Sign in to follow this  
Darth Poopdeck

Is Fantasy Flight RPG Creating Cannon?

The books go through the LucasFilm Story Group for changes and approval.  That doesn't mean they are canon but that they are consistent with canon.

Though, this might be one interesting case:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/227145-tfa-beginner-game-just-arrived/

The approved maps clearly indicate that Starkiller base in The Force Awakens was built out of the planet Ilum and so the Jedi's primary source of gaining kyber crystals (and testing younglings for their worthiness) has been destroyed.

Keep in mind that with groups as large as Disney, the plotting-out ("mapping out" more appropriate in this case?) of content creation happens at a corporate level, and decisions are disseminated to subsidiaries who work within these brackets. The Ilum reveal may have been a part of a larger plan that FFG content creators had access to. Just because we're seeing it confirmed first in the RPG doesn't mean it isn't "approved".

Keep in mind that with groups as large as Disney, the plotting-out ("mapping out" more appropriate in this case?) of content creation happens at a corporate level, and decisions are disseminated to subsidiaries who work within these brackets. The Ilum reveal may have been a part of a larger plan that FFG content creators had access to. Just because we're seeing it confirmed first in the RPG doesn't mean it isn't "approved".

Or possibly first in Empire Magazine : http://newmediarockstars.com/2015/11/star-wars-maps-starkiller-base-ilum-theory/(from the other thread)

The books go through the LucasFilm Story Group for changes and approval.  That doesn't mean they are canon but that they are consistent with canon.

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/227145-tfa-beginner-game-just-arrived/

The approved maps clearly indicate that Starkiller base in The Force Awakens was built out of the planet Ilum and so the Jedi's primary source of gaining kyber crystals (and testing younglings for their worthiness) has been destroyed.

That's exactly why I posted this. To remove Ilum from the map, and just so happen to have it's replacement be StarKiller Base is a big thing, something that would point to people above Fantasy Flight wanted. I mean, why would Fantasy Flight want to do that? It must be that they were directed to do that.

I sure hope so! Commercially-available large-caliber artillery sounds like a great fit for the new Soldier book.  :D

I was waiting for someone to correct that. I can edit my post, but I'm not sure how to edit the Title of that post.

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if the Disney approach was similar to the early Lucasfilm approach of using WEG material as basis for official canon.

But my personal theory on the whole canon debate is that the term "Canon" is far too author-centric. I think it's more of a give-and-take between what they put out there for public consumption and what the story group can assume most of fans to know (from whatever source they have put out, including clarifications.) Man that sentence ran long. I mean the whole "author-centric vs. reader-centric" shebang. The story group has to assume you won't have perfect knowledge, and the question if something is canon is less of an issue if nobody talks about it.

I sure hope so! Commercially-available large-caliber artillery sounds like a great fit for the new Soldier book.  :D

Do we get any ninja out of the deal?

tumblr_inline_nn9xqfQ7t71s6a8kw_500.gif

Nuclear-Man-gif.gif

Ninja-gif.gif

Ninja-3-gif.gif

(The joke explained for the Youngin's: The Cannon Film Group was the distributors of the finest schlock in the eighties, giving the world a flick that combined Flashdance, The Exorcist and a Ninja movie. Here, just watch this trailer)

That's exactly why I posted this. To remove Ilum from the map, and just so happen to have it's replacement be StarKiller Base is a big thing, something that would point to people above Fantasy Flight wanted. I mean, why would Fantasy Flight want to do that? It must be that they were directed to do that.

I think - don't know - but think that this map change was not first revealed by the FFG RPG but in official maps released around the time of The Force Awakens being released.  I recall this being discussed on the Order 66 podcast, I think by guest Chris West (a renowned map maker for rpgs) who noticed the Ilum and Starkiller base map thing.  And this was well before the Force Awakens Beginner Box being released.

I think this "reveal" is something that would never make it into the movies because it requires too much exposition (and probably only the Imperials or perhaps Luke would know the information anyway) but is some background information from the movie that would filter down to official maps and setting books.

I haven't read the Force Awakens novelization so maybe it's mentioned there?  (I didn't read the novelization but I did read articles highlighting the new information it added and I don't think the Ilum thing was in there).

