Sign in to follow this  
joyrock

Finally got to play my 5 TAP list, and I think it's a new favorite.

I have seen four Barons with Crackshot, title, Prockets and Guidance joust a triple jumpmaster list.

They went from range 4 to range 1 and removed two jumps in that turn.

They lost a Baron in return.

Now I will admit that the red dice were a little hot (20 reds and something like 18 hits with guidance) but ****. The match was over. They just racked up and went again. Ha ha.

That's not hot dice, that's the power of a focus token + guidance chips.  The odds of getting 18 or more hits out of 4 5-die procket attackers with guidance chips is ~68.3%.   The odds of getting less than 16 hits is ~5.5%.

me rolling 2 hits on 4 dice is hot rolling for me :-)

I've been using the OP's exact list since the TAP came out and it is very fun to fly! It's sort of like a Tie swarm(a list I've been playing since wave 1) with an awesome alpha strike! I can usually keep an ace in arc by sending 1 or two to cause a bump, and then unload on the token less ace. It's tons of fun!

I have seen four Barons with Crackshot, title, Prockets and Guidance joust a triple jumpmaster list.

Now I will admit that the red dice were a little hot (20 reds and something like 18 hits with guidance) but ****. The match was over. They just racked up and went again. Ha ha.

I've had similar results against a Dash Render and ace build(I can't remember who the ace was) I basically jousted him slow the first turn or two, the shot up quick with one and caused Dash to bump. The rest came a bit slower, but still range 1. Bye Dash. My opponent conceded on turn 3 and we played again using different lists.

I played a 5 TAP list (with prockets, chips and title), and it's a lot of fun indeed. They're really maneuverable and annoying.

Too bad my opponent flew Cornor Jax, denying my prockets and nullifying the title on 2-3 ships each turn because he flew it really well. It's a good counter to the list I think. And I'll probably fly the list again, too.

Edited by haslo

It would be great to be able to do this kind of list (as effectively) with Scyks.

(not trying to derail, just a genuine lament to this being how I think they should also operate)

- - -

Since starting to collect (read as 'horde') XWMG, I've made decisions around how many ships of each type I'd want. With the TAP being a prototype, I see it as extremely rare in battle as not many are built and it's risky to put into battle if not fully tested. Thus I envisaged only ever getting one (even though it's one of my favourite designs in the Imps). I've got 2 A-Wing prototype paint schemes, but see the Rebels as more desperate and would field whatever they can acquire.

Reading your reports of how this list plays, however, is making me seriously consider buying 4 more!

It would be great to be able to do this kind of list (as effectively) with Scyks.

(not trying to derail, just a genuine lament to this being how I think they should also operate)

- - -

Since starting to collect (read as 'horde') XWMG, I've made decisions around how many ships of each type I'd want. With the TAP being a prototype, I see it as extremely rare in battle as not many are built and it's risky to put into battle if not fully tested. Thus I envisaged only ever getting one (even though it's one of my favourite designs in the Imps). I've got 2 A-Wing prototype paint schemes, but see the Rebels as more desperate and would field whatever they can acquire.

Reading your reports of how this list plays, however, is making me seriously consider buying 4 more!

Watching Rebels, it seems common for inquisitors to cross paths, and it sounds like there are at least a Baker's dozen flying around the galaxy, crossing paths often, so thematically, having five is A-OK. Only one can be "The Inquisitor," but the others are surely Barons. Edited by Arttemis

I played against 4 Barons at my Regionals on the weekend, and it was hard going.  The minute you'd land a bit of damage on one, he'd peel away and run.  Meanwhile, the other three circle around and come in for strafing runs.  Ended up being run in circles.  Managed to kill one and get another down to a single hull before Cracken killed himself on debris (the good old roll a crit and draw double damage on a shieldless Z-95 trick) and robbed me of the action economy I needed to chase the others down.

It helped that my opponent knew exactly how to fly the list and make the most of its strengths.  It was a good game.

Was that the ACT regionals?

I played a 5 TAP list (with prockets, chips and title), and it's a lot of fun indeed. They're really maneuverable and annoying.

Too bad my opponent flew Cornor Jax, denying my prockets and nullifying the title on 2-3 ships each turn because he flew it really well. It's a good counter to the list I think. And I'll probably fly the list again, too.

Carnor doesn't stop you from using Proton Rockets. You only need to have a focus, not spend it to fire.

That's not hot dice, that's the power of a focus token + guidance chips.  The odds of getting 18 or more hits out of 4 5-die procket attackers with guidance chips is ~68.3%.   The odds of getting less than 16 hits is ~5.5%.

me rolling 2 hits on 4 dice is hot rolling for me :-)

Man, I'll tell ya, when we were doing our AI test game, each time I rolled for the AI pilots evade dice, I was netting three evade on average.

When I have to pull the same stunt for my own ships? Yeah, no. 1 evade if I'm lucky.

Oh, and let us not forget those nice three dice/three hit R1 attack rolls from the AI TIE blobs.

Yeah, my buddy gave me a look of disgust more than once during our game. This kind of thing doesn't happen when I'm rolling for myself in a competitive game.

