Sign in to follow this  
pstalker

Very Disappointed With Miniature Quality...

I picked this game up yesterday and had my first play through last night.   While the art is as fantastic as ever and the gameplay was also quite enjoyable as the topic suggests I am very disappointed with the quality of the miniatures and bases.  

The bases are all an extremely tight fit for the monster tiles.  It was very difficult to insert the monster tiles fully into the bases -- this results in a small bit of the monster tile sticking out of the base and the text of the monster tile not aligning properly in the windows of the base.  I ruined about half a dozen monster tiles trying to get them into the bases before I gave up and had to grab a small knife and insert it into the bottom of the base to shave off a bit of the plastic inside the base to get the tile in properly.

Next are the monsters themselves...the small monsters come with a tiny nub (usually on a foot or other appendage) that is meant to slot into a hole in the base.  This nub is not formed well at all on most of the miniatures with the result being they too are very hard to slot into the bases.

For a game with a price point of $100 I would expect there to be better quality miniatures.

Use a coin to insert the tile fully, these are the same bases used for the first edition so I was ready for that. The quality of the minis has improved between editions, I do agree I wish they had come up with an alternative to mounting the figures to the base had the same issue with first edition if the cut was off they would not stand up.

I have a couple of questions about the miniatures regarding this.

First of all, one of my ghosts is missing a foot, it looks completely like it was on purpose and if it wasnt for the other ghost having his foot intact, i would have thought it was. So can anyone tell me, is this a production error as i suspect or is it by design? Either way i will probably keep it since it can give some nice story to the "Missing foot" ghost :)

The other thing is, what do you guys do especially with the Star Spawn, mine have pegs that are a bit too big for the bases, and furthermore i have to force the legs a bit apart to even get the pegs towards the holes.

Sounds like a casting issue with your second ghost. You can hit up FFG support and request a replacement. It'll take some time, but it'll happen. As for pegs, yeah, you gotta force the minis in sometimes.

Use a coin to insert the tile fully, these are the same bases used for the first edition so I was ready for that....

How do you do this exactly?

When you insert them into the base they usually get stuck at that second lip stick a coin in the end the other end against the table and push them in the rest of the way.

Just flip the base and use your thumb to push the cards in. Those little nubs can be a pain however.

As for quality, they are better than 1st ed miniatures, but what are you comparing them to? I don't like soft plastic all that much myself, but these are somewhat above average quality for soft plastic. I prefer hard plastic (Kingdom Death Monsters only $400) or Metal, my last Infinity purchase was around £40 for a single model.

So be careful what you wish for :) Resin/hard plastic/metal, not cheap. I think one of the last board-games I paid for was probably Nova Aetas, and it's 4 resin heroes cost $30 on their own.

Edited by hashrat

The reason for the quality if the miniatures being inferior to that if their more recent products is probably due to the fact that they are using their allready existing inventory of premium Arkham miniatures that came out some years ago.

I'm seriously considering playing without the miniatures and just using the square monster tokens.  The artwork is pretty cool and I'm sad that the bases immediately covers it up.  I've become accustomed to a higher quality of miniature from FFG lately and this batch is subpar.  Add in the fact that the minis are hard to attach to the bases and fall out half the time when moving them and it seems like a huge loss.  I'm thinking about just rebasing them on round Games Workshop type bases and keeping the cardboard token off to the side.

Could work. I'd suggest to sleeve the chits with miniamerican sleeves (you bend the "empty" part of the sleeve on the back of the chit and you fix it with transparent tape to reduce to zero the tear and wear of the tokens)

Not a bad idea.

Can anyone post a list of all the monsters in the game and how many of each there are?  I'm at work right now and was looking to see how many bases I'd need to purchase.  Google has let me down.

Not a bad idea.

Can anyone post a list of all the monsters in the game and how many of each there are?  I'm at work right now and was looking to see how many bases I'd need to purchase.  Google has let me down.

I do not have the game here, but you need 24 bases, 2 large for the star spawn, 2 medium for the riots, and 20 small for everything else.

Not a bad idea.

I do not have the game here, but you need 24 bases, 2 large for the star spawn, 2 medium for the riots, and 20 small for everything else.

Awesome.  Thanks!  I probably have that in my "spare bases box". 

I just ran home during my lunch break and checked the models.  For those of you who don't know, one of the changes from 1st to 2nd edition is that the monster tokens are now all identical.  The backs of the tokens used to have different attack methods for different monsters.  This is now all taken care of by the app.

As such, I'm thinking that I'm just going to rebase the monsters onto round Games Workshop style bases and use a reference sheet for the monster stats.  I can always set the various colored rune markers next to the monsters to tell multiple instances apart.

For those of you wondering, the Star Spawn fits great on a 60mm round base.  The Riot group (the three dudes) fits on a 50mm round base.  The weird fish monster and the snake monster both fit well on 40mm round bases.  The cultists fit well on 25mm round bases and everything else fits well on 32mm round bases.  ALL of these bases are smaller (in some cases MUCH smaller) than the original bases, letting the monsters fit better on the board.

