Sign in to follow this  
Rinzler in a Tie

The Dials are In

I don't get why people say the ARC-170 and the TIE /SF are bad dials?  Are they interceptors?  No.  I figure the ARC-170 was going to be like the Y-wing, but it gets a lot of green moves.  Why are people saying it's a bad dial?  Same for the Special Forces.  It's bulkier than Tie FO, but better than a Tie Bomber.  

I'm a little underwhelmed by the Gyro.  Having it go at the end of the turn?  Meh...

Edited by heychadwick

At least Slicer tools is only 1 point. Not a bad option if you have a point to spare and an illicit slot.

Gives a Binary Pirate something else to take besides Feedback Array. Throw 2 or 3 of them into a list and you can really dampening a PTL users day. The Range 1-2 is a lot more area to cover. Could be kind of fun with 4-LOM to had out stress or a tactician or two.

Edited by Jo Jo

I don't get why people say the ARC-170 and the TIE /SF are bad dials?  Are they interceptors?  No.  I figure the ARC-170 was going to be like the Y-wing, but it gets a lot of green moves.  Why are people saying it's a bad dial?  Same for the Special Forces.  It's bulkier than Tie FO, but better than a Tie Bomber.  

I'm a little underwhelmed by the Gyro.  Having it go at the end of the turn?  Meh...

ACE-WING META-MAX-CRAP... DATS WHY.

:lol:

I'm going to add my voice to those early in the thread who are somewhat exasperated that large ships seem to get the best dials.

Seriously, stop making Freighters more nimble and nifty than bloody military grade interceptors.  The clue is in their roles. An Airbus won't outfly a Eurofighter no matter how many special modifications it's owner makes, and more relevant to the shadowcaster (which I think IS a military ship) - a Battleship will never be able to dance around a Frigate.

I want to clarify that this complaint is not a "it's broken pls nerf" complaint, more of a "this contradicts common sense and makes suspending my disbelief when playing with my little plastic spaceships harder" kind of complaint.

uh, the lancer isn't a frieghter

it's a pursuit craft

turns out, it's pretty good at pursuing things :P

well the Tie/SF disappointment is because movie Poe had to open his big fat mouth and be impressed by the **** thing :P

Edited by ficklegreendice

d1370e84d0f9c107e42e1b1df5a59385.jpg

it's a pursuit craft

well the Tie/SF disappointment is because movie Poe had to open his big fat mouth and be impressed by the **** thing :P

im still saying the Pr....Thrust.... card in HOTR is "Primary Thrustors" - indicating thats why Poe was so entertained by the sf's movement...his t-70 was missing its primary engines and he never noticed!

/kappa

in all seriousness though he might have been referring to its turning capability, which it DOES have better than the t-70

Edited by Vineheart01

d1370e84d0f9c107e42e1b1df5a59385.jpg

NERD...

it's a pursuit craft

Pointed out that it wasn't a freighter in my post, but whatevs.

Even made very specific reference to the millenium falcon ("special modifications") when complaining about freighters getting good dials.

Edited by Stu35

- Slicer tools reminds me a lot of saboteur, and not in a good way

Slicer Tools are what Saboteur wanted to be and failed at.

Slicer Tools is range 1-2 instead of just range one.

Slicer Tools cost half as much.  

Slicer Tools have a 50 percent chance to deal a point of hull damage. Saboteur has a 50 percent chance to turn up a crit that may or may not have an impact.

Slicer Tools are pretty much a better version of Wampa's ability. It doesn't care about arc. It triggers 50 percent of the time instead of 12.5 percent of the time. It still allows you to deal damage with your attack.

The timing of Slicer Tools is also great for low PS ships. Higher PS ships with stress are going to have to set their dials expecting that they'll still have their stress token when they activate because they don't know when Slicer Tools is going to be used or when it's going to be successful.

it's a pursuit craft

Pointed out that it wasn't a freighter in my post, but whatevs.

Even made very specific reference to the millenium falcon ("special modifications") when complaining about freighters getting good dials.

on the plus side, the freighters are basically dead fish in the competitive scene atm

so all's well that ends well :P

(the jumpmaster is a scout not a freighter :P)

Im kind of relieved that the Fang Fighter doesn't have a 1Straight... They would have been unstoppable with their Knife Fighting abilities.

Im a little sad about no Hard 1 Turns on the Arc-170, (even if they were red) but I am still Stoked to fly em!

Im kind of relieved that the Fang Fighter doesn't have a 1Straight... They would have been unstoppable with their Knife Fighting abilities.

Im a little sad about no Hard 1 Turns on the Arc-170, (even if they were red) but I am still Stoked to fly em!

