Sign in to follow this  
PhantomFO

Shadow Caster builds?

Out of everything in wave 10, this is probably the one I'm most curious to try out. I love the idea behind the mobile arc. How have people been using it, and what builds have you tried? Are you doing the Scum standard of two named ships, or using it as the leader in 3+ ship list?

PTL (rotate mobile arc is on the action bar) EU and full mods (k4/dengar) is probably the easiest build to start with using, obviously, the EPT pilots.

you won't win dice trades with other 50ish point ships (re aggressors) so prepare to outfly your opponent. You gotta think Scum and play dirty, using stuff like blocks and a combination of both pilot abilities to influence the game state to your advantage.

for example, don't dice trade with aggressors and expect to win. Instead, use a bid to get Ventress to block one of the bastards and use her stress to utterly remove their ability to return fire the following turn while you get to trolololo around with your mobile arc

http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Scum%20and%20Villainy&d=v4!s!219:18,122,192,192:-1:3:;218:18,122,192,192:-1:3:&sn=GARBAGE%20DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

don't have four shadowcaster expansions?

then you are lame

(use one Rigged Cargo Hold and one Black Market Slicer Tools each)

edit: forgot to make one of the K4s into Dengar. Give Dengar to Ketsu specifically, because her ability demands more out of her mobile arc so you want as much freedom of movement as possible

Edited by ficklegreendice

Yeah, I don't think they thought this through all the way or this is the way the pendulum swings because of the whining with the jumpmaster, but 50pts for a big flying target doesn't make a whole lot of  sense competetively .  7/3 doesn't seem like a good spread either.  I worry about the fact that your dial makes you want to fly allover the place, but you're still going to want to be close to your opponent to get a 4dice attack to do damage.  Those seem like contradictory points.

There's no real support-like ability so whether you run them 2 biggies or 1 and some aces or 1 and a z-swarm is the same as any other scum big ship.

Ketsu and Ventress are the two noteworthy pilots, but they get expensive in a hurry.

I'd second what fickle said and put dengar on ketsu with the title and gyroscopic target and Rigged cargo chute and black slicers tools @51pts

Ventress is going to benefit from the stress more, I'd almost load her up with experimental interface just to see if you need the EU and maybe you could drop the PtL for something else.  I feel like the Engine upgrade may be mitigated by doing a lot of 3 hard turns (circles and circles) combined with the aux arc.  You'd have to play with it to see.  If you could get free TL then you could drop your mine, slice and dice or turtle with focus and evade and try to stay alive longer than the other guy. 

Running 2 of these side by side seems like a sure way to die.  I think you'll need a torpedo boat with tractor beam ketsu to do some damage and maybe another small ship like N-dru or tlt ywing/hwk to get some damage through.

Edited by buckero0

"Dual Casting"

Ketsu Onto

VI (PS 9 means best chance at tagging enemy with mobile arc reposition)

Dengar (Because we may not be taking many other dice mod actions)

Feedback Array

Shadow Caster (Title)

Gyroscopic Targeting (To help move around the arc with less action dependency)

Asajj Ventress

PTL

Tactician (now both arcs have stress mechanics!)

Feedback Array (this is double up in case you need to crush an Ace like Soontir but don't trust your shot to do it)
Glitterstim (For when you used PTL to adjust position too much/are in a lot of arcs)

EU

99pts.

A lot of options to assign tractor beam tokens and stress tokens.

it'll be high skill-cap for sure (or bring the tiniest **** rocks imaginable)

but that's kinda the "theme" of wave 9 after Wave 8's more...lets say easily appreciable "Better-than-everyone-else" Inquisitor and torpedo scout

the ships are solidly offensive but either

1. only decently defensive (caster two agility + focus + evade)
  2. not very defensive (jouster stats with 6 health 2 agility or 9 health 1 agility)
  3. literally helps your opponent kill them (Quickdraw rage baffle; though the double tap damage output is totally worth it)

if you want to fly the cool wave 9 stuff, you'll have to up your game so to speak

the Shadowcaster embodies this most of all because, like I said, it can't dice trade with similarly costed ships. What it CAN do, is have a mobile arc, some shenanigans (double illicits, pilot abilities that work even without having to attack, compare to IG-88b or kath for example). Winning or losing depends entirely on you, the player, making those work

and honestly, I think anyone who enjoyed the Lancer enough to dedicate themselves to it could do well competitively. You're more than fast enough to hunt down and murder manaroo in Dengaroo (Don't joust dengar, for the love of the force) and both pilot abilities AND the illicits the ship comes with make small base aces hate life

really, the only **** awful match-up is torpscouts

but Torpscouts being a bad-match is the secondary theme of wave 9 :P

Ventress + tactician + title 

Plunk + Title + probably the action to give tractor beam

Ion warthog

and another Quad jumper if it can fit points wise 

Potentially 2+ free tractorbeams a round ventress can double stress emp and warthog can ion. Throwing around ideas of 4-lom or yv-666 with tactician gunner and bossk. 

I think you're going to find that they're best run a bit leaner than most want to initially build.  You don't want them to be the primary target, so you want there to be a significantly larger threat on the field - and that's hard to do if you're pouring points into them.

I think you're going to find that they're best run a bit leaner than most want to initially build.  You don't want them to be the primary target, so you want there to be a significantly larger threat on the field - and that's hard to do if you're pouring points into them.

eh...

problem with building lean is that you're not making them any more efficient. The shadowcaster, at the absolute most basic level, is a firespray.

(the distinction between them and the spray, apart from upgrade slot differences and mobile v aux arc, is that scum Kath/Boba have abilities that improve their raw dice output while Ventress/Ketsu only indirectly improve their dice but greatly influence how your opponents fly)

the named pilots cost the exact same as the named sprays and, worse, the PS 2 costs the same as the empire's PS 3

firesprays aren't known for being efficient; neither will the caster

and honestly, in terms of what FFG was going for in the preview article (ie selling the mobile arc as a more complex but FAR cheaper PWT), I think they did it right. 50 points is elite spray/aggressor level, which is pretty nicely below what your typical fat ass PWT goes for, which is around the 58-62 point range

but it's going to come around to roughly half your list. It can't really do enough otherwise

you can try to shave points by forgoing Engines in favor of Expert Handling, but I don't think these guys will last very long without repositioning

really, the only pilot you can try to make efficient is Sabine because of her ability

swx56-sabine-wren.png

for two turns of glorious glorious glitterstim, you can give swarms the middle finger

and then you'll drop like a rock, but hopefully your squad will have accomplished something in those two turns

there are other ways to build around her ability, but glitterstim (while temporary) gives you full mods, baby. Slap on Dengar/k4 (42 total) and you get full mods with your action completely free to rotate your arc or, more irritatingly, evade (guaranteed 2 damage canceled with her ability, not counting the focus you roll on green dice)

maybe she can be a semi-effective brick to chuck at your opponent while someone else (Rau?) goes around actually killing them

Edited by ficklegreendice

Honestly, I'm only seeing Ventress sticking to tables in the mid-long run, as sort of a stressbot. Even then, it might evolve into just a as-efficient-and-lean-as-possible disabler. Perhaps the generic can see play if, for some unknown reason, FFG has decided on a 32-pt cost as an illicit mule.

I'll probably be trying this on launch:

Asajj Ventress (36):

• Push The Limit (3)
  • Tactician (2)
  • Glitterstim (2)
  • BMST (1)
  • Gyroscopic Targeting (2)

Total: 46 pts

And that setup doesn't truly please me, tbh. I wish there was a way to make it leaner without losing effectiveness.