Sign in to follow this  
LifeGain

Longevity of X-Wing

As a newbie to the wonderful game of X-Wing, I am loving the tactical aspect to the game and having to be able to read your opponent (I also love pulling off a great block or two :)
​I am just wondering how does this game look long-term? Sure, there are a plethora of ships to bring into the game, but I am curious as to how FFG is going to continue bringing out new

waves at the rate they do without drawing from prequels or other material that will draw some flak from others (looking at you Yuuzhan Vong.) I want to go full force into this brilliant game,

but if it is just going to die out in five or so years from lack of ships, then I don't really want to put hundreds upon hundreds of dollars into it.

I don't see how the game could die out anytime soon even if they stopped releasing ships now. I have a whole faction I haven't even flown yet (scum). I regularly put together new squads that I would love to fly, but there just aren't enough hours in the day. Maybe someone with more experience can give you a more accurate answer, but personally I think there is nothing to worry about; I know I'll be playing this for a long time regardless of whether they keep making ships or not.

I don't see how the game could die out anytime soon even if they stopped releasing ships now. I have a whole faction I haven't even flown yet (scum). I regularly put together new squads that I would love to fly, but there just aren't enough hours in the day. Maybe someone with more experience can give you a more accurate answer, but personally I think there is nothing to worry about; I know I'll be playing this for a long time regardless of whether they keep making ships or not.

It's exactly this for me - I barely get enough time to play as it is, even if the ships suddenly stopped now I could probably keep going for another 5 years before I grew bored. X-Wing is basically my favourite tabletop game at the moment.

I think it may also depend on your area, even though we haveva local store here and 30+ members in a local facebook group only 2 of us play regularly and the last store tournament was a year ago and fell apart cause only 4 of us signed up. Our community is all Magic and warhammer and refuse to play anything else it suchs!

I think it may also depend on your area, even though we haveva local store here and 30+ members in a local facebook group only 2 of us play regularly and the last store tournament was a year ago and fell apart cause only 4 of us signed up. Our community is all Magic and warhammer and refuse to play anything else it suchs!

MTG I get but warhammer pisses me off for that very reason. It requires such a time and money investment, and thats before you play a single game, that they are like the gang lords of the nerd kingdom and they are very territorial. I have a special hate for warhammer though so take it with a grain of salt but I quit going to stores and spending any money in some because they were WH dominant. You go in and they are like, "you miniature game? What game? Insert anything not warhammer, oh thats cute" and they go back to talking to other warhammer nerds. Some are great guys outside gaming but screw that kind of obsession.

It's exactly this for me - I barely get enough time to play as it is, even if the ships suddenly stopped now I could probably keep going for another 5 years before I grew bored. X-Wing is basically my favourite tabletop game at the moment.

X-Wing is my ONLY tabletop game at the moment.  It's just too much fun!

This game probably has 3 to 5 more years of active releases left at least, followed by probably another 5 or 10 years of people playing it casually and inventing house rules, campaigns, etc. even after FFG stops making the product.

Then they'll probably let it simmer for a bit and THEN reboot/rerelease it with an overhaul of the mechanics.

X-Wing 2.0 will release when the 4th trilogy, the Old Republic trilogy, is announced in 2025. Plus a $50 complete conversion kit, so you can use all your old models.

Edited by SgtSmithy

Ultimately the success of X-Wing in the long term will have more to do with its ability to attract new customers than its ability to expand the model range indefinitely. If anything, at a certain point, having too large of a model range will be detrimental because it will drive up the cost of entry into the game.

I think this is still a little ways off, but at a certain point, the game will shift to focus on selling to new players, rather than selling more stuff to existing players. Worrying about FFG "running out of new waves" isn't that big of a deal. X-Wing is a young product, when you think about something like 40K that is coming up on its 30th anniversary next year. Whereas 40K is stuck at a point in its life cycle where the second hand market is dramatically hurting sales, X-Wing isn't yet.

