Sign in to follow this  
Hijodecain

Please FFG don't make again the same mistake than always with your miniature games

While that is all true, there are still degrees though.

Say that the company decides: "let's make one figure that's massively overpowered and charge $1000 for it".

From one point of view, this is perfect.  Casual players can ignore it, tournament players will all want it to win, the company makes big profits.  Everyone should be happy, right?  And yet, somehow it doesn't end up working out that way.  Players get soured on games that try to push too far, or just don't join in the first place which is even harder to measure.

Realistically, to be a competitive player you need to have a relatively complete collection so that if you come up with a list that you feel is your strongest option, you can field it.  Maybe you've got all the pieces already and maybe not, but you generally won't have to extend very far to get those last few models/cards because you're already most of the way there.

The money saved from being low-tier is mainly that you accept fewer list building options.  I don't have two full units of Fancy Fencers, Crusading Cavaliers, Super Swordsmen, and Brawny Berzerkers.  I've just got maybe one unit apiece of a couple of them, and maybe an extra unit of my favorite, and I make due with that and accept that my list isn't fully maxed out in every situation.  Sometimes I'll get lucky and have the best tool for the job at hand and sometimes I won't.

Signed.

Honestly, I don't think FFG will use their card distribution model from X-Wing in RuneWars for a simple reason: It will reduce interest in the game from tabletop gamers and it doesn't bring the same financial benefit as in X-Wing.

The reason for this is, of course, the secondary market. If person X needs to buy 4 packages of Reanimates in order to get a full unit and those each have a Spearmen upgrade card then even if he also uses Spearmen, he's got three of them to spare. This will be the same with many other units in this game, meaning generally, most players will have a whole lot of spare cards. With all those spare upgrade cards on the market, forcing the playerbase to buy other factions' units to get upgrade cards simply won't work: They'll get their upgrade cards from the secondary market.

It could still work if FFG placed those upgrade cards exclusively on unique units (like characters), but I highly doubt FFG will go down this path. So right now, I don't really worry about it because it just doesn't make too much economical sense for FFG.

Edited by Nalim

The reason for this is, of course, the secondary market.

That doesn't actually change anything.

Let's assume that there will be generic upgrades unique to a given expansion that everyone wants. So you have to buy pack X to get card Y.  Now let's say most people who want pack X anyway, buys 3-4 of it and ends up with 2-3 extra copies of that upgrade.  They'll want at least one, maybe two depending on what the upgrade can be used on.

The fact that they sell and/or trade that card does nothing bad to FFG's bottom line.  They won't sell fewer models than they would if all the upgrades are faction based and there are no truly generic ones worth having.

They'll still have people who want that unit buying it and then selling off the card to people who don't buy for that faction, that's no different than a system in which you only have to buy for your given faction(s) in the first place.

But there will be people who don't want to trade or buy on ebay, and will buy extra models for the sake of the upgrade card.  So FFG ends up selling more models anyway.  

The only reason they won't have generic upgrades that have people buying models they don't want, is because they believe the ill will generated by that system or some other factor will hurt sales over all.  

What if they put cards in "card packs" and the minis, unit reference cards, and the trays in their own boxes?

X-Wing folks have been asking that question for years. FFG's answer basically comes down to, "It's a miniatures game and we're selling miniatures. We're not about to to sell cards by themselves when this is a miniatures game. It's just not in the model."

What if they put cards in "card packs" and the minis, unit reference cards, and the trays in their own boxes?

X-Wing folks have been asking that question for years. FFG's answer basically comes down to, "It's a miniatures game and we're selling miniatures. We're not about to to sell cards by themselves when this is a miniatures game. It's just not in the model."

Which also implies they will not sell a "Codex" style army book with the rules for each faction.  And I am quite happy about that.  It's a terrible way to sell product.

I think FFG can get away with FFG-ing it up with their usual expansion/component release system as long as they have one rule;

- A player can get everything they need for their army without buying anything that can't be used in that army.

If people have to buy a box of use-in-any-army-mercenaries to get the Dirty Fighting card or whatever, there'll be some griping but they'll do it. If they have to buy a box of Orc axethrowers that can't even be used in their skellingtons army to get the Dirty Fighting card though, that's too far. 

