Sign in to follow this  
Otakuon

A Bit Mixed On This...

People who use emulators are a tiny minority of video gamers.

Most people see that only 100 Xbox 360 games work and wonder how many of their current apps/games will work on the next generation.

It is a barrier to some people and a valid concern.

I fully expect a non-app variant to appear on BGG after a while.

Bottom line: People who are interested will be able to play XCom the boardgame or MoM2 in the next 50 years without a problem.

Just like I play Close Assault the hybrid Avalon Hill boardgame of 1982 ... today...

If typing one search line on Google is too much for those who bought that game in 1982 with a ... tape for an Atari 800 that was no longer available in ... 1986, than that person completely ignored the last 30 years of technical evolution.

... /... end of discussion really.

Well I've stated this point and it's being waxed over or unread, so I'll restate it quickly. Not the main point but bears repeating. Many pieces are software *are still unsupported*. No matter how many hard drives you fill with working emulators and roms, there are still some things that just won't run. Is that the way IOS and steam are likely to go, not really. Is having a working emu/rom of the app a sure thing? No. Is it easy for the average boardgame player? No. Is it a valid concern to voice then? I think it is.

You people seem to fixate too much on few (and rarely relevant) downsides the app brigns while ignroing all the awesome upsides. 

This is the place for ff specific hopes, concerns, needs, worries, etc. isn't it? Positive posts and points are also made. If someone *only* has something positive to say, there's little reason to do it here, we can talk to our gaming group and other friends about it.

And how any of this has anything to do with what I wrote?

How does it not? It specifically address both points you made. You say people fixate too much on few and irrelevant downsides and ignore the upsides. I disagree with people "ignoring the awesome upsides" because they are talked about (specifically in comparison with the Descent app). Just because they aren't mentioning the "awesome upsides" as much as the possible issues, doesn't mean that aren't talking about them completely. I also explained why I think customers coming to the maker's forums to address worries is a logical thing to do. I'm not understanding why you think my response was unrelated, but I hope this clears that up. 

Well I've stated this point and it's being waxed over or unread, so I'll restate it quickly. Not the main point but bears repeating. Many pieces are software *are still unsupported*. No matter how many hard drives you fill with working emulators and roms, there are still some things that just won't run. Is that the way IOS and steam are likely to go, not really. Is having a working emu/rom of the app a sure thing? No. Is it easy for the average boardgame player? No. Is it a valid concern to voice then? I think it is.

I wish people that have NO clue about software compatibilty stop spreading complete and utter NONSENSE.

EVERY commercial game on the Commodore's, Atari's, Apple2's, PC's and dozens of other 30 year old OS WORK these days on emulators. That includes 35+ year old boardgames that had assisted software back in 1981.

It is enough to type in a title in Google to find the appropriate emulator for these exotic machines and OS.

The JOKE is that the MoM2 software is on 4 different OS of which one is the universal Win platform, while I made examples of the 20 year long defunct Avalon Hill with games of 1981 that ran on .... cassette tape .... and YOU CAN FIND THE SOFTWARE for present day computers to run it .... in 10 seconds on the internet.

Stop these ridiculous FALSE claims that software will be obsolete please.

Just to add, the Android emulators at the moment are also several levels of class above the various other emulators for whatever systems. The reason being that Android apps are coded on computers and Android software developers often use Android emulators on windows desktop to check the running of the game and any glitches etc. So the Android emulators right now are extremely good, and also available for various versions of the OS eg Jellbean etc.

Im posting this as a genuine attempt to say that yes I do accept that the issue is a genuine concern to raise however I think its been quite comprehensively answered and addressed as not a worry. Please dont worry. You can get an Android emulator now and run the Android version on a windows desktop already.

Even though Windows itself changes every few years, there is always backwards compability either within windows itself or through third party windows-emulators. While really old windows software doesnt always work in the current version of windows, theres still always a way to push it through compatability, emulation of fan-made patches that makes it work, always.

Its also of note that older emulators were often fiddly and awkward to get to run properly, however nowadays all the emulators I have and use are very easy for any standard PC user to be fine with.

Im not trying to argue here, Im trying to highlight that this isnt a problem, thats all.

You people seem to fixate too much on few (and rarely relevant) downsides the app brigns while ignroing all the awesome upsides. 

This is the place for ff specific hopes, concerns, needs, worries, etc. isn't it? Positive posts and points are also made. If someone *only* has something positive to say, there's little reason to do it here, we can talk to our gaming group and other friends about it.

And how any of this has anything to do with what I wrote?

