Sign in to follow this  
Lord Citrus

Painting Squadrons

Hello Painting Community,

So I am about to embark on my first attempt to paint my squadrons, and I am looking for any tips and tricks on what people in the community use to mount the small little buggers on while painting them. I don't want to use the stands they come with, as I don't think my hands are that steady to not hit them.

Cheers

The "Default" is if you can find Q-Tip style things with the hollow plastic core handles...   They're almost perfect.

Unfoprtunately, the **** things around here are all paper wrapped handles...  So I just defaulted to a small piece of plastic Tubing of an appropriate Size.

Yep, I use these ones (the hollow blue plastic ones) + blu-tak and an upturned tupperware lid/box

They are just about the right size once snipped. (with a small amount of force to widen them out a little)

JJCB200.jpg?1401014529

Something to hold the fighter model is a must. The little fighters are just too small to manipulate otherwise. I'm in Dras's boat with being unable to find hollow q-tips. I just cut the bud off one end and blue-tacked it. 

Its just a piece of modelling PVC tube that I had left over in my bits box...  I have a set of them, all at different diameters.

I've hand-drilled holes just so they'll fit the pegs of the fighters snugly...  

The tube is easy to hold on to, has them spaced at a distance that is comfortable for me, and because the tube is curved, there's still easy access to the underside of the miniature...

AND, because I can mount them on there in squadrons, I'm able to batch-paint a bunch of them, ratehr than pick-up-put-down thirty individually.

The important take from it, is that this lets me be comfortable...  Set a comfortable distance, easy rotation, easy on the hand, etc...  To what works for me.  Easily customized for what is good for you :)

The Flight stand can be okay - but some people are a little edgy about having the models so close together - its not so much hitting the stand with the brush, but hitting other models...

Of course, an R&V Stand totally solves that problem  :D

The Grey on the A-Wing Cannons is just Mechanicus Standard Grey

The basic colour of the A-Wings is the same as the rest o the Rebel forces, but its a little distorted due to lighting sitautions when I snapped the quick picture - in which it is a Vallejo Ivory with a watered down coat of Agrax Earthshade...

Gorgeously painted. Did you prime them first?

As part of my business, every model has mold lines trimmed  (CURSE YOU X-WINGS) and are primed in appropriate basings..  Black for TIEs, Aggressors, Firesprays, YVs and HWKs...   Grey for everything else, including Jumpmasters.

Because White Primer absolutely sucks here...  Although I'm going tohave to find some nice ones for the Stormtroopers I have to paint soon.