Sign in to follow this  
Hidatom

scale? More than 2 factions?

I guess agree to disagree on that point then.  I prefer to not infer things and wait for official response.  It does sound reasonable in the meantime though.  So... where does it say their release date?

I guess agree to disagree on that point then.  I prefer to not infer things and wait for official response.  It does sound reasonable in the meantime though.  So... where does it say their release date?

It does nowhere, but:

1. One of the core box heroes has a special ability allowing to use a Latari Elves unit.
  2. Most likely, this ability is accounted for in the points cost of the model.
  3. FFG is known for creating balanced, competetive games.
  4. So it is highly unlikely they release a hero with a special ability she pays points for but without the ability to use it. At least not for long.

Hence why it is extremely likely Latari Elves release very soon after the core set release or even simultanously.

Edited by Nalim

It does nowhere, but:

1. One of the core box heroes has a special ability allowing to use a Latari Elves unit.
  2. Most likely, this ability is accounted for in the points cost of the model.
  3. FFG is known for creating balanced, competetive games.
  4. So it is highly unlikely they release a hero with a special ability she pays points for but without the ability to use it. At least not for long.

Hence why it is extremely likely Latari Elves release very soon after the core set release or even simultanously.

I don't want to get into an angry debate or anything, so please take my response in the voice of a friend just chatting about games. (If that seems like an overreaction, it's because I hate the internet)

Just because they reference a unit, doesn't necessarily mean it will be soon.  Let's take Warmachine for example... Privateer Press routinely put in names or types of units in theme forces that didn't come out for years.  It's simply a way of building hype or simply not having to reprint cards.  Design plans are often years out and planning ahead is quite common.  I'm not familiar with Xwing or Armada to know if similar things are done, but seeing as this is their first real miniatures game, it could be uncharted territory in terms of predicting behaviour.

Agreed, it most likely is, unless they provide no quantifiable advantage but instead just provide a different option based on theme or gameplay style. In either case, she may just be a less optimal choice until the elves come out.  That's not ideal, but it is extremely commonplace within miniature games.  It's also common place in their LCGs.  Look at Conquest.  The first Warlord to be released was a Space Wolf who wanted space wolf units that also wanted space wolf units.  It wasn't until the end of the cycle that that type of list became viable with enough cards.

Again, just because they create balanced, competitive games, it doesn't have much bearing on release cycle.  Using Conquest as an example again, there were definitely more powerful factions, often with access to board wipes.  Other factions caught up, but it took time.  In their core sets for other games like xwing or armada, there is definitely a leaning to one side or the other for a faction that is easier to win with.  That may be down to difficulty of playstyle, but sometimes it is just due to having not as many powerful cards, scenario setup versus capabilities, etc.  In their previous games it takes a while to get those things sorted out.

Personally, I think it would be awesome if they came out quickly.  I guess I was just thrown by the certainty in the statement that they would be out based on one line of text from a card.  I really hope they do launch with four factions.  Simply because I think it will hurt the growth of the game if they do not.  And I really would like to see it do well, not just in my area, but overall.

I'm not familiar with Xwing or Armada to know if similar things are done

For X-Wing they said that there is typically 18 months from concept to printing.  I'd assume it's the same here, although with X-Wing it has to be approved by LFL so that may cause delays.

For X-Wing they said that there is typically 18 months from concept to printing.  I'd assume it's the same here, although with X-Wing it has to be approved by LFL so that may cause delays.

LFL approval definitely increases the time. I remember with my article I wrote for the SW LCG took several weeks to come back from LFL after I sent it to FFG.

Edited by Toqtamish

I'm not familiar with Xwing or Armada to know if similar things are done

Is that for concepts for an existing game?  Like, would that include Scum and Villainy as a faction?  Or is that more like, tractor beam?

Edited by TheBoulder

Is that for concepts for an existing game?  Like, would that include Scum and Villainy as a faction?  Or is that more like, tractor beam?

That's how long it takes them to design a wave of ships.  

Now with RuneWar, there seems like there may be more units per wave, so it could take nearly as long even though they don't have to wait for approval.  Or it could be faster...

But I'd expect that they're already working on the concepts of the 3rd wave of stuff for RuneWar now.

