Sign in to follow this  
ViscerothSWG

No Man's Sky

From the Wikipedia

Within 24 hours of the game's official launch, Hello Games reported that more than 10 million distinct species were registered by players, exceeding the estimated 8.7 million species identified to date on Earth.

Wow. If only us nerds could harness our collective powers for good.

We already have we've solved several genetics projects that have stumped science for years.

http://www.nbcnews.com/science/science-news/gamers-solve-molecular-puzzle-baffled-scientists-f6c10402813

Also alot of us donate run time for science.

Just because you don't work for good doesn't mean the rest of us don't. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm aware of the plenty of good things us nerds have achieved. Mapping the starry skies, decoding countless pages of text, unravelling nerves, solving crimes, etc.

But in only 24 hours!?

Can you imagine what would be achieved if every single one of those players dedicated that time in a 24 hour window to collaboratively achieving a single goal. Mind boggling.

It's a nice thought. Back when Pokemon first came over I was quite obsessed. My Dad used to say that if I put a tenth of the effort into my schoolwork that I did Pokemon then I'd have straight A's. Schoolwork isn't fun though while Pokemon is lots of fun. Real world problem solving doesn't have the instant gratification that games do so even if you could disguise stuff as a game you'd still see a ton of drop off once people had to wait for something to happen.

That's pretty much it.

If I put the effort and time i've put into 40K, X-wing, my videogaming addiction, campaign making, world making etc into something more directly real world. i am sure it'd be spectacular.

I would also be in prison as I would have had an ADD induced nervous breakdown and stabbed someone to death.

Hey, so this might be a stupid question, but we've been an X-Box family for so long I don't even know how PC games work, anymore.

If I buy a copy of the game (on Steam, or whatever) can my son and I both install it on two separate computers and play it at the same time?

I seem to be seeing things that indicate I would have to buy it twice for us to both install it and play it, but that doesn't seem right...

You would need two separate purchases.  Steam allows you to install the same game on multiple computers, but only one computer can be playing the game tied to a specific account at a time (if I open up a game on my laptop, it kicks me off the game on my desktop).  You would need to purchase the game on two separate accounts to be able to both play it at the same time.

Totally makes sense, thanks.

Now if only I hadn't gotten the 11 year-old so excited about it... lol.

I will say, probably the best thing about Steam are the Steam sales.  For a brand new game, you probably won't be seeing one for a while, but eventually you'll see it on sale for one weekend only at 75% off, or something ridiculous like that. 

Hey, so this might be a stupid question, but we've been an X-Box family for so long I don't even know how PC games work, anymore.

If I buy a copy of the game (on Steam, or whatever) can my son and I both install it on two separate computers and play it at the same time?

I seem to be seeing things that indicate I would have to buy it twice for us to both install it and play it, but that doesn't seem right...

You would need two separate purchases.  Steam allows you to install the same game on multiple computers, but only one computer can be playing the game tied to a specific account at a time (if I open up a game on my laptop, it kicks me off the game on my desktop).  You would need to purchase the game on two separate accounts to be able to both play it at the same time.

Totally makes sense, thanks.

Now if only I hadn't gotten the 11 year-old so excited about it... lol.

I will say, probably the best thing about Steam are the Steam sales.  For a brand new game, you probably won't be seeing one for a while, but eventually you'll see it on sale for one weekend only at 75% off, or something ridiculous like that. 

It's to the point that I actually look up when a sale is coming and save up for a couple months ahead of time...

L2 was held down for 5 seconds over 10 million unique times. Followed by holding square for 2 seconds, or triangle for 2 seconds followed by a naming prompt.

Nothing is so easy in the real world.

I just wish PS4 would let me upload screenshots to an image gallery like imgur or instagram. I don't want them on FB, and twitter doesn't make sense. I can pull them off with a usb drive, but I'm too lazy right now.

Found some ships that looked very star warsy.

I have a backlog of a dozen systems to upload for credit and credits.

...yeah I broke down and started playing it... and can't stop.

I hate that the game can't be downloaded until 1pm EST.  Stupid west coast companies.  I wish they could let you pre-download it at least a day ahead of time.  We are going out of town tomorrow and it means he won't get much time to actually play the game before we go out of town.  

Does anyone know if the PS4 version of the game is going to co-exist with the PC version of the game?

