Sign in to follow this  
Ironlord

Fang fighter preview

There were two paint schemes shown in the show - the one on Fenn Rau's ship, and the one that's used as the scheme for the model.

Fenn Rau always flew in this ship:

gauntlet-fighter_b0ddbdb6.jpeg

His two buddies in the first fight flew with this scheme:
scum-protectorate-600px.gif

Sabine mentioned there were 8 of the ships in total and we didn't get to see them all, so it's possible that Fenn Rau's ship wasn't the ONLY one with that colour scheme, so it's not necessarily bad that other pilots also have Rau's colour scheme.

But it turns out that Fenn Rau and the Ace are the only two NOT using the Fenn Rau scheme in the card art.

A bit weird IMO!   :)

Edited by spacebug

Loving the whole thing except for its ridicules name on the card. Everyone is already calling it a Fang.. Instead of letting it sail around the world 27 times they should use that time to reprint them as Fangs.

Yes we had interceptors since wave2 and they were also hot garbage until Soontir/Jax and even then they didnt become ungodly until Autos/Palp appeared.

these fangs are...cheap as hell....for what they do imo. Curious if that cheapest pilot allows 6-7 of these guys in a list...thats a brutal swarm if it is lol so many dice being thrown who needs mods!

Cheapest pilot is 20 points and too expensive at that price

A point less across the board for the generics would have been nice.

If I had to guess, I'd say they didn't want someone to be able to run 5 with titles.

Because we haven't learned anything from the "Lets make the X-wing 21 points so you can't fly 5 of them". Although 5 naked might not be awful, so we will have to wait and see on that one.

I have to say, I get a bit of a giggle that FFG really tries to make us believe jousting with these things on purpose is a viable way to play these ships. The bonus abilities of jousting are gonna be "if you happen to get caught jousting, here is a nice bonus". Outside of that, it's going to be arc dodge, arc dodge, arc dodge.

5 with titles (remembering that you're trying to set up mutual range 1 fire exchange with a PS1 ship) would have been pretty good. Expect the occasional blocker, and otherwise very little traction.

Is anyone else a little suprised that the dial sounds like it's so... conventional? I had my money pegged on 'Scyk with different reds and green hard 1s', so that it was a ship that had green hard turns without having every maneuver at a single speed greened out; it would also have looked a hella 'scummy' dial in the process, and been one that not only loved hugging in close, but (as anyone who's found an Inquisitor in a range 1 knife fight will tell you) one that honestly has trouble not being at Range 1 when the enemy tries to tangle with you. ;)

Instead, it's a slightly slower Hull Upgrade Soontir platform for Fenn. Well, we all know how that dial flies, eh? :P

I can handle this fine. I'm just a little surprised they went that route.

I agree, the addition of Autothruster and Title make these things wonderful, so add 3 points to any ship. If the PS 3 with EPT had been 21, you could add the Title and AT then crackshot or fearlessness and been laughing

Fearlessness sort of acts like Crack Shot to a small degree. It is reusable, but in exchange for that, you have to meet some extra requirements.

Why? Why couldn't the TIE/sf be this cool? Why does everybody else get all the fun new toys?

Uh..you guys have had the interceptor since Wave 2?

Emphasis added. Plus, out of all of the Interceptor pilots, how many are any good? Two and a half?

there's nothing new about the fang, though, apart from some tiny details (title, troll etc.). It's the most basic ship of the wave

if it were imperial, it'd just be a replacement for the interceptor

honestly, the Fang's probably got the same number of viable pilots as the interceptor. The generics are pretty overpriced to, apparently, show some semblance of pity for the Special-K

meanwhile, the Tie/sf is the empire's first small base aux arc and one of its very few ships that can 1-foward

I'm not getting it either.

I like it, I'm getting a few. But it is essentially a re-skin imperial interceptor. Just slightly more fragile and slightly more shooty.

Hard to see how once the shiny has worn off people will only ever play Fenn.

