Sign in to follow this  
Hidatom

scale? More than 2 factions?

I glanced at the news copy and didn't see a scale...I assume these are 28mm heroic?

the starter focuses on 2 factions...do we know how many factions battlelore had?

BattleLore started with Uthuk Y'llan and Daqan Lords. Waiqar's forces came later. Three factions total, plus 3 neutral units.

If you look back at Runewars, the board game, there were 4 factions. They had the 3 above, plus the Latari Elves.

Rune Age -- the card game version of Runewars -- had 6 factions. The base game had the 4 above and the expansion added Dunwarr Dwarves and Orcs of the Broken Plains.

So if the game is successful enough, there is a ton of material! But given that BattleLore never even got the elves, I have my doubts that this game will sell well enough for us to see 6 factions.

Edited by Budgernaut

I glanced at the news copy and didn't see a scale...I assume these are 28mm heroic?

Judging by the pictures of figures next to dice, they're around the 15mm mark, maybe a tad taller but definetly no bigger than 20mm.

So probably comparable, or maybe a couple mm bigger, than Battlelore 2e figures. Which were, fun fact, described in official FFG preview material as 28mm scale, which was an outright lie.

Edited by Don_Silvarro

Disc Wars had a bunch back in the day. Same world.

Eh - it SORT of is. The game has moved on a bit since then and I don't think many of the factions in that would count in "new" Terrinoth.

The other likely factions are:

The Uthuk Y'llan

The Latari Elves

The Orcs of the Broken Plains

The Dwarves of Dunwarr

there is then possiblites of Goblins, dragons, and the Overlord faction (which consists of various monsters thrown together)

He said, and I'm paraphrasing slightly here, "they're already designing more factions so they'll be coming but I don't know the specifics, though if you know the other Rune- games you know there's different nations there". I don't think it's really worth the effort to hunt it down, since that isn't anything we couldn't infer, but FWIW I think  it was in the beginning of the Beasts of War demo video.

Edited by Don_Silvarro

It is and it isn't. It's great that there's confirmation that there will be more factions. It isn't great that they are still in the design stage. Depending on how well along the process is, with how the lead times for production and shipping work, that may mean we won't see a third faction until GenCon 2017.

Then again, "they're designing them" is so vague it might mean anything, they might be designing the packaging for already produced figures. Or maybe the first one is already done and that's a figure of speech.

Edited by Don_Silvarro

It is and it isn't. It's great that there's confirmation that there will be more factions. It isn't great that they are still in the design stage. Depending on how well along the process is, with how the lead times for production and shipping work, that may mean we won't see a third faction until GenCon 2017.

Then again, "they're designing them" is so vague it might mean anything, they might be designing the packaging for already produced figures. Or maybe the first one is already done and that's a figure of speech.

Actually, given how far in the development process (They already have a working prototype - painted, with dice, markers, cards etc.) of a game that will release in six months at the earliest, I think it's quite possible there will be more things than the starter available at launch. It seems FFG isn't in a rush about the release of this game, which most likely means it'll be thought out rather well.

Right now, the faction thing is also what troubles me the most. Tabletop gamers are not really used to two-faction-games and in my opinion, they'll only start flocking to tournaments / organized play when there's more choice available.

I'm hoping they avoid making too many factions and just keep things simple. Multiple armies have sometimes negatively impacted larger wargames, like Warhammer, because not all armies end up being balanced or have books released at the same time. It's a slow growth.

Well, Warhammer has a LOT of factions.  I think most of us are hoping for like 4-6 which isn't overwhelming.  Secondly, the bad balance and staggered releases are more to do with GW than anything about the game itself.  Warmachine has 12 factions, they're all well balanced, and their releases all come pretty much together.  GW specifically goes out of their way to use the individual codex system but most games do not.  There's really no reason this game would need army books at all.  X-Wing and Armada don't use them.

Six seems most likely. Daqan, Waiqar, Uthuk, Latari, Dunwarr and Orcs.

They could expand on that though with new lore. For example, Runebound has an enemy card listed as "Deep Elf Assassin"

Maybe a whole new race right there.

Personally, I'm not interested in pushing beyond the main 6. Rune Age (a relatively cheap card game) is the only Terrinoth* warfare game that expanded to 6 factions. Runewars never got beyond 4 and BattleLore hasn't made it past 3. I'd like to see RuneWars actually get 6 before we start worrying about more factions.

*There were more factions in Disk Wars, but I'm not familiar enough with that game and it does seem like it isn't "canon," if we want to use that word.

If you look at Descent 2nd ed, there are lots of races that could be evolved. One could be the lizard-man hero or the minutaur hero.

A more unlikely one could be elementals.

If you look at Descent 2nd ed, there are lots of races that could be evolved. One could be the lizard-man hero or the minutaur hero.

A more unlikely one could be elementals.

That's a good point. There are definitely more races. This lizard-man, is that different from the dragon-human hybrids?

While there are other races represented, they don't seem to represent other nations or factions like the established 6. Of course, that could change very easily.