Sign in to follow this  
LifeGain

Longevity of X-Wing

X-wing could hit design threshold in 3-5 years... maybe, then just keep printing stuff as needed to keep up with demand.  Done right I see no reason X-wing could not survive as long as 40K has.

They need to release some sort of mission/campaign with official support. Armada has the new expansion that is going that route. Deathmatch is only fun for so long but it has very little meat to it for me. Sadly it's just like FPS video games. The majority of people are happy with endless mindless deathmatch and ignore and other aspect of gaming. The missions are a fun diversion some times but they are not deep enough. The popularity of HotAC show that this is something that many people want.

They need to release some sort of mission/campaign with official support. Armada has the new expansion that is going that route. Deathmatch is only fun for so long but it has very little meat to it for me. Sadly it's just like FPS video games. The majority of people are happy with endless mindless deathmatch and ignore and other aspect of gaming. The missions are a fun diversion some times but they are not deep enough. The popularity of HotAC show that this is something that many people want.

I think an official mission/campaign system with an official AI app would be great. I also believe if they showed mission control a little love the community would create even more brilliant stuff worth playing.

This game probably has 3 to 5 more years of active releases left at least, followed by probably another 5 or 10 years of people playing it casually and inventing house rules, campaigns, etc. even after FFG stops making the product.

As long as Disney produces movies (which will never stop happening) and the various spin off cartoons then FFG will never be short of material.

The only thing that will stop the train is if it becomes unprofitable.

X-Wing Miniatures Game and new releases will be around as long as FFG can hold onto their licence for using the Star Wars IP.

The game itself will be around as long as it has a fanbase.

Cheers

Baaa

I think it may also depend on your area, even though we haveva local store here and 30+ members in a local facebook group only 2 of us play regularly and the last store tournament was a year ago and fell apart cause only 4 of us signed up. Our community is all Magic and warhammer and refuse to play anything else it suchs!

MTG I get but warhammer pisses me off for that very reason. It requires such a time and money investment, and thats before you play a single game, that they are like the gang lords of the nerd kingdom and they are very territorial. I have a special hate for warhammer though so take it with a grain of salt but I quit going to stores and spending any money in some because they were WH dominant. You go in and they are like, "you miniature game? What game? Insert anything not warhammer, oh thats cute" and they go back to talking to other warhammer nerds. Some are great guys outside gaming but screw that kind of obsession.

It always gives me a special kind of joy when I hear people hating on Warhammer.

I think it may also depend on your area, even though we haveva local store here and 30+ members in a local facebook group only 2 of us play regularly and the last store tournament was a year ago and fell apart cause only 4 of us signed up. Our community is all Magic and warhammer and refuse to play anything else it suchs!

MTG I get but warhammer pisses me off for that very reason. It requires such a time and money investment, and thats before you play a single game, that they are like the gang lords of the nerd kingdom and they are very territorial. I have a special hate for warhammer though so take it with a grain of salt but I quit going to stores and spending any money in some because they were WH dominant. You go in and they are like, "you miniature game? What game? Insert anything not warhammer, oh thats cute" and they go back to talking to other warhammer nerds. Some are great guys outside gaming but screw that kind of obsession.

It always gives me a special kind of joy when I hear people hating on Warhammer.

I especially enjoyed his emphatic take on the nerd hierarchy. I wasn't aware that Star Wars nerds were above Warhammer nerds.

Warhammer miniatures and it's lore are some of the best out there.. People have a love / hate relationship with it because it has 4 or of 5 thing's going for it.. the hate part comes from the crappie rules and their I don't give a shot about the rules approach. I hear that may be changing now that X-Wings has kicked them out of top miniature game .

The deal with X-wing is there is never a shortage of ships and if they get lost for ideas they are just going to go to Disney and get new ones like the Raider.

Think of this also the T-70 just came out because its the new version of the T-65, with us knowing that a the A-wing is going to be in Ep 8 we will most likely have a new one of those just like a new Falcon is coming out. If the movies keep having versions of older ships we will have a ton of things to look forward to long before we run out, that's not even saying if FFG did a Version 2 with new ship stats and pilots, removing things like having 5000000 stress tokens and such.

X-wing will be long for a long time, and if you get board with the game the Models look amazing on shelves.

Think also with Ep 8,9, Rebels, Han Solo, Fett, Rogue 1 coming, Exploring Ep 1,2,3,4,5,6 Comics and Stories, X-wing has a ton to pull from.

Side Note Armada is bring out a new camp box with objectives and ships, it gives me hope that FFG could buy out HOTAC and publish that as a way to bring something new to the game. With special ships that match that (again more ships)

Edit - also FFG is going to bring out more EPIC ships with alt paint jobs which is more stuff that can do. everyone wants a scum Aces box for each ship, that's not even to say that we want fixes for T-65, E-wing, HWK, (primary atk value) The Rebel Y-wing. The Imps could use some help with the Punisher, and Slave 1, its not outside of reason to see more Vets boxes. 

