Sign in to follow this  

The WORST Hero

Final round:

A:Spirit Pippin-Fatty Bolger

So both are really bad, both have bad stats both have bad abilities. So based on stats, Pippin has less thread and 2 willpower that might be usefull, Fatty is statswise useless because his only stat above 1 is defense and without Dori, Fatty can't defend. But Pippins ability is simply not useful because you wouldn't want him in an all hobbit deck while Fattys ability might be used if you get Spirit Merry along with him. So all in all really tough and it's a gut decision that gets Pippin the vote. I was just disappointed when he came out and even more so when 2 months later the black rider box appeared and we got a very useful version of Pippin in Lore. But don't be too proud Fatty you're useless too! :P

B:Dori-Bombur

This one is tough too. I used Bombur in some dwarf decks and back in the days when he came out he was quite good in defending especially if you gave him a Dunedain Warning (if you play dwarfs you play Dain and thus leadership) and a Burning Brand (is in sphere for Bombur). Until you got this he really shined (and still does!) in decks where you relayed on the 5 dwarf mechanics because you could play him along 2 other dwarf heroes, put out an Erebor Record Keeper on turn 1 and boom you got your 5 dwarfs together. With Dain and Thorin or Ori he can give you quite a potent solo dwarf deck. On the other hand there is Dori. He came out very recently and was SUCH a disappointment. I mean really... +2 Defense for a lost hero action is not that good. I get his purpose, dwarfs don't have naturally high defense (compared to their willpower/attack strength when you get a bunch of them out and Dain is ready) but because he came out just last year (in 2015!!! he is barely one year old) where you could just throw in Beregond or Erkenbrand or Denethor (not thematic I know) he is just not good in my eyes. Don't get me wrong I can see potential in him but if it comes down for deck building I would use Bombur in dwarf decks because he has a great ability and can be build into a decent defender but wouldn't use Dori in dwarf (maybe if I build 3 dwarf decks that want to work together) or other decks. So sadly Dori gets the vote here. If he would have been in one of the Hobbit Boxes or in the Dwarrowdelf cycle he might have been a great addition to dwarf decks back in the days but nowadays he gets outclassed by other heroes in the defense department.     

Edited by Crabble

ROUND 6

A:Pippin: to many enemys have bad side effects when engaging or when still in play. Also, kind of anti social - other team members have to deal with the enemys, right?! :D

B:Bombur: because Doris ability can power up a multi player game. Plus, he is sentinel.

A. Pippin.  His ability requires all hobbits, but his ability works against Sam and TaMerry.  Fatty's ability is at least (rarely) useful, though a spirit hero who can't quest, attack, or defend well is problematic.

B. Bombur.  Bombur is more useful in a deck with Thorin and Ori.  Dori is more useful with Dain, and also is generally useful in a 2+ player game.

A: Spirit Pippin – Fatty Bolger.  

B: Dori – Bombur.  To add to all the reasons everyone else has given, hero Dori gets further demerits for blocking a generally useful ally (although ally Bombur is pretty fantastic in underground quests).  I will say, though, that dalestephenson’s above comment makes me want to give Dori another shot …

Fatty Bolger. Both Pippin's and Fatty's abilities are terrible and will never be used (or, their abilities are so bad that it's pointless to compare them), so in the end stats matter more, and Pippin at least has more will power and less initial threat.

Dori

The Worst Hero contest has finished! Pippin is declared worst hero of all times almost homerunning Fatty who homerunned pretty much everybody who stood in his path! Dori is the third worst hero with just one more vote than Bombur.

Dori, I think, is even more a shame because he was released not too long ago... And I remember the recations when he was spoiled, that could resumed to : WTF?

I just hope that they won't release another ''bad'' hero...

But to be fair (and because LOTR LCG is such a good and great game, my favorite, in fact), there are so many truly GRAET heroes!

Edited by Lecitadin

So now that it's over, I'm wondering how to fit the final four into the same somewhat logical fellowship.

Since SpPippin's ability needs hobbits and Bombur needs dwarves, it'd need to be:

<Hobbit>/SpPippin/Fatty

<Dwarf>/Bombur/Dori

The problem here is that Pippin's ability doesn't even work with Fatty, since Fatty's only logical role is a defender (though as a 2/3 defender, he need Dori's help to survive long enough to set up).

I'm surprised by how many people consider Bilbo a bad hero; if his starting threat were 6, he'd probably be considered amongst the best heroes (much like Lore Pippin), so I wonder... is the extra +3 threat really that bad?

Seems so! Think of it for just one more threat you can get Beravor which gives anyone that needs cards 2 instead of 1. Yes you have to exhaust her but what will you do with Bilbos action? His stats are really bad, so maybe 1 willpower to the quest? That's not a kind of hero action you want in your deck. Even in soloplay I would not want him in my hero lineup because you would need a lot of help out of the extra cards you get from him to compensate for his lack of stats. With 9 (or if you get one more) or 10 starting thread you can pick 70% of all heroes in the card pool right now and Bilbo is not in the top shelf in that category.