My plan is to start rebasing tonight.  I'll post some pictures to my blog and link it here.  I'm hoping this corrects the only thing I don't like about the game.  I'd bet money that if they weren't tied to the monster base style from the 1st edition that we'd have seen something different.  Using the same system allowed them to include a conversion kit.

I just ran home during my lunch break and checked the models.  For those of you who don't know, one of the changes from 1st to 2nd edition is that the monster tokens are now all identical.  The backs of the tokens used to have different attack methods for different monsters.  This is now all taken care of by the app.

As such, I'm thinking that I'm just going to rebase the monsters onto round Games Workshop style bases and use a reference sheet for the monster stats.  I can always set the various colored rune markers next to the monsters to tell multiple instances apart.

For those of you wondering, the Star Spawn fits great on a 60mm round base.  The Riot group (the three dudes) fits on a 50mm round base.  The weird fish monster and the snake monster both fit well on 40mm round bases.  The cultists fit well on 25mm round bases and everything else fits well on 32mm round bases.  ALL of these bases are smaller (in some cases MUCH smaller) than the original bases, letting the monsters fit better on the board.

My plan is to start rebasing tonight.  I'll post some pictures to my blog and link it here.  I'm hoping this corrects the only thing I don't like about the game.  I'd bet money that if they weren't tied to the monster base style from the 1st edition that we'd have seen something different.  Using the same system allowed them to include a conversion kit.

Thanks foe the info. I was thinking about rebasing my own models, but my copy doesn't arrive for another month (sigh) and this allows me to start planning a little. Looking forward to seeing your results. 

I trimmed the pegs of mine, painted the models, and then glued them to the bases - which is what I did with the previous versions too.

Me too.  I can't imagine playing MoM without gluing the monsters in place.

I trimmed the pegs and glued all the models to round GW bases last night.  The plan is to just use a reference sheet for all the monster stats.  There is no real requirement that the stats be incorporated into the bases.  It's just a convenience.  In my mind, having a single reference sheet works just as well, if not better since the special abilities won't be hidden underneath the base.  I'll probably just paint the different stats onto the base rims in different colors.  Then, I might not even need the reference sheet.

I ended up needing...

2x 60mm round bases for the two Star Spawns

2x 50mm round bases for the two Riots

6x 40mm round bases for the two snakes things and the four water monster things (can never remember these names)

8x 32mm round bases for the four Hybrids, two Ghosts, Priest of Dagon and Child of Dagon

6x 25mm round bases for the six Cultists

I think that's everything.  I'll post some pictures maybe tomorrow after I get a little priming done.  Painting these things should be pretty easy.  I'm already liking the new bases much better.  They take up so much less space on the actual board.

I did pick up a 50% off clearance copy of the 1st Edition core game, so I should have even more monsters to base and paint soon.

I, too, was disappointed by the quality of the minis and bases. It's the first time I've ever felt this was about a FFG product, and between Arkham and Eldritch Horror & expansions, X-Wing, and many other FFG games, ive probably spent close to 2,000 dollars on their products. I hope this is an outlier; I'm used to FFG being synonymous with top-quality components.

I, too, was disappointed by the quality of the minis and bases. It's the first time I've ever felt this was about a FFG product, and between Arkham and Eldritch Horror & expansions, X-Wing, and many other FFG games, ive probably spent close to 2,000 dollars on their products. I hope this is an outlier; I'm used to FFG being synonymous with top-quality components.

I'm 90% sure we're just seeing sculpts designed to match the older editions.  The Cultists are identical to the older edition.

I Am also very disappointed with the quality of the miniatures, all other game components are top notch but, the minis are very bad, compared to descent or IA.

Have 3 broken minis, anyone know how to get some replacements when i live i Denmark?

I throw money at FFG because of their quality. But with that said, there was definitely a feeling of RUSH when inspecting these plastic components. Here's what I urge new buyers to do before jumping in and then damaging pieces.

1) treat these like other miniatures and trim the cast edges, particularly the pegs. These will slide nicely into the hole if you make sure they're round rather than have a lip of excess on the edge.

2) TRIM THE BASES. This was the biggest point of anger for me, the black bases have a LOT of hanging snags on them this run (I'm sure the next printing will be standard FFG quality, these were just rushed out for demand) The peg holes need filed on the underside, particularly where the monster tokens slide in.  DON'T scratch your tokens because you don't want to take the time. Also, the windows need filed a little. On the first edition bases as well as these, I filed the openings for the tokens and they slide in and out with little effort and ZERO damage to the token.

3) if you want to be serious about your quality longevity of components, seal the monster tokens. a clear drying glue or clear enamel (if you are worried about the tokens being ruined test the punch out board first to see if your selected sealant causes the token ink to smear) Another thing I did with first edition bases is use natural earth metal magnets and cut off the pegs. that way the figures pop on and off with no fuss and the only "damage" to the miniature is from you cutting off the peg/drilling a hole for the magnet

With all that said, FFG still impressed the hell out of me with this edition. I'm a little disappointed with the rushed plastics and will certainly inspect all of mine closer after reading some of the posts regarding bad casts, but I clean mine up before using anyway, so it is a negligible add-on for me.

Not a bad idea.

4 medium. 2 riots, 2 hunting horrors