It even sounds similar to Fell.

Edited by Spider

Loving the whole thing except for its ridicules name on the card. Everyone is already calling it a Fang.. Instead of letting it sail around the world 27 times they should use that time to reprint them as Fangs.

People don't generally refer to the Scyk as the "M3-A Interceptor" either. :D

Yes we had interceptors since wave2 and they were also hot garbage until Soontir/Jax and even then they didnt become ungodly until Autos/Palp appeared.

these fangs are...cheap as hell....for what they do imo. Curious if that cheapest pilot allows 6-7 of these guys in a list...thats a brutal swarm if it is lol so many dice being thrown who needs mods!

If I had to guess, I'd say they didn't want someone to be able to run 5 with titles.

Because we haven't learned anything from the "Lets make the X-wing 21 points so you can't fly 5 of them". Although 5 naked might not be awful, so we will have to wait and see on that one.

I have to say, I get a bit of a giggle that FFG really tries to make us believe jousting with these things on purpose is a viable way to play these ships. The bonus abilities of jousting are gonna be "if you happen to get caught jousting, here is a nice bonus". Outside of that, it's going to be arc dodge, arc dodge, arc dodge.

And what is exactly wrong with that? This game is a dogfight "simulation". In whole history of aerial combat brainless shooting at each other was never the most optimal option. What pilots always tried to do was "arc dodging" - to end up at the tail of enemy and shoot at him, while he is unable to do so.

And what is exactly wrong with that? This game is a dogfight "simulation". In whole history of aerial combat brainless shooting at each other was never the most optimal option. What pilots always tried to do was "arc dodging" - to end up at the tail of enemy and shoot at him, while he is unable to do so.

Uhm … Boom and Zoom …Energy fighting …Turrets on Bombers … F-22 BVR Combat based on ECM/ECCM and stealth … anyone taking those? ;-)

I mean sure, BVR air combat is not considered knife fighting, which then again is usally just another word for dog fighting, so we can remove modern fighter combat from that list, but there is still an awful lot on that list that is not about arc doding. Two of those do not care about the enemy arc, but about your own advantageous firing position, while still "in arc", while the third is just gold old turrets from planes to fat to arc dodge anyway.

This game is a severely abstracted representation of dogfighting. Check your history. Tactics varied and depending on the matchup, head on jousting was in some cases encouraged, especially when one plane had a significant firepower or surviveability advantage. What pilots sought was 'time on target' i.e. opportuntities to attack. The most optimal was often from behind the enemy, however a chase solution was not always possible nor always necessary dependant on a host of factors. Bottom line was getting your gunfire to intersect your enemy's spatial coordinates. The more gunfire or the heavier the weight of attack, the more likely this was to succeed.

Uhm … Boom and Zoom …Energy fighting …Turrets on BombersF-22 BVR Combat based on ECM/ECCM and stealth … anyone taking those? ;-)

I mean sure, BVR air combat is not considered knife fighting, which then again is usally just another word for dog fighting, so we can remove modern fighter combat from that list, but there is still an awful lot on that list that is not about arc doding. Two of those do not care about the enemy arc, but about your own advantageous firing position, while still "in arc", while the third is just gold old turrets from planes to fat to arc dodge anyway.

In a way you just confirmed my point.

Boom and Zoom, as well as ECM/ECCM are another ways to attack enemy without expose yourself to enemy attack - so still it is not jousting. Look at it as another ways to deprive enemy from possibility of shooting cannon or using missiless while you shoot at them.

Turrets on bombers were used only as defensive tool because bombers weren't nimble enough to actually dogfight and evade enemy fire.

So no, jousting never was viable, nor it is now. 

Uhm … Boom and Zoom …Energy fighting …Turrets on BombersF-22 BVR Combat based on ECM/ECCM and stealth … anyone taking those? ;-)

In a way you just confirmed my point.

