Sign in to follow this  

The WORST Hero

A:Spirit Pippin-Óin.  The people’s favourite marches on. 

B:Dwalin-Dori.  Both have restrictive abilities, but Dwalin’s makes him fairly useful and fun in the right deck and against the right encounter, whereas Dori is still pretty limited even if you build around him.

C:Bombur-Bifur.  I actually like Bombur, but Bifur is head and shoulders above all the remaining contenders.  No real contest here.

D:Galdor of the Havens-Fatty Bolger.  I’ve used both to decent effect, but Fatty’s utility is far more inconsistent.

As a side note, it’d be interesting to see how far Lore Faramir might have come if he hadn’t gone up against Pippin early on...

A: Spirit Pippin. Had to be the prohibitive favorite from here on out. He and Fatty are heading for an epicnheadnto head.

B: Dori. I've used Dwalin before, and at a certain point in the game's life he had a reason to exist. I don't understand Dori's purpose.

C: Bombur. He's not awful, but Bifur is pretty good. Surprised he's in the bottom eight.

D: Fatty. Galdor's pretty good, and the final four neeeds to be all dwarfs and hobbits.

Round 3 has finished!ROUND 4

A:Spirit Pippin-Óin

B:Dwalin-Dori

C:Bombur-Bifur

D:Galdor of the Havens-Fatty Bolger

Spirit Pippin - no explanation necessary.

Dori - I actually like Dwalin. In Khazad-Dum and Dwarrowdelf, he can be an absolute machine with Ever My Heart Rises, an Axe, and Blade of Gondolin. I know they're old quests but he still pulls his weight, unlike Dori who's next to useless.

Bombur - serves only one deck archetype. Bifur is still decent resource smoothing in a sphere with almost none.

Fatty - no explanation necessary.

A:Spirit Pippin - Dori - If everything fails Dori can defend/attack. Being a dwarf is also much more valuable than being a Hobbit. If ippins ability wouldn't require to run 3 Hobbit heroes I would probably vote for Dori (I could see uses in a staging area attack deck as a life safer)
B:Bombur - Fatty Bolger - I played one game with them each (2 handed, Bombur in one deck, Fatty in the other :D). While Bombur was a respectable Defender (brand, ally arwen), Fatty did nothing (and I tried to use his ability but it was never worth it).

Looks like there won't be an upset and the shire will take the title (as at least 90% assumed I guess)

A) Spirit Pippin.  This one is a ridiculously easy call.  Pippin's ability is useful only in a hobbit-only deck, but raising threat and un-engaging has anti-synergy with the other hobbits.  Every other spirit hero in the game is better than Pippin.

Dori's only problem is that Beregond exists.  Beregond has 4 defense, the same threat, also has sentinel, and goes to 6 defense with a free attachment.  Dori just can't compete with him.  But if Beregond *didn't* exist, Dori would not only be not considered a useless hero, I suspect he'd be a popular hero -- you can get to 4+ defense on turn 1 without any attachments, and solid defense is harder to get quickly than solid questing or attack, and preserves board state better.  Dori's 2 defense and 5 hit points for sentinel isn't bad, besides Beregond we have 3/4 for Erkenbrand, 1/10 for Beorn, 2/5 for two of the Aragorns, and 2/4 for both Theodens.  All those other guys have recognized-as-useful powers, but Dori's ability to take a hit is comparable to the other sentinel defenders, of which there are not a lot.  And Dori has one thing all other sentinel defenders lack -- once he's too banged up to defend by himself, *he can still help defend*.  This is important, because while you mostly quest together and attack together, you defend alone.

I'm not just theory casting.  I've played a ton of quests now with a variety of two-handed fellowships featuring Dori, and Dori has never failed to be useful.  Yes, his ability requires two hero actions, but when you don't have hero actions to spare (early game), he can defend and survive for either hand.  And when you have hero actions to spare, he can make almost anyone into a solid defender.  Eleanor has to stay ready for her ability, but she's a 2/3 defender until she gets a Gondorian Shield.  Dori turns her into Beregond.  Arwen gets Light of Valinor, Dori turns her into Beregond.  And when the big bosses roll around, two hero actions can be a small price to pay for rock-solid defense.  Try him out -- replacing Dori with Beregond may always make a deck better, but sometimes you don't want to play Beregond, and for the multiplayer set, sometimes someone else is playing Beregond.  Against some bosses, even Beregond can sometimes use a helping hand.

So he's strictly inferior to Beregond, and his ability isn't nearly as awesome as it could be (if it buffed allies, everybody would love Dori).  But he's not up against Beregond, he's up against *Spirit Pippin*.

B) Fatty Bolger.  Like Dori, Bombur can take a hit.  Unlike Dori, once he gets too banged up to defend his usefulness as a hero is at an end.  However, Bombur's innate ability to be two dwarves can be a real benefit to Thorin and/or Ori, and accelerate the dwarf swarm quicker.  Meanwhile, Fatty has an ability that is rarely useful, and with a 1/1/2/3 stat line his action isn't really useful for anything.  (Well, unless Dori is helping him defend.)

