Sign in to follow this  
zeromage

Characters we haven't seen yet

There was a thread on this a while ago https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/182931-unique-characters-left-to-see

Since some of it is out of date now, I guess the current list from that post is

Bergil
Tom Bombadil*
Goldberry*
Iorlas
Targon
Rosie Cotton
Leaflock
Hirgon
Thranduil
Thorin III Stonehelm
The Blue Wizards (less likely)
Duinhir
Derufin
Duilin
Dervorin
Hamfast Gamgee
Húrin the Tall
Meneldor

There are a host of other minor Shire Hobbits not on this list; off the top of my head, Hob Hayward, Mrs Cotton, Farmer Cotton, Young Tom, Mrs Maggot, Otho, Lobelia, Lotho, Nibs, Jolly, Proudfoot, Rory Brandybuck, Old Noakes, Sandyman, Ted Sandyman, Daddy Twofoot.

From the Appendix there is Dis. Gilraen seems unlikely.

From the song at the end of the Battle of Pelennor Fields I also note Horn, Fastred, Herefara, Herubrand, Harding. I guess all Rohan. There is also Widfara who has one line in The Ride of the Rohirrim.

From Bree there are Nob, Bob, Harry, Mr Mugwort.

In Gondor I can only think of the Herb Master from the houses of healing. I have always been puzzled why the Warden of the houses of healing is not unique as well.

Can't think of any more, annoyingly I can't seem to find a page that lists all the characters mentioned in the books without also including the wider mythology.

-snip-

You missed the thinking fox that noticed the hobbits while they were heading to Buckland.  Thematically, he could fit right in with the last Saga expansion if it includes the Scouring of the Shire...

Characters from The Hobbit who haven't made an appearance yet:

Carc the Raven

Roäc, son of Carc

Thráin II

The Thrush

Galion (of Thranduil's elves)

The Lord of the Eagles

Edited by Kjeld

-snip-

You missed the thinking fox that noticed the hobbits while they were heading to Buckland.  Thematically, he could fit right in with the last Saga expansion if it includes the Scouring of the Shire...

Hahaha! There should have been a Treachery "Something Mighty *****" in the first Black Riders quest.

Edit: Haha, it seems my quotation got censored!

Edited by NathanH

Eru Iluvatar

He never exhausts, is treated as having whatever printed keyword or resource icon you want, and has a value of "infinity" for every stat--including, unfortunately, starting threat.

That would be god awful.... that game whilst an amazing game completely butchers the lore and creates its own version of Middle Earth. This game sticks to the lore and is as canon as possible and instead tries to fill in the gaps and explore the unexplored parts of Middle Earth. Don't get me wrong I absolutely LOVE Shadow of Mordor but it would make no sense for content from that Game to appear in this one. If we ever got a Talion or Tauriel card for real I would straight up quit the game and never look back. As much as many different types of people play this game I think that the majority are massive Tolkien fans that love the game because of how true it stays to the source material. If that were to change I think many people would both be very dissapointed and lose much of the interest they have in this game. 

I wouldn't mind seeing some Shadow of Mordor content being added somehow since much of the material used is speculative and not canon anyway.

Speculative and owned by a different company.

Yes, but they can easily use certain ideas seen in SoM involving characters, like Celebrimbor and The Black Hand for instance, without breaching rights agreements.

If there's any game this game should take inspiration from, it's Middle Earth CCG.

Yes, but they can easily use certain ideas seen in SoM involving characters, like Celebrimbor and The Black Hand for instance, without breaching rights agreements.

Celebrimbor is dead in the timeline of the novels. His spirit it at the Halls of Mandos. Him coming back as a wraith (or helping Sauron forge the One Ring, for that matter) goes directly against Tolkien's writings.

Edited by Gizlivadi

If there's any game this game should take inspiration from, it's Middle Earth CCG.

Celebrimbor is dead in the timeline of the novels. His spirit it at the Halls of Mandos. Him coming back as a wraith (or helping Sauron forge the One Ring, for that matter) goes directly against Tolkien's writings.

I'm familiar with the lore. My statement on speculation is directed at the LCG, not the video game. The LCG plays with ideas not mentioned directly by Tolkien even more than SoM (save perhaps Celebrimbor). For instance, while mentioned in various texts by Tolkien, the lands of the south are no where near expanded to the extent that this LCG will be. It's filling an entire cycle of cards with, while fun, very speculative and conceptual ideas. I'm not saying put the wraith of the Silver-hand in the game but materials such as the Outcasts of Udûn or the like wouldn't hurt the lore anymore than some stuff I've seen. Edited by power500500

I'm familiar with the lore. My statement on speculation is directed at the LCG, not the video game. The LCG plays with ideas not mentioned directly by Tolkien even more than SoM (save perhaps Celebrimbor). For instance, while mentioned in various texts by Tolkien, the lands of the east are no where near expanded to the extent that this LCG will be. It's filling an entire cycle of cards with, while fun, very speculative and conceptual ideas. I'm not saying put the wraith of the Silver-hand in the game but materials such as the Outcasts of Udûn or the like wouldn't hurt the lore anymore than some stuff I've seen.

