RIP Talonbane Cobra?

Talonbane? Pshaw!

Gemmer Sojan is the one softly weeping in the corner... :,(

As is Mauler Mithel.

OH please Mithel is good.

Winged Gundark.

Fel's Wrath

Those are the real losers.

What about Maarek Stele? Remember him in the TIE Advanced pre X1?

Talonbane ain't dead. He's sleeping.

Illicit slot and the extra shield. Talonbane can cloak, Fenn Rau cannot.

One day of X-wing, we were flying some experimental lists, and I brought a cloaking Talonbane list (don't remember what else I had.... maybe Dengar?). Twice in a row, Talonbane lost his cloaking device the very first round he was cloaked for. Did not ever get the defensive bonus.

Never again.

The only difference is that Fenn Rau with Fearless has to be staring down the gun barrels of his target in order to throw out silly amounts of dice, which means he has to eat dice in return. With no illicit slot/glitterstim, he is really, REALLY praying that he doesn't need to spend his focus on the attack because we all know what happens to green dice when there are no modifiers around.

Cobra on the other hand can get his five dice against anything he has in arc and range 1, meaning he can burn down a Decimator, Ghost and Dash faster than a Fang Fighter.

Additionally, if you had TC and FR face off, TC would have TL + Glitterstim + Fearless versus FR single focus and title. I would favour TC in that joust.

For those people saying that ships from other factions are hurting just don't get it.  Talonbane is Scum and is easily replaced in a list by Fenn.  You can't really replace Gemmer or Mauler Mithel with Fenn in the same list you are playing.  It's a different faction.  

I don't think enough people gave the Kihraxz a chance, to be honest.

Man, I really tried. Took a 5 Kihraxz list to one of our local tournaments, used Talobane as  part of a "Scum Aces" list at regionals (/w Fett and N'Dru). What struck me about the latter list was how crappy Talonbane fared against Soontir and Vader, both of which are in a similar price and PS range. 

Yeah, I think Talonbane really suffers vs. Arc Dodgers.  I think the other named X-wing pilots do, too.  I do agree that Acewing is alive and kicking.  I wonder if Vectored Thrusters would bring some life into Talonbane.

I find I like the Kihraxz as a cheap filler ship in a list.  I'll take the lowest generic and throw him in.  He's not the biggest threat or something to one shot, so people tend not to fire at him early.  Those 3 red dice do cause some damage.  Well....if I'm not facing arc dodgers, that is.  Then again, I don't do tournament stuff, so I rarely do face arc dodgers.  

The only difference is that Fenn Rau with Fearless has to be staring down the gun barrels of his target in order to throw out silly amounts of dice, which means he has to eat dice in return. With no illicit slot/glitterstim, he is really, REALLY praying that he doesn't need to spend his focus on the attack because we all know what happens to green dice when there are no modifiers around.

Cobra on the other hand can get his five dice against anything he has in arc and range 1, meaning he can burn down a Decimator, Ghost and Dash faster than a Fang Fighter.

Additionally, if you had TC and FR face off, TC would have TL + Glitterstim + Fearless versus FR single focus and title. I would favour TC in that joust.

I don't know, man.

Glitterstim only ever works once, and then he's stressed and facing the wrong way against a TIE Interceptor-like dial. The Fang title negates Talonbane's Fearlessness, leaving him only with his super Range 1 bonus (which, incidentally, Rau matches), with which he still has to roll successfully. The title is grants Rau a guaranteed evade, and Rau gets extra defense on top of his already superior agility. Rau can also reposition, so if Rau really doesn't want to get shot at, he doesn't have to, but still gets the same attack bonus as Talonbane whether or not he's in arc.

I'd bet on Rau. Though it'd also depend heavily on who had initiative.

Edited by SgtSmithy

I don't know, man.

Glitterstim only ever works once, and then he's stressed and facing the wrong way against a TIE Interceptor-like dial. The Fang title negates Talonbane's Fearlessness, leaving him only with his super Range 1 bonus (which, incidentally, Rau matches), with which he still has to roll successfully. The title is grants Rau a guaranteed evade, and Rau gets extra defense on top of his already superior agility. Rau can also reposition, so if Rau really doesn't want to get shot at, he doesn't have to, but still gets the same attack bonus as Talonbane whether or not he's in arc.