I think that we can already see that this unfortunately might be the case.

It looks like the standards and musicians will include upgrade cards that are not faction specific, meaning even if you need to buy multiple spearmen sets you wont receive multiple upgrade cards:

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/7d/ff/7dffc9e7-10ba-491e-bc54-ba0dbbab5808/rwm01_metered-march.png

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/50/5e/505ea67d-df52-4825-b57f-80b7bbf9ae1a/rwm01_terrifying-heraldry.png

The card terrifying heraldry, in particular, looks as though it would come with the undead standard. Whether or not this is the case, we can see that neither of these cards are faction spacific:

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/9b/59/9b59080e-7070-46b3-a871-3248e0a7381e/rwm01_front-line-rune-golem.png

Front Line Rune Golem is a faction specific card, it has a blue splash on the back. It is for the humans. If you look for some card spoilers in this thread:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/227291-rules-cards-from-team-covenant-video/

you can see that there is an example of a revenant unit specific card. you will also see that on the back of cards it shows what upgrades they can get, we know that there are musicians and standards on both sides and there is no indication that these are faction specific buffs.

I think that if you look at all of this evidence, musicians and standard bearers will be the units you'll need to buy to get the cards (and buy multiples of for multiple cards for every unit that takes the upgrade). this also means that if you have a unit who needs a standard bearer, if the standard bearers are unit specific instead of faction specific then you will have to buy two standards to get a non-unit upgrade card, and a unit standard for the model.

I think FFG can get away with FFG-ing it up with their usual expansion/component release system as long as they have one rule;

- A player can get everything they need for their army without buying anything that can't be used in that army.

If people have to buy a box of use-in-any-army-mercenaries to get the Dirty Fighting card or whatever, there'll be some griping but they'll do it. If they have to buy a box of Orc axethrowers that can't even be used in their skellingtons army to get the Dirty Fighting card though, that's too far. 

Sadly I guess FFG is going to be in this way. Probably this will be one of the reasons to quit if this is confirmed on release or next press notes.

Sadly I guess FFG is going to be in this way. Probably this will be one of the reasons to quit if this is confirmed on release or next press notes.

I agree, this will make me give the game a pass.  I'm looking at Advanced Song of Blades and Heroes as a fantasy skirmish game, which has gotten high praise on Dakka and other sites, and Dragon Rampant for rank and file.  I'll still be really interested in RuneWars though if they ultimately don't distribute it like X-Wing.

The difference between those sorts of games and this is whether you want to build your own community.  If you can round up some buddies willing to agree on a game system then you can use whatever you want even if it's a very small niche game.  If you do an FFG game though, then you can expect to have players and events more provided for you which is a big draw.

The difference between those sorts of games and this is whether you want to build your own community.  If you can round up some buddies willing to agree on a game system then you can use whatever you want even if it's a very small niche game.  If you do an FFG game though, then you can expect to have players and events more provided for you which is a big draw.

Building a community is a gigantic, enormous key factor here.  My local area has multiple Armada and X-Wing communities.  I have no doubt that RuneWars will catch on and start taking over table top night at multiple venues.  Building a community yourself is exhausting when all you want to do is play a game.

Not really too tough around here, we have tons of game stores and a large community.  Plus it's easier when it's a system where you can use any miniatures of the same scale.  But yeah, community is a big deal.

Not really too tough around here, we have tons of game stores and a large community.  Plus it's easier when it's a system where you can use any miniatures of the same scale.  But yeah, community is a big deal.

You're one of the lucky ones then.  Atlanta's game community is horrible.  City too big and too fragmented into lots of tiny stores so that no one store really has a big following.  I've tried promoting several new games over the years and it just has never worked well no matter how good the game is.  So, now I've learned my lesson and will only play games where a community already exists.  And right now that's basically Warmachine, 40K, and X-Wing.  Maybe after the new waves Armada will pick up steam but it's not there yet.

note - my definition of a viable game community is when you can show up on the advertised game night and be confident that you will have opponents.  If you have to pre-arrange your own opponents (an unreliable process) or there is a substantial chance you will just be sitting sad and alone all night with nobody to play, then the game does not have a viable community.