I will shed a single tear for my pipe dream of BB-8 on a ship with green 1-turns :(

- Slicer tools reminds me a lot of saboteur, and not in a good way

Slicer Tools are what Saboteur wanted to be and failed at.

Slicer Tools is range 1-2 instead of just range one.

Slicer Tools cost half as much.  

Slicer Tools have a 50 percent chance to deal a point of hull damage. Saboteur has a 50 percent chance to turn up a crit that may or may not have an impact.

Slicer Tools are pretty much a better version of Wampa's ability. It doesn't care about arc. It triggers 50 percent of the time instead of 12.5 percent of the time. It still allows you to deal damage with your attack.

The timing of Slicer Tools is also great for low PS ships. Higher PS ships with stress are going to have to set their dials expecting that they'll still have their stress token when they activate because they don't know when Slicer Tools is going to be used or when it's going to be successful.

On a list with only a couple ships, I much rather use a slicer tool on a Palpy Ace than a normal weapon. Palps cannot manipulate the dice, and their whole token stake is worthless.

Imperials whining about the SF dial again. Not EVERY Imperial ships needs to have a killer dial. It is a heavy fighter. You can really argue if the ARC or the SF has the better dial, both are slow and ponderous rear arc fighters.

And for once coemthing different in the IMP fleet.

Yes, I agree. We already knew that the sf has heavier armor than the fo and is not supposed to be as nimble as it and other lighter TIEs. I really don't understand all the complaining. Not every ship can have an interceptor dial, nor should it.

That Gyro mod seems odd to me. I get to move my arc at the end of the combat phase? After everyone has shot? Is there an interaction with one of the pilots I'm missing?

It usually cost you an action to move it. It's an action economy in exchange for high speed mod like TIE/x7, although it does tell your opponent your intented alignment before you plot dials too.

That Gyro mod seems odd to me. I get to move my arc at the end of the combat phase? After everyone has shot? Is there an interaction with one of the pilots I'm missing?

It usually cost you an action to move it. It's an action economy in exchange for high speed mod like TIE/x7, although it does tell your opponent your intented alignment before you plot dials too.

I like it. I think moving it at the end of the combat phase keeps it from becoming an auto-include upgrade, doesn't give extra benefit to high PS ships, and is an upgrade will only seem like a great upgrade when used by someone that plays the ship well.

And since you can move it as an action anyways, you can use it for misdirection as well

That's how I see it as well. The position of your turret at the end of combat might telegraph your intentions for the next round, but if your opponent decides to react to that information (at a lower PS), then you can just adjust it again with your action after you move.

I think in any case, your mobile arc's position at the end of combat could influence your opponent's maneuvers to your advatage, if used well.

i kinda feel like the whole "illegal move while stressed" thing needs to change. Theres a lot of ways to give stress AFTER assigning a red move but before revealing it. If you werent stressed at the start of the turn you should just be able to do the move anyway and take an extra stress.

If you land a debris cloud on a tie fighter that was doing a 3/4k, he takes a stress before he reveals his dial, which makes his move illegal. Oh look board edge...

That really needs to change....

One way =/= a lot of ways...

that is one way, i didnt specify all of them. You can also cause a crit that gives stress, which was the more common one but since it was still rare there wasnt a need to change the rule.

Now theres a way that you can intentionally do that, if you land it and not put it on their nose, WILL stress them out, the rule needs to be tweaked. There are going to be a lot of frustraited people because that happened and they were given a 3hard off the board.

The only way to inflict crit after dials were placed but before the ship actually activated was to either use Saboteur, which required a lot of setup, or to use Oicunn on a ship that was already suffering from a Major Hull Breach.

So yeah, in the very unlikely chance that you manage to Saboteur someone into receiving a stress before revealing a red maneuver, you deserve to be able to fly someone off the board!

And debris cloud is the same way. After all, you know full well that someone could drop that debris cloud on you before your dial is revealed. You better account for it in the planning phase.

The game only has two freighters with non-freighteresque dials. One is the YT-1300, which is the Millenium Falcon, and the other is Knockoff Han Solo's Knockoff Falcon.

The other freighters in the game are the YV-666 and the VCX and nobody's accusing them of having excessively good dials. The other member of the big ship bad dial club is the Lambda, a shuttle.

The other large-based ships are military/police craft (Firespray-31 patrol craft, Lancer-class pursuit craft), a scout craft (Jumpmaster 5000) and a dedicated combat craft flown by a droid (Aggressor).

it's a pursuit craft

Exactly, he was surprised and impressed at how fast it was... and the TIE/sf & T-70 go the same top speed. FFG needs some splaining to do.

Maybe all that Force-BrainJuicing from Kylo-Ren made him a little goofy.