Sign in to follow this  
Supertoe

Who the heck is Sabine?

She's one of the female leads of Star Wars Rebels. She's an Imperial Cadet from Mandalore turned Bounty Hunter turned Rebel Explosives expert and graffiti artist.

At the moment, Rebels is pushing out the most new Space-focused content, and thus she's showing up everywhere.

It took till the fifth post to get an answer. Thanks! Isn't rebels that disney show? FFG has sunk that low?

Wow that's.

That's not the worst way to inquire about something new.

She's one of the female leads of Star Wars Rebels. She's an Imperial Cadet from Mandalore turned Bounty Hunter turned Rebel Explosives expert and graffiti artist.

At the moment, Rebels is pushing out the most new Space-focused content, and thus she's showing up everywhere.

It took till the fifth post to get an answer. Thanks! Isn't rebels that disney show? FFG has sunk that low?

Yes its the disney show. Its a canon source for ffg to get ships from, and its actually a horrible show for 8yo kids, but the last 2 episodes were good.

Fixed.

Why TIE FIghter for the Rebels? What about the B-wing prototype? :( I WANT MY 16 point ORANGE B-WING FFG!  :P

P.S. She's the blue haired one firing the superlaser.

Good lord. I wasn't far wrong when I said Rebels is like really bad fanfiction. That's absolutely terrible.

pfff, that is a light cruiser, about corvette size. In ROTJ  a wing of 12 B-Wings killed nearly as many ISD-2s with their firepower. That is a hell of a lot more firepower than what this composite beam laser has. THat type of laser was even used a side-weapon in laatis during the clone wars. So the big gun is nothing new and apparently not even powerful enough as it got replaced by even more powerful weapon systems afterwards. I mean sure, with Kyber-Crystals that design would have been valid … but the rebellion had no access to those. :D

LAATi-MachinesOfWar.jpg

Ka-pew Ka-pew Ka-pew!

PaTow PaTow!

Sorry, couldn't help myself. Those were the noises I used when flying my SW ships around back in the day. That is, when I got tired of the whining 'laser' battery powered noise that came with the toys.

I still make those noises when blasting TIEs into smitherines and throwing my red dice.  :D

Rebels is significantly better than TFA, so

Worst post in the thread. Including all the ones from the OP
He's probably right though, at least as far as characters go. IMO obviously.

The villains (Kallus, Vader and now Thrawn, even the Inquisitors) are miles better than Supreme Leader Snoke and Kylo 'Temper Tantrum' Ren.

Even the Ghost crew is somewhat deeper, more human and less Mary Sue than Rey and Finn.

I will never understand these Mary Sue comments. Only her piloting ability is not explained in the movie but if you read the new EU you will know that she repaired an old flight simulator and learned how to fly with that.

She makes a living by scavaging, taking apart and repairing tech. So she is a mechanic.

Her weapon of choise is a close quaters melee weapon. Thats why she can handle a lightsaber.

And last she appears to be highly force sensitive even though she does not know it. She learns about that when Kylo tries to probe her mind.

So she is a pilot that benefits from being force sensitive. Just like Anakin and Luke.

She is trained with melee weapons and get a buff because she is force sensitive.

She is a mechanic because thats how she earns her living.

She is pretty much Anakin 3.0 with Luke being Anakin 2.0

I will never understand these Mary Sue comments.

She is literally the definition of Mary Sue: the character is not challenged by anything. That would be why people keep mentioning it.

From a literary perspective, she is an astoundingly bad character.

Yes, but... whose story is The Force Awakens?

It's not really Rey's; it's just setting up her character for a later story.

It's definitely not Han's or Poe's or Kylo's.

The main character is Finn. It's Finn who overcomes his obstacles, grows as a character, and becomes a hero during the course of the story.

Saying "Rey's a Mary Sue" both misses the point of a Mary Sue (and I was there in usenet when the term was first used!) and the story of TFA. It's like calling Ben Kenobi a Mary Sue: does he fail at anything in A New Hope? Is there any explanation of how Ben can do all these fantastic things? Even when he dies, he still wins.

But he isn't the main character, and it's not his character arc we're concerned with.

Now the NEXT movie is hers, and we've seen groundwork for her vulnerabilities and what she'll need to overcome: needing to belong to a family. I'm willing to bet good money that part of the conflict will be the appeal of the Knights of Ren GIVING her that family, with Luke acting distant enough (thanks to his own mistakes and baggage involving family) that it will drive her away from the light side and to the dark side... at least temporarily.

