Sign in to follow this  
Stay On The Leader

What would meta look like with these increased costs

If you totally push ordnance and TLTs out of the meta fat ships come back. Dengaroo will be even stronger than it is now, but you'll also see VI RAC reappear. Han doesn't come back because Dengaroo makes 3PO worthless. 

Aggressors vanish completely. An eight point hit to their current most popular build is crippling, and dropping down to Manglers to make up the points leaves them without the firepower to crack Soontir, who will still be around with Palpatine's support.

If you're running Rebels it's probably worth finding the points for a stresshog again. Hell, BBBBZ might become viable if you don't have to worry about having a B-Wing PS killed two turns in a row. Though I'm concerned they don't have the firepower to crack Dengaroo before he burns down so many that Manaroo can finish the remainder. 

But please indulge my 'What If?' scenario and say..

What if the following cards all cost +2 points to equip?

• Emperor Palpatine
  • Twin Laser Turret
  • Push The Limit
  • Engine Upgrade
  • Autothrusters
  • Crack Shot
  • Guidance Chips

What a fun hypothetical question.

• Emperor Palpatine [probably should cost 10 points for a soft nerf]
  • Twin Laser Turret [we will never ever see Y-wings again :(]
  • Push The Limit [hinders Soontir & Dash]
  • Engine Upgrade [hinders Dash, Vader, & poor Boba Fett]
  • Autothrusters [hinders Soontir, Inquisitor, & poor Guri]
  • Crack Shot [tie swarm will again be obsolete :(]
  • Guidance Chips [just means Long-Range Scanner bombers will be ordnance go-to]

So many innocent bystanders would be affected by such broad changes to upgrade cards.

The hypothetical question I would ask is:

What if small base generic ships cost -2 points?

[excluding Tie Fighter, Tie/FO, Z-95, & A-wings]

[TAP & Bomber probably would be -1 point]

I'm pretty sure if you need the things you said everything just becomes rebel regen. Poe or Corran are barely touched by the point costs, and imperial aces and jumpmasters lose most/all of the cost advantage that makes them worthwhile. In general I think the changes would knock us back to modified wave 5 where it's just fat rebel squads and joust squads. The nerf to thrusters, ptl, and engine essentially murder every really good imperial arc dodger and ordnance goes back in the toilet so it's generic jousters, pwts, and regen for days.

Perhaps instead of a point increase, one could suggest a slight modification:

Guidance chips: Imperial only!! as the Empire has access to the best military weapon systems (would end the Uboat domination and buff Bombers and Punisher as they would be the munition carriers)

Twin-laser-turret: Rebel only!! Rebel technology (would make quad TLT weaker as it is the scum unhinged astromech that opens op the y-wing dial needed to keep >1 distance)

Rest is fine, Palpaces will not dominate, but held in check by the rise in stress-dealers..

These fixes could be faq'ed just as e.g. Tactician was made limited.

I think you forgot to hit the ACD on Whisper, she's still a pretty common ace (at least in my local meta). Second is EU; if you want to hit Vader I'd go after either the title or ATC.

I think the problem with EU/boost is that it's too good on large bases. My suggestion is to fix it the same way they did with barrel roll: make it smaller for large ships. I would like to see it be only 1 straight for large ships, and would make it 1 bank or 2 straight for smalls.

I'm curious as to what the game would look like if costs were increased of some of the most common upgrades.  Not necessarily to try and make what they 'should' cost but to try and break up common existing builds & combinations to force the whole of the top tier of lists down a notch into the rest of the pack.  It's something Hearthstone do quite frequently - when they get bored of a card being too popular they don't just tweak the cost they often hammer it into the ground.

And yes, I'm not proposing that this is an easy option to actually implement because there's millions of cards around with the current cost so how do you get that errata out.

But please indulge my 'What If?' scenario and say..

What if the following cards all cost +2 points to equip?

• Emperor Palpatine
  • Twin Laser Turret
  • Push The Limit
  • Engine Upgrade
  • Autothrusters
  • Crack Shot
  • Guidance Chips

I've tried to specifically target most of the key existing tournament squads - Aces have to pay more for Palpatine and PTL, and they can't just go to Vader because Engine Upgrade is more expensive too.  TIE Swarms can't spam Crack Shot onto everything, Dengaroo has to sacrifice to equip Manaroo the way they want to, Dash is more expensive, and Scouts have to sacrifice to bring Guidance Chips on everything.  TLT was to stop people going back to the 4 Y-Wings, and then the last thing I added was Autothrusters just because if TLT took a knock I wanted other turrets to at least be viable.

None of these lists disappear entirely because all the cards are still available, they just have to make some compromises... is Fel worth 39pts (+2 PTL, +2 Autothrusters), on top of a 31pt Shuttle, leaving you not enough points for an Inquisitor as the 3rd ship?  If Palp Aces was Soontir/Omega Leader/Shuttle would it be anywhere near as much of a problem?

So if all those lists take a knock then what rises up?  

You forgot to put VI on the list. But even at 3 points people would still play it.