Sign in to follow this  
kprWichura

Total beginner to any non-computer game

You might want to buy a second core eventually, but you'll definitely get better value out of buying other expansions first. The second core just gives you a little better consistency with a few key cards, but it's by no means essential.

Ok, another question. How necessary is it to buy multiple copies of the core set? I would rather spend money on the expansions and packs, just wondering.

Not at all.

I don't know why people encourage buying the Mirkwood cycle, either. The quests are awful compared to later ones. Misery loves company?

Just my 2 cents....have been playing 2.5 yrs or so and still only have 1 core set, though I did find extra singles of all of the 2 of cards in the ore on ebay for $10 or so (really wanted the extra Forest Snares for Seastan's Dunedain trappers deck ;) ).  Totally doable without multiple cores...Can also proxy if just need a couple extra Test of Wills for a specific quest.

As far as Mirkwood...I agree that they aren't the best of the quests, but they do function as a good tutorial and there are lots of good player cards in the packs (eagles are really fun early on).  Plus, By buying a cycle at a time I felt like I got the best of both worlds...Got to go through in order, but had a little bit of an advantage by having the whole cycle available for deck building rather than only what had strictly been released by that pack.  

Welcome and enjoy...it really is a very fun, challenging and thematic game (great art also) and a great community!

Thanks for the tips guys. I just ordered HFG, should be here Wednesday. I think I want to play in order because I do not have much experience with deck building games, played a little magic, but that's it. I'll check eBay out for copies of some of the better cards in the core set, but for now it's full steam ahead on packs!! How often are adventure packs released from one another? Anyone know? Just want to get an idea before I buy my next pack. I know there are tons available now, but was just wondering.

Edited by Madjack0707

Thanks for the tips guys. I just ordered HFG, should be here Wednesday. I think I want to play in order because I do not have much experience with deck building games, played a little magic, but that's it. I'll check eBay out for copies of some of the better cards in the core set, but for now it's full steam ahead on packs!! How often are adventure packs released from one another? Anyone know? Just want to get an idea before I buy my next pack. I know there are tons available now, but was just wondering.

I think generally the deluxe for a cycle comes out and then there is a bit of a break, then the packs are about 1 month apart, ish and then after that a bit of a break before the next deluxe comes in. During that at some point the next saga comes out. So it kinda spaces out to one a month ish.

This is only a guess, many more people have a more accurate timescale.

When I started in this game I had zero experience in deck building games at all. And so far, given enough time to experiment, I have beaten all the quests I have attempted so-far (Except Dol Guldur) so I know how you feel and all I can say is done worry just keep trying (and read Beorns Path :) )

Packs are too expensive just for a couple of player cards. I made that mistake to start and wasted a lot of money.

Mirkwood teaches the game by creating one-dimensional challenges that you build decks specifically for (the locations one, the healing one etc.). It's not a fun way to learn or play.

Proxy the good player cards and and buy one of the later cycles first. The adventures are more fun and you're less likely to pack it in out of boredom.

I personally enjoyed the tutorial aspect of one challenge at a time. I had zero skill in deck building so having to build a multi talented deck straight off may have been beyond me and put me off the game.

I recommend Mirkwood because it not only worked for me, but I really enjoyed it too.

Each to their own.

Thanks for this thread, Madjack.  I'm pretty much in your same shoes.  I own the core and the Hunt for Gollum.  I've found this page:  https://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/beorns-path/ and specifically Beorn's path very helpful in learning the game.

Hey!! nice to see another newcomer on the forums. I am not alone!! Just got my HFG pack too, haven't had a chance to play the scenario yet. The hall of Beorn is an excellent resource, check this site out too https://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/. Welcome!!