Sign in to follow this  
John Constantine

I wonder how many chaos tokens exist...

I think instead of the bag and tokens you could use cards.

But that means shuffling every turn... Which is horrible since you only reveal 1 card.

I guess if they use the token mechanic well by different forms of removing or adding tokens to the bag (player card effects, scenario difficulty, encounter/monster effects, etc) it can be interesting. I just wish we can DL a app that does that job too, would be very helpful.

Still, i think bag and tokens is very annoying.

Edited by Edvando

Tokens may be added or removed before you take one. Perhaps additional tokens with new effects may be added sometimes. It's a little more flexible than rerolling a die for invalid results, and faster too. It's also a part of the game's mechanics, and we know it, so those who don't like it can avoid the game :)

At this point it's not going to change that's for sure. I like the theme of sticking your hand in the bag better. Now I wonder if I can find something cooler to use than the bag though. Hmmm..maybe a box like the one in Dune, or a bag with teeth on it, or a skull that opens up and you can grab a token from inside.

Cloth makes it easier to grab the cardboard tokens, but a box would work if you upgrade to the inevitable Go7 acrylic replacements :)

Cloth makes it easier to grab the cardboard tokens, but a box would work if you upgrade to the inevitable Go7 acrylic replacements :)

I'm not exactly concerned about the dexterity check of grabbing a token. :P

If this isn't clear, I never told they should change the system, all I asked was number of tokens, so I can evaluate if creating a custom die for this game is possible.

On a side note, I hope there is no token addment/removal mechanics in this game. Just too fiddly and unnecessary.

There are 44 chaos tokens I believe. But more importantly, the mix of Chaos tokens in the bag is how you set the difficulty of the game. So the scenario will say something like: For "easy add the following tokens" and then list which of the tokens go in the bag. So unless you are going to make a die for every single difficulty level, that's not really feasible. I also wouldn't be surprised if they add new token types in the deluxe expansions in the future.

Edited by cparadis

I'm all in for an app that substitutes the chaos bag. I hope they develope one sooner than later, and from the focus on app development the inflight report had, I think it's highly possible. I really dislike the mechanics of the chaos bag. If the tests were more spread out, I could be fine with it, but it looks like most of the playtime will be spent moving tokens around. Other mechanics already use tokens to keep track of things (damage, clues, weapons use, etc.), the chaos bag is an overkill for me.

As for substituting the chaos bags with the dice, I think it would be possible without having to customize them. Just create an equivalence sheet/card for each scenario/difficulty and roll the dice that would fit the number of tokens best. You can even change dice mid game if the number of tokens is altered somehow.

On a side note, I hope there is no token addment/removal mechanics in this game. Just too fiddly and unnecessary.

I would be surprised if this did not exist eventually, it's just too obvious a mechanic to explore.  Furthermore, I don't see why it would be fiddly or unnecessary at all.

Say you just drew the Auto-fail token.  Maybe you'd play a card that locks it so it doesn't go back into the bag.  How is that excessively fiddly?  Or you play a card that lets you add a +2 token to the bag.  How is that fiddly?  I drop it in, I'm done.

Now a mechanic that makes you search the bag for a specific token, that I can agree is a bit fiddly.  But they can do a lot of other stuff too.

44? Oh my gosh...

App it is.

But it doesn't look like you use all of them all the time. In the base game the most you ever use is 18 and that's on the Expert difficulty setting.

Edited by cparadis

I would be surprised if this did not exist eventually, it's just too obvious a mechanic to explore.  Furthermore, I don't see why it would be fiddly or unnecessary at all.

Say you just drew the Auto-fail token.  Maybe you'd play a card that locks it so it doesn't go back into the bag.  How is that excessively fiddly?  Or you play a card that lets you add a +2 token to the bag.  How is that fiddly?  I drop it in, I'm done.

Now a mechanic that makes you search the bag for a specific token, that I can agree is a bit fiddly.  But they can do a lot of other stuff too.

My thoughts exactly. There can (and I'm sure will) be some interesting abilities that interact with the chaos tokens.

And yes, one word: APP!

This is the kind of thing an app is perfect for, so I'm pretty sure they'll have one, which is customizable for different difficulty levels. Problem might be, though, if there ends up being too many different chaos token abilities (as described above), then keeping the app on top of the possibilities might be tricky.

Regardless, until there's an app, I'm with dboeren on using a large cup instead of the bag.