I don't believe there's a cycle about lands in the east yet is there?

Sorry about the random quotes, no clue how this stuff works

Edited by beregrew

I'm familiar with the lore. My statement on speculation is directed at the LCG, not the video game. The LCG plays with ideas not mentioned directly by Tolkien even more than SoM (save perhaps Celebrimbor). For instance, while mentioned in various texts by Tolkien, the lands of the east are no where near expanded to the extent that this LCG will be. It's filling an entire cycle of cards with, while fun, very speculative and conceptual ideas. I'm not saying put the wraith of the Silver-hand in the game but materials such as the Outcasts of Udûn or the like wouldn't hurt the lore anymore than some stuff I've seen.

Sorry, meant South

Sorry, meant South

Ah okay, was thinking there was a cycle that i didn't know about for a moment:P

-snip-

You joke, but I've just read MERPs The Shire module and they turned the Fox into a minor Maia character!

I'm familiar with the lore. My statement on speculation is directed at the LCG, not the video game. The LCG plays with ideas not mentioned directly by Tolkien even more than SoM (save perhaps Celebrimbor). For instance, while mentioned in various texts by Tolkien, the lands of the south are no where near expanded to the extent that this LCG will be. It's filling an entire cycle of cards with, while fun, very speculative and conceptual ideas. I'm not saying put the wraith of the Silver-hand in the game but materials such as the Outcasts of Udûn or the like wouldn't hurt the lore anymore than some stuff I've seen.

Yeah fair enough. One of the things that I thought was best about Shadow of Mordor was the way they handled the area around the Sea of Nurn. It actually directly explained how Sauron's armies are fed and housed which was fairly interesting. If this game (LCG) were to do something somewhat similar with that part of Mordor (more green and lush than originally thought, source of food and slaves for the armies of Mordor, actually fairly populated by Men albeit either Slaves or Black Numenorians) I definitely wouldn't be upset. It makes sense for Sauron to have a portion of Mordor actually usable for food and whatnot and we have very little concrete info about that part of Mordor. 

I do have to say that I strongly disagree re the LCG playing with ideas not mentioned by Tolkien more than Shadow of Mordor.

Everything the LCG does is either based directly off the books or at least draws inspiration from the books. Even when inventing new places and enemies it uses the same languages, themes and ideas. Alternatively it will use names or concepts that are in the books but just never fleshed out or fully explained (Dwimmerlaik, Nekker Brekkers, Nameless things etc etc etc).

Any content that is completely new is at least made so that it fits the world it is set in and is feasibly possible within Middle Earth. Shadow of Mordor has created its own weird version of what happens to the Elven Fea after death and has twisted how wraiths, the ring of power and Sauron work within that world. Celebrimbor never wore or used the one ring, never raised an army of his own in Mordor and most definitely did not return to Middle Earth after his death. The core parts of Shadow of Mordor and how Celebrimbor and Talion came to be directly conflicts with how wraiths, the afterlife and the spirit world works in Middle Earth.

The LCG may expand Tolkien's work more but does so in a way in which it fits perfectly into the world it is set in and only furthers Tolkien's original vision rather than changing it. 

Edited by PsychoRocka

That would be god awful.... that game whilst an amazing game completely butchers the lore and creates its own version of Middle Earth. This game sticks to the lore and is as canon as possible and instead tries to fill in the gaps and explore the unexplored parts of Middle Earth. Don't get me wrong I absolutely LOVE Shadow of Mordor but it would make no sense for content from that Game to appear in this one. If we ever got a Talion or Tauriel card for real I would straight up quit the game and never look back. As much as many different types of people play this game I think that the majority are massive Tolkien fans that love the game because of how true it stays to the source material. If that were to change I think many people would both be very dissapointed and lose much of the interest they have in this game. 

If they haven't quit by now they're not going to (for "true to the lore" reasons).

Lots of things have deviated, from the art (takes more queues from the movies & other franchises than actual text), to the design/function of characters (Glorfindel of all people has the lowest threat), to the mechanics of whole game itself (most successful decks involve overwhelming individually strong enemies with a horde of weak characters... not really LotR is it).

And it's not like there isn't already a Tauriel card.