Sign in to follow this  
Cubanboy

Wave 10 Artical is up

So they are giving the most iconic Imperial craft to the rebels now?  Do we have anything left for them to steal at this point?  Oh, and of course all of the upgrades are Rebel Only.

The shuttle had better have some new tech that makes the TIE/sf not suck, otherwise this wave 10 is a huge disappointment.

Sorry, steal? You mean like how Scum stold 3 Rebel ships and only 1 Imperial ship? What else did the Rebels 'steal' from your precious Empire?

yeah, steal

they literally stole the Tie in the show :P

Theory time:

The six 1 speed maneuvers are not a straight, banks, turns, and a straight reverse. What if it's just a green straight and these rumored reverse maneuvers are the same in red: a straight and two banks. Therefore, you could back up and turn slightly. Seems logical for a ship that's made to move crates and tug ships. Imagine a 3 point turn, that sort of thing.

Thoughts?

Beat me to it

The ship looks like it has a S-Loop rule card. Do you think it might have a 1 S-Loop?

Theory time:

The six 1 speed maneuvers are not a straight, banks, turns, and a straight reverse. What if it's just a green straight and these rumored reverse maneuvers are the same in red: a straight and two banks. Therefore, you could back up and turn slightly. Seems logical for a ship that's made to move crates and tug ships. Imagine a 3 point turn, that sort of thing.

Thoughts?

Beat me to it

The ship looks like it has a S-Loop rule card. Do you think it might have a 1 S-Loop?

Well, the one revealed pilot is meant to be a bumper, so I think that's quite possible! Maybe 1 turns, 1 banks, 1 sloops, no 1 forward? 

It has four engines, so it might make some sense to claim that it it's too fast to do a 1 forward like the TIE Fighter. 

I love this whining about the Rebels stealing the TIE Fighter. Well yeah, that's exactly what they did in canon. They stole a TIE Fighter.

Stealing a shuttle to land on Endor, swinging the battle of Endor by stealing an AT-ST.

Stealing The Empire's stuff is what the Rebels do in the movies.

So they are giving the most iconic Imperial craft to the rebels now?  Do we have anything left for them to steal at this point?  Oh, and of course all of the upgrades are Rebel Only.

The shuttle had better have some new tech that makes the TIE/sf not suck, otherwise this wave 10 is a huge disappointment.

Sorry, steal? You mean like how Scum stold 3 Rebel ships and only 1 Imperial ship? What else did the Rebels 'steal' from your precious Empire?

yeah, steal

they literally stole the Tie in the show :P

Does that mean that FFG should give them TIE Bombers and Shuttles too?  Almost everything the rebels have is stolen property.  They will fly whatever they can get their greedy little hands on.  That doesn't mean that we should let them field every ship in the game, as that is harmful to faction identity.

It's especially galling that Sabine at 15/16 points also flies a better TIE Fighter than the Imperial ones.  Her ability is nuts, as is the ability to equip CREW and ILLICIT upgrades!

Let's just say that this grumpy old bastard is going to be hoping to see Thrawn capture and execute a few of these rebel terrorists in season 3.

Ok so the important information in this article that no one seems to have discussed yet....

The product numbers and ID tokens.

Heroes of the Resistance was SWX57. Protectorate Starfighter had ID 60.

Sabine's TIE is SWX59 with ID token 64, Shuttle is SWX60 with 65 and Quad is SWX61 66.

Which seems to me to mean we've got one more product coming with three ID tokens.

Very interesting.

At least to me.

The main thing that concerns me about this wave is the complexity creep. It's clear that the simple design space has been totally exhausted, hence the scum tie interceptor with tallon rolls and some bonuses for jousting last wave, and the millionith card that modifies attack and/or defense dice in way x under condition z with cost y. If Fantasy Flight Games wants to keep selling expansions, then they have no choice but to keep adding rules so they can have more special abilities that interact with those rules. Conditions are a good choice for a mechanic that's only moderately complicated with a lot of potential for designs.

Still, imagine yourself as a new player who's playing in their first tournament after playing the core set. In any given game, you could have to figure out tractor beam tokens from bumping this ship but also from being in Range 1-2 of this ship's rotating firing arc (another mechanic to learn) and also have to understand dropping a debris field and the difference between debris and asteroids while they're still trying to wrap their heads around asteroids and a cloaking device thanks to an upgrade that might get discarded at the end of the round and conditions and modifications and titles and dual cards and ion tokens and how mines work. And then have to process ten different pilot abilities and upgrade cards.*

It's a lot to handle all at once and I think it will seriously hurt new player acquisition.

I don't know that it will hurt new player acquisition too much. There are much more complicated war games that are growing not as fast as x-wing but they are still fast growing. 

Ok so the important information in this article that no one seems to have discussed yet....

Sabine's TIE is SWX59 with ID token 64, Shuttle is SWX60 with 65 and Quad is SWX61 66.

Which seems to me to mean we've got one more product coming with three ID tokens.

Very interesting.

At least to me.