That's pretty much it.

If I put the effort and time i've put into 40K, X-wing, my videogaming addiction, campaign making, world making etc into something more directly real world. i am sure it'd be spectacular.

I would also be in prison as I would have had an ADD induced nervous breakdown and stabbed someone to death.

These days you just get 100 hours community service.

I wouldn't mate. look at the steam reviews. take a breath and wait.

finding time to install and finding time to play are wildly different things in my house hold ;)

my father in law gets here from Waco tomorrow.  Won't have much time for anything, except fighting institutionalized racism and backwoods thinking :o

From what I've read on reddit, graphic drivers are the issue for a lot of people. Amd put out an update today to make it compatible. Open gl 4.5 is required to play the game. Run in borderless window for best fps currently. And something about don't alt-tab or it'll crash for some or all people.

I'm leveling up extreme survival overnight... anomaly has been following me through like 15 systems unable to progress because I don't have enough of that achievement. Took me that long to find another extreme planet. You get credit even in buildings. (Was running around learning languages and popping shield plates but it's bedtime and I found a structure. Don't judge me lol. 15 systems, about 30 planets. I've earned it.

Let's see, I've gotten lost in a cave system but, fortunately, I have the mining grenade attachment on my Multi-Tool and just blasted my way to my ship. I'm also in good standing with the Gek....and this is just on my starting planet. I've got 3 other planets in the starting system and I haven't even though of leaving the first planet yet. Just so much to see there.

Tip on ship upgrades:

Every crashed ship has +/-1 of your current ship. You can find multiple crashed ships on a planet using bypass chips to locate transmission towers...

I bought a couple for a lot of money after farming Emeril and gold before learning it. And went up 10 slots by doing it. Just keep going to crashed ships, dismantling the broken components for resources, and if they're a slot bigger, repair just the thruster and plasma jet and then search for more crashes.

I got attached to a dbz looking 38 slot ship right now but I know eventually I'll start ship hunting again until I'm max slots.

You'll find more ships. If you're on a planet with a lot of bases, there are probably dozens of crashed starships on it. Find the singal scanners, and using a bypass chip select Transmission. You want transmission towers, not observatories or beacons. The towers lead you to crashed ships when you answer correctly. That'll eventually get you to 48 slot ships

For extra slots in your suit, the easiest thing to do is visit new space stations, after you have the Atlas pass v1. In the space stations, the main door leads to the sales terminal and usually a npc to talk to. If from the hanger you go the other way there's a locked door that the v1 pass unlocks. In that room in every station is a backpack upgrade, and sometimes some other stuff on the walls.

To get the V1 pass, either choose the Atlas path and you'll see your first space anomaly pretty quickly and receive it, or if you're free mode-ing it, you'll still see the anomaly eventually. v2 and v3 passes are extremely rare drops from command centers (you can search for outposts from the signal scanners on worlds).

Option B for suits: The signal scanner again. Select shelter and then aim for drop pods. Every drop pod is another upgrade.

For the suits, you'll need $$$. The last slots were upwards of 300k each. Increases 10k every slot.

So you'll need to make some cash.

The most obvious way, and what I did: spend hours mining emeril and gold to sell for mad cash.

The less obvious but available to everyone way: First up the bypass chip. They sell way above their cheap cost to make. You can have a couple resource stacks and stand at the terminal selling every time you fill your bags. This is a slow but steady approach.

The seemingly better way that I saw a german video about and will try tonight:

Basically, you frantically run around a space station and buy all the dynamic resonators you can hold at standard price, then you resell to someone buying them for double the price.

Things that are buying/selling for double price have a big gold star next to them.

He claims 8million an hour. Best part is you can stop any time, and just need to find that last double price buyer to finish your session. You need some starting capital to fill your first inventory. Or start with however many you can buy. After your first sale you can buy roughly twice as many.

Best way to scan the fast birds is unfortunately to kill them first.. if you lose track when they fall to the ground, a sentinel usually hovers over it checking it out.

Get transmission towers can be used multiple times in a row.. but after 4+ crashed ships on the map it can start to glutch. I do 3 at a time on those. My ship is now 43 slots. Getting closer to max.

The grenade intensity upgrades are awesome. I can now open most if not all reinforced doors in 1 shot.