Sign in to follow this  
kokerin0

[Imperial] Try to hit me, c'mon (Inquisitor, Whisper, fill?)

Hi!

I've been playing rebels for a long time and I've tried to play some imperials for the last month.

LOVE Tie Phantom and I wanted to test TAP so I'm trying to make a competitive list with both of them.

Ok, let's start the show.

The Inquisitor (25)
PTL (3)
Prockets (3)
Autothrusters (2)
TIE/v1 (1)

"Whisper" (32)
VI (1)
FCS (2)
· Rebel Captive (3)
Advanced Cloacking Device (4)

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic%20Empire&d=v4!s!163:18,73:27:15:;79:27,36,46:-1:9:&sn=Inquisitor%20%2F%20Phantom (76/100)

This is the most effective choice I've found but then you have only 24 points left and I don't feel comfortable with filling with 2 Academy Pilots.

So another option is to remove Rebel Captive on Whisper and add a Zeta Leader like this:

Zeta Leader (20)
Juke (2)
Comm Relay (3)
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Galactic%20Empire&d=v4!s!163:18,73:27:15:;79:27,36,-1:-1:9:;188:152,153:-1:17:&sn=Inquisitor%20%2F%20Phantom (99/100)

But the Rebel Captive on Whisper is something I wanted to try so I prefer not to remove it.

So... any ideas on how can I fill the first list (adding/removing/changing upgrades)?

You can pull PRockets from Inquis to add Omega Leader.

You can pull Rebel Captive from Whisper to add Omega Leader.

You can pull PRockets and Rebel Captive to add a Palp Shuttle.

If you pull either PRockets or Rebel Captive and end up with 26pts, but don't want Omega Leader, here's a Deathfire who's a reasonable threat to both large ships and to other aces:

"Deathfire" (17)
Extra Munitions (2)
Plasma Torpedoes (3)
Conner Net (4)
Long-Range Scanners (0)

Total: 26

Christ, with the stripped back Whisper, Inquisitor and Death fire, that is a mean list...

If they target Death fire first (I would) your aces are freed up to do some damage. If they leave him alone he can wreak havoc. Though I've had issues with LRS and not being able to get target locks at certain points. Man. I'm going to try this list I think.

I suppose one issue is times when I've used Whisper and she's been hard countered by higher PS ships or same PS where they have initiative. Still going to give it a shot, though it's a real shame Tomax isn't cheaper than he is.

Edit: Though I'd be tempted to take a Gamma squadron Toilet instead if death fire purely to guarantee I'm shooting before contracted scouts. I could just have a 1 point initiative bid though.

Markham - Would you take Rebel Captive over Kallus on Whisper?

Edited by Goseki1

If you pull either PRockets or Rebel Captive and end up with 26pts, but don't want Omega Leader, here's a Deathfire who's a reasonable threat to both large ships and to other aces:

"Deathfire" (17)
Extra Munitions (2)
Plasma Torpedoes (3)
Conner Net (4)
Long-Range Scanners (0)

I think this will be my choice at first. I find it a good idea. I'll test it and report how did it work.

At the same time, I want some advices about how to fly it (removing PRockets from The Inquisitor)!

Starting positions? What kind of obstacles would you use? How would you fly depending on enemy's target? I didn't fly a TIE Bomber before... so I don't know much about it.

Edit:

Bomber Buddy.  Bring a Scimitar Squad TIE Shuttle with Fleet/Systems/Mk2 and a 2-point bid.

Okay! That's another good choice I guess. I'll test it too and report the results. I have the same problem with the TIE Bomber, I've never flown it, so I've got no idea about how to do it :(

Edited by kokerin0

"Deathfire" (17)
Extra Munitions (2)
Plasma Torpedoes (3)
Conner Net (4)
Long-Range Scanners (0)

I think this will be my choice at first. I find it a good idea. I'll test it and report how did it work.

At the same time, I want some advices about how to fly it (removing PRockets from The Inquisitor)!

Starting positions? What kind of obstacles would you use? How would you fly depending on enemy's target? I didn't fly a TIE Bomber before... so I don't know much about it.

Edit:

Bomber Buddy.  Bring a Scimitar Squad TIE Shuttle with Fleet/Systems/Mk2 and a 2-point bid.