Scum Epic. The ID tokens will be for the small base ship that come with.

Whilst some exciting new developments to the game in both the additions and game mechanics, I'm a little sad for our Scum players not getting their epic. I personally don't play Scum but I can't help but feel that a Scum Epic would be more exciting than a Rebel TIE.

Maybe next time my Scum friends.

Epic ships aren't part of the normal 'Wave _' format. Would have expected a preview if the Scum Epic had been due soon, although they may simply keep it a surprise, await approval of the design or indeed not have enough to show yet. Let's be honest here, we all know an Epic Scum ship is going to arrive at some point...

Very interesting.

At least to me.

There are at least three other, separate threads discussing this very issue.  Believe me when I say nobody has missed it.

She is priced fine. Backstabber, would love to trade -1 PS for the option of having an EPT, crew, AND illicit. Night Beast would love to pay 1 more point for access to the same. Youngsters ability is also pretty terrible compared to hers and, again, doesn't have a crew and illicit! Her price is fine for a tie but when you add in that she gets an EPT, action economy, access to boost, an illicit, and a crew we're no longer talking about her being balanced with the other ships. The fact that a rebel ship gets a better tie fighter is obnoxious.

Yep it eats her "title slot". Any imperial ties have those? Yes, it's unique. It's still better than any imperial tie regardless of cost. Heck, she's better off than any FO sans OL and ZL, her crew version can trade bombs for missiles with an adv prototype for action economy and munitions, and is really probably better off than any non-named interceptor since she has boost and PS and illicit and crew to cover that one red dice. It's just kinda silly.

I'll fly the hell out of it but it needs to be said how out of whack it is that rebels get not just a tie fighter but a better tie fighter. Probably just a better tie.

Please. It's a rebel hero converted tie, not a 08/15-grunt piloted vessel.

And it still dies to a volley once its dice blank out.

Edited by John Tenzer

Is there really that big of a Sabine Wren fan club? She has one crew card, and 3 pilot cards ...

She's an attractive female, so yes, all the star wars nerds want to bang her.

Though the crew card is pretty ugly.

Is it just me or does the scale seem a bit off?
I mean Rens Shuttle looks a tad smaller than a Lamda Shuttle, but I think it would be bigger than one.

Also the Quadjumper looked quite massive in the movie and here it is smaller than a TIE? 

Seems like a lot of the posters on this topic don't understand the meaning of the word "opinion". Personally, I'm not angry, I'm just... disappointed. And I'm find myself wanting to like some of YWingAce's posts, which feels... strange.   ;)

Hey, we're not that different except in out taste of ships. :D

Actually, our taste in ships is really quite similar.

You like Y-Wings; I think there should be an Imperial equivalent with five wings and Cygnus design cues. ;)

It's 15 base and 1 for the title.

Really? Huh. Looked like 18pts to me. 15pts is WAAAY too cheap for this thing. This thing is nuts. Well, good for Rebels, they've been hurting for awhile.

Sabine is ps5 for 15 points. The original imp ps6 pilots are 16 points. Youngster is ps6 with an ept for 15 points. Ps5 tie pilots are 15 points. Shes priced fine.

She is priced fine. Backstabber, would love to trade -1 PS for the option of having an EPT, crew, AND illicit. Night Beast would love to pay 1 more point for access to the same. Youngsters ability is also pretty terrible compared to hers and, again, doesn't have a crew and illicit! Her price is fine for a tie but when you add in that she gets an EPT, action economy, access to boost, an illicit, and a crew we're no longer talking about her being balanced with the other ships. The fact that a rebel ship gets a better tie fighter is obnoxious.

Yep it eats her "title slot". Any imperial ties have those? Yes, it's unique. It's still better than any imperial tie regardless of cost. Heck, she's better off than any FO sans OL and ZL, her crew version can trade bombs for missiles with an adv prototype for action economy and munitions, and is really probably better off than any non-named interceptor since she has boost and PS and illicit and crew to cover that one red dice. It's just kinda silly.

I'll fly the hell out of it but it needs to be said how out of whack it is that rebels get not just a tie fighter but a better tie fighter. Probably just a better tie.

Sabine is still priced fine. The ept isnt a problem since as piinted out, youngster is the aame price for ps6 with an ept. She trades the ps for a better pilot ability.

Your issue isnt with SABINE's price. Its with the titles price. If youre gonna complain, at least complain about the right thing. And even then, sure youre "only" paying 1 point for the extra slots, but you still have to pay for the upgrades to go in them too. Youre looking at pribably 18-20+ points depending what crew and/or illicit you use, on a squishy tie fighter that only has 2 attack dice

Wave 10 certainly seems interesting despite some of the questionable choices. Ren's Black boat of death will definitely accompany my eventual Tie Sf strike force. As for Sabine's tie, few of the things that usually come out of rebels make sense in the show itself anyway, but FFG has done well with what they have given us in wave 8 and 9, so we'll have to wait and see. The quad jumper is a somewhat surprising addition, but I love tractor mechanics beingn introunced in more ways.