Looking around the internet tubes it looks like the TFA novelization says that Starkiller base was built into a planet - and when the planet was remade it was also renamed.  I didn't see anything indicating what it was previously named.

I don't think it classifies as "canon" in the Otaku way that people typically refer to "canon," that being everything here is going to be incorporated into all future stories never to conflict in any way with anything else considered "canon." Its always important to remember that Lucasfilm canon seems to deal more with the general continuity of the characters and stories in their flagship lines, and not about if you need a 15mm or 20mm  hydrospanner to replace an alluvial damper in a YT-1300.

More likely much of the RPG materials is going to be canon in much the same way that a lot of early WEG materials seem to still be canon. Namely that, because of a lack of story impacting or affecting the events in the films, all that old WEG stuff is still usable in roughly the exact form it was originally presented should Lucasfilm decide to do so. The existence/nonexistance of an L-2387 deep space recovery vessel isn't going to change anything or cause issue with any plots, plans, or existing main character stories. So it's safe to assume that the thing is canon-esque enough for casual conversation, and there should be no surprise when in "Shipbreakers: A Star Wars Story" We see one cruising around.

That said, Starkiller=Illum is a rather interesting artifact, and it does make you wonder, as that's a little oddly specific for the usual "not canon till someone needs something" you see with the RPG line....

Another thing is that Starkiller Base was a mobile planet. Not in the sense that all planets are mobile (rotating and orbiting) but apparently it can be piloted in the way that the Death Star was. Never mind the fact that this would destroy all life on the surface at a minimum. I'll handwave the violation of physics like I will the way it sucks up stars somehow.

But according to Wookieepedia it can move around, so maybe being near Ilum is a coincidence. Since it could theoretically be anywhere they move it to.

The whole "mobile planet" thing is so stupid though that I'm in favor of dismissing that nonsense.

Another thing is that Starkiller Base was a mobile planet. Not in the sense that all planets are mobile (rotating and orbiting) but apparently it can be piloted in the way that the Death Star was. Never mind the fact that this would destroy all life on the surface at a minimum. I'll handwave the violation of physics like I will the way it sucks up stars somehow.

But according to Wookieepedia it can move around, so maybe being near Ilum is a coincidence. Since it could theoretically be anywhere they move it to.

The whole "mobile planet" thing is so stupid though that I'm in favor of dismissing that nonsense.

I think you overestimate how quickly the atmosphere's temperature would dissipate into space. They could comfortably swing into another system's goldilocks zone and experience a cold night at most.

Edit: There are so many problems with Starkiller Base (like the fact that they somehow observe its effects from Takodana,) but this was not one of them.

Edited by GranSolo

Nope. The map coordinates for Starkiller Base are its origin point coordinates, which line up perfectly with Ilum. So, while it can move to other systems, the origin point of the planet is the same as Ilum's location. Thus, it's obviously intended to be Ilum transformed.  

Nope. The map coordinates for Starkiller Base are its origin point coordinates, which line up perfectly with Ilum. So, while it can move to other systems, the origin point of the planet is the same as Ilum's location. Thus, it's obviously intended to be Ilum transformed.

I'm convinced that it's Ilum. I was playing devil's advocate but that reinforces the idea.

Just because Starkiller Base was near Ilum doesn't mean it is Ilum.  Could it be?  Heck yeah!  Could it not be?  Heck yeah!

Then why remove Ilum from the map? 

I have a ton of galaxy maps without Ilum on them.  Just because they didn't draw it doesn't mean it's not there.  

I'm convinced that it's Ilum. I was playing devil's advocate but that reinforces the idea.

There is also the possibility that more than one planet exists in the same star system. Ilum could have been another planet in the same system as the world that would become Starkiller.

Mind you after the Starkiller at the sun, without the gravity to keep the planets in orbit, Illum is just as screwed if it had been terraformed into a planet buster.

Maybe. But a "dead Ilum" -- floating in space sans sun -- might still be a source of crystals that could be explored. Albeit much more dangerously than before.

This brings up an interesting point. Without a sun, any planet in that system just carries on along its trajectory. I'm not sure how feasible it is to hyperjump to systems without a sun - could be much more difficult and dangerous. Not to mention that anybody trying to find the rogue planet - and land on it - has to do so in complete darkness.