This cycle doesn't sounds good for me. ....

Hope we will get a blue mages here or. .... I will be disappointed

Harad is in the south. The blue wizards went east.

I was all ready to click 'like' on that post up until that point. Agreed with pretty much everything else.

Is Coney in the Trap a bit disappointing? Altogether, it is a bit worse than Feint, right? Because you can only prevent the enemy from attacking on the round it engages you. I cannot think of any advantages it has over Feint. So, even though it is still nice to have such a card in Lore, I would think with the requirement (and it is not very common to have both a ranger and warrior in a deck -- though not quite rare, either), the card could have cost 0, because I think most of the decks that do have a warrior and ranger might feature Tactics and thus have access to Feint. What do others think?

Keep Watch seems really nice. I always like cards that combo with Beorn. This one seems exceptionally effective with him, although you need first to put it in the victory display.

Is Coney in the Trap a bit disappointing? Altogether, it is a bit worse than Feint, right? Because you can only prevent the enemy from attacking on the round it engages you. I cannot think of any advantages it has over Feint. So, even though it is still nice to have such a card in Lore, I would think with the requirement (and it is not very common to have both a ranger and warrior in a deck -- though not quite rare, either), the card could have cost 0, because I think most of the decks that do have a warrior and ranger might feature Tactics and thus have access to Feint. What do others think?

Feint is too good, so it's good that new cards of the same type are weaker. If I had a deck with qualifying heroes, I think I'd happily play this card. Even if I had 3 x Feint in my deck I would still happily play this card.

Keep Watch seems really nice. I always like cards that combo with Beorn. This one seems exceptionally effective with him, although you need first to put it in the victory display.

For straight Lore you're correct, there's only Glorfindel.  However, both Leadership and Spirit look to have several Unique characters with the Warrior trait, so it could still be useful in dual-sphere decks that don't want to include Tactics.

Harad is west of Mordor, Esgaroth and the Iron Hills. Might as well look for Blue wizards there.

On the map depicting "The west of Middle-Earth at the end of the Third Age", Far Harad does not appear, but the words "Near Harad" are printed *east* of the words "Mordor", "Esgaroth", and "Iron Hills".  The word "Harad" in Near Harad is directly south of the Lake of Rhun.  The Harad road runs well west of the "Near Harad", and I think it's clear that Harad extends all the way to the coast, so parts of Harad must be west of the three places mentioned -- but it's also runs east of Esgaroth, Iron Hills, and probably Mordor.  I think "Harad" may be applied to all land south of Mordor, no matter how far east it goes, and it may go a very long ways east.

However, since our cycle plot has us returning to Gondor, I don't expect our quests to be in the eastern parts of Harad.  I was hoping we'd go East across Harad then north through Rhun (passing to the east of Mordor), but I guess it's not to be.

In his 1958 letter Tolkien has the other two wizards go "south and east", but the later writings only mention the east, and Harad is exclusively associated with "the south" in the lore--and I'm not expecting FFG to challenge the fan's perception of what the blue wizards were and did, though they certainly could be justified by Tolkien's writings.  However, we know from the main text of LOTR that Gandalf spent enough time in the south to acquire the name Incanus, it would be lovely to find something in this cycle that references Gandalf's labor there.

Aragorn went south far enough to apparently reach the southern hemisphere, but I doubt we will.  According to Appendix A, he "went alone far into the East and deep into the South, exploring the hearts of Men, both evil and good, and uncovering the plots and devices of the servants of Sauron."  So good men among the Southrons and Easterlings are textually supported, though I'll admit it would be weird to play a Harad deck, especially outside Harad itself.

Harad is west of Mordor, Esgaroth and the Iron Hills. Might as well look for Blue wizards there.

On the map depicting "The west of Middle-Earth at the end of the Third Age", Far Harad does not appear, but the words "Near Harad" are printed *east* of the words "Mordor", "Esgaroth", and "Iron Hills".  The word "Harad" in Near Harad is directly south of the Lake of Rhun.  The Harad road runs well west of the "Near Harad", and I think it's clear that Harad extends all the way to the coast, so parts of Harad must be west of the three places mentioned -- but it's also runs east of Esgaroth, Iron Hills, and probably Mordor.  I think "Harad" may be applied to all land south of Mordor, no matter how far east it goes, and it may go a very long ways east.