I'd bet on Rau. Though it'd also depend heavily on who had initiative.

In a game of dice, it could swing either way. If Fenn fires first, he would have six dice modified by a focus only. (not sure what that averages hits wise?)

Then he would have to eat six dice back, with just his evade dice to save him and four hull. That shield on Cobra could of been the think that absorbed a crit.

I am thinking that PTL would be better on Cobra Talonbane since his ability gives him extra dice....that aren't modified.  Give him EU or Vectored Thrusters and he can then Focus.  I'm not sure on the green moves for the ship, though.  I'm not sure how important a green turn is.  I don't expect him to be an Interceptor, so maybe he would be alright?  

I wouldn't worry too much about a Cobra vs Fenn face off.  If you are Scum, you can take both!  

But Talonbane has also a doubled range 3 defense bonus

Which amounts to +0 green dice against secondary weapons. Fenn's +1 green die isn't a range bonus or agility die so he'll get it no matter what is taking a range one shot at him.

You cannot compare best case scenario of Fenn with worst case scenario of Talonbane. HLC doesn't shot at range 1, so for the enemy to be in range 1 is always number 1 tactic (and autoblaster is rare).

Especially in meta where Defenders are bigger part of the meta, range 3 shots with primary weapon will often be the case (same with T70)

Edited by IG88E

But Talonbane has also a doubled range 3 defense bonus

Which amounts to +0 green dice against secondary weapons. Fenn's +1 green die isn't a range bonus or agility die so he'll get it no matter what is taking a range one shot at him.
You cannot compare best case scenario of Fenn with worst case scenario of Talonbane. HLC doesn't shot at range 1, so for the enemy to be in range 1 is always number 1 tactic (and autoblaster is rare).

Especially in meta where Defenders are bigger part of the meta, range 3 shots with primary weapon will often be the case (same with T70)

This isn't comparing best case for one pilot with worst case for the other. You have one defensive bonus that frequently gets negated and another that never gets negated. TLT, ordnance, HLCs, and cannons on TIE/d Defenders are all extremely common. I haven't played against Talonbane very much but in the 3 or 4 games I've faced him, I don't think he's ever got a 5 dice attack off as he usually gets burned down trying to get into range 1. Having an extra green die against my secondary weapon attacks might have been enough to keep alive long enough to get into range.

Edited by WWHSD

I'm gonna say he's just fine. You guys that think the new Protectoriate is FFG's "Soontir" gift to Scum, and their dial will be wicked good haven't payed enough attention to their desire to stuff-down power creep. I'm not drinking the cool-aid on this forum just yet. I trust in attack dice and tokens way more than green dice. So, when I fly scum fighters, I'm still flying:

247799C2-79CF-46B6-A146-05407DF16EC3.png

I'm gonna say he's just fine. You guys that think the new Protectoriate is FFG's "Soontir" gift to Scum, and their dial will be wicked good haven't payed enough attention to their desire to stuff-down power creep. I'm not drinking the cool-aid on this forum just yet. I trust in attack dice and tokens way more than green dice.

but then you'd trust in Rau, who also has the same damage output as Cobra (and, with the promised dial, arguably more modifiers thanks to PTLing focus + TL)

the only thing Cobra has of note is the illicit slot and a shield

I'm gonna say he's just fine. You guys that think the new Protectoriate is FFG's "Soontir" gift to Scum, and their dial will be wicked good haven't payed enough attention to their desire to stuff-down power creep. I'm not drinking the cool-aid on this forum just yet. I trust in attack dice and tokens way more than green dice.

the only thing Cobra has of note is the illicit slot and a shield

These are not the only things I really like in the comparison....but they're two very good ones.

FR gets a focus or two from Manaroo, together with a target lock. His modifiers are fine, he can just boost into range 1 and wreck faces. 

Little late to be mourning Talonbane Cobra.

Talonbane was D.O.A.

beat me to it

Talonbane arrived a corpse

and that which is dead cannot exactly die again

unless you're from Mad Max, and Cobra is from GI Joe

(the more you know...)

That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons, even death may die.