50% of the WORST 8 are spirit.   Poor spirit.  

Might be a reason we saw the same spirit hero (yes I'm looking at you Glorfindel!) over and over again for years. ;) He got replaced because off Arwen and Glofrindel ally version. If that's better we will see but I'm glad that not every 2nd deck includes him as a hero right now.

Now back to topic:

A: Spirit Pippin (Dori can be useful but two hero actions for defending is just too much for my taste. Pippin on the other hand is straight useless. Doesn't fit into the hobbit play style and outside of hobbit decks you simply don't want this Pippin version).

B: Fatty Bolger (Bombur can be useful if you plan on the 5 dwarf game mechanic and he can defend decently with a burning brand. Fatty is just a useless hobbit that will have a final battle against Pippin in this contest ;) ).

Edited by Crabble

A. Spirit Pippin

B. Fatty Bolger

Spirit heroes not coming off brilliantly in the closing rounds, but on the other hand, Spirit is also the best represented sphere in the list of "best" heroes that kicked off this contest, so it's not all bad news for the blue team.

Edited by Kolley Kibber

A: Dori. This matchup ought to be the finals, because I think these are the worst two heroes in the game (though Fatty isnt far behind so no grave injustice has been done). This was a hard decision. Spirit Pippin has always been bad, but when he was released, he at least had a place in the cardpool. There were very few hobbit heroes, and for the first time you could run an all hobbit hero deck. Sure, all of his utility disappeared once Black Riders was released, but for a short time he had a place in this game. Dori was released late enough in this game's life that he has no place and I feel no compulsion to ever try him in a deck. Both of these card will rest in my car box forever, but at least one of them didn't always belong there.

B: Fatty. I've used both to good effect in games, but Bombur's ability is better and he can be an ok defender.

Dori's only problem is that Beregond exists.  Beregond has 4 defense, the same threat, also has sentinel, and goes to 6 defense with a free attachment.  Dori just can't compete with him.  But if Beregond *didn't* exist, Dori would not only be not considered a useless hero, I suspect he'd be a popular hero -- you can get to 4+ defense on turn 1 without any attachments, and solid defense is harder to get quickly than solid questing or attack, and preserves board state better.  Dori's 2 defense and 5 hit points for sentinel isn't bad, besides Beregond we have 3/4 for Erkenbrand, 1/10 for Beorn, 2/5 for two of the Aragorns, and 2/4 for both Theodens.  All those other guys have recognized-as-useful powers, but Dori's ability to take a hit is comparable to the other sentinel defenders, of which there are not a lot.  And Dori has one thing all other sentinel defenders lack -- once he's too banged up to defend by himself, *he can still help defend*.  This is important, because while you mostly quest together and attack together, you defend alone.

I'm not just theory casting.  I've played a ton of quests now with a variety of two-handed fellowships featuring Dori, and Dori has never failed to be useful.  Yes, his ability requires two hero actions, but when you don't have hero actions to spare (early game), he can defend and survive for either hand.  And when you have hero actions to spare, he can make almost anyone into a solid defender.  Eleanor has to stay ready for her ability, but she's a 2/3 defender until she gets a Gondorian Shield.  Dori turns her into Beregond.  Arwen gets Light of Valinor, Dori turns her into Beregond.  And when the big bosses roll around, two hero actions can be a small price to pay for rock-solid defense.  Try him out -- replacing Dori with Beregond may always make a deck better, but sometimes you don't want to play Beregond, and for the multiplayer set, sometimes someone else is playing Beregond.  Against some bosses, even Beregond can sometimes use a helping hand.

So he's strictly inferior to Beregond, and his ability isn't nearly as awesome as it could be (if it buffed allies, everybody would love Dori).  But he's not up against Beregond, he's up against *Spirit Pippin*.

LOL

This thread is kind of cool. :)

You know, the designers can take this list and develop new cards which let shine exactly these heroes.

Yeah the Fatty/Pippin/Dori deck might be the real deal in the future :) :) :)

Honestly, it's not terrible as is (in multiplayer)...I can post it later today, but I didn't save what I drafted yesterday (inspired by this thread).  It mainly focuses on combos.  Desperate Alliance + Hobbit-Sense,  Desperate Alliance + Vanish from Sight + Wandering Took + Song of Earendil + O Elbereth! Githonial!,  Good Meal + Out of Sight.  Basically, it's just a support deck that allows your teammates to get set up.  Dori + Fatty allows you to defend for 4 early game until you can find your silly combos.  Hobbit Pipes + Bilbo (ally) and massive threat reduction allow you to dig through your deck quickly enough.  2x Gondorian Shield and 2x Ring Mail get Fatty up to 8 defense when combined with Dori.

Is it a great deck? No...but it seemed more useful than various other decks I've seen.  However, it seems Wandering Took will be issued an errata sometime soon so the deck will pretty much fall apart as its most broken combo will be impossible to do.