Okay! That's another good choice I guess. I'll test it too and report the results. I have the same problem with the TIE Bomber, I've never flown it, so I've got no idea about how to do it :(

Don't worry, and don't try to fly it like any other ship.  it's only goal is to beetle into range 1 of one ship using a green move, range 2 of the other, and take a single action.  It doesn't need to get shots on target, it doesn't need to block, it only needs to act like a mobile fountain of extra actions.

It goes especially well with both these ships - Phantoms because the decloak can take them into TL range so that the Systems Officer isn't wasted in the first turn of shooting, Inquy because if you manage to avoid stressing him the first turn he's in range of the enemy, he can start getting huge numbers of actions and tokens because giving him a TL means he gets a free evade *action* which can trigger PTL, and if he's dialled in a green move, that can then clear his stress and give him another action, and the BB can still throw him an extra focus token.  It's really though to get to work, but amazing when it does.

That's not a horrible idea, if only so you can fit Homing Missiles onto Deathfire:

"Whisper" (32)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Agent Kallus (2)
Advanced Cloaking Device (4)

The Inquisitor (25)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
TIE/v1 (1)

"Deathfire" (17)
Extra Munitions (2)
Homing Missiles (5)
Conner Net (4)
Long-Range Scanners (0)

Total: 100

I typically don't like to use up all 100pts in an Imperial List, because the initiative bid tends to be important for moving last. That said, Whisper wants to shoot first REAL bad, so she's kind of the odd corner case where she doesn't care who has initiative. If she has it, she shoots first, and if the opponent has it, they don't know where Whisper will end up.

Inquisitor definitely wants to give away the initiative bid so he can move after other PS8 ships, but if that's a problem, Whisper comes in at PS9 and takes out those pesky enemy PS8s.

The obvious benefit to Deathfire here is that with Long Range Scanners, you can lock on to a ship and fire one Plasma Torpedo with a focus modifier (TL from the pre-combat round, and focus from the combat round), but then you're out of Target Locks and probably closer than Range 3. If you switch to Homing Missile, you can fire the first shot without actually spending the target lock, using only your focus modifier, then still retain the target lock for the second volley, at which point you can use it for a modifier. It's much easier to get off both salvos (provided the ship you have targeted doesn't make a break for it).

There's also the possibility of leaving Rebel Captive on Whisper, and loading up your Deathfire with Conner Nets and Ion Pulse Missiles. The Ion Pulse Missiles have the same benefit as the Homing Missiles, in that you don't have to spend the TL, but they're only 3 dice and they deal minimal damage. The benefit is that you can use either the Ion Missiles or the Conner Nets to ionize someone who shot at Whisper, who had stressed them with the Rebel Captive, and really put them on lock down with an ion+stress combo. It's more a control strategy than damage, and with only 3 dice, you'll never hit Soontir (and you're unlikely to hit enemy Inquis), but I guess that's what the Conner Nets are for. It's still fairly threatening to other ships. Dengaroo has their own Dengar stressed into next Thursday, so dropping some Ion tokens on it is a pretty scary proposition if they don't want to fly onto rocks or off the board. Just some food for thought.

I'd lose the prockets on the inquisitor and then you can afford Omega Leader with Juke and Comm Relay. A great end game closer once he has a ship target locked.

That's not a horrible idea, if only so you can fit Homing Missiles onto Deathfire:

"Whisper" (32)

Veteran Instincts (1)

Fire-Control System (2)

Agent Kallus (2)

Advanced Cloaking Device (4)

The Inquisitor (25)

Push the Limit (3)

Autothrusters (2)

TIE/v1 (1)

"Deathfire" (17)

Extra Munitions (2)

Homing Missiles (5)

Conner Net (4)

Long-Range Scanners (0)

Total: 100

I typically don't like to use up all 100pts in an Imperial List, because the initiative bid tends to be important for moving last. That said, Whisper wants to shoot first REAL bad, so she's kind of the odd corner case where she doesn't care who has initiative. If she has it, she shoots first, and if the opponent has it, they don't know where Whisper will end up.

Inquisitor definitely wants to give away the initiative bid so he can move after other PS8 ships, but if that's a problem, Whisper comes in at PS9 and takes out those pesky enemy PS8s.

