Sign in to follow this  
GrimmyV

Forget waves 9 and 10, let's fix the E-wing!

how about a droid that unlocks Talon roll and Sloops and then gives him a free focus. That could be fun. could also benefit Y's and X's too! Then introduce a Wraith Squadron pilot. Give him standard stat line and ability line + EPT and PS 5. 

Edited by Wiredin

You'd need a new dial unless it gave you the ability to turn your dialed K-turn into a troll or sloop in either direction

And that'd be sexy but we still need a significant point discount for it to matter

Another thing we could do is make the fix a mod, which means no Eu corran but leaves the astro slot open for FCS + R7 Astro

Edited by ficklegreendice

I have played many many games against Corran, (my brother loves playing him) and yes, i have seen him regenerate up to triple his shield value over the course of a game, but the only time this happens is if I make a mistake and allow him to do so.

There is almost nothing my opponent can do to save Corran when i want him dead, at least against the lists i run. Even with Regen, he is too squishy for the point cost.

If i see a list with Corran, Corran is going to be the first to die, he is going to die fast, and after my opponent loses nearly 50 points, not much they can do to recover.

Corran doesn't need a buff. (Please, for the love of God, don't make PtL + AdvS Corran any more of a monster . . . ). The reason you don't see him has more to do with the meta than with him being a bad ship. There are a lot of lists out there with high first-round damage output, and that neuters regen.

On the other hand, if you can find a way around that problem, he'll work out just fine. Take the Corran + Wes + Biggs list -- winning two Regionals and placing Top 4 at Nationals is no mean feat.

For that reason, I tend to agree with the idea of making the E-Wing fix an astromech, although I'd rather have a few astromechs to allow for some variety

There is a kinda lazy cheap way to both keep the slot and not overpower the E

It just involves doing EXACTLY what smugglers compartment did:

0 point mod + benefit + go ahead equip another mod BUT **** YOUR ENGINE UPGRADE

so there you go

Ewing only astromech slot upgrade that gives another astromech slot but disallows four point (or higher which don't exist) Astros, ie r2d2 ONLY

Call it "advanced uplink" or w.e and just make sure it's LIMITED or we're going to have a field day with the infinite astromech wormhole it'd create :P

Corran won't be the first to die if he has Biggs :P

But yeah, Regen in this day and age isnt the monster it used to be what with offense going through the roof now

Not to mention Mr Ren in wave 10 and BMSTs in wave 9

Yes, Biggs does throw a wrench into my gears, but its basically to the point where he has to be handcuffed to Biggs, or your just throwing away 50 points.

Two ship lists you can forget about Corran in the current Meta.

Sure, E-wing generics could use help just like nearly all small base generic ships in X-wing right now. A generic title that helps nearly all small ships would be nice. Individual ship fixes would take year and years.

For anyone who said Corran needs some help I respectfully & STRONGLY disagree.

Just a few days ago at Gen Con, Corran Horn was #1 after 9 rounds of swiss!!! [finished top4]

Specifically VI / fire-control / R2-D2 Corran with Wes Janson & Biggs.

This is even the Corran light version. PTL engine Corran is my biggest NPE ship.

Sure, E-wing generics could use help just like nearly all small base generic ships in X-wing right now. A generic title that helps nearly all small ships would be nice. Individual ship fixes would take year and years.

For anyone who said Corran needs some help I respectfully & STRONGLY disagree.

Just a few days ago at Gen Con, Corran Horn was #1 after 9 rounds of swiss!!! [finished top4]

Specifically VI / fire-control / R2-D2 Corran with Wes Janson & Biggs.

This is even the Corran light version. PTL engine Corran is my biggest NPE ship.

Yes,  But like i mentioned, and FGD i think alluded to, is he is handcuffed to Biggs. Put him on almost any other list and he becomes extremely squishy atleast from my experience.

Meh I don't agree most small base generic ships need help

It's more that most of the ships that need help are small base generic ships

Sounds the same; the implication is wildly different

For one, a lot of large base ships suck too. If it ain't a scout or palps mobile home, its generic sucks. In fact, the ORS arguably sucks the most out of anything in the game ATM

Basically, base size is irrelevant. It's more one of two problems

1.) The ship doesn't do enough (re the bog standard "look mAh I'm jousting" and nothing else X-Wing)

2.) The ship does cool things but is priced as if it were built out of solid gold (Ewing but also punisher)

You can't issue a blanket fix for either base size without failing to address the issue of one of these categories

Again, large ships aren't the issue

See any outerrim smugglers tearing the place up? No?

How about wild space fingers?

Or, let's be less facetious. How about them good ole imperial Bounty Hunters? They used to be a thing WAY back in the day

The real issue is some ships just suck/are overpriced

Some ships seem to work in their niche

And some ships go on to become the meta Boogeyman you use to scare your X-Wings when they're misbehaving

fair enough, yes, not all ships are glorious.

I think a new generic E-Wing pilot could help bring something back into the fold, and a price reduction without allowing EU is a good plan. Regen is whatever, they kind of need it and the cost is worth it. Nuke the engine upgrade. OR give it boost, take away the regen. make the player choose between one or the other and give a -3 cost reduction. 