Edited by Cubanboy

Also right now to own 1 of everything for X-wing its close to 1,000k. To own one of everything for Tau to build out every option for an army is 7k with forge world stuff.

The main strengths X-wing has over something like 40k is the rule book is maybe 10 pages and it cost 40 retail to get into playing X-wing, the ships are painted, put together,(and you can repaint them if you want) and the game is fun to play and the community is alright as a whole also. These alone are going to make X-wing stay around for a long time.

The one strike against its sticking power is its ops and the typical 1v1 death match.

Quite the contrary.

1v1 death match is the best assurance that game won't be schematic because your game objective is directly shaped by actions of your opponent.

In scenarios sooner than later players will figure out optimal moves - also deathmatch is a lot more easier to grasp for spectator and much more tense.

Look at Battlelore 2 ed. or Descent 2 ed. - those games would be much better if they were based on direct confrontation between players and destroying each other - instead of lame scenarios and objective based games.

look at star trek attack wing. Inferior game mechanics for large ships. But the scenarios make it fun ND becouse the scenarios are always changing there is no typical standard build.

What about old , strong , competitive Builds which can/ will be played as  long as x-wing exists ? Swarm for example  . Fel and other's. 

This game will be played for ages.

Disney's already presented a ship giving teet in the firm of the REBELS TV show and the ungodly amount of new movies (including spin-offs like rogue one) scheduled for an absurd number of years onwards

Honestly, we could be long gone before X-Wing is

We don't even have the TIE Avenger or Assault Gunboat yet.

Paragomba? You dont have your TIE Avenger yet? Thats Odd, I have mine. Perhaps yours is in the mail, or even worse, on the boat. Ill keep my fingers crossed for you.

E6BC3730-CCB1-4C7C-9901-86E1351E2C10_zps

As others have mentioned, X-wing 2.0 will have to happen at some point. I for one hope it will be an 'open beta' format like some video games have now. The entire X-wing community becomes the playtesters. Maybe have a 2 year 'beta' period where everything is shaped by real world playtesting.

This game probably has 3 to 5 more years of active releases left at least, followed by probably another 5 or 10 years of people playing it casually and inventing house rules, campaigns, etc. even after FFG stops making the product.

i agree.

card only releases might prolong the game but the mainstay players will demand more ships. For me the game is actually close to terminal velocity now. The rebel alliances set signals the game has now gone full circle and imo is trying to hook in a core group of new fans.

X-Wing deathmatch is anything but mindless - to win consistently in this game you need knowledge, skill and working strategy. If you think otherwise it means you know nothing about this game.

And people can ignore whatever aspects of gaming they like as long as they have fun.

Even if they stop coming out with new ships (and there are a lot of ships to go through) then they can focus on other aspects of the game, like missions and campaigns.  I don't think you need the tournament scene around for people to want to play the game.  

Part of what makes the game good....is Star Wars.  There are a lot of people that would try a Star Wars game that wouldn't ever really try any other game.   So, the ability to draw people in for the next 30 years is still going to be there, even if the local scene dries up a bit.  

X-Wing deathmatch is anything but mindless - to win consistently in this game you need knowledge, skill and working strategy. If you think otherwise it means you know nothing about this game.

And people can ignore whatever aspects of gaming they like as long as they have fun.

After a lot of thinking about what bored me about death match is the repetition.  There are only 25% of the ships/upgrades/pilots that are worth playing competitively in the game?  You just end up playing the same lists again and again and again.  The meta shifts, but then you just play a different set of the same few lists again and again.  It's the repetition that got me sick of tournament play.  

I've found I like other styles of the same game better.  Then again, it took me a 3-4 years of playing X-wing to get to this point.  

Part of what makes the game good....is Star Wars.  There are a lot of people that would try a Star Wars game that wouldn't ever really try any other game.   So, the ability to draw people in for the next 30 years is still going to be there, even if the local scene dries up a bit.  

This was me.  I had always considered "board games" aptly named because they were boring.  Then my family went into a game store just to visit one of my wife's family members at work and he was being shown how to play X-Wing since the store had the demo stuff out due to the release of TFA core set and he hadn't played it before.  Watching the demo teaching bit was a little intriguing but what made me want to know more about it was the ships hanging on the wall.  The models were all so well done it at first brought me back to my days of playing the old X-Wing and Tie Fighter flight simulators on my computer, especially the Tie Defender.  If it hadn't been a Star Wars game I never would have cared to even pay attention to the demo much less look at the rest of the ships.

I'm a 45 year old suburban guy and I have a lot of my neighbors that would never try a mini game.  I've gotten a number of them to try the game out.  Oh, they might not have all stuck with it, but they tried it and had fun.  I even found a house wife that is a Star Wars nut that would probably love to get into the game, but she's more of a friend of a friend that I haven't bumped into again.