But why the hell am I bothering to explain this? You decided not to like The Force Awakens before you bought the ticket, and latched onto any possible, slim reason that would justify that dislike.

Actually it is a very solid show with good characters that it 100 times better then anything out of the prequels

When will we get a Kingdom Hearts TIE fighter crossover ?

As soon as Disney officially reveals Ezra to be none other than Prince Ali Ababwa aka Aladdin in 'A whole new world' with 'a new fantastic point of view'.... lol

gummi ships confirmed for wave 11

Gummi_Ship_KHII.png

Rebels inhabits a strange place of interest and loathing for me.

One the one hand you have this:

tumblr_inline_o67ct2fH9m1u7y4h9_500.jpg

(like; that was a good scene)

and on the other, you have this:

tumblr_o4kv81gToz1uxb6ajo1_500.gif

(LOATHE!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

(And dammit, I like the idea of Imperial Inquisitors! Don't make me hate them!)

Edited by Deathseed

The villains (Kallus, Vader and now Thrawn, even the Inquisitors) are miles better than Supreme Leader Snoke and Kylo 'Temper Tantrum' Ren.

Even the Ghost crew is somewhat deeper, more human and less Mary Sue than Rey and Finn.

I will never understand these Mary Sue comments. Only her piloting ability is not explained in the movie but if you read the new EU you will know that she repaired an old flight simulator and learned how to fly with that.

She makes a living by scavaging, taking apart and repairing tech. So she is a mechanic.

Her weapon of choise is a close quaters melee weapon. Thats why she can handle a lightsaber.

And last she appears to be highly force sensitive even though she does not know it. She learns about that when Kylo tries to probe her mind.

So she is a pilot that benefits from being force sensitive. Just like Anakin and Luke.

She is trained with melee weapons and get a buff because she is force sensitive.

So she, without any kind of formal training or actual flight experience manages to outfly trained (and actually experienced) pilots in modern fighters by using a several decades old transport just because she spent time in a simulator.

Then, due to  being accustomed to a metal (?) staff (whose center of mass is probably close to the middle of the weapon) she manages to best Kylo Ren in a fight using a lightsaber (who, due to having a weightless blade most likely handles very differently than her staff).

Totally not Mary Sue at all.

I will never understand these Mary Sue comments.

She is literally the definition of Mary Sue: the character is not challenged by anything. That would be why people keep mentioning it.

From a literary perspective, she is an astoundingly bad character.

Yes, but... whose story is The Force Awakens?

It's not really Rey's; it's just setting up her character for a later story.

It's definitely not Han's or Poe's or Kylo's.

The main character is Finn. It's Finn who overcomes his obstacles, grows as a character, and becomes a hero during the course of the story.

Saying "Rey's a Mary Sue" both misses the point of a Mary Sue (and I was there in usenet when the term was first used!) and the story of TFA. It's like calling Ben Kenobi a Mary Sue: does he fail at anything in A New Hope? Is there any explanation of how Ben can do all these fantastic things? Even when he dies, he still wins.

But he isn't the main character, and it's not his character arc we're concerned with.

Now the NEXT movie is hers, and we've seen groundwork for her vulnerabilities and what she'll need to overcome: needing to belong to a family. I'm willing to bet good money that part of the conflict will be the appeal of the Knights of Ren GIVING her that family, with Luke acting distant enough (thanks to his own mistakes and baggage involving family) that it will drive her away from the light side and to the dark side... at least temporarily.

But why the hell am I bothering to explain this? You decided not to like The Force Awakens before you bought the ticket, and latched onto any possible, slim reason that would justify that dislike.

You sir, you win everything, ever.

I really don't get why people hate on that scene. Ben has a Bowcaster bolt through the guts for goodness sake. Everyone else hit by that thing over the course of all the movies goes down like a ton of bricks, yet Ben solidly beats Finn then fights Rey, an instinctive force user like Ben's grandfather (who was able to instinctively channel the force well enough to pilot a pod racer, something no human before him had been able to do). The fact that Ben could stand, let alone fight, is testament to just how strong in the force he really is but if you think that wouldn't slow him down massively you're just not being fair.

