Sign in to follow this  
Chief Hugh

Fixing the TIE Punisher with the Bomber title

Redline probably should have existed as a generic Title instead of a pilot. If every Punisher got two locks per lock it might be OK.

Right now other than Deathrain the Punisher is way worse than the Jump at shooting torpedoes and worse than the Bomber at anything else.

We're talking about the same k-turn-boost-vomit-a-connet-net Deathrain right?  Because wut

FREE UNLIMITED AMMO.  Done.  Fixed.  save 2 points on Extra Muni.  Bombs everywhere.  Torps for every shot.  

^this

It just seems odd that their entire reason for being is that they carry a massive amount of ordnance, even compared to the Bomber, yet they have about as many actual shots in game as anyone else. Deathrain becomes not just fun, but viable, and Redline is a genuine menace for a change. It'd also scale really well into Epic game, again doing their designed job rather than just being expensive bombers. 

Do like the idea of a point defence matrix though, but that's possibly because I've gone about 20 hours deep with D.Va...

Edited by NakedDex

The box for a deci punisher would be massive

Would rather have a punisher phantom; call it "Imperial Bastards"

They ain't in the prisoner taking business; they're in the killing rebel business

"Imperial Secret Weapons"

"Imperial War Machines"

Unlimited ammo doesnt help it when it almost never gets off 3 salvos/bombs before blowing up.

Better idea: double the attack dice of the ordnance (firing it twice). Make this thing a high priority target thats moderately easy to remove since 1agi 9hp isnt that hard at all to take out (especially with 0 evasion shenanigans) and if you dont remove it its going to eat your face off with an 8die proton torp lol

The Tie Bomber shuttle card should have been usable in both the standard bomber and the Punisher. Its just stupid that it is not. 

The Punisher is almost useless in comparison to the standard bomber per point cost/ ability and sees ZERO use on the tournament and even casual play tables. 

Every ship needs some purpose, they don't have to be meta defining but the compare the Imperial Punisher to the Rebel K-Wing equivelent and tell me that is not a broken useless ship.

compare to the kwing eh?

hmm....

perhaps give the punisher SLAM? hehehe

dear god slamming Deathfire would be a huge scare tactic while he has bombs around rofl

Considering Adv SLAM isnt a Kwing specific card it would make sense to start giving it to more ships. Kind of along the lines of the T70 being the only Talonroll right now...its kinda lame to have a maneuver literally only on one ship.

Edited by Vineheart01

What if you could fire two missiles/torpedoes at the same time, same target? You'd run out of ammo faster, but you'd at least get them off.

With FCs, you'd be more powerful than torp scouts by a pretty dumb margin

Bunch of black 8s with 9 points of FCs homing extras chips (23 base I think, 32 total) firing off six four dice attacks in a round...

Edited by ficklegreendice

Eh you could easily dodge the FCS lethality by simply wording the title as such:

"When you spend a targetlock, you may fire two ordnance that require a targetlock at that target, using the same rules as though the card read Perform This Attack Twice. If the first attack kills the target, the second ordnance is not used"

Though i think just simply saying "When you fire an ordnance, treat the card as reading Perform This Attack Twice" would be better. Punisher's main issue is cost vs durability, and this gives it a "free" second shot. I say "free" because theres no way thats a 0pt title lol

Edited by Vineheart01

What if you could fire two missiles/torpedoes at the same time, same target? You'd run out of ammo faster, but you'd at least get them off.

Bunch of black 8s with 9 points of FCs homing extras chips (23 base I think, 32 total) firing off six four dice attacks in a round...

Dude, I just want a way to fire all my guns at once and explode into space, okay?  :lol:

If you think Punishers being able to firing a secondary twice in a round is OP what about a title that allows you to place 1 ordnance token on each <M> & <T> upgrade and immediately after attacking with your primary weapon you may perform an additional <M> or <T> attack on the same ship? Makes them a bit cheaper due to the free extra munitions and while their weak primary is not very scary, as long as you bring along FCS it basically makes sure you will be able to fire your secondary as long as you get something in arc.

I just think it's a ship that doesn't really have a place in tournament X-wing.  That's OK, though.  It just needs to be used outside of it.  I'm trying to do a big Punisher mission that has 4 fully loaded of the suckers to blow up a pirate base.

AWESOME!!!

Joe Boss, got a "good post" for this!?!

I just think it's a ship that doesn't really have a place in tournament X-wing.  That's OK, though.  It just needs to be used outside of it.  I'm trying to do a big Punisher mission that has 4 fully loaded of the suckers to blow up a pirate base.  

well it has no place in epic either, a Corvette could 2 shot it as could a Raider, both at R5 before you even get close enough, or a Gozanti could ram it.

Dude, I just want a way to fire all my guns at once and explode into space, okay?  :lol:

....nice Steppenwolf quote

I do love the punisher, but it's not a piece you fly that makes mathmatical sense. I'm digging the title card that somehow adds to its ordinance carrying capability (which it should obviously have way more than any other X-wing ship by sheer design profile alone) and its durability. So, such a card should 'auto' some extra munitions and either increase its durability via added shield tokens perhaps. I agree we don't want more toilet seat like squads, but a proper Punisher build would be paired with a different supporting cast I'm fairly sure. It's true though, she's fun to fly!

02E35FAF-4CC7-4225-8290-211AEB9CDC09.jpg

Could have this title:

Each 2nd weapon equiped, is reduced by 4 (to a minimum of 0). You do not need a Target Lock or Focus to spend to perform an attack.

First ship that is not limited to use action to shoot a 2nd Weapon. Also stress only effects its movement and no bounus from Target Lock or Focus.

Edited by JimbonX

I do love the punisher, but it's not a piece you fly that makes mathmatical sense. I'm digging the title card that somehow adds to its ordinance carrying capability (which it should obviously have way more than any other X-wing ship by sheer design profile alone) and its durability. So, such a card should 'auto' some extra munitions and either increase its durability via added shield tokens perhaps. I agree we don't want more toilet seat like squads, but a proper Punisher build would be paired with a different supporting cast I'm fairly sure. It's true though, she's fun to fly!

02E35FAF-4CC7-4225-8290-211AEB9CDC09.jpg

I respectfully disagree. I think it already carries enough ordnance. The problem is you have to spend over thirty points to make it work and it can't take to much damage before it is destroyed.  

I think it needs to be able to carry both crew and ordnance or be able to fire off two secondary weapons a split between two different targets.

How about we balance it so that it can be used in competitive tournaments and you can still use them in whatever setting you like?

Sure, but I just don't see it happening.  Good luck, though.

Please forgive the bit or sarcasm please, or is it?

[sarcasm]

Everything is or will be broken and in need of a fix or nerf, at some point. Nothing is perfect except the quest to fix everything until it is perfectly balanced. And since a perfect balance is not achievable, i.e. nothing is perfect, we will need to eventually fix our solution too. It is good to remember that fixes are not power creep so really we're okay. And so continues the never ending quest for the perfect balance.

Our motto 'we need to fix the fix that broke the last fix'?

[/sarcasm]