Disney's already presented a ship giving teet in the firm of the REBELS TV show and the ungodly amount of new movies (including spin-offs like rogue one) scheduled for an absurd number of years onwards

Honestly, we could be long gone before X-Wing is

We don't even have the TIE Avenger or Assault Gunboat yet.

Warhammer Fantasy has been around since 83. 40k has been around since 87.

IMO, X-Wing has a much better outlook than Warhammer has ever had in its entire lifespan.

X-Wing has got a lot of things going for it that Warhammer never did, and still doesn't have going for it.

-Very low entry price point (compared to other competitive tabletop war games)

- Very easy system and smaller time commitment per game than other tabletops.

- A recognizable, unique,  and beloved backstory

-Pre painted, high quality miniatures

x-wing is not going anywhere any time soon.

Disney didnt spend $3 billion for nothing. They want ROI for the star wars property and are gonna be releasing lots of shows, movies, comics, books, etc. Plenty of resources for FFG to pull from for quite some time.

STAR WARS will be around for the rest of our lives... we will not have to live without our STAR WARS again; like we did in the late 80's & 90's.

^_^

I'll agree with those who've said that even if they run out of models or simply stop designing new ships, the game will be able to survive and remain active with continued reprints. FFG hasn't released an expansion for Arkham Horror for years. They've continued new products for related titles, like Mansions of Madness and Eldritch Horror, but Arkham itself has seen nothing new. Nevertheless, FFG continues to issue reprints in the Arkham line, indicating that it continues to sell.

I expect they will keep making waves for as long as they have the license. I also expect a 2nd edition at some point as there is a LOT of bloat building in the game as well as some things I am sure they want to fix from the ground up.

I think the 2nd edition is key. Don't under estimate the value of stable, detailed, and well understood rule set, empathis on stable to build the tourney structure around. I come from the wargaming side of things. Advanced Squad Leader, aka the second edition of Squad Leader is still going strong after 30 years. No where near as big as X wing, but you can still hit an ASL tourney just about every weekend of the year if you travel the USA and world. This weekend I am hitting the St Louis ASL tourney, as Manila is not quite as convenient.

This game probably has 3 to 5 more years of active releases left at least, followed by probably another 5 or 10 years of people playing it casually and inventing house rules, campaigns, etc. even after FFG stops making the product.

Then they'll probably let it simmer for a bit and THEN reboot/rerelease it with an overhaul of the mechanics.

X-Wing 2.0 will release when the 4th trilogy, the Old Republic trilogy, is announced in 2025. Plus a $50 complete conversion kit, so you can use all your old models.

Honestly I'd be thrilled to see X-wing 2.0 at only a $50 conversion kit to not make my ships obsolete. Compared to what I've already spent $50 more is nothing. 

Even if FFG stopped releasing new ships tomorrow, that doesn't mean that they had to stop releasing content for it.

If you think on it, X-Wing is, in general, quite artificially limited to 100 point, 6 asteroids deathmatches. The game potential begs for escaping from those constraints.

Surely you can do lots more than 100p deathmatch with the components you get with the product. As an example, look at the Heroes of the Aturi Cluster fan campaign. Some people have tried it out and never looked back at the deathmatch format. That changes the game from the ground up and it involves absolutely no new ship models (in fact, it doesn't use around 40% of the models currently available).

They can expand the game without adding new ships. The ships are one component of the game, but there are many others. Upgrades, scenarios, obstacles, the ruleset, ...

They could add stuff like commander cards, objectives, campaign play, multiplayer (more than 2), different battlefields (atmospheric, Death Star surface, urban, ground units) other than "deep space with 6 asteroids". All of that without having to add more ships.

The one strike against its sticking power is its ops and the typical 1v1 death match.

Quite the contrary.

1v1 death match is the best assurance that game won't be schematic because your game objective is directly shaped by actions of your opponent.

In scenarios sooner than later players will figure out optimal moves - also deathmatch is a lot more easier to grasp for spectator and much more tense.

Look at Battlelore 2 ed. or Descent 2 ed. - those games would be much better if they were based on direct confrontation between players and destroying each other - instead of lame scenarios and objective based games.