necessarily proper for the Blood Angels. Oh, and my order fluff is undergoing reconstruction. I just got my copy of the 2E codex. Part of me wishes I had been around to play Sisters sooner, but as one person on the B&C pointed out, I joined the Ecclesiarchy at their darkest hour (model-range and support-wise), which is a little impressive.

I strive to maintain all aspects of Sisters fluff. I refuse the idea of 3rd party models for my army (personal preference, and it has led to me writing repentia out of my Order's fluff). I tell my opponent that I don't care if they play Grey Knights, they are fighting Sisters, so they are heretics. I maintain that I would sooner update the codex myself that use my Sisters as counts-as marines. I refuse to purchase non-Imperium models on principal (how could I look my Sisters in the eye if I did?).

That Khorne Berserker head I have haunts me. I should really melt it. PURGE IT IN THE FIRES OF HIS HOLY PROMETHIUM!

So, yeah that's that. Questions? ^_^

I got a question! "How do i get out of this chickenshit outfit?" :D sorry couldn't resist, been listening to the Aliens audiobook for a while.

For the Emperor! So you admit you are Alpha Legion! ;) It's their war cry to. Before the horus heresy novels it was assumed they were trolling. Now we know they might actually mean it...

Ah yes, the exorcist: I bet one day the designers found out the Russian Katyusha rocket launcher's were nicknamed "Stalin's Organ" and wondered what it would look like it they actually looked like a musical organ.

I tough GW made official sisters repentia models.  You're free not to use them of course.

As a update, I sat down with both Player-A and Player-B and we discussed options and ramifications.  While I was still willing to accommodate them if they felt that actively &/or strongly about it (as both a reasonable GM and their friend), it was ultimately and mutually decided that they would play Astartes characters.

That sounds great! Much better to remain within the system all of this stuff has been written for, not to mention that you don't have to come up with any special excuse/explanation for a mixed team.

I also wouldn't foresee any problems that would lead to a suggested return to non-Astartes characters. It's true that the game can be deadly, but if that is their problem, why roll something even squishier? ;)

As for the off-topic, I really think that's unavoidable with threads that go on for multiple pages. This is just how human beings and public forum works: Someone is bount to pick up on a comment someone else has made, and things just roll from there. I'm also sure we would have quickly returned to your question, had it not already been resolved at this point. ;)

Space marines fight everything. You name it, marines are meant to fight it. Sisters are mostly meant to fight heretics, rebels and possibly chaos forces. They really aren't meant to fight ork invasions and such. But of course they would do their best agsinst one.

"Heretics" can include aliens and Astartes, so their mandate is pretty far-reaching, and even though the "oursourced" material (Black Library novels, FFG RPGs) commonly do not present them as such, the GW main studio themselves have indeed presented the Sisters of Battle as "female Marines", in a way (the tabletop term would be MEQ: Marine Equivalent):

"Heretics take many forms. Most are lost humans, whose weak minds have been corrupted by the manifold temptations of a dark and sinister galaxy. None are immune - planetary governors, Imperial Guard Commanders and even whole Space Marine Chapters have been declared heretic and been exterminated as such by the Sisters of Battle. Yet there is no stricture within the Ecclesiarchy that heresy is a purely human crime. Aliens can also be sanctioned as heretics - that the creed against which they transgress is not their own is of no account. Nevermore so is this true than of the alien who chances his army against the Emperor's Will by inciting rebellion, subverting the will of Imperial subjects, or invading by force. Genesis matters naught - all heretics are damned, and all must be purged with fire, lest their apostasy gather a following."

- WD #382

(sidenote: Citadel Journal #49 even included an article written by Andy Hoare, with an army list about a dedicated, deep-striking anti-marine strike force to "disable the entire organisation from the top down" -- I doubt they'd be capable to pull this off within FFG's ruleset)

And ultimately, it's the Space Marines who GW keeps comparing them to:

"The Sisters of Battle are exceptionally well equipped, with armour and weapons the equal of any Space Marine Chapter."

- 3E C:WH

"As the Chamber Militant of the galaxy-spanning Ecclesiarchy, the Sisters of Battle are fierce warriors that are equals to their brother Space Marines. What the Sisters lack in genetic enhancement they make up for in faith and devotion."

- archived GW website

"The Adepta Sororitas are organised along similar lines to the Space Marines. The Sisterhood, as it is generally known, is led by an Abbess and includes many lesser ranks and officers in a similar way to the Adeptus Astartes."

