Sign in to follow this  
BleakSquadron

Countess Ryad

I never saw a point of EU on Ryad. Once in awhle i'll wish i had it so i could turn just a liiiiiiittle more but more often than not the 5K gets me the shot anyway.

Same here. IMO, the opportunity cost of not having Twin Ion Engines is enough. Factor in the 3 points you're saving, and it's a no-brainer for me.

If it were the same cost or 1 point more, I would take Engine Upgrade Ryad 100% of the time over Mk2 Engine Ryad.  The speed combined with the flexibility while K-turning is just great.  At 3 points more, it's tougher to take.  It's awesome, but sometimes a list doesn't have the 3 points for Ryad to take the EU.

True, if it were the same cost, I would consider EU for the bumping potential. But at 1 pts vs 4 pts, I'm too cheap to splurge on that luxury :P

She's imperial Sabine. I think that would be a good fight, it almost entirely depends on initiative. If Ryad has initiative, a well flown Sabine should cut her to ribbons. If Sabine has initiative, she'd be at a disadvantage, but not as bad as the reverse.

I think of Ryad as Imperial Guri. She is definitely better than Guri currently... How many years till the starviper fix?

Guri, Sabine, and Ryad are all in the same category. Cool pilots with amazing abilities who are only kept in check with their PS 5. If any of them were PS 9...

Dude, if EU was 1-2pts i'd probably put that on a LOT of ships. The 4pts is why i rarely use it except on large ships, vader, certain HWK builds (you'd be amazed how quick Jan Ors can move with that upgrade lol), or in odd situations tie/fo. I WANT it on Wedge so bad but wow that makes him too pricy to bring in a good list.

Guri, Sabine, and Ryad are all in the same category. Cool pilots with amazing abilities who are only kept in check with their PS 5. If any of them were PS 9...

If you really want to bump them up to higher PS you can always use this on a cheap, high-PS pilot.

Decoy.png

If you really want to bump them up to higher PS you can always use this on a cheap, high-PS pilot.

Decoy.png

So I bring a 30pt cobra to boost guri? ^-^ 

I am not sure if that plan is really a valid one. 

Especially as decoy does nothing in the activation phase. 

Oh man would Ryad want to be putting in some serious twerk to warrant swapping with a PS9+ ace, nevermind giving up their entire EPT just to keep PTL/Juke on Ryad. I mean, I can borderline justify that with my trolling PS11/12 Echo build, but goddamn... you'd need to be putting out some outrageous damage to make that viable.

its not a waste. Shes going to have VI anyway. Now you could do it with Vader to make her PS9 so she has a normal ept, but i'd rather make her high if im going decoy.

Epsilon Ace only needs to be hit twice or dealt a card to render that strat useless, however if you do VI Vader and focus on evasion with his actions Echo will be PS11 long as hes alive, and he lasts a LOT longer than a tie/fo.

I rather baffled my opponent when i willingly made Vader ps6 lol....but it let Echo go after Dengar with no fear of a nasty turret firing first before i could cloak. That was huge since usually when i face him with echo she's flying wide trying to avoid him and pick off the other ships, because the moment shes not at range3 shes being shot at by Dengar before she can cloak.

I played against her twice and found her squishy still. A bit predictable even. Granted my list had Soontir and Inquisitor, who themselves are pretty slippery, but still. I agree she's well worth the pts though and could round out a solid list, but I'd never build around her. 

its not a waste. Shes going to have VI anyway. Now you could do it with Vader to make her PS9 so she has a normal ept, but i'd rather make her high if im going decoy.

Epsilon Ace only needs to be hit twice or dealt a card to render that strat useless, however if you do VI Vader and focus on evasion with his actions Echo will be PS11 long as hes alive, and he lasts a LOT longer than a tie/fo.

I rather baffled my opponent when i willingly made Vader ps6 lol....but it let Echo go after Dengar with no fear of a nasty turret firing first before i could cloak. That was huge since usually when i face him with echo she's flying wide trying to avoid him and pick off the other ships, because the moment shes not at range3 shes being shot at by Dengar before she can cloak.

I meant it'd be a waste on Ryad. On Echo it makes complete sense; moving early and shooting late suits her. I ran it  with both Epsilon Ace rocking Comms and a Shield Upgrade and VI Vader, so she always had a choice, and could bounce around a bit. Not the most competitive list I've ever built, but undoubtedly one of the most fun. Explaining the mechanic was always one of the best parts ("she can do what, now? What do you mean she can shoot before my Vader/Wedge?!?!").