On the plus side, he was really impressed with the HotAC AI, and we're looking forward to playing a proper campaign.

Edited by Deathseed

Argh stop tempting me to buy more I have three TAP's isn't that enough?

One more would set you up for the quad-Baron alpha strike... you know it makes sense...

That said, with three you can run them alongside an /x7 Vessery with Juke and SD, or even a /D Vessery with a Tractor, Predator, and Mk2 engines. I've even done the latter with Outmaneuver to some oddly interesting results.

Edited by NakedDex

gotta admit, despite my (justified) paranoia of green dice, the thought of using the TAPs outside of the inquisitor is really exciting

as is the similarity between the TAPs and the super sexy; super fun A-wing

only problem is I'd want to dial up to barons to introduce more late game (personal preference, not suggesting more late game is necessarily worth losing a procket or a ship for) but then the Baron's yet unexplained 3 point mark-up rears it's ugly head

Inquisitor (ptl, tie/v1, thrusters) [31]

Baron (prockets, crackshot, chips) [23]

[100]

if the barons were 18 base like they should have been, they'd all have crackshots AND v1s :(

opting for crackshot over Tie/v1 because...fickle green dice, and because Tie/v1's more for the late game once the prockets have been spent and we already have the inquisitor for that. Without the title, the barons can instead focus on...focusing and rolling/boosting for blocks

still no reason why they couldn't have been 18 base. I don't see how they'd be overpowered at 19 because they could evade off of TLs <_<

Edited by ficklegreendice

I've been meaning to give this a go for a while:

40 Whisper w/ VI, FCS, Intel, ACD.

60 (3x) Sienar w/ PRockets, Chips, V1.

0 Initiative.

Intel helps decloak and blocks from the TAPs.

I've been having fun with a 5 ship list of:

Inquisitor with title, auto thrusters & adaptability

3x seinar test pilot with title & auto thrusters

&Wampa..

The three test pilots have been ignored mostly by my opponents, only to take most of their list off the table

Plus free evade token & auto thrusters mean they tend to survive far more than they should.

Did just pick up a 5th TAP this week, so looking forward to running 5 test pilots w title and prockects on Monday night..

gotta admit, despite my (justified) paranoia of green dice, the thought of using the TAPs outside of the inquisitor is really exciting

as is the similarity between the TAPs and the super sexy; super fun A-wing

only problem is I'd want to dial up to barons to introduce more late game (personal preference, not suggesting more late game is necessarily worth losing a procket or a ship for) but then the Baron's yet unexplained 3 point mark-up rears it's ugly head

Inquisitor (ptl, tie/v1, thrusters) [31]

[100]

if the barons were 18 base like they should have been, they'd all have crackshots AND v1s :(

opting for crackshot over Tie/v1 because...fickle green dice, and because Tie/v1's more for the late game once the prockets have been spent and we already have the inquisitor for that. Without the title, the barons can instead focus on...focusing and rolling/boosting for blocks

still no reason why they couldn't have been 18 base. I don't see how they'd be overpowered at 19 because they could evade off of TLs <_<

I wish the title included a discount on a missile, but forced you to take one. A 2 point discount to a minimum of 0. That way, you could still take your cheap V1 title with a free Thread Tracers, or a 1 point Prockets upgrade. Although why would you not take a 3 point Homing Missile if that was the case...

OP's post inspired me to try TAPs for the first time.  Looking for a couple noobie tips because I got tabled by a vess/deci and a miranda/rey back to back with it.  Didn't come out feeling good about the list and had a couple disappointing games, but it was a ton of fun to fly.  I used the 5 Sienar with title, procket, chips.

Both games pretty much went the same.  I bunch up to maximize cluster fire and roll in slow.  Focus while my opponent moves into R3.  Long range pot shots earn nothing from my 2 attack ships, but the enemy ace and crewed large ship (gunner/luke/ruthlessness/etc.) strip a shield or two in return.  Feeling alright, that seems about expected for an approach.

Turn 2 sees them close enough to pounce.  Both games I get a block on the large ship, followed by 2 Sienars moving into R1.  One of these is the one that took a shield or 2 so he's been chipped at.  The other 2 are sitting at R2 with a TL on the large ship.  That round I watched him use fully modded range 1 dice from the large ship to burn down the healthy TAP.  The enemy ace follows up with a modded attack (or tlt in miranda's case) to wipe the already damaged ace.  I've got no shots with prockets at this point.  Return fire left me feeling lucky to strip a shield or 2 from the deci/falcon.  Next turn rinse and repeat for a near clean sweep.  Both games had slightly different mechanics, but the same result from my opponent.

These things are so satisfying to zip around in!  But what do you do to get prockets off without evaporating?  I feel lucky to get 2 ships in the range 1 arc (that region gets crowded quickly) and that is not where you want a fragile PS2 to hang out.  You can't pounce any sooner than turn 2, and a slower approach sees even more chipping and less health when it comes to slugging it out.  I get the staying power if you engage at range, but I don't get how it's feasible to deal damage in return from 2 attacks vs 3-4 defense.  I also don't get how to close that gap without getting one-shotted in return, even behind 3 greens.  How are yall flying this?