Sign in to follow this  
Jedu

Where are the Ion Defenders?

I've had the opposite experience, personally. I've really wanted to love triple Ion - it was the first thing that came into my head the second I saw the /D title preview - especially having run it in the past, when Defenders were all shiny and new. 

I agree, once you land the ion, the /x7 title is nullified, but it's pretty **** hard to land that ion. It's also not the only ship you'll encounter, and a PalpAce is an even tougher mark to nail. They are decent against the Jumpmasters in so far as you can ion one and get in behind them, but you still have to worry about the other one or two Jumpys that will be firing before you with ordnance.

TIE/D has proved to be overwhelmingly less popular than TIE/x7, but ImpVet is still fairly new.

That's because competitive players are more cautious and a bad green roll hurts x7 less than it does /D.

13584774_10157059296210142_1013524297992

I've never been too convinced to magnetise my ships, but goddamnit if that picture isn't swaying me. Kenny Loggins started playing in my head the moment I saw that X-wing.

magnetized-tie-defender-corellian-corvet

Edited by VaeVictis

There's a pretty straight forward reason that you don't see triple ion Defender lists: Ion Defenders are expensive.

I actually love the Tie/D title. But one per list is plenty since they don't have the survivability and action economy that the x7s do. And obviously, from an action economy standpoint, Vessery is the best Tie/D ion runner. You just need people to run interference for him so he doesn't get shot up too quickly.

You can run triple x7s, but I just threw a list together that might be fun to try, especially because a x7 with a stealth device is a MAJOR pain to hit:

Vessery, Tie/D, Ion - 38

Delta Squad, x7, Stealth Device - 31 x2 (or you could play around with the 6 point from the SDs to do all kinds of things)

Personally I enjoy running  2 Glaives X7+ Adaptability and Vessery TIE/D tractor+ Adaptability and having the best of both the X7 and TIE/D

So far 4-1 with the list, being able to Tractor a target and then hammer them with 3 3+ Die attacks(with TLs) is a tremendous amount of punishment that usually means I am flying 3v2 after the first engagement which then makes the X7 even better on the Glaives when you have one less shot coming at you.

Personally I enjoy running  2 Glaives X7+ Adaptability and Vessery TIE/D tractor+ Adaptability and having the best of both the X7 and TIE/D

So far 4-1 with the list, being able to Tractor a target and then hammer them with 3 3+ Die attacks(with TLs) is a tremendous amount of punishment that usually means I am flying 3v2 after the first engagement which then makes the X7 even better on the Glaives when you have one less shot coming at you.

I'd trade one of those Glaives for Ryad, just because with her pilot ability, it takes more than one ship chasing her to take her down. And that frees up your other two Defenders to bust some heads. It's a totally worth wild trade off for 1 less pilot skill.

Edited by Maringue

Didn't Mynock Squadron just talk about someone with /x7 then playing someone with /D title?  

You will find TIE/D Defenders on Vassal, when I'm playing. You'll also see at least one at Gen-Con, assuming no kid-stuff comes up and keeps me home.

As a long standing supporter of your Tie Defender lists, I'd love to read a tournament report from you.  It would probably be the first tournament report in months I'd bother reading.  :)

Didn't Mynock Squadron just talk about someone with /x7 then playing someone with /D title?  

You will find TIE/D Defenders on Vassal, when I'm playing. You'll also see at least one at Gen-Con, assuming no kid-stuff comes up and keeps me home.

As a long standing supporter of your Tie Defender lists, I'd love to read a tournament report from you.  It would probably be the first tournament report in months I'd bother reading.   :)

That was Nova, and it was MajorJuggler talking about a Vassal game vs me.  

I'd trade one of those Glaives for Ryad, just because with her pilot ability, it takes more than one ship chasing her to take her down. And that frees up your other two Defenders to bust some heads. It's a totally worth wild trade off for 1 less pilot skill.

I just knew someone would say bring Ryad instead lol  :P The thing about that though is that dropping that PS means you lose the advantage of the entire squad being at 7, so it means having to move her first which could cause problems with the other 2 and shooting her last, which could be a problem (my group ATM plays tractor beams must use an effect on small ships since it says "choose" to boost/br not a "may choose" it may be FAQed later but that's the way we play it for now).

