Sign in to follow this  
Rinzler in a Tie

Waves 9 and 10: Welcome to X-Wing 1.5

We were eased in/distracted with a prancing gyro-cannon and some solid Ace-counters - but it's here.

X-Wing 1.5: The Conditioning

Now with more of the game taking place next to space mat! Pilot abilities, upgrades, and crew are passe. Dive into the thematic and mental Condition of your favorite on-screen characters. And if you fear for a second you'll forget what they look like, you need only look at your growing side board.

You wanted more mechanically relevant versions of your favorite ships but instead got "Shown the Dark Side".

The Mouse sends his regards.

Edited by Rinzler in a Tie

I've sat through, understood and greatly enjoyed 2001: A Space Odyssesy

but I have no **** clue what's going on in this thread

Kubrick faked the Moon Landing and 2001: A Space Odyssey was his audition.

This thread could never serve such a high purpose.

I'm trolling. But for serious. I'm p mad about Conditions and the introduction of an additional peripheral. They seem forced, unnecessary, and worst of all, a clear indication of power creep.

"Sir, we can't fit Kylo Ren's (trivial) ability onto a play surface, even if we use his ship and crew card"

"Sounds like the Ghost.. Is it useful, balanced, and interesting?"

"It might be two of those of things - we haven't play tested it"

Etc. Etc. Etc.

I think your a little to clever for your own good on this post. Even your trolling is multilayered. I can understand it may feel like a gimmick. I don't get to play much X-wing since I live on a planet farthest from the bright center of the universe, but for people who get to play more than 4 times a year, it may feel like FFG is tinkering by adding extraneous junk. In their defense, the SW nerd community can be as fickle and surly as tauntaun throwing green dice. It may be that the designers added conditions to bring some randomness back in the game with so much focus on controlling the dice. I can see people getting the quadjumper just so the they can use "a debt to pay' on jumpmasters.

Edited by IronOx

I may just be a pessimist but I worry about the side board getting bigger. It's a slippery slope.

Not to mention their debut Condition is as vanilla as it can get. Every other game in the cosmos has a "search the ______ deck for X" component, so I'm not encouraged by their creativity - next we'll have one-time play cards that cost squad points but aren't assigned to a ship (very disappointing) and "environmental" conditions that set the physical atmosphere for the play area (i.e. Asteroid Field wherein you take random damage throughout the game)...

Crabby. Cranky. Rinzler in a Tie.

We were eased in/distracted with a prancing gyro-cannon and some solid Ace-counters - but it's here.

Now with more of the game taking place next to space mat! Pilot abilities, upgrades, and crew are passe. Dive into the thematic and mental Condition of your favorite on-screen characters. And if you fear for a second you'll forget what they look like, you need only look at your growing side board.

You wanted more mechanically relevant versions of your favorite ships but instead got "Shown the Dark Side".

You're wrong.

X-Wing "2.0" was started with the release of wave 4. With the first Acewings, the Phantom and Corran. No longer did jousting matter, and your 48 pOints of TIE Fighters was not equal to their super 48 points of regen ship. Have 7 TIE Fighters left against their Phantom? Automatic loss.

Yet another forum member complaining about something that's not actually a problem. Complain about an interesting and expensive crew slot version of Maarek's ability, because it's an upgrade card, but not Palp Aces. You don't want nuanceless universal effects to take over the game, but you're okay with Palpatine?!

This game has been a nuanceless upgrade card Turretwing/Acewing win-in-the-list-building-phase meta for ~half its lifespan, and now you think that's a problem?!

It's like U-Boat haters that suddenly think turrets are a problem, even though they're only 2 dice.

Wave 10 actually doesn't seem to have any broken Acewing garbage in it. A return to basics. You and I should love this wave.

Edited by ParaGoomba Slayer

I may just be a pessimist but I worry about the side board getting bigger. It's a slippery slope.

Not to mention their debut Condition is as vanilla as it can get. Every other game in the cosmos has a "search the ______ deck for X" component, so I'm not encouraged by their creativity - next we'll have one-time play cards that cost squad points but aren't assigned to a ship (very disappointing) and "environmental" conditions that set the physical atmosphere for the play area (i.e. Asteroid Field wherein you take random damage throughout the game)...

Crabby. Cranky. Rinzler in a Tie.

I'm hoping they don't make premium resin models and open up squadron rules.

You're wrong.