Ah yeah pointless on Ryad.

Im in the boat of people that dont want her to move first at all. The one game i ran her against 4 low PS ships actually bugged me because his entire list moved before ryad which made the wide array of movement very limited. When she moves first its hilariously easy to kturn block one guy and fire at another.

Im in the boat of people that dont want her to move first at all. The one game i ran her against 4 low PS ships actually bugged me because his entire list moved before ryad which made the wide array of movement very limited. When she moves first its hilariously easy to kturn block one guy and fire at another.

I am a fan of moving first with Ryad. First, because of her infinitely flexible K-turn, you can K-turn and land right in front of another ship without bumping, get your evade from x7 75% of the time, then focus. And when that ship moves, it either hits you, loses its action and can't shoot you or it ends up smack in the middle of your firing arc, usually facing away from you.

I almost never use her ability as a reactive ability.

I am a fan of moving first with Ryad. First, because of her infinitely flexible K-turn, you can K-turn and land right in front of another ship without bumping, get your evade from x7 75% of the time, then focus. And when that ship moves, it either hits you, loses its action and can't shoot you or it ends up smack in the middle of your firing arc, usually facing away from you.

I almost never use her ability as a reactive ability.

Yep.  This is part of what makes her so good.  On top of that, compared to other PTL users, she's much less reliant on the card as well.  If you just need full defense, you Focus, picking up your free Evade.  You can also store TLs that are unused for later rounds.  It's quite possible for a Ryad that is blocked (or runs over an asteroid) to have effectively 2 actions, or for a Ryad that doesn't use PTL to have effectively 3 actions available for a turn.  

i routinely bank TL for future turns. If i got a range3 shot (or i think its range2), cant shoot, or im hitting a target im not interested in kill at the moment i'll TL the intended target and keep it.

Its a habit ive been trying to get a few friends into, they tend to never TL unless they wanted it that round. Especially if youre trying to fire a missile with X ship, unless youre needing the focus for defense f'ing TL and keep it so you have TL + Focus when you fire lol

I played against her twice and found her squishy still. A bit predictable even. Granted my list had Soontir and Inquisitor, who themselves are pretty slippery, but still. I agree she's well worth the pts though and could round out a solid list, but I'd never build around her.

I honestly think that's the best way to view her. She's not the main trick, but she is an awesome addition to a team and can be a solid closer.

I agree that everyone here is having fun with the Countess [iran] Ryad.  Like everyone else, I love flying her.

I usually fly her like everyone else:Countess Ryad + PtL + Twin Ion Engine, Mk. II + TIE/x7

But I team her up with:

Soontir Fel + PtL + Autothrusters + Royal Guard TIE + Stealth Device

Tetran Cowall + Adaptability (formerly Veteran Instincts) + Autothrusters + Royal Guard TIE + Twin Ion Engine, Mk. II

Total points: 98/100

(From time to time, I'll swapped out Cowall for Carnor Jax + Adaptability + Autothrusters + Royal Guard TIE + Twin Ion Engine, Mk. II [100/100 points].)

Love it! With Ryad getting popular I was wondering when Tetran would pop up!

Tetran is still a red move though and on an action-dependant ship. Interceptors never kturn because of how stupid valuable tokens are for them....its usually better to do a 2hard a couple turns and PTL for tokens than to do a red move once and have no tokens.

If only there was a mod that affected red moves..../wish

There is!

Soontir :P

More seriously, there is!

Problem is it's a tech upgrade (heroes of the Resistance, pattern analyzer with glimpses text allowing g you to put "perform action step" before check pilot stress when executing a ??? Manuever, which basically has to be red)

So...no go interceptor s :(

But hey! The SF will love it :)

Tetran is still a red move though and on an action-dependant ship. Interceptors never kturn because of how stupid valuable tokens are for them....its usually better to do a 2hard a couple turns and PTL for tokens than to do a red move once and have no tokens.

If only there was a mod that affected red moves..../wish

I'm really suprised how little I see Ryad with Engine Upgrade.

Part of the fun playing with Defender is they go fast! No brainer to put even bigger engine in that vehicle now when it has a pilot who can actually benefit from using it right?

idk, even at 36 there always seems to be more than enough room for Ryad

PTL x7 Tie/mk2 Ryad

Juke x7 Vessery

LRS Deathfire with Homing, Conners and extras (could be palp, but that'd be boring)

it's called "The Mod Squad" because even Deathfire gets full mods :lol:

Don't you think the PS of these pilots works against the build? I do like this list and how it has a certain synergy to it.