I don't want to get into an angry debate or anything, so please take my response in the voice of a friend just chatting about games. (If that seems like an overreaction, it's because I hate the internet)

Just because they reference a unit, doesn't necessarily mean it will be soon.  Let's take Warmachine for example... Privateer Press routinely put in names or types of units in theme forces that didn't come out for years.  It's simply a way of building hype or simply not having to reprint cards.  Design plans are often years out and planning ahead is quite common.  I'm not familiar with Xwing or Armada to know if similar things are done, but seeing as this is their first real miniatures game, it could be uncharted territory in terms of predicting behaviour.

Agreed, it most likely is, unless they provide no quantifiable advantage but instead just provide a different option based on theme or gameplay style. In either case, she may just be a less optimal choice until the elves come out.  That's not ideal, but it is extremely commonplace within miniature games.  It's also common place in their LCGs.  Look at Conquest.  The first Warlord to be released was a Space Wolf who wanted space wolf units that also wanted space wolf units.  It wasn't until the end of the cycle that that type of list became viable with enough cards.

Again, just because they create balanced, competitive games, it doesn't have much bearing on release cycle.  Using Conquest as an example again, there were definitely more powerful factions, often with access to board wipes.  Other factions caught up, but it took time.  In their core sets for other games like xwing or armada, there is definitely a leaning to one side or the other for a faction that is easier to win with.  That may be down to difficulty of playstyle, but sometimes it is just due to having not as many powerful cards, scenario setup versus capabilities, etc.  In their previous games it takes a while to get those things sorted out.

Personally, I think it would be awesome if they came out quickly.  I guess I was just thrown by the certainty in the statement that they would be out based on one line of text from a card.  I really hope they do launch with four factions.  Simply because I think it will hurt the growth of the game if they do not.  And I really would like to see it do well, not just in my area, but overall.

No offense taken, your points are all valid and presented politely, most likely more polite than my 1,2,3,4-argument ;).

No offense taken, your points are all valid and presented politely, most likely more polite than my 1,2,3,4-argument ;).

Many thanks! :D  I honestly don't know why I find myself arguing for caution about something I really, really, really want!! LOL 

According to Rune Age, rule book, their setting. We Have the Latari Elves, the Daqan Loreds (Humans), Waiqar the Undying, and the Uthuk Y'llan (Humans with Demon Blood).

Thais a solid 4 to start with.

Rune Age expansion introduces: Orc, Dwarf, and Mercenary.

Now were up to 7!

According to Rune Age, rule book, their setting. We Have the Latari Elves, the Daqan Loreds (Humans), Waiqar the Undying, and the Uthuk Y'llan (Humans with Demon Blood).

Thais a solid 4 to start with.

Rune Age expansion introduces: Orc, Dwarf, and Mercenary.

Now were up to 7!

I can see a case where they decide to drop the Uthuk at first in order to get away from GW (the Uthuk basically being Chaos faction) for a more traditional orc or dwarf faction.

They better not drop Uthuk. I wanna play them. I don't see them doing it since Uthuk have featured heavily in all of their Runebound setting games.

Also, half of the forum expressed love for Uthuk, so it would be a huge business mistake not to include that faction in the game.

The six already mentioned would work perfectly and cover all the bases. FFG doesn't need to go the Warhammer Fantasy/40k route and bombard the player base with too many choices and factions, often at the detriment of the game itself. If we need things to fit the problem areas then a few mercenary units can be added.

Dudes you know Discwars is Warhammer and not Runebound ...

The question of new factions is, how will they released? Big Expansions? Or Just Blisters in a new Wave?

Wasn't there a Diskwars before the Warhammer one that was set in the same world as the Runewars miniatures game?

The question of new factions is, how will they released? Big Expansions? Or Just Blisters in a new Wave?

Wasn't there a Diskwars before the Warhammer one that was set in the same world as the Runewars miniatures game?

oh then i have to apologize cause i just know only the new one....

No that is Warhammer Discwars.

Discwars was its own game and my first FFG game. There was also L5R Discwars and Rangewars for doomtown setting.

On 9.8.2016 at 6:54 PM, Toenail said:

The other likely factions are:

The Uthuk Y'llan

The Latari Elves

The Orcs of the Broken Plains

The Dwarves of Dunwarr

there is then possiblites of Goblins, dragons, and the Overlord faction (which consists of various monsters thrown together)

I can't recall where I read it, but the orcs belong to the "good" faction and also the dwarves do. Will there be two more "evil" races?

Yeah, especially Orcs are neutral. Not much about dwarves anywhere in the games, but they are more neutral as well. They just work for whoever benefits them the most. In the Dragon Wars, this was the good side, which is why the Dragons lost.