Sign in to follow this  
Nghtflame7

Azure Flame and Lloigar

One of the regulars here keeps posting about his love of th eAzure Flame. I don't have KiY, so I looked it up on the wiki and saw that it is a magical EFFECT which boosts your combat. That led me to wonder: Is Azure Flame a way to get around the weapons immunity of a Lloigar, since it is an effect, not a weapon? I guess I really need to get some of the small boxes. lengua.gif

Magical effects are not weapons. Neither are spells, for that matter. So Shrivelling would work just fine on a Lloigor.

On a related note, in yesterday's game someone went to the Train Station to find that the conductor was spooked because the train hit something, and it was still alive afterwards... You guessed it: it was a Lloigor. I guess trains count as weapons.

So in refference to the shotgun subject Dam made, with a shotgun, you disregard the physical immunity.  Is it only the sixes that do this, or the entire item itself?  Why does it get past physical immunity if that is the case.  I totally believe you I just want to know how it does it so I can back that up when playing the game with my friends and family.  Thanks for the new input here.

I should have just included this...what are the Lloigor stats and whatnot, what makes it stick out from other creatures with various immunities?  What items and or spells does everyone know that can get around these abilities?  I am not understanding how Shriveling would be able to get around magical/physical immunity/resistance.  Thanks again for your time.

Here are the answers to all your questions:

• Physical/Magical Resistance/Immunity only affects the weapon or spell's combat bonus. Anything else the card does is unaffected. Against a monster with physical immunity, a shotgun provides +0 to combat checks. However its ability that rolled 6s count as two successes still stands.
  • Two different writers used the name Lloigor to refer to two different species. Based on the picture below, I suspect this is Colin Wilson's version (Wikipedia: The Lloigor take the form of invisible vortices of psychic energy, though they may sometimes make themselves manifest as great reptilian beasts, akin to the legendary dragons). If this were the other kind, it would be a Great Old One, Twin Obscenity of Zhar. Especially considering Zhar is currently the most difficult Ancient One in Arkham Horror (AH stats report), this monster would be a gross misrepresentation of its power.
  • Lloigor, in Arkham Horror, is the only monster to have the Weapon Immunity ability. That abilities says that physical and magical weapons give a combat rating of 0, but spells are unaffected. So a Rifle or an Enchanted Knife won't do anything, but a Shrivelling will. The shotgun won't add to your dice pool, but rolling a 6 will still kill the Lloigor.

Here is a Lloigor:

Lloigor.pngLloigorBack.png

Lloigor is from the Innsmouth expansion. If you don't have that, this isn't going to be an issue in your game.

Thank you Tibs, that is awesome, great research, great information and great visuals.  Thanks a million :)  It is all so much clearer to me.  Yeah the IH, KiY, BGotW, and DP are the others I still need to get, but IH is definetly the one I am getting next, hopefully christmas :)

adeangel said:

Thank you Tibs, that is awesome, great research, great information and great visuals.  Thanks a million :)  It is all so much clearer to me.  Yeah the IH, KiY, BGotW, and DP are the others I still need to get, but IH is definetly the one I am getting next, hopefully christmas :)

No problem. But that means that the two expansions you currently have are Kingsport and Dark Pharaoh, which are generally regarded as the worst big and small expansion. I love them to death and think you made a great decision, but I have to know: what motivated you to get those two expansions first (as opposed to the vastly more popular Dunwich and King in Yellow)?

Incase I missinformed the ones I got are the dunwich horror, the kingsport horror and of course the orginial.  They were given to me as gifts from my wife so I didnt get that choice per say but nevertheless I enjoy the biggeer sets mainly because of the expansion and I get more GOO and Investigators.  But Innsmouth Horror is something I been planning on getting, its there at the hobby shop waiting for me...I just need da money :) 

Dam said:

I thought DP was Dark Pharaoh and DH was Dunwich, so he has KH and DH.

Yep, I usually read Dark Pharaoh as the full CotDP. It was 3:30am here when I read it :-D

DH and KH together are a wild freaking time. I prefer to play with all three boards, and watch their threats each build up.

I beg to differ. Just finished a rotation of using both DH and KH (all three boards) and enjoyed it immensely.  Coming up soon will be DH and IH: now that will be a challenge.   I'll likely draw the line at using just three boards since my table won't handle all four (and the apartment lacks necessary space on the floor so I can't use Dam's solution). gran_risa.gif

ricedwlit said:

I'll likely draw the line at using just three boards since my table won't handle all four (and the apartment lacks necessary space on the floor so I can't use Dam's solution). gran_risa.gif

Lacking floor-space??? GTFO gran_risa.gif ?

Oh, and if you're talking about what I think you're talking about (arrangement of the boards), it's not a "Dam Original", I just came across it on BGG and took it to heart.

adeangel said:

All three boards, that would be sick.

It made for a bizarrely short game when we tried this past Tuesday. Monsters kept surging out of a gate at Devil Reef and dropping right into the vortex. With eight people at the table, pulling in different directions, we didn't have our heads on straight enough to get someone up there to start filling the clue track. We went to final battle after about an hour of play.

Dam said:

ricedwlit said:

I'll likely draw the line at using just three boards since my table won't handle all four (and the apartment lacks necessary space on the floor so I can't use Dam's solution

Lacking floor-space??? GTFO gran_risa.gif ?

The apartment is cramped due to holding stuff from our prior house - although I could try to use the kitchen floor....

Back to the Shotgun.  I read in an FAQ that for the bullwhip it does not have to be in your hand to use its secondary ability.  So in the case with the shotgun, would you not need to have that in your hands as well?  Say I was fighting a creature with physical immunity and I had two shrivellings that I was going to cast at a creature and my fight is 4.  So 6+6+4=16 dice and if there were no modifiers does that mean that if any of those 16 dice rolled a 6, the shotgun ability would still apply here?  That would be sick...I dig it.

adeangel said:

Back to the Shotgun.  I read in an FAQ that for the bullwhip it does not have to be in your hand to use its secondary ability.  So in the case with the shotgun, would you not need to have that in your hands as well?  Say I was fighting a creature with physical immunity and I had two shrivellings that I was going to cast at a creature and my fight is 4.  So 6+6+4=16 dice and if there were no modifiers does that mean that if any of those 16 dice rolled a 6, the shotgun ability would still apply here?  That would be sick...I dig it.

Cross and Bullwhip each have ancillary abilities that are not related to making the initial Combat check and do not need to be equipped. Of course, you have to equip them to get the +3 (against undead) or +1 respectively, but to re-roll a failed combat die or get +1 to a horror check they do not need to be equipped. I also suspect that the Ritual Blade from the Black Goat expansion follows this format (+1 to Spell Checks).

The Shotgun and the Azure Flame both grant doubles on a 6 when you make a combat check with it. If you're not attacking with the shotgun, you can't get its double-6 bonus.

I can't believe no one chimed in on this, but...

>ahem<

Many of us ignore the Shotgun's/Azure Flame's secondary characteristic (6s as two successes) against creatures that are immune to its damage bonuses, because it's ridiculous.  I used to not care myself, before the Lloigor, but once there was such a thing as WEAPON Immunity, I could no longer reconcile a single manmade weapon getting any bonus AT ALL against a creature that can shrug off a Tommy Gun, a .357, a Fetch Stick, and a Braizer of Souls.  It was one thing when it was just a boom stick against a Ghost or a Hound, but even the thought of picking up a shotgun against what makes the Lloigor so special makes me ill, and I won't do it anymore.