You're one of the lucky ones then.  Atlanta's game community is horrible.  City too big and too fragmented into lots of tiny stores so that no one store really has a big following.  I've tried promoting several new games over the years and it just has never worked well no matter how good the game is.  So, now I've learned my lesson and will only play games where a community already exists.  And right now that's basically Warmachine, 40K, and X-Wing.  Maybe after the new waves Armada will pick up steam but it's not there yet.

note - my definition of a viable game community is when you can show up on the advertised game night and be confident that you will have opponents.  If you have to pre-arrange your own opponents (an unreliable process) or there is a substantial chance you will just be sitting sad and alone all night with nobody to play, then the game does not have a viable community.

I take a different perspective.  People frequenting the same joint doesn't mean easy access to a game.  You can remedy being, "sad and alone" by arranging games in advance some of the time.

Doesn't your city have a "Atlanta X-Wing / Armada Players" Facebook group or anything?  I find it hard to fathom it doesn't.  That is how events are structured here, and players arrange an opponent a few days prior and an arrival time.  If someone is not on FB, one of their friends / room mates , etc let's them know. Pretty easy.  And of course everything is announced at the stores and on their websites.

Sure pick-up games can be fun, but with the myriad of complexities include people arriving late, not having a matching point level for quick start, or "that guy" being the only one to play because everyone else dodged the bullet just a few of the problems of this view on community.

Don't short change yourself and the game sustainability until you start doing some leg work ahead of time IMO.  Then more players may be drawn in.

I take a different perspective.  People frequenting the same joint doesn't mean easy access to a game.  You can remedy being, "sad and alone" by arranging games in advance some of the time.

Doesn't your city have a "Atlanta X-Wing / Armada Players" Facebook group or anything?  I find it hard to fathom it doesn't.  That is how events are structured here, and players arrange an opponent a few days prior and an arrival time.  If someone is not on FB, one of their friends / room mates , etc let's them know. Pretty easy.  And of course everything is announced at the stores and on their websites.

Sure pick-up games can be fun, but with the myriad of complexities include people arriving late, not having a matching point level for quick start, or "that guy" being the only one to play because everyone else dodged the bullet just a few of the problems of this view on community.

Don't short change yourself and the game sustainability until you start doing some leg work ahead of time IMO.  Then more players may be drawn in.

That's fine.  Different people have different criteria.  Mine can easily differ from yours.

Yes, we do have both an X-Wing and Armada Facebook group (as well as other games) and you can post there asking if anyone wants to meet up and play.  I've seen people do this.  Sometimes they are successful in finding opponents, and sometimes they are not.

For X-Wing though, you are not reliant on this.  Whether you asked in advance or not (and you can still do this if you want to arrange specific opponents), you know there will be players.  For Armada, you always have to ask as there is never anyone just playing pick-up that I've seen.  But, asking does not guarantee that you will find someone.  It is entirely too common that nobody will write back and the night will pass without a game being played no matter whether you're sitting at the store or at home.

For me, I cannot afford this.  I have a 5 year old son at home and this is my one night that I can get out and have some daddy time to play games.  I do not want to risk missing that.  After a whole week of looking forward to it and reading forums and working on new lists to try out, it would be disappointing not to get to play and then having to wait another week and then flip a coin to see whether I'll have a game or not.

If I was still single, my criteria would be totally different, as I would have the freedom to simply game on a different night or a different store.  I just don't have those options at this point.  Maybe in 2-3 more years I'll be able to teach Isaac to play and I'll be able to get in some games at home and be less reliant on finding opponents at the game store.  I also agree that pickup opponents come in different levels of quality, but the flip side of that is that sometimes you've got to try out new people to find out which ones are good ones.  Fortunately, X-Wing has a very standard point level so that specific concern doesn't really come into play.  I did have a slow start last week though when my opponent didn't have his list built yet but it wasn't too long of a wait and we were able to spend it talking about games so that's not so bad :)

So, i created an account just to reply to this. I'm a fan of star wars, and sci-fi/fantasy. I love the x-wing miniatures, but i am absolutely disgusted by the x-wing commercial model. The sad truth is that even if we complain and even make a change.org petition, they won't change their model. Maybe the hardcore gamers give them more money than filthy casuals. But the model is not exclusive to x-wing or armada. They do this with a lot of other games. Arkham Horror requires one expansion to even have a decent core experience, and so does Eldritch Horror. Netrunner has 'standard' format in the future.