How does it not? It specifically address both points you made. You say people fixate too much on few and irrelevant downsides and ignore the upsides. I disagree with people "ignoring the awesome upsides" because they are talked about (specifically in comparison with the Descent app). Just because they aren't mentioning the "awesome upsides" as much as the possible issues, doesn't mean that aren't talking about them completely. I also explained why I think customers coming to the maker's forums to address worries is a logical thing to do. I'm not understanding why you think my response was unrelated, but I hope this clears that up. 

You must have misread my post completely then.

I for one don't usually quibble about the price of a game for number of pieces included - unless it's way off (yeah I'm looking at you, Queen Games' Escape - Curse of the Temple).  What also matters is the quality of the product (filet mignon costs more than a top steak, but the quality makes it preferable for me).  So if the game experience is great then I'm happy to pay more for a game, as the fun-factor is more than just the sum of a game's parts.  Product development and playtesting are just two of the intangibles that you don't hold in your hand, but are "in the box" when you buy a game.

First edition MoM was rife with production errors, had a hugely involved set up time, and sometimes was just plain not fun to play.  Second edition has an app and (it looks like) a good deal of content in the box.  Plus, FF seems to be going out of their way to roll out a second edition in a way that respects those of us who bought first edition.  (Kudos!)

Also, it is worth noting that the box will have more content than we've seen in the pictures so far - FF isn't revealing all the content yet - like all the new plastic monsters (Star Spawn!!!). I'm intrigued and so I have placed my order for a copy today, and look forward to reading the upcoming preview on Monday to see the new investigators and monsters which are going to be included.  

I anticipate this will be a hundred bucks well spent.  For those who only care about the number of pieces in a game box, all I can say is... don't buy this.  

Exactly this. If we are going to talk about value for your money I don't understand how the only thing that is going to be discussed is the amount of things that come in the box. The money we spend on the products doesn't just go into the cardboard and plastic. The company does have staff that they have to pay as well, so when talking about value it would make sense that the focus would be on A) How entertained will I be from this and B) How long will I be entertained for, seeing as to how games are a form of entertainment. I don't know why the expectation is that FFG price this at some number some people think is fair based off of the amount of things they put in the box. I can't say whether I am going to get a lot for my money from this yet because I don't know enough about the game or how much fun I am going to have with it yet. I definitely don't think just because they released a previous game with similar or more content and it was cheaper that this should be also. $100 is pricey for a board game in general, in my opinion, but as I have stated before I can't recall a time where I purchased an FFG game and after opening the box and playing it I was disappointed with what I got for my money. 

My problem with this is

1. The app

2. If it's just a rehashing with an app

So when apps started coming I bought Alchemists. Turns out I'm not a fan.

- If I wanted to play a video game I would.

- it needs to be downloaded and since space is an issue on my ipad I only keep the apps on it that is in weekly use, this would not be, so I would always have to download it before a game.

- It adds an not-included-in-the-box component that is required to play, so I can't leave it at my cabin because if I forget my ipad (that I don't normally bring since there is no internet service) I can't download it on the go on my phone (crappy service out there).

- This will mean less physical expansions, more digital

- We really loved playing as the evil that lurkes, messing with the other players.

I'm not totally anti apo. Descent 2.edt was hard to get to the table. Trying to learn it by playing was a nightmare. Trying to teach it to new players while playing the bad guy was worse. The co-op expansions helped in both regards, and I see how the app is an easier way to distribute such small expansions, but it's not essential to play the game. (Disclaimer, I have dl the descent app, but not tried it).

So far I don't see any reason why this should warrant a purchase from me. I love MoM and it's one of my top 3 most played games. This just seems like the same game, with some tweaks and an app. They probably simplified it too, making it less interesting. But then I like AH over EH....

Hi, I fully agree with you. I was and I am very disappointed to discover the direction MoM2 (and perhaps other titles in the future) has taken. While I have nothing against apps that helps gaming I'm quite negative about games that are an app with props like this one. It's a matter of personal taste of course and I'm not here to deny the entertainment value of the new MoM2 but I feel somewhat relieved to recover my MoM and dont bother about having low battery charge, low connectivity or just some unforseen problem in the OS in the midst of a session, also to me having, or being, a human keepeer is a big plus. All in all I think for me is a farewell, but we'll see.

My problem with this is

1. The app

2. If it's just a rehashing with an app

So when apps started coming I bought Alchemists. Turns out I'm not a fan.

- If I wanted to play a video game I would.

- it needs to be downloaded and since space is an issue on my ipad I only keep the apps on it that is in weekly use, this would not be, so I would always have to download it before a game.