Of course you also run into the Simultaneous fire rule more with Ryad so against another 6 rather than blowing it off the board it may be able to get a return shot (granted its a gamble subject to the usual PS bid issues, but 6 is a fairly common number with Crack Shot Brobots, and Juke/Crack Vessery and Glaives

I just knew someone would say bring Ryad instead lol  :P The thing about that though is that dropping that PS means you lose the advantage of the entire squad being at 7, so it means having to move her first which could cause problems with the other 2 and shooting her last, which could be a problem (my group ATM plays tractor beams must use an effect on small ships since it says "choose" to boost/br not a "may choose" it may be FAQed later but that's the way we play it for now).

Of course you also run into the Simultaneous fire rule more with Ryad so against another 6 rather than blowing it off the board it may be able to get a return shot (granted its a gamble subject to the usual PS bid issues, but 6 is a fairly common number with Crack Shot Brobots, and Juke/Crack Vessery and Glaives

This seems like more of an issue on paper than it is an issue in game play. And I find that Ryad's pilot ability FAR outweighs any negatives you get from losing one point of pilot skill since she can fly circles around other ships. And given the 3 defense dice plus an evade from x7, the rules on simultaneous don't really worry me. And I've honestly never actually had to use those rules anyway. Most of the time when Ryad kills another PS5 ship, she's either behind them or out of arc. But even if that other ship gets to fire back, 3 dice and a banked evade are hard to shoot through.

And the issue you're having with the tractor beam effect is a non-issue. The card reads: "The first time a small ship receives a tractor beam token each round, the opposing player may choose one of the following effects:" So you never are forced to boost/barrel roll a ship you don't want to.

I get that moving all your ships at the same pilot skill definitely has it's benefits, but having watched how frustrated my opponent gets trying to line up a shot on Ryad, I'd say she's worth it. Also, If you play Ryad, you can just give her Adaptability and run the whole squad at PS 6 instead of PS 7.

As Mike Tyson once put it... "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face."

The Double D Ion team ruins just about every lists day.  You can fly a beefed up Jonus (with two crew members of your choice) or a High PS ace to further ruin your opponents day.  You should also have plenty of room for TIE MkII mods for your Ds.  I love flying The Inquisitor with my Double Ion Ds.  They all slow roll, get their target at Range 3 and then move in for the kill.

As Mike Tyson once put it... "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face."

The Double D Ion team ruins just about every lists day.  You can fly a beefed up Jonus (with two crew members of your choice) or a High PS ace to further ruin your opponents day.  You should also have plenty of room for TIE MkII mods for your Ds.  I love flying The Inquisitor with my Double Ion Ds.  They all slow roll, get their target at Range 3 and then move in for the kill.

Dude, I constantly had that quote in mind when I played two HLC Defenders.  You just hammer the most important ship in a squad on the first turn and watch what happens.  

Dude, I constantly had that quote in mind when I played two HLC Defenders.  You just hammer the most important ship in a squad on the first turn and watch what happens.  

I won two local tournaments with Jonus brothers and vowed never to fly it again.  With Imperial Vets, the list got even better.  It's a smash mouth list.  You know how it's all going to end after the first round of combat.

This seems like more of an issue on paper than it is an issue in game play. And I find that Ryad's pilot ability FAR outweighs any negatives you get from losing one point of pilot skill since she can fly circles around other ships. And given the 3 defense dice plus an evade from x7, the rules on simultaneous don't really worry me. And I've honestly never actually had to use those rules anyway. Most of the time when Ryad kills another PS5 ship, she's either behind them or out of arc. But even if that other ship gets to fire back, 3 dice and a banked evade are hard to shoot through.

And the issue you're having with the tractor beam effect is a non-issue. The card reads: "The first time a small ship receives a tractor beam token each round, the opposing player may choose one of the following effects:" So you never are forced to boost/barrel roll a ship you don't want to.

I get that moving all your ships at the same pilot skill definitely has it's benefits, but having watched how frustrated my opponent gets trying to line up a shot on Ryad, I'd say she's worth it. Also, If you play Ryad, you can just give her Adaptability and run the whole squad at PS 6 instead of PS 7.

Okay I missed the Errata on the "may", (I'm getting kinda tired of having cards being errata'd so soon after they are released but that is another issue).