- 1E Rogue Trader

"Each Convent has its own fleets and runs its own affairs in much the same way as the Space Marine Chapters."

- 2E Codex Imperialis

Obviously, that still doesn't mean they're the same, especially as that would also be pretty lame. However, there is a significant overlap, which to ignore would effectively lessen this army's appeal, to the point of making them entirely redundant.

That said i had some thought on using sisters of battle in my DW setting and would share them and welcome feedback on them.

There is no canon in 40k, so of course all of us can follow the interpretation they prefer! But personally, I would say that ignoring Games Workshop on the topic of the Sisterhood's size and equipment quality would change a lot about their perception; for a fan like me, they'd lose a part of what makes them special, and I can't really agree that it makes the setting any more realistic (several reasons for their small size have been mentioned earlier).

If you truly wanted a more efficient Imperium, you should just do away with both the Sisters as well as the Marines, as both organisations are incredibly wasteful, and focus on improving the Imperial Guard. But would an "efficient" 40k really be the 40k we know and love? I predict it would no longer be unique, as the setting thrives on this lack of reason.

That being said, it sounds like your preferences are pretty closely aligned to what FFG has been doing, considering that the numbers they've provided for DH1 are suspiciously high (compared to codex fluff, about 1/4 of all the Major Orders of the entire Imperium would have amassed in that one sector, which leads me to believe that either due to neglect or intentional dismissal they just don't go with GW's numbers).

I think the only "fanatic" here is you... for f*cks sake don't get so triggered by an actual reasonable post on this forum about your oh-so precious Sisters of Battle. [...]

Wow. I think you got "triggered" even more.

Whilst I do think that Servant has worded their response needlessly harsh, thus risking an escalation in tone (which Tanhauser thankfully did not pick up on), it was nothing compared to the insults and deliberate, insensitive trashtalk you're spouting. I think given the lack of attention this army usually suffers from, it should be at least somewhat understandable that some fans may react rather defensive when even the few sources that do address them are sought to be ignored to have their in-universe portrayal match their out-of-universe popularity (by what feels like making them weaker, more numerous, effectively "Guard +1").

Your argument isn't even internally consistent when you insist the Imperium doesn't care about the Sisters (which it does, as you yourself have pointed out), but use this to support an expensive and difficult expansion of the organisation. And yes, I also believe you have read far, far less about the Sisters than either Servant or I did.

And whilst I totally agree about the Sororitas "being given far more equipment and attention than they deserve", the same can be said of the Space Marines. But that's part of the grimdark; do you see anyone bitching about that?

For the future, I would appreciate if you'd show a little more restraint and empathy, both for the sake of a discussion you engage in as well as your own reputation. Someone who starts a post with cursewords is unlikely to be taken seriously when they complain about a lack of civility.

Edited by Lynata

Just on the record i really didn't want any conflict at all, let alone any escalation. I like debate, discussion, feedback, fair critiques, yes. Not 'conflict'. And i do regret if refering to SoD as 'dear sister' came off as anything other thst an 'in character' reff, like a player may refer to another playng a SoB when talking in character.

As to ignoing gw's background, in some ways i!m siding with it by equaling sister weapons and armor with the marines.

As to boostibg their numbers....i just kinda have to in order to make them more significant. As is their numbers would make them really strategically insignificant. Whrn.you look at all the dire threats tge imoetium fasces, especially the jeticho sector,

it seems like they need to be boosting their forces and the SoBs seem like an ideal candidate for expanison.

Realistically, the imperium needs to be boosting its fleet because the best way to beat the nids is in space, in ship actions befrie they set a single claw on a planet. But realism vs boribg games.....realism loses.

You've read more on the Sisters than me? Well... I guess I just can't compete then, better pack my bags and f*ck right off. Say, name one source after 3rd Ed you've actually used to describe your precious Sisterhood? See I'm no expert, but from what I have read it almost like all the Sisters are good for in M41 is being fuel for Grey Knights, sh*tty back-up for Flesh Tearers to get nommed on by Nids, dying in droves against the Crons, and lets not forget being spread so woefully thin across the Galaxy as to be completely forgettable.

The equal to Marines? Forge World disagrees most vehemently. Have their own fleets? Debunked old canon has no place here, unless you also allow me to include my Chaos Androids and Half-Eldar Chief Librarians.

Are the Marines wasteful and stupid as well? Sure they are, I prefer the Scions as my elite army of choice anyhow. But to the Bolter nuns, I wish they would just get with the program and stop acting like they're some great defenders of anything but the Church's dogma. They're enforcers of the Ministorum, nothing more and calling them protectors of the Imperium is an insult to those armies actually doing something about the threats looming against mankind.