I really don't get why people hate on that scene. Ben has a Bowcaster bolt through the guts for goodness sake. Everyone else hit by that thing over the course of all the movies goes down like a ton of bricks, yet Ben solidly beats Finn then fights Rey, an instinctive force user like Ben's grandfather (who was able to instinctively channel the force well enough to pilot a pod racer, something no human before him had been able to do). The fact that Ben could stand, let alone fight, is testament to just how strong in the force he really is but if you think that wouldn't slow him down massively you're just not being fair.

Because they hated it before even seeing the movie, and need to continue hating it so as not to shatter their porcelain worldview. It's something they can latch onto (like Rey's Mary Sue-ness or "how does the big beam travel interstellar distances") so they do so.

It's the reverse of what happened after The Phantom Menace - the fans wanted, needed it to be a great movie to justify their attention and their fandom and their emotional investments and the days spent waiting in line to see it. It took a while for the reality to sink in that it was ****, and ever since then the grognard Star Wars fans have distrusted anything and everything new.

This is a core truth of humanity: We do not want to be wrong. Many of us would rather be dead than proven wrong to our faces. We will lie to ourselves to avoid confronting when we're wrong, and the longer we internalize those lies - warping our vision with untruth - the harder it is to see reality. The Jesuit's saying, "Give me the child and I shall show you the man," is only an expansion of this.

The blind, unthinking hates that you see so often in the world - racism, misogyny, religion - all spring from this root truth: We'd rather be dead than proven wrong, because that would be humiliating.

And don't forget the WE. I've done it. You do it, though I don't know when. The guy's we're complaining about are doing it. Everyone does it, but the only ones you can stop doing it is yourself.

I liked The Force Awakens. It felt like Star Wars should. Was it everything I wanted? Naw. Was it the story I would have written? Naw. But they did a good job telling another variant on the Hero's journey, while reinforcing the cycle of it by bringing in the past Heroes, and foreshadowing the next Hero's struggle. There were no actual plotholes, even if some of them had 'blink and you'll miss them' explanations.

Edited by iamfanboy

It's the reverse of what happened after The Phantom Menace - the fans wanted, needed it to be a great movie to justify their attention and their fandom and their emotional investments and the days spent waiting in line to see it. It took a while for the reality to sink in that it was ****, and ever since then the grognard Star Wars fans have distrusted anything and everything new.

I liked The Force Awakens. It felt like Star Wars should. Was it everything I wanted? Naw. Was it the story I would have written? Naw. But they did a good job telling another variant on the Hero's journey, while reinforcing the cycle of it by bringing in the past Heroes, and foreshadowing the next Hero's struggle. There were no actual plotholes, even if some of them had 'blink and you'll miss them' explanations.

You do realize the first paragraph kind of undermines the second right?

People also wanted Force Awakens to be great. The movie is still IMO too new for the wave of enthusiasm to have really worn off and for the majority to judge it objectively.

So she, without any kind of formal training or actual flight experience manages to outfly trained (and actually experienced) pilots in modern fighters by using a several decades old transport just because she spent time in a simulator.

Then, due to  being accustomed to a metal (?) staff (whose center of mass is probably close to the middle of the weapon) she manages to best Kylo Ren in a fight using a lightsaber (who, due to having a weightless blade most likely handles very differently than her staff).

She "outflew" trained pilots by flying through a wrecked star destroyer shed spent extensive time crawling through so she knew the layout better than they do. And one still followed her through. They survived and escaped because finn shot down the ties, not because of her flying (other than lining up the last shot perhaps). And compare her to the other movies. Luke destroys the death star and is one of the few pilots to survive the battle his first time setting foot in an xwing. Anakin was the only himan able to podrace when he was only 9 years old. Then he managed to fly a starfighter and destroy the droid control ship.

Its already been pointed out that kylo was injured during the fight. Go get ahot in the gut and see how well you fight afterwards. Rey was still losing anyway until she tapped into the force (and her anger from the looks of it)

You do realize the first paragraph kind of undermines the second right?

People also wanted Force Awakens to be great. The movie is still IMO too new for the wave of enthusiasm to have really worn off and for the majority to judge it objectively.

So the part where I said, "It's the reverse effect" was just kind of glossed over, huh?

