Sign in to follow this  
LifeGain

Longevity of X-Wing

I'm a 45 year old suburban guy and I have a lot of my neighbors that would never try a mini game.  I've gotten a number of them to try the game out.  Oh, they might not have all stuck with it, but they tried it and had fun.  I even found a house wife that is a Star Wars nut that would probably love to get into the game, but she's more of a friend of a friend that I haven't bumped into again.  

"Hi, do you want to come and see my X-Wing"? May not have been the best way to introduce her to the game  :P

Cheers

Baaa

I'm a 45 year old suburban guy and I have a lot of my neighbors that would never try a mini game.  I've gotten a number of them to try the game out.  Oh, they might not have all stuck with it, but they tried it and had fun.  I even found a house wife that is a Star Wars nut that would probably love to get into the game, but she's more of a friend of a friend that I haven't bumped into again.  

"Hi, do you want to come and see my X-Wing"? May not have been the best way to introduce her to the game  :P

Cheers

Baaa

Ha!  No.  We bought some furniture from them and my wife sent me to go collect.  I'd seen her around and we have all the same friends in the neighborhood/school.  I was chatting with her husband while she did something and saw they had a framed poster from the original Star Wars in their office.   We talked about Star Wars, but the husband said his wife was a nut about it.  When she came in and heard us talking about Star Wars, she jumped in all excited.  I mentioned that I played a game with little Tie Fighters and X-wings and she said she would probably love to play.  The husband has a kegorator in the garage, too!   I just never got another chance to set it up.

Cheers

Baaa

This is an amazing quote.

Cheers

Baaa

Ha!  No.  We bought some furniture from them and my wife sent me to go collect.  I'd seen her around and we have all the same friends in the neighborhood/school.  I was chatting with her husband while she did something and saw they had a framed poster from the original Star Wars in their office.   We talked about Star Wars, but the husband said his wife was a nut about it.  When she came in and heard us talking about Star Wars, she jumped in all excited.  I mentioned that I played a game with little Tie Fighters and X-wings and she said she would probably love to play.  The husband has a kegorator in the garage, too!   I just never got another chance to set it up.

That's a jealousy thing going on there methinks.

Cheers

Baaa

Cheers

Baaa

This is an amazing quote.

I've been sigged!!!  :D

Cheers

Baaa

honestly long as rebels is popular i imagine xwing will live on. Both because Rebels will incite people to play and feed new ships to play with. As it is we got what 4-5 that pretty much we only see in rebels?

Even if FFG discontinues xwing (which i doubt would happen for at LEAST 5 more years minimum) people will still play because its easily one of the best starwars games if not the best. Be harder to get the minis at that point but no true starwars fan is going to part with their pretty shelf decorations at that point lol. Hell, some of my friends i got into the game the deciding factor was they could get a cool and affordable falcon to put on the shelf that also doubles as a play piece lol

Edited by Vineheart01

This game probably has 3 to 5 more years of active releases left at least, followed by probably another 5 or 10 years of people playing it casually and inventing house rules, campaigns, etc. even after FFG stops making the product.

This is probably about right. 3 to 5 years. 

I'm still enjoying the game and have EVERYTHING in multiples.  I'm not sure I will go to the very end.... but its still fun so I still collect everything.  After I stop or FFG does then my friends, family and I can enjoy the game for years with my large collection.

Im really hoping they release a campaign series for casual players like they just did for Star Wars Armada.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2016/7/22/the-corellian-conflict/

swm25_main.png

Edited by Tokyogriz

Well even an unbalanced mess can still work 20ish years after its inception. We still have occasional Battletech games. X-Wing is a great little game that I can see playing for many years. Now if they stop producing or bloat the cost like GW has then I will also find a new shiny, I'm a collector first I can't help it, I need something to buy!

while I do agree that there is a LOT of complexity even in "simple" 100 point deathmatches, more than enough to keep me coming back time and again,

I've also played Warmachine, and objectives combined with caster assassination (think of the king in chess; lose it and you lose the game) just make the game something many MANY times greater than the sum of its parts

x-wing has room to expand beyond just adding ships that'll keep the gameplay from growing stale, if/when it eventually does

As a newbie to the wonderful game of X-Wing, I am loving the tactical aspect to the game and having to be able to read your opponent (I also love pulling off a great block or two :)

​I am just wondering how does this game look long-term? Sure, there are a plethora of ships to bring into the game, but I am curious as to how FFG is going to continue bringing out new

waves at the rate they do without drawing from prequels or other material that will draw some flak from others (looking at you Yuuzhan Vong.) I want to go full force into this brilliant game,

but if it is just going to die out in five or so years from lack of ships, then I don't really want to put hundreds upon hundreds of dollars into it.

Too many new ships too fast (which happened for me between wave 6 and 8, so I quit playing).  Rules eating rules eating rules.  Followed by a re-release that tries to fix everything without re-releasing any cards, followed by a slow abandonment of casual players, leaving the game resembling a game with primarily card mechanics, and a little movement and dice thrown in to make it look less ike Magic the Gathering than it really is.

while I do agree that there is a LOT of complexity even in "simple" 100 point deathmatches, more than enough to keep me coming back time and again,

I've also played Warmachine, and objectives combined with caster assassination (think of the king in chess; lose it and you lose the game) just make the game something many MANY times greater than the sum of its parts

x-wing has room to expand beyond just adding ships that'll keep the gameplay from growing stale, if/when it eventually does

Until you face an Everbllight Assassination list - unobstructed medium range deadly shots to auto kill your warlock. Sole reason i sold my trolls was because i was sick and tired of that list being everywhere. That and the local population in that game rubbed me the wrong way but i saw the assassination list 80% of the **** time and it was way too easy to get a win with it since you CANNOT defend against it unless your warlord is a total bamf.

Circle bugged me too but atleast they were manageable. That game as a whole irritates me with its insane power curbs from a single rule a faction gets as standard.

Edited by Vineheart01

Cheers

Baaa

Cheers

Baaa

Yeah, I don't blame you for the mutual excitement of playing a hobby game with a new person, but it would weird me out if a dude wanted to spend time with my wife playing a board game. 

Cheers

Baaa

Cheers

Baaa

Yeah, I don't blame you for the mutual excitement of playing a hobby game with a new person, but it would weird me out if a dude wanted to spend time with my wife playing a board game. 

The idea was to judge for the guy and his wife to play.  That way it's not creepy....and he would let me drink from his home keg, too!