The simultaneous fire though doesn't just apply to shooting at Ryad though the ship that could have been dead now can shoot at a potentially wounded Glaive or at Vessery who doesn't have the evade. adaptability on her works if you drop it off of the other glaive and Vessery so you then trade 3 7s for 3 6s just for her ability which is less appealing

And herein lies the crux: TIE/D is powerful, but it's unforgiving. If you can fly base-state defenders well (aka are bio or other actually-played-them-before folks), you can get huge dividends out of them, because they're no less survivable than before.

... If you're part of the new wave of players? Dude, free evades! The x7 is one of the most forgiving hulls in the game, right up there with fat turrets or an autoblaster lothal rebel.

Edited by Reiver

I took a Tie/D Vessery with Ion to my first tournament last Saturday! Made top 4. I was running ruthlessness and crushing the small squads that came at me...and also Dengaroo for some reason? 

Anyway, got effed by Palp Aces (with the help of bad green dice)! 

Had a super fun time! 

I'm running a fun triple defender list:

Ryad w/ X7, PtL

Delta w/ Tie/D, Ion Cannon

Delta w/ Tie/D, Tractor Beam

Comes out to 99 points, if I had the card I'd add a Twin Ion Engine Mk II to Ryad to make it easier to clear PtL stress..

Generally strategy is to keep the two Deltas together while Ryad flies around and does 5k turns to stay out of enemy arcs and in general hassle them. The combination of evade (from x7), focus (from her action), and lots of K-Turning usually puts her in only one ship's arc making Ryad incredibly survivable.

The two Deltas, on the other hand, are the hammer. Keeping them close together let's them focus fire on one target, with the Tractor Beam lowering the target's agility (had a game last night where I twice was able to use the tractor beam to pull the enemy into Range 1 as well) for the succeeding three shots. 

I'm running a fun triple defender list:

Ryad w/ X7, PtL

Delta w/ Tie/D, Ion Cannon

Delta w/ Tie/D, Tractor Beam

Comes out to 99 points, if I had the card I'd add a Twin Ion Engine Mk II to Ryad to make it easier to clear PtL stress..

Generally strategy is to keep the two Deltas together while Ryad flies around and does 5k turns to stay out of enemy arcs and in general hassle them. The combination of evade (from x7), focus (from her action), and lots of K-Turning usually puts her in only one ship's arc making Ryad incredibly survivable.

The two Deltas, on the other hand, are the hammer. Keeping them close together let's them focus fire on one target, with the Tractor Beam lowering the target's agility (had a game last night where I twice was able to use the tractor beam to pull the enemy into Range 1 as well) for the succeeding three shots. 

I've been running:

Ryad w/ PTL, x7 & TIE Mk II

2x Delta w/ Tie/D, Tractor Beam & TIE Mk II

6-0 so far, including 3rd place in a Hanger Bay style Tournament. It's been fun and successful so far. Kill list includes: Poe, Dengar, Super Dash, Bossk, Psycho Tycho and a Party Bus.

People see Tractor Beam and freak or they ignore it and die. Few things are more satisfying than pushing Poe onto the back of an asteroid, shooting him at Agility 1 then watching him have to fly through the rock AGAIN and explode!

x7 is awesome but I love Tie/D.

Edited by Dorn05

Ummm... could anyone explain what "Jonus Brothers" list consists of?

Captain Jonus — TIE Bomber 22 Fleet Officer 3 Systems Officer 2 TIE Shuttle 0 Ship Total: 27     Delta Squadron Pilot — TIE Defender 30 Ion Cannon 3 Hull Upgrade 3 TIE/D 0 Ship Total: 36     Delta Squadron Pilot — TIE Defender 30 Ion Cannon 3 Hull Upgrade 3 TIE/D 0 Ship Total: 36  

Ummm... could anyone explain what "Jonus Brothers" list consists of?

Captain Jonus — TIE Bomber 22 Fleet Officer 3 Systems Officer 2 TIE Shuttle 0 Ship Total: 27     Delta Squadron Pilot — TIE Defender 30 Ion Cannon 3 Hull Upgrade 3 TIE/D 0 Ship Total: 36     Delta Squadron Pilot — TIE Defender 30 Ion Cannon 3 Hull Upgrade 3 TIE/D 0 Ship Total: 36  

Or

blank.gif?v155Captain Jonus + TIE Shuttle + Squad Leader + Systems Officer + Fleet Officer (29)
blank.gif?v155Countess Ryad + Tractor beam + Push the Limit + TIE/D (38)
blank.gif?v155Delta Squadron Pilot + Ion Cannon + TIE/D (33)