There's a large number of Star Wars fans to whom everything newer than, say, 1997 is not going to be good, will never BE good. Part of that, I think, is the reaction to Phantom Menace - they wanted it to be good, convinced themselves it was good, and then realized just how bad it was, internalizing, "Because it's new, it's awful... so everything new will be awful."

Doing a quick google search about "The Force Awakens bad" with a range of before the movie actually showed to its announcement reveals an unfortunate number of articles talking about how it's going to be awful before they've even seen it. JJ Abrams is an awful director, dumb lightsaber thingies, dragging old cast members 'out of the grave in a desperate attempt to bring old fans to the new movie'... and those same people say the exact same thing after they've seen the movie, with the added delight of calling Rey a Mary Sue, Kylo whiny, etcetera.

They chose their prejudices beforehand and were not disappointed, because they'd already decided to BE disappointed.

There are also those who have built Star Wars up in their own minds to this truly titanic, amazing receptacle of all their love and admiration and faith, and ANYTHING new will disappoint them. The original movies, if they were shown tomorrow for the first time instead of almost forty years ago, would disappoint them. NOTHING could match what they have made Star Wars to themselves, so why bother trying to please them?

Instead, JJ Abrams made an adventure movie where the hero is an ex-stormtrooper trying to escape and eventually stop a group of neo-Imperials with the help of a Force-sensitive scavenger, a droid, and Han Solo. The similarities are chosen as carefully as the differences, to reinforce the idea of the Hero's Journey as a cycle; a story never truly ends, but new heroes move in to replace the old.

Also, better writing. "We'll use the Force!" "That's now how the Force works!" versus... "How wude!"

Thanks! Isn't rebels that disney show? FFG has sunk that low?

If by "That Disney show" you mean the best new Star Wars content in more than 20 years, then yes, it is.

You do understand that FFG has been pulling from the show for, like, 3 waves now, right?

Bold claim, considering that 'The Clone Wars' is to 'Rebels' what the original trilogy is to the prequels.   :P

Counterpoint: Rebels has yet to air a single episode focused on Jar Jar, let alone a 3-episode arc.

Rebels as yet to take a terrible prequel character and make it awesome. TCWs gave Jar Jar binks entertaining scenes and made him awesome. Unlike Movie jar jar, which fails in so many ways that it becomes even hard to grasp that he could be a fun character. 

Actually it is a very solid show with good characters that it 100 times better then anything out of the prequels

I can disprove this in 2 minutes or less :P

She "outflew" trained pilots by flying through a wrecked star destroyer shed spent extensive time crawling through so she knew the layout better than they do. And one still followed her through. They survived and escaped because finn shot down the ties, not because of her flying (other than lining up the last shot perhaps). And compare her to the other movies. Luke destroys the death star and is one of the few pilots to survive the battle his first time setting foot in an xwing. Anakin was the only himan able to podrace when he was only 9 years old. Then he managed to fly a starfighter and destroy the droid control ship.

Its already been pointed out that kylo was injured during the fight. Go get ahot in the gut and see how well you fight afterwards. Rey was still losing anyway until she tapped into the force (and her anger from the looks of it)

And Kylo did not want to kill her, same "playing" with her like Vader did with Luke in ESB. He still wants her to join the dark side. Dead she cannot do this.

Then Rey actually also runs away and does not want to have to do anything with the force and Luke's saber.

Sabine is more of a Mary Sue, at least in 1st season of Rebels. She can do everything, she is never hit by any stormtrooper. But that's a kids show, so some cheese unfortunately is there.

Why TIE FIghter for the Rebels? What about the B-wing prototype? :( I WANT MY 16 point Prototype B6 FFG!  (aka the Orange B-wing with the suprelaser) :P

P.S. She's the blue haired one firing the superlaser composite beam weapon.

To be honest, I'd be fine with the Prototype coming out laser and all: if it is appropriately costed point-wise. Say 33 points for the base fighter, with laser as a costly one-shot ten-die addon weapon: overkill for fighters, good for use in Epic.

From a lore perspective, they probably did away with the superlaser B-wings for the same reason they cut down on TIE-Defender production: cost. That single prototype is years worth of work and probably many thousands of credits more than a viable production model, all for a close-range bomber with no hyperdrive. 

It worked once, with the element of surprise and an ace crew; in the long run and with regular rebel mooks, it would just be too costly a target to deploy on a regular basis. TIE swarms would eat it before it could close the distance.

Edited by OneKelvin