Sign in to follow this  
Cubanboy

Wave 10 Artical is up

i'd wager more people wanted sabine's tie than the gunboat.

Until i started going onto this forum ive never even heard of the gunboat, but i knew of sabine's tie.

But strictly appealing to casual fans(and I don't mean that in a derogatory sense) over the hardcore ones that initially made X-Wing so successful is pretty bad.

If all it took were hardcore fans to make something successful, I wouldn't have several bins of no-longer-produced games taking up space in my house.

Hardcore fans are never what make a game successful. They help encourage growth, and can help it pull through tough times, but for a game to truly be successful requires volume, and pretty much by definition, hardcore does not equal volume. Not even for Star Wars (otherwise West End Games would never have gone under!)

With regards to the quadjumper specifically, they clearly wanted a ship for scum that could provide the tech upgrade, since scum has been the only faction without it. The Falcon is too old to provide a tech upgrade slot (notice that the Heroes of the Resistance version doesn't include it), so that left the Quadjumper as the only other ship shown in TFA that could count for the Scum. Plus, it allows for the obvious Unkar Plutt pilot/crew, who certainly is an iconic character from that movie. It's not like they no longer have the option of doing a Scurrg at some point in the future, either, for that matter.

The Scurrg isn't iconic to me. I was driven away from the EU by Kevin J. Andersen somewhere around two decades ago. (Having his books as the last impression of Star Wars prior to the Prequels may well be why I've never had nearly as much problem with the Prequels as other Star Wars fans do, come to think of it...)

Fair enough. The Scurrg however is iconic to some people.

For whom is the Quadjumper iconic and why ? I'm genuinely curious.

It's not going to be iconic for anyone. On the other hand, it would be recognizable (particularly since it showed up in things like the Visual Guides for Force Awakens, which is the kind of thing I would have absolutely eaten up as a kid, if they'd come out back in the '80s).

For whom is the Quadjumper iconic and why ? I'm genuinely curious.

I think iconic means different things to different people.  To me ships from Ep IV-VI are iconic, e.g. TIES, Vader's TIE, X wings, Millennium Falcon, Slave I, Lambda, B wings A wings, everything else is not... But that's me.

Quadjumper seems like a solid utility ship. I'm hoping the PS1 base ship will be 14pts, but I strongly suspect that it will be 15pts (which it absolutely won't be worth, naked, but they can potentially justify it thanks to all the upgrade slots).

Yeah so PS1 Quadjumper sits right in between a Z-95 and a Tie bomber.

It has good upgrade slots, but it's at PS1 and doesn't even have target lock.

Despite the 1-reverse, I'm hoping the dial is bad enough so it costs 14-points.

I keep thinking of Batman when I see that shuttle.  Darth Batman now....

Can we all agree that Kylo's name is now Darth Batman and that the condition is now "I am the Night"

Unless your a Frank Miller fan, then he is something else.

I've never even heard of a single EU ship that is in this game before it showed up in a wave, or someone mentioned it on this forum. I HAVE seen the Quadjumper in a Star Wars movie though. Which makes it, to me, a more legitimate choice than most Scum ships they could have chosen from.

I understand people's concerns, but FFG isn't wrong in their decision to include these ships. They just have different priorities than you do. That's all.

I for one, am excited for these new options. The Quadjumper possibly having a reverse maneuver, and some interesting abilities makes it for an exciting addition for me! The shuttle looks glorious and, with a whopping 4 attack primary weapon, is sure to make an impact.

I keep thinking of Batman when I see that shuttle.  Darth Batman now....

Can we all agree that Kylo's name is now Darth Batman and that the condition is now "I am the Night"

I think a better condition would be "WHERE IS SHHHEE??!!!!?!"

Quadjumper seems like a solid utility ship. I'm hoping the PS1 base ship will be 14pts, but I strongly suspect that it will be 15pts (which it absolutely won't be worth, naked, but they can potentially justify it thanks to all the upgrade slots).

Yeah so PS1 Quadjumper sits right in between a Z-95 and a Tie bomber.

It has good upgrade slots, but it's at PS1 and doesn't even have target lock.

Despite the 1-reverse, I'm hoping the dial is bad enough so it costs 14-points.

I think it really depends on the price of that title or mod that lets it assign a tractor beam as an action (and what exactly that card does). 

Edited by WWHSD

So they are giving the most iconic Imperial craft to the rebels now?  Do we have anything left for them to steal at this point?  Oh, and of course all of the upgrades are Rebel Only.

The shuttle had better have some new tech that makes the TIE/sf not suck, otherwise this wave 10 is a huge disappointment.

Watch Out!

(Subtitled: Kylo Ren’s Starfighter)

He’s Kylo Ren!

He’s PS ten

Yet he can’t find

The rebel den.

Bad Kylo Ren!

He turns and then

Goes flying past

O’er hill and fen.

O Kylo Ren!

With Force’s ken

He turns to look

Down in the glen.

It’s Kylo Ren!

Now this is when

Rey learns to use

Her wizard’s zen.

Poor Kylo Ren!

Caught in a pen

And vaporized

By X-wing men.

I am glad that neither the Gunboat, Missile Boat and Tie Avenger has seen the light. Both boats never fit into the aesthetics of the Empires Navy. And the Tie Avenger simply doesn't have a standing between the canonical Tie Advanced, Tie Advanced Prototype and Tie Defender.

On the other hand I like the released models quite a bit, as they are more known to the new generation of SW-consumers, including mainstream consumers.

The Quadjumper I like especially, since it feels like it was designed by Chris Foss, who is my favourite SciFi-Artist eva. This ship might actually slip through my "No Scum! No New Generation models!"-Embargo.

^_^

I think the problem for an IP like this will always be the inevitable conflict between iconic and game mechanic function. Curious to see how the quadjumper plays- if it adds something new and interesting to the game, I don't really care how it looks.

This I can agree with 100%. I would have liked something else in its place, but I won,'t refuse to buy it if it's good.

P.S. Since FFGs new direction seems to be ' exhaust all possible on-screen ships before anything else', does that mean the most likely next Scum ship is the Mining Guild TIE Fighter from Rebels ?

Idk the quad is shaping out to be the best ship ever

It has an illicit (BMSTs)

It has A FREAKING BOMB SLOT

and it has a mod that seems to be able to just straight up slap on tbeam tokens to enemies in arc

If that ends up being a thing...itll best ship evar

Plutt already has my vote for "greatest named pilot ever made and ever to be made".

The potential for shenanigans is mind boggling

Edited by ficklegreendice