FFG is making board games more MTG-like and more Warhammer-like. Why? Who knows, maybe it keeps them in business. The only thing we can do is complain in the forums and with our wallets. I spent houndreds on x-wing waves 1-4 and can't even make a tier 1-2 x-wing squad without reinvesting at least two houndred dollars. So long ago i decided i won't be buying x-wing again even if i like the game mechanics and the miniatures.

If runewars does not have upgrade cards, or has all required upgrade cards in the core set or an army-set, then i may consider it (malifaux for example sells an army in a box, at $50 you already have a fully functional army with syngergy and also synergetic upgrades included in). If they stick it to x-wing model, they lost a potential customer here.

It is a shame that such good game designs are thrown in the trash courtesy of their distribution model. And to the guy that thinks $250 is spare change, well i would like to be a millionaire, too.

To sum it up: FFG forces their games to behave like magic or warhammer. They have hardcore customers that brings the money. To force people to spend a lot of money, you either make blind boxes (magic), overpriced products (warhammer) or package a ton of useless stuff along with one mandatory good stuff (FFG). They stay in business so maybe this works, but it won't work for me or for many others that have voiced their opinions here and many more that won't ever make a ffg account.

PD: In the event some person at ffg reads this (not the biased fanboy than has tons of money to spend and overlooks the negative points in x-wing distribution model), i wish they just made a good miniatures game that was economically accessible. It is a waste of good game design to throw away in the name of greed. Look at CMON and many other manufacturers that don't force overspending. But even then, i guess it is outside their control to have any say in that. Lost a $200+ customer here and from the looks of it i'm not the only one. Hope the hardcore fanboy makes up for it.

So, i created an account just to reply to this. I'm a fan of star wars, and sci-fi/fantasy. I love the x-wing miniatures, but i am absolutely disgusted by the x-wing commercial model. The sad truth is that even if we complain and even make a change.org petition, they won't change their model. Maybe the hardcore gamers give them more money than filthy casuals. But the model is not exclusive to x-wing or armada. They do this with a lot of other games. Arkham Horror requires one expansion to even have a decent core experience, and so does Eldritch Horror. Netrunner has 'standard' format in the future.

FFG is making board games more MTG-like and more Warhammer-like. Why? Who knows, maybe it keeps them in business. The only thing we can do is complain in the forums and with our wallets. I spent houndreds on x-wing waves 1-4 and can't even make a tier 1-2 x-wing squad without reinvesting at least two houndred dollars. So long ago i decided i won't be buying x-wing again even if i like the game mechanics and the miniatures.

If runewars does not have upgrade cards, or has all required upgrade cards in the core set or an army-set, then i may consider it (malifaux for example sells an army in a box, at $50 you already have a fully functional army with syngergy and also synergetic upgrades included in). If they stick it to x-wing model, they lost a potential customer here.

It is a shame that such good game designs are thrown in the trash courtesy of their distribution model. And to the guy that thinks $250 is spare change, well i would like to be a millionaire, too.

To sum it up: FFG forces their games to behave like magic or warhammer. They have hardcore customers that brings the money. To force people to spend a lot of money, you either make blind boxes (magic), overpriced products (warhammer) or package a ton of useless stuff along with one mandatory good stuff (FFG). They stay in business so maybe this works, but it won't work for me or for many others that have voiced their opinions here and many more that won't ever make a ffg account.