However, since our cycle plot has us returning to Gondor, I don't expect our quests to be in the eastern parts of Harad.  I was hoping we'd go East across Harad then north through Rhun (passing to the east of Mordor), but I guess it's not to be.

In his 1958 letter Tolkien has the other two wizards go "south and east", but the later writings only mention the east, and Harad is exclusively associated with "the south" in the lore--and I'm not expecting FFG to challenge the fan's perception of what the blue wizards were and did, though they certainly could be justified by Tolkien's writings.  However, we know from the main text of LOTR that Gandalf spent enough time in the south to acquire the name Incanus, it would be lovely to find something in this cycle that references Gandalf's labor there.

Aragorn went south far enough to apparently reach the southern hemisphere, but I doubt we will.  According to Appendix A, he "went alone far into the East and deep into the South, exploring the hearts of Men, both evil and good, and uncovering the plots and devices of the servants of Sauron."  So good men among the Southrons and Easterlings are textually supported, though I'll admit it would be weird to play a Harad deck, especially outside Harad itself.

If I recall correctly, "Harad" and "Rhun" don't even refer to names of kingdoms or nations, but simply mean "South" and "East", respectively, in Sindarin.  So in a literal sense, the blue wizards went Rhun (never studied Sindarin, so please forgive me if articles should be used).  Of course, that also brings up the question, East from where?  The Harad regions could be East, specifically, from some locations, but if East is being used as a more general way, Rhun would be a better fit.

Of course, depending on what the wizards actually did, their influence could still have spread Harad...

I for one am intrigued by the sound of this quest. I think it sounds like a lot of fun.

The art on that side quest is beautiful! Can't wait for all of these new side quests to come out.

I also think it's interesting we're getting harad allies... I wonder if this means we could get wose allies in the future! I'm guessing since this cycle ends in Gondor, we may end up going east after this, perhaps even into mordor. That would be fun!

Given the fact that the one Harad ally they've shown us makes other Harad allies cheaper, maybe Harad will give us more expensive, powerful allies that you only include a few of, rather than swarms like Outlands.

I for one am intrigued by the sound of this quest. I think it sounds like a lot of fun.

The art on that side quest is beautiful! Can't wait for all of these new side quests to come out.

I also think it's interesting we're getting harad allies... I wonder if this means we could get wose allies in the future! I'm guessing since this cycle ends in Gondor, we may end up going east after this, perhaps even into mordor. That would be fun!

Agreed...think the quest will be unique and interesting.  I'm alright with a little "fan service" or silliness in the name of a good, fun quest.  While I don't have  the knowledge to argue whether or not the game is faithful to the lore, I'd say it is always respectful.  

It is funny you mention Mordor  for the next cycle...Though I think the game has a bright and long future; I've always kind of secretly thought that they would save Mordor as the setting for the final cycle so it made me involuntarily cringe a bit to read your post about going there in the next cycle!

Well, having played Cross-roads a lot lately, I can now think of a situation where the effect of Coney is advantageous to Feint, but it is a very rare instance in which the enemy attacks after it engages, and then again normally. So, in this particular case, Coney does prevent both attacks. So against those enemies that tend to strike as they engage, this is a good card, but in general, quite inferior to Feint with some requirement.

I do hope the traits (especially Warrior, Ranger, Scout and Noble (or Healer)) get developed a lot more over the next cycle. The previewed attachment could suggest that but it has been a very, very slow process thus far.

Well, having played Cross-roads a lot lately, I can now think of a situation where the effect of Coney is advantageous to Feint, but it is a very rare instance in which the enemy attacks after it engages, and then again normally. So, in this particular case, Coney does prevent both attacks. So against those enemies that tend to strike as they engage, this is a good card, but in general, quite inferior to Feint with some requirement.

I do hope the traits (especially Warrior, Ranger, Scout and Noble (or Healer)) get developed a lot more over the next cycle. The previewed attachment could suggest that but it has been a very, very slow process thus far.