- It adds an not-included-in-the-box component that is required to play, so I can't leave it at my cabin because if I forget my ipad (that I don't normally bring since there is no internet service) I can't download it on the go on my phone (crappy service out there).

- This will mean less physical expansions, more digital

- We really loved playing as the evil that lurkes, messing with the other players.

I'm not totally anti apo. Descent 2.edt was hard to get to the table. Trying to learn it by playing was a nightmare. Trying to teach it to new players while playing the bad guy was worse. The co-op expansions helped in both regards, and I see how the app is an easier way to distribute such small expansions, but it's not essential to play the game. (Disclaimer, I have dl the descent app, but not tried it).

So far I don't see any reason why this should warrant a purchase from me. I love MoM and it's one of my top 3 most played games. This just seems like the same game, with some tweaks and an app. They probably simplified it too, making it less interesting. But then I like AH over EH....

Hi, I fully agree with you. I was and I am very disappointed to discover the direction MoM2 (and perhaps other titles in the future) has taken. While I have nothing against apps that helps gaming I'm quite negative about games that are an app with props like this one. It's a matter of personal taste of course and I'm not here to deny the entertainment value of the new MoM2 but I feel somewhat relieved to recover my MoM and dont bother about having low battery charge, low connectivity or just some unforseen problem in the OS in the midst of a session, also to me having, or being, a human keepeer is a big plus. All in all I think for me is a farewell, but we'll see.

I definitely respect this viewpoint, but for me, I'll offer my own perspective.

This App turned MoM into a playable experience for me.  As a 25 year veteran in the technology space, I'm around "apps" and technology every day.  I embrace and welcome technology into my hobbies where that technology makes my hobby more enjoyable.  This is precisely what the App for MoM2e has done for me.

Here's a few personal highlights:

1)  I purchased MoM1e about 3 years ago.  I grabbed it on an impulse after watching Rodney's awesome YouTube series on how to play.   A buddy also purchased the game and after a couple poor setup experiences soured us on the entire game.  My copy never even got it's cardboard punched.  I should have sold it, but I just never got around to it.  Needless to say, the App makes setup a breeze and eliminates the poor experience a simple mistake can cause.  It also cuts the setup time to virtually nothing.  A big win in my book.

2)  I was never a fan of the puzzles in 1e (the few times I did play).  While the puzzles remain, the way they are implemented in the app (and can be improved/enhanced) is a good use of technology.  The tension added "feels" more real to me within the App.

3)  Immersion.  I have to admit, I am a big fan of the music and voiceovers in the App.

4)  Much less "fiddly" than 1e.  The app "manages" a ton of things behind the scenes and frees me up to enjoy the story and experience it along with everyone else.  Something that I never felt in 1e.

5)  Eliminates the OL.  My number 1 complaint with MoM1e - I just didn't care for the OL component after experiencing it.  I much prefer a coop experience and with an App, I can now get that in a system that's easy to setup, maintain, and immerse myself in.

6)  So far, the App has made introducing new people to MoM much easier.  Maybe the folks I play with are more accepting of the tech, I don't know.  But it "feels" like this version of MoM is easier to grasp/play than what I remember (fully admit my initial poor experiences might have tainted my recollection of MoM1e).

Just offering my perspective.  I believe technology is something that's penetrated our daily lives and will continue making impact in our hobby.  I am very happy, thus far, with the MoM2e App and look forward to seeing how FFG expands the app beyond the 1e expansions into 2e. 

The best thing about app introduction is possibility of full co-op. I broke my head designing viable co-op variant for MoM at some point, and it was extrenely fiddly to play due to all the factors you must take into account to not screw up the playthrough. With app you'll just launch it and will have an adventure there and ready for you. Neat. My only problem right now is that I don't have any devices to run it on (I'm kinda orthodoxal about mobile devices, I use my pretty old cell-phone to call, text, and listen to music), but I guess if emulator won't do, then I'll buy something finally.

What about a laptop? it is on steam for free.

I have the 1e stuff and I'm open to getting this new 2e box,

A) I like that it has the conversion kit

B) that we can use our 1e stuff with it and that they do have those two expansions that include the main stuff, like the characters, tiles, monsters and for those of us that do not own this they can get those expansions. I know if I did not own the MoM 1e stuff I would.

C) I like that it can be solo, yet I like that I have 1e stuff so I can still play with a keeper if I wanted to. If you have the players, why not. I specifically like games like that where 1 vs all type.

D) I see the App allows you to click on the 1e stuff, but in the future I would like the 1e Scenerios added, like the Clamshell ones I got, which are not box sets. Please FFG add those to the App and add them as 2e Scenerios.