PD: In the event some person at ffg reads this (not the biased fanboy than has tons of money to spend and overlooks the negative points in x-wing distribution model), i wish they just made a good miniatures game that was economically accessible. It is a waste of good game design to throw away in the name of greed. Look at CMON and many other manufacturers that don't force overspending. But even then, i guess it is outside their control to have any say in that. Lost a $200+ customer here and from the looks of it i'm not the only one. Hope the hardcore fanboy makes up for it.

so I'm a hard core minis gamer and have a lot of ffg games, and while I agree that I don't like the xwing distribution model, I think you're being unfair to runewars as a product.  With 48 figures for 100 dollars, that becomes $2/figure with free game.  Sorry but that's a very good deal as far as miniatures are concerned, and I buy a lot of them.

so I'm a hard core minis gamer and have a lot of ffg games, and while I agree that I don't like the xwing distribution model, I think you're being unfair to runewars as a product.  With 48 figures for 100 dollars, that becomes $2/figure with free game.  Sorry but that's a very good deal as far as miniatures are concerned, and I buy a lot of them.

The base game is good, even better than 2 x-wing cores + a couple of expansions. As a game, i like this game design as well as x-wing's. However, the criticism isn't aimed at the core, but at the x-wing commercial model. It looks like Runewars may follow the same pattern, which is what I, as well as others, criticize. If I didn't see potential for this game I wouldn't even be bothering. Value-wise, CMON's kickstarters are impossible to beat, both in miniatures/dollar and replay value.

"It is all about the miniatures". It is a contradiction. It is all about the upgrades. No one buys starviper to play starviper. You buy starviper to get autothrusters. You buy raider to get palpatine. It is the sad truth. To those that say that you can trade or buy singles, that would mean taking advantage of people who don't know the value of their cards, or buying the cards that are actually worth more than the miniatures themselves. They have made it such that "It is all about the upgrades". If i want to play palp aces, and it was all about the miniatures, i would only need 1 lambda and 1 aces or 2 interceptors. But you require investing into miniatures you wont even play to get the cards (cough, epic sized ships, cough, nonfaction ships, cough).

Now, that's it for pointing the negatives. The potential solutions could be as follow:

-Tier 2 premade armies. X-wing's heroes of the resistance is a step in the good direction, as it is basically a squad in a box. Not tier 1 competitive, but at least it is a cheap intro. They come with upgrades that are actually useful to that particular army.

-Either provide neutral cards in all packs, or just provide faction cards. X-wing could solve this by adding previous waves' upgrades in the core set. For example, Core TFA includes wave 1-6 upgrades, Core from episode VIII waves 7-12, etc. I'm not saying x-wing should do it, but take it as an example to implement in runewars. As an example, Malifaux provides a deck of upgrade cards for your faction. Taking x-wing's example, ffg may not make cards for sale without miniatures. But that doesn't mean you should just maximize the player's monetary investment by making them go out of their way to build an army.

Something like this may look good:

- Core set each ~2 years, that includes everything required for a quick skirmish. Include 2 years of previous upgrades bundled.

- Premade armies. Not tier 1, but enough to have 200 points of fun. If each player gets one of these, they can play the game as it was meant to be played.

- No need to buy other factions just for the upgrade cards: Cards are actually cheap to manufacture, so you could include more per pack, say that every upgrade card in wave 1 is included in every wave 1 product. Using x-wing as analogy, you could get palpatine in a decimator, or autothrusters in an interceptor. Business-wise, other competitive games (yugioh) also make cards subsequently EXTREMELY affordable. Cards that go for over $100 then get a cheap $1 reprint after 6 months. It is not mutually exclusive to appeal to the hardcore or the casual. You can appeal to the hardcore tournament scene by making cards rare and then make them very cheap by including all of them in the next core set, after the world tournament.

As others have said, Runewars is not starwars. Theme-wise, if it is too expensive, there are other alternatives. Star wars sells because IP, Runewars doesn't. I see it as another board game, that i am willing to invest ~200 to have enough to play with another friend at 200 pts for the complete experience. If there are premade armies (like most other miniature games out there) I would be willing to buy 1 per faction.

The positives and how to exploit them:

The game design is built upon x-wing's solid system, and I like that there is little to no HP to track. The turn is even more simple than x-wing's, which is good. There is an opportunity to make this somewhat different than x-wing. If I wanted a reskin, I would rather stick to x-wing or imperial assault. To put it in other words, if you make this too x-wing like, both would just cannibalize each other, and we know who would be the winner. It would share the same fate as armada, another wannabee, except with a weaker IP.