Boom and Zoom, as well as ECM/ECCM are another ways to attack enemy without expose yourself to enemy attack - so still it is not jousting. Look at it as another ways to deprive enemy from possibility of shooting cannon or using missiless while you shoot at them.

Turrets on bombers were used only as defensive tool because bombers weren't nimble enough to actually dogfight and evade enemy fire.

So no, jousting never was viable, nor it is now. 

Not really, boom and zoom is one of the most classic forms of jousting, you go for an head to head approach and hope that your attack vector is better than theirs, usually combined with energy fighting as your machine should have here advantages as well, else you could not boom and zoom against your target. It is actually quite close to what the Fang and Defender do. The Fang has basically the high-ground when going head to head with other ships IF he can stay in R3 or R1, while the defender simply brings more tons of runs or advantages tokens thanks to his speed + those white k-turns which represent as well in a very good way that boom and zoom feel. 

ECM/ECCM BVR is naturally not jousting (technical it is as both sides fire missiles from about 100 miles at each other, but its not what we call jousting in dog fights ;-)) 

Arc Dodging is the knife fight, up close turn- and positional-fights up close in guns reach.

So much to your jousting was never viable. I mean sure, coming from 6 is always preferable, but coming from 11 above on an angle which is hard to hold for the enemy machine (stacking defensive tokens) and firing point black mostly fine too. The most important rule for a dogfight is that you never take a fair one, but that does not rule out a head to head approach. And for space-sims, especially those with zero-g mechanics it becomes a necessary evil even, because flight vectors and ship rotation are to a great deal independent from each other. 

Edited by SEApocalypse

Puzzles me why this ship has 3 firepower when it has the same weaponry as the A-wing, M3-A or even a production TIE/LN.

We have Jumpmasters that have all the options of the Punishing One with Torpedoes, Turrets and Astromech Slots. Twin-Laser turrets that have better damage output than Quad-laser cannons,

The game is getting ridiculous power creep. Its no wonder it has balance problems.

Puzzles me why this ship has 3 firepower when it has the same weaponry as the A-wing, M3-A or even a production TIE/LN.

We have Jumpmasters that have all the options of the Punishing One with Torpedoes, Turrets and Astromech Slots. Twin-Laser turrets that have better damage output than Quad-laser cannons,

The game is getting ridiculous power creep. Its no wonder it has balance problems.

Kihraxz also had only 2 (or 1) lasers.

This game is a severely abstracted representation of dogfighting. Check your history. Tactics varied and depending on the matchup, head on jousting was in some cases encouraged, especially when one plane had a significant firepower or surviveability advantage. What pilots sought was 'time on target' i.e. opportuntities to attack. The most optimal was often from behind the enemy, however a chase solution was not always possible nor always necessary dependant on a host of factors. Bottom line was getting your gunfire to intersect your enemy's spatial coordinates. The more gunfire or the heavier the weight of attack, the more likely this was to succeed.

Not too forget attacking out of the sun, where the enemy pilot had problems to detect and aim at you. This of course does not play a role when modern electronis are in play. It could play a role if you fight in front of some anomaly, like heavy solar flares, quasar magentic pulse or other stuff. Mmmh snells like a scenario :)

swx55-fearlessness.png

Scum only? ... Everybody knows that Imperial Navy pilots are the ones that are fearless :P

This would have been the perfect ept for Black Squadron.

It would have been broken AF for TIE/Ds though.

Vessary with TIE/D title and those four dice Ion/ five dice primary wombo combo.

Vader with ATC anyone?

Inquisitor rolling four dice for days? (always counts as range 1 right??)

Redline with Cluster Missiles (8 potential hits)

Wedge + Jan Ors LOL

Oh wait!

Youngster with Expose

4 x Black Sqd with Fearless

Howlrunner - Fearless

98 points

Good . . . God. . . 30 red dice at range 1? With re-rolls.

Or

Epic Play

Howlrunner with Fearless

Youngster with Expose

10 x Black Sqd with Fearless

188 points

*heavy breathing intensifies*