Sign in to follow this  
FrogTrigger

How popular will Rune Wars be?

I am curious why FFG has not come up with a Star Wars skirmish miniatures war game.  10-15 figures plucked from Sith, Jedi, lightsabers, blasters, large swinging logs, etc.

They have already made Imperial Assault skirmish mode. They are not going to make another one.

There is some KoW played here, but I don't know that much about it.  I only started going to this store again recently (after a few years away) so it's hard to judge how many people might be interested in RuneWars.  Just going to have to wait and see I guess.

There is some KoW played here, but I don't know that much about it.  I only started going to this store again recently (after a few years away) so it's hard to judge how many people might be interested in RuneWars.  Just going to have to wait and see I guess.

Just to provide some additional insight: In Germany, there is a quite well-known portal tabletopturniere.de which is widely used to organize tabletop tournaments. I just looked at it recently and there are:

• close to zero upcoming WHFB 8th tournaments
  • a little bit more, but still very few upcoming AOS tournaments
  • a few more Kings of War tournaments
  • a whole lot of 9th Age tournaments

So I guess here in Germany most of the WHFB flock turned to 9th Age, which is a good thing for Rune Wars: While 9th Age may be an excellent system, its' mainly a fan effort to keep an abandoned system alive. While senior players might be happy with it, thanks to zero marketing it will most likely fail to attract too much new players. My guess is it will slowly die like BattleTech did in the years after FASA's demise. Since most 9th Age players are tabletop veterans, I think they know this from industry experience. That's quite a good market situation for RuneWars to release.

Right now, RuneWars' biggest probem might be the brexit and its effect on USD/GBP exchange rates. Outside from the US, the UK might be the most vibrant and important tabletop market and depending on how exchange rates develop in the next few months, RuneWars' price tag may be way less attractive in the UK than in other countries.

Edited by Nalim

See, I had no idea before all of this that WHFB had died or that Age of Sigmar (which I only recently heard of) was in trouble.  So good timing on FFG's part, even if it was just luck :)

AoS is doing ok, better than WHf at it's end and it is still new, we just got rules for games with points so we will see if it lives or not and i see some 40K players who would never play WHF playing it.

I've been seeing more and more AoS being played locally, and the General's Handbook seems to have fixed a lot of what people were complaining about. It had a bumpy start for sure but it seems to be building a community and coming around, I'd say RuneWars will have strong competition out of it by then as AoS releases more of the Start Collecting boxes and expands out the existing factions.

Just to provide some additional insight: In Germany, there is a quite well-known portal tabletopturniere.de which is widely used to organize tabletop tournaments. I just looked at it recently and there are:

So I guess here in Germany most of the WHFB flock turned to 9th Age, which is a good thing for Rune Wars: While 9th Age may be an excellent system, its' mainly a fan effort to keep an abandoned system alive. While senior players might be happy with it, thanks to zero marketing it will most likely fail to attract too much new players. My guess is it will slowly die like BattleTech did in the years after FASA's demise. Since most 9th Age players are tabletop veterans, I think they know this from industry experience. That's quite a good market situation for RuneWars to release.

Right now, RuneWars' biggest probem might be the brexit and its effect on USD/GBP exchange rates. Outside from the US, the UK might be the most vibrant and important tabletop market and depending on how exchange rates develop in the next few months, RuneWars' price tag may be way less attractive in the UK than in other countries.

Very good points above, about 9th Age not drawing in much of a new fan base.

The comparisons of AoS regarding competition with Rune Wars is not highly relevant; AoS is not a rank and file game. It is a squad-based skirmish with the option of scaling up to very large battles.  It is indeed another game in general to flood the market with options, but it will not appeal to rank and file gamers.

The crunch is going to come down to Rune Wars vs. Kings of War, as they share the most similarity.  KoW appears to be at first glance of RW a vastly simpler system.  It's never been a better time to be a gamer regarding choices, but it is getting increasingly difficult maintaining a scene with everyone jumping ship for other systems every few months.

(I hear you Dr. Cheesesteak here -- and by the way this is your buddy from Fresno typing!)

I'm personally excited.  I've never played any of the Rune/Terrinoth games.  Now I want to buy a few others lol (am a big board game fan.  It's blasphemous I have not played Descent, I know...)

You're in good company. I haven't played Descent either. But I did get sucked into Rune Age and Runewars. Thankfully for my wallet, I was able to resist the urge to buy Descent ... phew! ... oh, but then I bought Imperial Assault anyway.  :wacko:

Yeah, I'm considering Descent and BattleLore as my first purchases.  BattleLore seems interesting - pvp wargame in a box w/ more units to add.  And Descent, I'd probably get the co-op expansions for me and a couple buds to play (one usually prefers co-op).  