TLDR: Appeasing hardcores (possibly the main source of money) does not imply ignoring more casual oriented players. And by casual, I don't mean impaired. I mean only not competing at tournaments, but still want the full experience of playing with powerful armies that are actually fun to play (2 ties vs 1 x-wing is really boring). The current direction (it is likely it will be like x-wing) implies the following: Buy everything even stuff you don't need but that comes bundled with what you need just so that you can actually experience the game as it was meant to be played. I would rather not invest thousands just to play a well designed game, or $100 for an impaired experience. This reminds me of what people complain about in modern video games: The full experience requires a lot of expensive DLC.

Edited by falveryn

No one buys starviper to play starviper. You buy starviper to get autothrusters. You buy raider to get palpatine. 

Both of these are highly subjective statements.  A lot of people have in fact bought the Starviper for the sake of the Starviper, because with the top end pilots it's a decent ship for S&V.  Also a lot of people bought the Raider for the sake of playing Epic games...

Myself I've used the Raider more times then I have Palp.

So while it's true some people have bought both for the sake of the cards, that is not true of everyone despite your blanket statement...

No one buys starviper to play starviper. You buy starviper to get autothrusters. You buy raider to get palpatine. 

Both of these are highly subjective statements.  A lot of people have in fact bought the Starviper for the sake of the Starviper, because with the top end pilots it's a decent ship for S&V.  Also a lot of people bought the Raider for the sake of playing Epic games...

So while it's true some people have bought both for the sake of the cards, that is not true of everyone despite your blanket statement...

Agreed. Casuals will always play with whatever they got, that's part of being a casual.

@falveryn

I get what you're saying dude, it can be frustrating at times when you just want one card from an xwing expansion and are not interested in the ship.  Especially if you want to play competitively! :(

Hopefully they don't follow the same pattern with Runewars and we get a new distribution system like you and I are hoping for! :)

The base game is good, even better than 2 x-wing cores + a couple of expansions. As a game, i like this game design as well as x-wing's. However, the criticism isn't aimed at the core, but at the x-wing commercial model. It looks like Runewars may follow the same pattern, which is what I, as well as others, criticize. 

Frank Brooks told that the  distribution model would be different from X-Wing, and you would be able to collect only one faction and have everything you need.

Here is the link of the interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7PGaa5N_lw, he is talking about that around 22:30.

Edited by Ubul

2x Autothrusters are worth more than the starviper+pilots+other upgrades. 2x adaptability worth more than the rest of the package. Palp, 4xtie/x1 and 4xATC are worth more than the rest of the raider. It is not a subjective statement, prices reflect and support my statement. I can make casual armies with the houndreds i already invested, but they aren't even tier-2, and no strategy really comes into play, thus getting a shafted experience. Also, besides ranting i provided paths i would like the game to go, distribution wise. Though it was a big wall of text, the TLDR sums up my frustration: Full experience (decent squads) require a lot of investment in tournament illegal (epic) and in non-faction ships.

@falveryn

I get what you're saying dude, it can be frustrating at times when you just want one card from an xwing expansion and are not interested in the ship.  Especially if you want to play competitively! :(

Hopefully they don't follow the same pattern with Runewars and we get a new distribution system like you and I are hoping for! :)

Yup, and the NOVA interview linked above gives hope.

The base game is good, even better than 2 x-wing cores + a couple of expansions. As a game, i like this game design as well as x-wing's. However, the criticism isn't aimed at the core, but at the x-wing commercial model. It looks like Runewars may follow the same pattern, which is what I, as well as others, criticize. 

Frank Brooks told that the  distribution model would be different from X-Wing, and you would be able to collect only one faction and have everything you need.

Here is the link of the interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7PGaa5N_lw, he is talking about that around 22:30.

Thanks for the link. They are trying to avoid one of the distribution downfalls, which is very good, however they suggest that keeping one faction up to date will be even more expensive. At the very least it is a more efficient use of funds.

If they still have the focus on emptying wallets, they may make a subpar unit with good upgrades, but lets hope not. Besides that, as a bonus i would like to see premade synergistic armies which, even at 100 points, should be ok. Basically, i'd prefer to have the full experience of playing fun, strategic armies (even at 100pts) without having to fully invest into 2 factions for this to happen.