Jump to content
Jegergryte

Enhance - the force leaping madness

Recommended Posts

 

 

1.

Can a player using the Force Leap Action from the Enhance Force Power use it to Engage or Disengage as part of the leap?

If yes, then does that also allow them to engage or disengage when leaping to, or from, Medium Range (and as a Manoeuvre with the appropriate upgrades)?

2.

How many Force Leaps with the Range Upgrade are required to reach Extreme Range for an unengaged Force User?

 

  • Is it 3, Start-Medium-Long-Extreme (counting leaps as equal to 2 move maneuvers, or twice the distance)
  • Or is it 5, Start-Medium-Medium2-Long-Long2-Extreme (counting leaps as normal distance)

 

If there is nothing else to add to this then ill submit it and hope for a reply. 

Edited by Richardbuxton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I re-submitted today to the EotE product support. I'll probably continue that every month until I get a response.

I could of course email Sam Stewart directly, but I'm stubbornly refusing to do that since I know just how bad it would be if everyone did that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Richardbuxton said:

I re-submitted today to the EotE product support. I'll probably continue that every month until I get a response.

I could of course email Sam Stewart directly, but I'm stubbornly refusing to do that since I know just how bad it would be if everyone did that.

I'd say give it some more time.  I've had to wait a couple of months before getting replies, so could be that they're particularly busy at the moment.

To be honest, I'd prefer that Sam and company spend their time working and developing more awesome supplements for this game than having to wade through numerous requests of the same question being asked over and over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sam replied, but only answered one question, I have asked for clarification on the second question and will provide it when it's available.

Enhance:

1a.
Can a player using the Force Leap Action from the Enhance Force Power use it to Engage or Disengage as part of the leap?
1b.
If yes, then does that also allow them to engage or disengage when leaping to, or from, Medium Range (and as a Manoeuvre with the appropriate upgrades)?

2.
How many Force Leaps with the Range Upgrade are required to reach Extreme Range for an unengaged Force User?
* Is it 3, Start-Medium-Long-Extreme (counting leaps as equal to 2 move maneuvers, or twice the distance*)
* Or is it 5, Start-Medium-Medium2-Long-Long2-Extreme (counting leaps as normal distance)

 

Quote

Rules as written, engaging or disengaging from someone is a special maneuver you must perform to engage or disengage from someone, so technically, Force leap doesn’t let you do that. However, your GM can allow it if it makes sense in the scene. However, your GM can also require you to perform the disengage maneuver, then once you’ve broken contact, use Force leap to move further away. 

 

Edited by Richardbuxton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personal thought, as a general rule of thumb I will probably allow the engage/disengage if the Force user isn't using the power to avoid difficult/impassable terrain.

Of course, since you'd need to invest a fair bit of XP to be able to do a Force leap as a maneuver, allowing the engage/disengage when you're Force leaping as your action doesn't strike me as being all that problematic.

Besides, if I get a player that seriously tries to abuse this, it's a simple matter for me to come up with a dark side Force user with the full Force Leap chain, as good/better Force Rating, and is a melee monster wielding a vibro-ax backed by ranks Feral Strength and Lethal Blows.

Or an Inquisitor with the Draw Closer talent and enough Force dice to ensure that the PC get's yoinked from medium range right back to engaged :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Richardbuxton said:

Yep, with you there Dono. I think leaping from Engaged is very cinematic, especially since you can't actually get that far doing it. In my games it will be allowed, if anyone ever gets the power that is!

In my FaD campaign (just went on hiatus after wrapping up a streamlined Beyond the Rim), I've only got one PC that's bought the Force Leap upgrades, and he's the party sniper (Seeker/Hunter/Hermit) so he generally uses it to get to great sniping points long before any of the bad guys get a chance to engage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rules as written though it does not allow you to disengage /engage. The GM caveat is included in just about every reply. Which is of course applicable for everything as that is rule 1 (or is it rule 0, I get those 2 mixed up). The same thing came up on the question I asked on Precision Strikes second effect applying to ranged attacks, that RAW and RAI that its second weapon effect did work with ranged combat however they also said that a GM could rule certain weapons like grenades as being too indiscriminate to work with it (even though its description is quite clear that even if the situation was impossible that stopping a rival or minion was non lethally done).

It was the RAW answer I would be interested in here as a GM can implement however they like with or without the permission of FFG, and rule 0 (or 1) ensures that they have that permission anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, syrath said:

Rules as written though it does not allow you to disengage /engage. The GM caveat is included in just about every reply. Which is of course applicable for everything as that is rule 1 (or is it rule 0, I get those 2 mixed up). The same thing came up on the question I asked on Precision Strikes second effect applying to ranged attacks, that RAW and RAI that its second weapon effect did work with ranged combat however they also said that a GM could rule certain weapons like grenades as being too indiscriminate to work with it (even though its description is quite clear that even if the situation was impossible that stopping a rival or minion was non lethally done).

It was the RAW answer I would be interested in here as a GM can implement however they like with or without the permission of FFG, and rule 0 (or 1) ensures that they have that permission anyway.

Sometimes they respond with definitive "yes" or "no" on things, they don't always give the answer of it being reasonable for GMs to allow it if they so choose, so it's actually pretty good to have that response come from them that it's open to GM interpretation.

5 minutes ago, Richardbuxton said:

Definitely. RAW is that you absolutely must Disengage/Engage separately and I'm glad that argument doesn't need to happen again!

Yes, now we know the RAW which I will most definitely be house-ruling for a more cinematic approach.

 

Speaking of a house-rule on the matter of leaping into engaged range, would anyone view it reasonable here to allow for some sort of attack of opportunity, such as we see with Obi-Wan vs Anakin in RotS? Like, if you Leap into engaged range of a target, they get a free attack? It would have a potential downside while still allowing something as cool as an engaged range leap.

Edited by GroggyGolem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, GroggyGolem said:

Speaking of a house-rule on the matter of leaping into engaged range, would anyone view it reasonable here to allow for some sort of attack of opportunity, such as we see with Obi-Wan vs Anakin in RotS? Like, if you Leap into engaged range of a target, they get a free attack? It would have a potential downside while still allowing something as cool as an engaged range leap.

I would call that Improved Parry. Perhaps leaping into combat adds a Setback to your attack or boost to your opponent, whichever happens first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...