Another way to fix E-Wings without buffing the standard Corran build is to take away the Astromech slot for something (extra hull, negative points, etc).

Systems Retrofit

E-Wing only

This card has a negative points cost

Astromech, -2 points

or

Systems Retrofit

Title, E-Wing only

Your upgrade bar loses the (Astromech) icon.  If you equip a (Systems) upgrade, its squad point cost is reduced by 2 to a minimum of 0.

0 points.

Edited by FTS Gecko

Another way to fix E-Wings without buffing the standard Corran build is to take away the Astromech slot for something (extra hull, negative points, etc).

Systems Retrofit

E-Wing only

Astromech, -2 points

LIMITED

Your upgrade bar gains the ASTROMECH icon

You may only equip astromech upgrades of 3 squad points or less

Or remove limited and the astro icon and just make it a title :P

Meh I don't agree most small base generic ships need help

It's more that most of the ships that need help are small base generic ships

Sounds the same; the implication is wildly different

For one, a lot of large base ships suck too. If it ain't a scout or palps mobile home, its generic sucks. In fact, the ORS arguably sucks the most out of anything in the game ATM

I appreciate your perspective. The way you say it in your first two sentences is quite opaque though. From what I can tell we are mostly in agreement? :)

The ORS example is mostly moot because it will never be fixed & people don't really seem to care about it. Whereas, the Starviper was voted top Scum ship for the Coruscant Open. People care about it. Just like how everyone in this thread cares about E-wing generics.

The Gen Con results are by far the best indicator of the current state of X-wing.

Large Base Generics in the top8

> VCX-100 / YV-666 / Jumpmaster / Lamda Shuttle

Small Base Generics in the top 8

> Y-wing

That is a large disparity, especially considering that small base ship types outnumber large base ones.

(of course Tie Fighters, Z-95's, & A-wings generics are good & can make top8 at high level events)

A limited number of new Pilots and upgrade cards are released every year. The quickest way to realistically help the largest number of sub-standard ships is with upgrades that target most small base generic pilots. Nerfs are not practical enough as you can't implement a nerf with an upgrade card.

I still don't think that'd help a whole lot as the small ships have very different problems from one another and there are plenty of named small ships that kick all the ass there is to kick

the E-wing's problem is that it's stupidly overpriced. The x-wing's case is that it's overpriced for what it does (jousting) and it really doesn't do a whole lot (jousting and...jousting?)

issuing a blanket fix would also probably not help much because the first thing you'd get would be imp vet defenders running around all over the place, and probably not a whole lot else. They're pretty incredible as is

which is why you have to take the time to get everything on a ship by ship basis

the only blanket fix I could've seen taking off without making Veteran Defenders even better is Vectored Thrusters

had they been 0 points...well the X-wing would've eaten a croc of **** without integrated, but hey we'd get barrel-rolls!

nope, it's 2 points, which makes it little to no help to already overpriced ships. **** good on ARCs, Ys and HWKs, though

course it does nothing for Es

Systems Retrofit

E-Wing only

Astromech, -2 points

or

Systems Retrofit

Title, E-Wing only

Your upgrade bar loses the (Astromech) icon.  If you equip a (Systems) upgrade, its squad point cost is reduced by 2 to a minimum of 0.

0 points.

Basicly. With the titles for the Defender, I am very hopeful that what they come up with will change how we view the ship.

I gave my E-Wing to a friend that is just starting his collection.  The E-Wing has so much potential, it's sad it's so overcosted.

I say we turn it into a Defender:

FreiTek Retrofit

Torpedo, E-Wing Only

- 4 points

After executing a 3, 4, or 5 speed maneuver, you may assign 1 evade token to your ship.

Or maybe an Aggressor:

Series IV

Title, E-Wing Only

- 2 points

Your upgrade bar loses the torpedo icon.  Your action bar gains the boost icon.  After you perform a boost or barrel roll action, you may assign a free evade token.

Yes, lets remove the need for corran to take engine upgrade, give him autothrusters to make him harder to kill, AND give him free evade tokens to boot! Oh, and hes cheaper tha. He used to be too.

You'd need a new dial unless it gave you the ability to turn your dialed K-turn into a troll or sloop in either direction

And that'd be sexy but we still need a significant point discount for it to matter

Another thing we could do is make the fix a mod, which means no Eu corran but leaves the astro slot open for FCS + R7 Astro

When you reveal a 3 turn you may perform a red troll, reveal 3 bank perform a red sloop.

R8 Astromech

E-Wing Only

-3 points

When defending against a secondary weapon, you may add an (evade) result to your roll then change one blank result to an (eyeball).

This would be a hard counter to the U-Boats, Dash and annoying to the Bro-Bots and TIE Defender D's, while taking up that astromech slot. It would give the E-Wing a niche role to play, and making them all together more playable. While you would not be stuck with the rebel regen on the E-Wing itself.

The E-Wings, do need a fix, but they are supposed to be somewhere in between an X-Wing and an A-Wing. I don't like the idea of added hull value they are supposed to be a bit squishy.

Edited by Jadotch