Sign in to follow this  
AstinDextor

XP for Astropaths' powers?

On the Astropath Transcendant Rank Charts, it lists a static cost for new powers, while the power lists in the Psyker Powers chapter lists individual XP Costs for each power. I'm unclear as to whether A) you use the Rank charts and pay static costs B) you pay the cost listed in the Powers chapter or C) you pay both, first the Rank cost for the right o buy a power, then the cost of the individual power. Does anyone know for sure?

Graspar said:

Err, so you're saying that If it says Psychic power (500xp) and I want to buy a power with 100 xp cost I still have to pay 500? Madness. 

Yes, you should have taken the power with one of your psychic power (100xp) talents.

Varnias Tybalt said:

MILLANDSON said:

THIS IS SPARTA! gui%C3%B1o.gif

But yea, you buy the talent for the cost shown, and then chose a power that costs that number of XP or less.

What's wrong with taking several powers of less cost at the same go?

I am in agreement.

I would just say that it is just a cap as far as how much the psychic power could cost.  If the ranks cost is 500 and you want a 200xp power you pay the 200xp, but you are considered having purchased the power for the rank.  I think it would throw off the physic mastery a bit if you were take powers to add up to the 500xp

Just a thought

Varnias Tybalt said:

MILLANDSON said:

But yea, you buy the talent for the cost shown, and then chose a power that costs that number of XP or less.

As long as the total doesn't exceed the cost of the talent, I see no problem with it.

I'd say no to that, because 3 100xp and one 200xp powers would be more useful than one 500xp power. If you were going down that route, I'd say, as Khorne did, that you could only buy the one power, but you only had to pay the amount of XP shown for that power, and you can pick any one power up to 500xp.

MILLANDSON said:

I'd say no to that, because 3 100xp and one 200xp powers would be more useful than one 500xp power. If you were going down that route, I'd say, as Khorne did, that you could only buy the one power, but you only had to pay the amount of XP shown for that power, and you can pick any one power up to 500xp.

Not to mention that when you take the Psychic Technique talent it specifically says that you only get one Technique with an XP cost of equal or lesser value.

Zarkhovian_Rhythm said:

MILLANDSON said:

Not to mention that when you take the Psychic Technique talent it specifically says that you only get one Technique with an XP cost of equal or lesser value.

Yea, on reading it, you do have to spend the XP cost of the talent, and then you what power you want. So it's in your best interests to get a 500xp power with a 500xp talent, otherwise you are wasting your XP.

I think that's largely the way it works in practice, the higher rank you are, the more expensive the powers you can purchase. But if you really want to shell out for that 500xp power advance to buy a 300xp power, you can do it.

I have questions.

Don't you find it wrong that you could potentially pay 500xp for a 100xp rank spell if you get to level 7 or higher? The more powerful psyker you become the harder it is to learn trivial things?!

Why is there a 400xp rank spell, when you can only ever purchase stuff at 300xp and 500 xp at rank 7?

Why are there spells listed as 100xp in the Teleknisis tree and Divination tree when they all must cost at least 200xp (because the talent costs 200xp minimum at the rank you get the new discipline, and swiftly jumps to even higher: 300).

To get around these, yes, it is technically possible to completely avoid your rank 1 Psychic Technique Talent 100xp, and save them for later when you have to buy 100xp spells, but that is entirely counter-intuitive, power-gaming and not in the spirit of roleplay. But this is what is being encouraged by this version of the rules, so it seems. You are encouraged to min/max your spells because you are literally afraid of leaking 1000's of xp over a handful of levels.

My next question is: If you house ruled that you pay the xp cost on the spell (not the talent) providing the spell does not exceed the cost of the talent, would this be too powerful?

vip_chicken said:

You are encouraged to min/max your spells because you are literally afraid of leaking 1000's of xp over a handful of levels.

All depends on how much you care about xp and getting advances. My preference is on the personality and character of my characters, so I could care less if I lose a few hundred xp over the space of the game, assuming I decide to get lots of psychic powers in the first place.

Guest Not In Sample

jareddm said:

Varnias Tybalt said:

MILLANDSON said:

I am in agreement.

This is how the rules should work; suggest it in the errata section.

Remember that you can also buy advancements you did not take in previous ranks, so as long as you did not 'use up' all your previous rank's 100 xp power purchases you should still be able to 'go back' and buy it. If you have used them up, move on to the next higher xp value advance and use those. This effectively caps the amount of powers you can get, but I think that is intended.