The ones you mention I'd be down to get too, down the line, if I end up loving the universe so much.  For now, they'll wait, given that it takes a lot for me to commit to buying heavy or long, time-consuming games!

Edited by Dr. Cheesesteak

Well I highly suggest Rune Age as a quick game in the Terrinoth realm. I think it's about $50 for the core and expansion together. Plus, you'll get two fully cooperative scenarios. As I understand it, Descent's co-op app is very limited in scenarios.

Well I highly suggest Rune Age as a quick game in the Terrinoth realm. I think it's about $50 for the core and expansion together. Plus, you'll get two fully cooperative scenarios. As I understand it, Descent's co-op app is very limited in scenarios.

Yeah, you know that's my mistake, thanks for making me realize lol.  I was thinking Runebound instead of Rune Age.  Further evidence I need to get into the world ASAP so I can better distinguish between the names lol.  But yes, actually Rune Age was one I was highly considering as well, though I'm sure I'd be providing decks for anyone I play with.  Not sure it has much of a player base around here, though I'll definitely ask around.  

Yeah, you know that's my mistake, thanks for making me realize lol.  I was thinking Runebound instead of Rune Age.  Further evidence I need to get into the world ASAP so I can better distinguish between the names lol.  But yes, actually Rune Age was one I was highly considering as well, though I'm sure I'd be providing decks for anyone I play with.  Not sure it has much of a player base around here, though I'll definitely ask around.

It's a deck building game. No need to provide decks really as its all in the box. You build rest as you play and changes depending on the scenario you play.

Yeah, I'm considering Descent and BattleLore as my first purchases.  BattleLore seems interesting - pvp wargame in a box w/ more units to add.  And Descent, I'd probably get the co-op expansions for me and a couple buds to play (one usually prefers co-op).  

The ones you mention I'd be down to get too, down the line, if I end up loving the universe so much.  For now, they'll wait, given that it takes a lot for me to commit to buying heavy or long, time-consuming games!

Well, I seriously doubt the Runewars 4X game is much longer for this world, so I'd try to get it while you still easily can at MSRP or below ASAP. (Speaking of which, did its expansion ever get a reprint? <_<)

I love Descent 2E and Rune Age to pieces and wholeheartedly recommend them to basically everyone who's willing to play any other physical game than the decades-old mainstream classics. :wub:

I am one of those people who postponed getting BattleLore 2E until it would get a fourth faction, although I do enjoy its video game adaptation. And I ain't interested in Runebound 3E enough to buy it solely due it lacking player interaction. :(

And the RuneWars miniatures game I'm obviously looking forward to in anticipation. :D

Edited by twincast

I love BattleLore Second Edition; I hate the app. They made a change to the archers that makes them destroy the Uthuk armies. It's unplayable for me now. Okay, that's a bit overdramatic, but I'd rather play the board game against myself than play the app these days.

Edited by Budgernaut

I think FFG has been trying to find a model that allows them to break into this space for awhile.

I think back to Mutant Chronicles, which there game was actually pretty good. I think of Dust Warfare. I think of even Warhammer Disk Wars.

The Terrinoth setting gives them IP they control. Gives them creative license that they control. They are clearly using ideas and game concepts from other games they control and they have refined there supported play/tournament play events.

The Descent/Runebound world is a good fantasy setting. The games they have published in that world are good. Many of us long term gamers have played one of them here or there or maybe even love them.

This time the setting and scale might be right for FFG to have some success.

For the most part, I am a "retired" mini game player and collector, but I have become a FFG fanboy of sorts. There is no doubt that this game has me curious and hopeful. As the rules come out, there is a pretty good chance I will be playing this game for awhile if they are solid. From the demos I have seen so far, they seem good. Just hoping to see if movement is a little more flexible than presented in the limited demos we have seen so far.

I think the Terrinoth  setting is the best we could wish for!

Why? because this allows FFG for a long term commitment for this game, they will not have to retire it due to expired licenses. If they wanted a short term success, they would have used one of their many licenses.

I think we should read this choice, as a very serious signal that they want to commit to this system long term.

I haven't played the boardgame, what's the change?

Here is a list I complied of all the changes: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1391739/app-vs-board-game-list-differences/page/1 You'll have to scroll down a bit to see the full list.

In BattleLore 2E, ranged attacks have a 1/6 chance of dealing damage while melee attacks have 2/6 chance to deal damage. This is made even by the fact that melee attacks can potentially be countered, while ranged attacks (when not adjacent) cannot. 

