Sign in to follow this  
Animewarsdude

Gencon 2016 Predictions

With Gencon next week what do everybody think we will see? Had we not seen the Corellian Conflict campaign expansion article I would have thought they would have unveiled that at Gencon, and with Wave 3+4 seeming to be coming out here in just a few more weeks I'm not sure they'd announce anything else. I'd be okay with just them having the Corellian Conflict there but maybe they'll unveil Wave 5, or dare I bring up the taboo of a certain exceedingly large ship?

The wild non-Armada speculation is that FFG may be announcing a new version of Twilight Imperium, and the extra-wild rumors are that it will be set in the Star Wars universe. With Rebellion just released I find this extremely unlikely, but who knows?

I'm hoping someone can see some Corellian Conflict cards that haven't been revealed yet. Love me some new objectives and squads!

I'm pretty fat and sated on news of new product. Don't get me wrong, I'd be foaming at the mouth if to get at news if its there because I'm an addict and I'll cut you if you try and keep me away from my stah wahs, but I'm really interested in what lists wind up on the final table. Can Q defend his title? Stuff like that.

The complete inability to remove myself from the country I now find myself trapped in has removed all excitement of inter-anything tournaments...  

Things like GenCon have always been, I don't know, a rub in the face to a dedicated gamer like me...  Growing up in Australia, there was always exclusive and cool stuff, that you never got to see, because it was in the US.  And even if it was the sort of thing that woul dbe a general release afterwards, it took upwards of a year to make it...

And now, now I'm just a mere border hop away, but the situation hasn't improved any...  

I just want it to be done, and over...  For People to have a good time at the tournament they can go to, but somehow not get my face rubbed in all of the awesome exclusive stuff that I will never see...    Then get stuff onto General Release as soon as possible.

Signed.

A Very Bitter, Coffee-less Dras.

I'm really interested in what lists wind up on the final table. Can Q defend his title? Stuff like that.

I think he already did that at Origins. The question for Q this year is - can he win the Worlds?

I guess thats true, cuz wasnt there no real "north american" championship last year? Also the national tournament this year had like, 20 people or something. There were better represented regionals. But he won at gencon last year so lets see if he can do that again. There will be a more sizable field at gencon.

Not to sound like I'm dismissive of his win at nationals. Just pointing out that it was a surprisingly small "National" event, albeit with a talented field of admirals.

Hey everyone!

As I was plotting out my trips in 2016, I made the decision to go to Nationals and hopefully Worlds for the equivalent cost of GenCon.  As for Origins, I could drive there; I think everyone was disappointed by the turnout... and yeah, the Regional

at Your Hobby Place was bigger.

So I won't be going to GenCon this year.  Made a bunch of friends last year though!

I'm pretty excited about going to Worlds (checking out a donut shop too) this year.

Last year, I didn't go because I was saving for a wedding (unfortunately, it didn't work out but I think I dodged a bullet there).

Tell you what, for GenCon and Worlds, I would like to see a non-Armada celebrity (blogger, forum poster) win with a list coming from left field.  I really believe it's possible... I think it would be great for the People's Game to have many champions!

PS I'm really jelly for all those who are attending!  I'm hopeful that Biggs does well so hopefully somebody can take up his mantle on the play-by-play!

*fist bumps* to all

Edited by IceQube

The complete inability to remove myself from the country I now find myself trapped in has removed all excitement of inter-anything tournaments...  

Things like GenCon have always been, I don't know, a rub in the face to a dedicated gamer like me...  Growing up in Australia, there was always exclusive and cool stuff, that you never got to see, because it was in the US.  And even if it was the sort of thing that woul dbe a general release afterwards, it took upwards of a year to make it...

And now, now I'm just a mere border hop away, but the situation hasn't improved any...  

I just want it to be done, and over...  For People to have a good time at the tournament they can go to, but somehow not get my face rubbed in all of the awesome exclusive stuff that I will never see...    Then get stuff onto General Release as soon as possible.

Signed.

A Very Bitter, Coffee-less Dras.

The bitterest I have ever seen! You need some Java in your cup

My predictions?

Naturally, we're going to see more details on the new Campaign.

if any new ships are revealed, they'll be revealed as plastic models only.  i fully suspect that we'll see a model of the Arquitens.  Beyond that is more tricky.

I suspect we'll be given hints of an upcoming major release timed alongside other Rogue One merchandise.  However, due to merchandising reasons, I believe that beyond the Arquitens the specifics won't be confirmed due to licensing agreements with Disney, much like how the X-Wing TFA set wasn't announced until release.  Much like Harrison Ford being asked to tell Conan O'Brien about the new Star Wars episode 7:  "I hear they're making a new one."

The only new ships or products they can announce are those with clearance from Disney, and Disney has been trying to hold back the really big details on the upcoming Star Wars films and the Rebels show.  A new ship, with new characters and upgrades, could give spoilers for the upcoming film.  One of the reasons Poe Dameron was a PS8 character in the TFA core set was because without seeing the film and Disney unwilling to risk leaks, FFG didn't realize he had such a spectacular series of piloting sequences.  Something similar will almost certainly be the case for FFG in relation to any major sequences in Rogue One.  

A film that will end with Darth Vader personally in command of a Star Destroyer chasing down a CR90 Corvette.

I suspect that our desire for big capital ships is going to be well sated by the end of this film.

I'm thinking the near term is going to be all about the new campaign. I'm doubting that we'll see new ships until into the fall (Rebels influenced) or around the time of when Rogue One is released ...  No matter what does or doesn't happen, I'm a happy camper....  

I'm thinking the near term is going to be all about the new campaign. I'm doubting that we'll see new ships until into the fall (Rebels influenced) or around the time of when Rogue One is released ...  No matter what does or doesn't happen, I'm a happy camper....  

It will be sooner than that.  Last year, Disney released almost all the new Star Wars toys on "Force Friday" in early September.  This year, it's pushed back a few weeks to September 30th and they'll be releasing many new Rogue One toys ahead of the film release in mid-December.

The big question is if, similar to last year, these products would have to be released in major retail outlets first.  If so, expect a new cheaper core set and SKUs for any unique new ships that come with it.  If it can be sold directly to board game shops, we'll probably get most of the missing SKUs.

PS I'm really jelly for all those who are attending!  I'm hopeful that Biggs does well so hopefully somebody can take up his mantle on the play-by-play!

*fist bumps* to all

Not going to GenCon so someone else will need to play-by-play.