Craftsman...

Agreed...think the quest will be unique and interesting.  I'm alright with a little "fan service" or silliness in the name of a good, fun quest.  While I don't have  the knowledge to argue whether or not the game is faithful to the lore, I'd say it is always respectful.  

It is funny you mention Mordor  for the next cycle...Though I think the game has a bright and long future; I've always kind of secretly thought that they would save Mordor as the setting for the final cycle so it made me involuntarily cringe a bit to read your post about going there in the next cycle!

1) I also think it sounds a fun quest. I don't see anything wrong with having something a bit lighter - there are plenty of serious scenarios out there.

2) I hope they sail into the West for the last quest.

Craftsman...

R.I.P. Craftsmane!

1) I also think it sounds a fun quest. I don't see anything wrong with having something a bit lighter - there are plenty of serious scenarios out there.

By "sail into the West," do you mean "leave Middle Earth"?  Because chronologically, all these quests take place before The Lord of the Rings, so...

chronologically, all these quests take place before The Lord of the Rings, so...

I think you mean during. But, well, we know what you mean and what are semantics between friends?

You are correct.  I should have said, "in the decades in the very beginning of The Lord of the Rings before Frodo actively set out to leave the Shire".

By "sail into the West," do you mean "leave Middle Earth"?  Because chronologically, all these quests take place before The Lord of the Rings, so...

I do mean leave Middle Earth. Any Elvish heroes could leave at any time of course, but I see no reason why all the other heroes couldn't get dispensation as did Gimli, Bilbo, Frodo, Sam etc. I also don't see why they couldn't leave before LoTR; obviously Fellowship Heroes couldn't leave but the FFG created one's could. 

Edited by JonG

Craftsman...

If they begin to develop the Craftsman trait without developing the Artifact trait, I'l personally travel to Minnesotta to burn down FFG's HQ's Sahír style.

I do mean leave Middle Earth. Any Elvish heroes could leave at any time of course, but I see no reason why all the other heroes couldn't get dispensation as did Gimli, Bilbo, Frodo, Sam etc. I also don't see why they couldn't leave before LoTR; obviously Fellowship Heroes couldn't leave but the FFG created one's could. 

Why would they want to? Middle Earth is a cool and good place to live, and all their friends are there.

Well, Bilbo, Frodo, and Sam were allowed that honor due to having been Ringbearers, and Gimli went out of friendship with Legolas.

What have the heroes really done that would justify inclusion on the Elvish ships, or indeed, why would they even have the desire to leave Middle Earth permanently?  If most heroes were elves, I could see this, maybe, but a large percentage of heroes are people who would still have concerns in Middle Earth and be unlikely to want to abandon them.

I suppose the heroes could forgo the Elvish ships and try to find the Straight Road themselves, without the grace of the Valar, but that doesn't seem terribly heroic, and it's unlikely to end well...

Well, Bilbo, Frodo, and Sam were allowed that honor due to having been Ringbearers, and Gimli went out of friendship with Legolas.

What have the heroes really done that would justify inclusion on the Elvish ships, or indeed, why would they even have the desire to leave Middle Earth permanently?  If most heroes were elves, I could see this, maybe, but a large percentage of heroes are people who would still have concerns in Middle Earth and be unlikely to want to abandon them.

I suppose the heroes could forgo the Elvish ships and try to find the Straight Road themselves, without the grace of the Valar, but that doesn't seem terribly heroic, and it's unlikely to end well...

What do you mean "what have they done"? The poor so and so's haven't stopped! They've captured Gollum, passed through Moria, helped save Gondor and Arnor, done some stuff for Saruman (taken for fools on that one, but you can't blame them for that)! And that's before you even look at the single adventures such as saving Osgiliath (again)!

Why would anyone want to go to heaven?

Immortality

Curiosity - one last adventure

Landscape of utter beauty

Easy lifestyle and wonderful weather (it never rains in Valinor you know!)

Elf maidens/hunks feeding you with grapes

All material needs provided for

Knees stop aching

Not to mention all that heroes in Middle Earth have to look forward to is disease, decrepitude, dementia and death. Probably taxes as well!

Edited by JonG