X-Wing "2.0" was started with the release of wave 4. With the first Acewings, the Phantom and Corran. No longer did jousting matter, and your 48 pOints of TIE Fighters was not equal to their super 48 points of regen ship. Have 7 TIE Fighters left against their Phantom? Automatic loss.

Yet another forum member complaining about something that's not actually a problem. Complain about an interesting and expensive crew slot version of Maarek's ability, because it's an upgrade card, but not Palp Aces. You don't want nuanceless universal effects to take over the game, but you're okay with Palpatine?!

This game has been a nuanceless upgrade card Turretwing/Acewing win-in-the-list-building-phase meta for ~half its lifespan, and now you think that's a problem?!

It's like U-Boat haters that suddenly think turrets are a problem, even though they're only 2 dice.

Wave 10 actually doesn't seem to have any broken Acewing garbage in it. A return to basics. You and I should love this wave.

Your fight is with someone else. We differ on thinking Ace Wing was a deviation from the core of the game. If you want to mindlessly smash two forces together then buy MicroMachines. High PS pilots and turrets are a reality, both thematically and mechanically. This isn't Total War where the only option is jousting. Ace Wings are, in my useless opinion, a healthy nuance. And anything that brings the focus back to the play area - which Conditions literally do the opposite - is something I'll be grateful for.

You've got more mismanaged, misguided beef than I do.

Conditions? Yeah, right. You can nay-say my concerns until end of line, but when they release some gimmick, like each player getting a deck to draw from or a Planes Walker equivalent, you'll look back and say, "When did this **** become okay?"

And you'll know. It was Wave X.

You're wrong.

Your fight is with someone else. We differ on thinking Ace Wing was a deviation from the core of the game. If you want to mindlessly smash two forces together then buy MicroMachines. High PS pilots and turrets are a reality, both thematically and mechanically. This isn't Total War where the only option is jousting. Ace Wings are, in my useless opinion, a healthy nuance. And anything that brings the focus back to the play area - which Conditions literally do the opposite - is something I'll be grateful for.

You've got more mismanaged, misguided beef than I do.

Conditions? Yeah, right. You can nay-say my concerns until end of line, but when they release some gimmick, like each player getting a deck to draw from or a Planes Walker equivalent, you'll look back and say, "When did this **** become okay?"

And you'll know. It was Wave X.

It became "okay" with the release of Palpatine. To have some stupid universal effect.

And these Conditions are far better designed.

Not sure if you're saying because Palp, this is okay, or you're saying, **** it all, because Palp exists. Either way, Palp is crew (undercosted or otherwise) and he's been around too long to really be vehement about it and still play the game at a competitive level - which we both do. We can argue his merits in any of your other threads.

Conditions are perpetuating disconnected and seemingly random "plot-twists" to every ship from here on out.

How are they designed well? EVERY ship that attacks Ren has the potential to be a PS 0 the very next turn. Talk about Ace Wing getting a bump.

Balance aside, the cumbersome task of assigning/re-assigning and resolving these things is going to be a nightmare.

My opinion, not endorsed by ParagoombaSlayer, 2016.

Not sure if you're saying because Palp, this is okay, or you're saying, **** it all, because Palp exists. Either way, Palp is crew (undercosted or otherwise) and he's been around too long to really be vehement about it and still play the game at a competitive level - which we both do. We can argue his merits in any of your other threads.

Conditions are perpetuating disconnected and seemingly random "plot-twists" to every ship from here on out.

How are they designed well? EVERY ship that attacks Ren has the potential to be a PS 0 the very next turn. Talk about Ace Wing getting a bump.

Balance aside, the cumbersome task of assigning/re-assigning and resolving these things is going to be a nightmare.

My opinion, not endorsed by ParagoombaSlayer, 2016.

eh not really

the task of assigning/re-assigning is exactly the same as any other token + reference card, which they've thoughtfully provided in the expacs that introduce the condition assigning upgrades/pilots

it's really no different than ion/stress/t-beam, only it's a funny little kylo face and a different effect instead

Edited by ficklegreendice

eh not really

the task of assigning/re-assigning is exactly the same as any other token + reference card, which they've thoughtfully provided in the expacs that introduce the condition assigning upgrades/pilots

it's really no different than ion/stress/t-beam, only it's a funny little kylo face and a different effect instead

Well, you're not completely wrong. But I'm betting they are not all this "simple" and we will be hearing a lot about timing and other garbage concerning them soon enough - something we are all very used to.

Thanks for weighing in FGD, always look forward to hearing from you