So the Yeoman Archer ability, Double Shot, is that if you don't move, you get to make two attacks. Since there are no defense dice, that's basically 4 dice on one target, if you choose. (It could also be 2 dice each on 2 different targets.) That's already a pretty strong ability, but the app went and changed it by giving the Yeoman archers a 33% chance to hit when using their Double Shot ability. That means they attack as strong as melee, but don't have the downside of getting countered. Also, melee units that are reduced to one standing figure have their chance to hit reduced from 33% down to 16%. If you reduce a Yeoman Archer unit down to 1 figure, it still gets its 33% chance to hit when using Double Shot.

Another significant difference is that the "decks" of cards are different in the two games. In the boardgame, you have a 20 card deck of lore cards that you can spend lore on to activate. One of these is Enchanted Arrows, which lets an archer unit attack any unit on the board at any distance, regardless of blocking terrain. Since there are only 10 lore powers in the app, the chance of finding that card is quite high. Furthermore, that card combos very well with one of the command Darken the Skies (lets you order 3 archer units and they get to make an additional attack). In the app, you can use this card once per game and you begin the game with it available to you, so you can trigger it whenever you're ready. In the board game, you have to hope to draw Darken the Skies from the command deck.

All of the above means that, in a death match, you can just sit back with Yeoman Archers and force the enemy to come to you. Then you wait until you have Enchanted Arrows and then you use Darken the Skies to shoot 9 attacks in one turn. We played an online BattleLore: Command tournament last year and found that combo to be nigh unbeatable. It soured my enjoyment of the game.

Edited by Budgernaut

In the short to medium term Brexit and the cheap pound will benefit GW. After Article 50 is invoked they will likely be in trouble, simply because exporting goods will become far more complicated. Losing access to certain territories altogether is also possible which will weaken GWs pseudo-monopoly even faster than is happening at present. In the UK the loss of luxury spending will hit the hobby in general, as will the brain drain of disposable income having 20-40 year olds leaving the country. However UK gamers will have far less clout in terms of importing other games, so GW will certainly keep trucking along over here at least.

For the next year or so, yeah, this possibly isn't the best time to try and bring out a competing miniatures war game. But on the flipside, if Runewars has a solid ruleset, decent release schedule, competitive pricing and tournament support enough to build even a small user base in that time, it will be in a great position to become a major title in the hobby once Brexit really kicks in.

In the short to medium term Brexit and the cheap pound will benefit GW. After Article 50 is invoked they will likely be in trouble, simply because exporting goods will become far more complicated. Losing access to certain territories altogether is also possible which will weaken GWs pseudo-monopoly even faster than is happening at present. In the UK the loss of luxury spending will hit the hobby in general, as will the brain drain of disposable income having 20-40 year olds leaving the country. However UK gamers will have far less clout in terms of importing other games, so GW will certainly keep trucking along over here at least.

For the next year or so, yeah, this possibly isn't the best time to try and bring out a competing miniatures war game. But on the flipside, if Runewars has a solid ruleset, decent release schedule, competitive pricing and tournament support enough to build even a small user base in that time, it will be in a great position to become a major title in the hobby once Brexit really kicks in.

Which is a rather gloomy view of brexit.

Out of the EU the UK could get a free trade agreement with the US, a situation that would benefit both GW and FFG. Currency rates could return to normal if the UK retains a strong economy after the uncertainty has passed.

It's too early to know what the impact will be, we'll just hag to wait an see.

Which is a rather gloomy view of brexit.

Out of the EU the UK could get a free trade agreement with the US, a situation that would benefit both GW and FFG. Currency rates could return to normal if the UK retains a strong economy after the uncertainty has passed.

It's too early to know what the impact will be, we'll just hag to wait an see.

The closest thing to a free trade agreement with the US will almost certainly be TTPA (which is Bad in itself, but that's another topic), and even if we are allowed to 'piggyback' onto that with the EU we'll have no clout at all in the terms of the arrangement. If you are holding out hope for a series of magical international trade agreements that don't do long-term damage to the UK to suddenly appear, it might be good to adjust your expectations. 

I do really hope to be wrong about this but pretending like Brexit hasn't dragged us into extremely dangerous waters is naive.

Original question "How popular will Rune Wars be" , I'm going to bite :P  much more popular than Age of Sigmar!

While I have never been a 40K or Warhammer mini game guy, you can't swing a cat without running into those players. Many of my gaming buddies have long terms relations with those systems.

While Age of Sigmar made the competitive tournament list dudes freak out, there are a good percentage of guys out there who like the system, the models and everything else about it and are playing it.

Rune Wars the mini game would be lucky to have just that latter part of a following after its release. Its gonna be awhile, even if the game is good (hoping it is) before then.