Boba Rick

IMPERIAL ASSAULT APP

139 posts in this topic

We are working on a companion app for Imperial Assault™, like Road to Legend and & the app for Mansions of Madness. #FFGInFlight

From FFG Twitter. Beautiful! I'm so into this! I will get a group together immediately.

Arttemis likes this

My painted core set has just been gathering dust for months. So excited to get some cooperative use out of it! And for once, I can finally play as the Rebels!

HoodieDM likes this

Next year is fine.  My wife and I are finishing up Bespin this weekend.  We've played the Core, TS twice, and now Bespin.  We'll try to finish up Hoth this year and maybe start Jabbas Palace next year cooperatively.  REALLY hope it's early next year.

So, anyone here play the Decent version?  How does it work?  Is there some kind of HotAC logic tree?  Do you have to log all damage into the app?  How fiddly is it?

This is BY FAR the most exciting news to me.

Next year is fine.  My wife and I are finishing up Bespin this weekend.  We've played the Core, TS twice, and now Bespin.  We'll try to finish up Hoth this year and maybe start Jabbas Palace next year cooperatively.  REALLY hope it's early next year.

So, anyone here play the Decent version?  How does it work?  Is there some kind of HotAC logic tree?  Do you have to log all damage into the app?  How fiddly is it?

This is BY FAR the most exciting news to me.

I don't know the rules of Descent, but I peaked at the app a while back to see how it works.   You play the game as normal, and the app doesn't track your or enemy locations.  What it does do is give you instructions based on a hierarchy (Attack adjacent enemy, if no adjacent perform move towards nearest enemy), or something like that.   You tell it when enemy groups have been defeated, when doors are opened or areas are entered, or when you access search tokens (in IA this would be like crates or terminals).   It then lets you know if tests need to be performed or new enemies need to be added.

From what I saw in the Descent app, you probably won't be able to play any of the campaigns co-op, the app will have a new campaign that only works with the app, and additional campaigns will become available down the line in the app.  Though if we're lucky, they'll add the current campaign as app-compatible campaigns, I'm curious if it will be completely new missions, or if they'll replicate the various side missions so we can get allies...

I'm eager to give it a try, but I wasn't too impressed with what I saw...  the app does offer co-op or solo play in the sense that it will make the Imperial decisions for you and it also replaces the campaign book and mission decks and such by providing all the information internally.  But it only really offers suggestions for how to move enemies but doesn't do it smartly - playing against an actual person will always be more difficult.  But I also don't know how much of the app was limited by how Descent works vs Imperial Assault - I think the IA campaign structures are much more complex.

Also, will it support the different Imperial Classes, Agenda Sets, and all those?

a1bert and Boba Rick like this

The descent app doesn't let you play any of the existing campaigns, it uses its own unique campaign designed for the app.

So unless that changes, the app won't allow you to play existing IA content cooperatively.

Honestly, the app isn't much better than RAIV.

Boba Rick and a1bert like this

The descent app doesn't let you play any of the existing campaigns, it uses its own unique campaign designed for the app.

So unless that changes, the app won't allow you to play existing IA content cooperatively.

Honestly, the app isn't much better than RAIV.

It does have the advantage of not needing a bunch of cards and keeping more mystery about what's going to happen.

HoodieDM likes this

The app has its perks for sure, but converting existing campaign content into coop isn't (currently) one of them. Right now the Descent app only comes with four a limited number of missions, and you have to pay to unlock more. The poster above was talking about being excited to play Jabba's Realm as a coop with the new app, and he is going to be disappointed unless the IA app is drastically different from the Descent app, a change which would probably involve the app not being free or requiring a conversion kit like mansions of madness 2.0.

Edited by Tvboy

Also, will it support the different Imperial Classes, Agenda Sets, and all those?

The Descent app removes the overlord skills and deck, which was the equivalent to class and agenda cards. It more heavily relies on mission generated traps.

Edited by Tvboy

Right now the Descent app only comes with 4 missions, and you have to pay to unlock more.

Huh? Everything released so far on Road to Legend is completely free.

Right now the Descent app only comes with 4 missions, and you have to pay to unlock more.

Huh? Everything released so far on Road to Legend is completely free.

Oops, you're right, I thought the new content was going to be premium but they surprised me by making it free, that's nice.