Edited by SCKoNi

Are the Marines wasteful and stupid as well? Sure they are, I prefer the Scions as my elite army of choice anyhow. But to the Bolter nuns, I wish they would just get with the program and stop acting like they're some great defenders of anything but the Church's dogma. Their enforcers of the Ministorum, nothing more and calling them protectors of the Imperium is an insult to those armies actually doing something about the threats looming against mankind.

Actually I find your assumption even more insulting. Not once do you mention The Imperial Guard/Navy (since I'm not renaming them to Astra Militare, bugger that) are the most valuable fighting force in the entire Imperium and do more good for it than the Marines, Sisters and the Officio put together. They fight daily wars everywhere. They fight for as well as die for countless worlds, locations and items. Their numbers are immeasurable and while they lack the pomp and ceremony that everyone else gets, it is the daily struggle of the guard that keeps the Imperium functioning. This is why they are nicknamed as The Hammer of the Emperor.

Space marines cannot be everywhere, they are stretched too thin for this and thus it is the bravery and resilience of ordinary humans which keeps the borders that little bit safer. Even if their only purpose is meat for the grinder, they die in service and with bravery. They may not have the training of a marine or the strength or the equipment but the thing of note is that there are millions of them for each marine and all it takes is one lucky shot guided by the hand of the Emperor. The Imperium can commit many of these into the slaughter without risk. These are your true protectors of the Imperium against the threats and all of the rest are the support for these forces.

an insult to those armies actually doing something about the threats looming against mankind.

Yeah, I did mention them if not in name. We're saying the same thing here.

The Imperial Guard, PDF, Skitarii, Tempestus Scions, Imperial Navy, Frateris Militia, Arbites, etc. are what hold the Imperium together. Gather up all your bolter nuns and power armored supermen and they form just a drop in the bucket.

Keep your so-called heroes and wasteful traditions, but don't delude yourselves that the Sisters of Battle are anything but a sad reminder to the grim time in the Imperium's history known as the Reign of Blood and the last vestiges of a madman's dream.

Edited by SCKoNi

The marines are the imperium's special forces, clearly. Their "seal team 6" types who do the very special, critical missions.

Let's not forget the marines do a lot that don't show up on the stat lines in 40k. They are rigorously conditioned to control their fear to a level that would have entire regiments of IG defecating their pants and running screaming. They are mentally conditioned and indoctrinated by means that would be impractical to apply on a large scale. Also they can operate under conditions that no normal human can even survive under. They have gear the imperium can't mass produce enough to effectively supply the guard with.

They can carry out preciscion raids and missions that have a huge effect on the enemy. Remove an ork warlord, his empire falls apart as his subordinates fight over command. An entire waaaugh can be avoided by one precise marine strike.  A marine mission against a tyranid hive ship can cripple an invasion of a world.

The marines do a lot of stuff that doesn;t show up in the scale of 40k.  that doesn't make them a waste. If a marine prescision strike takes out an eldar farseer that is leadig a series of attacks agains the imperium, they end the whole seris of attacks. they are a useful force, and worth the investment.\

Say, name one source after 3rd Ed you've actually used to describe your precious Sisterhood?

The WD article mentioning the Sisters' mandate in hunting down aliens and rogue Space Marines. Their equipment standards have also been reprinted in the 6E codex, though, which perhaps you should give a brief reading to school yourself on the battles fought by the Orders Militant. General Kurov of the Armageddon Command Guard, for one, would seem to disagree with your opinion on their role.

http://web.archive.org/web/20021004212519/http://www.armageddon3.com/English/Campaign/Troops/shroud.html

But as we're discussing sources, I'd be quite interested in seeing any core studio fluff that supposedly "debunks" anything I've said. Please go ahead and provide us with a quote and source in the same verifiable manner as I did before. And I mean codices, White Dwarves or web articles, not some Black Library novel or FW army book -- I think we are all aware that the portrayal of any army may differ quite a bit between GW, FW, BL and FFG.

On a sidenote, I don't know why you think you could provoke me by mentioning the Bloodtide. It's a very 40k story, and ultimately it only reinforces the image of the Sisterhood as the purest army of the Imperium.

You really seem to have a chip on your shoulder when it comes to the Sororitas. Keep in mind that it's one thing to just dislike something, but a whole different matter to go around and talk gak about it.

Edited by Lynata