The obvious benefit to Deathfire here is that with Long Range Scanners, you can lock on to a ship and fire one Plasma Torpedo with a focus modifier (TL from the pre-combat round, and focus from the combat round), but then you're out of Target Locks and probably closer than Range 3. If you switch to Homing Missile, you can fire the first shot without actually spending the target lock, using only your focus modifier, then still retain the target lock for the second volley, at which point you can use it for a modifier. It's much easier to get off both salvos (provided the ship you have targeted doesn't make a break for it).

There's also the possibility of leaving Rebel Captive on Whisper, and loading up your Deathfire with Conner Nets and Ion Pulse Missiles. The Ion Pulse Missiles have the same benefit as the Homing Missiles, in that you don't have to spend the TL, but they're only 3 dice and they deal minimal damage. The benefit is that you can use either the Ion Missiles or the Conner Nets to ionize someone who shot at Whisper, who had stressed them with the Rebel Captive, and really put them on lock down with an ion+stress combo. It's more a control strategy than damage, and with only 3 dice, you'll never hit Soontir (and you're unlikely to hit enemy Inquis), but I guess that's what the Conner Nets are for. It's still fairly threatening to other ships. Dengaroo has their own Dengar stressed into next Thursday, so dropping some Ion tokens on it is a pretty scary proposition if they don't want to fly onto rocks or off the board. Just some food for thought.

Thanks for taking the time Dude. To be honest I'm tempted to use Kallus and plasma torpedoes and have a 98 point bid to almost guarantee Whisper shoots first.

Thanks for taking the time Dude. 

Anytime. I appreciate the ego inflation that comes with being asked specifically for my advice, so thanks for that.

So, if we take the 39pt baseline Whisper (no crew) and 31pt baseline Inquisitor (no PRockets), the list has 30pts to work with. Those pts need to buy a 3rd teammate, possibly crew for Whisper, and pay for your initiative bid, if you choose to save points for one.

All that said, here's a list of ships that can be beneficial to the team and fall into the point range (Omega Leader & Palp Shuttle have been omitted, as they're the obvious choices and OP has expressed no interest in them):

Sigma Squadron Pilot (25)
Stygium Particle Accelerator (2)

Omicron Group Pilot (21)
Electronic Baffle (1)
Darth Vader (3)
Tactician (2)

Storm Squadron Pilot (23)
Proton Rockets (3)
Accuracy Corrector (0)
Guidance Chips (0)
TIE/x1 (0)

"Zeta Leader" (20)
Predator (3)
Comm Relay (3)
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II (1)

Gamma Squadron Veteran (19)
Deadeye (1)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
Extra Munitions (2)
Proton Rockets (3)
Guidance Chips (0)

The point of all of these ships is roughly the same; draw fire away from Whisper and Inquisitor or punish the opponent for ignoring it by doing massive damage. Essentially, they're threats meant to draw fire and explode. They're Biggs, but more dangerous. They die, but they do damage or soak agro. Either way, you benefit.

The generic Phantom may seem the craziest inclusion on the list, but it's not that far-fetched when you compare it to Deathfire. It'll get a free evade token on the round it decloaks into the action, which essentially makes it 4HP +1 Evade rather than 6HP, so it's almost as durable. The difference is that its weapon is much easier to use and has an unlimited amount of shots. You can also spend 1pt to put an Intelligence Agent on it, which can benefit the rest of your team as well.

The Tie Advance is a non-threatening workhorse, except that you fly it into the mix aggressively and take focus tokens with it (which can be used defensively) until you get the opportunity to fire a 5 dice attack with those PRockets, which will have the benefit of being modified by a focus token and by G-Chips, making it a really big boom. On subsequent turns, the Tie Adv. takes evade or BR as needed.

The Vader Shuttle is just a solid threat vs. other Imperial Aces and a decently sized body for the cost. Baffler makes it more mobile than the shuttles of old.

Zeta Leader and the Gamma Bomber don't need much explanation, and they're fairly reliable damage dealers who are easy to use.

Any of these ships could do fine with Whisper and Inquis, if flown well. Take your pick. Have fun.
Edited by CBMarkham

Deathfire with flechette torps is great, not for output but as control versus PTL/Phantoms.

Imho Whisper without heavy init bid is asking for trouble and Deathfire will hardly survive/deliver second torp so no need to invest more points than needed.

Tried the Whisper, Inquisitor and Deathfire list. Deathfire blew up after only dropping a single Connor net (that hit),this was largely due to me targeting Manaroo and then nit being able to shoot her after she offloaded tokens to Dengar.

I managed okay against Dengar of and would have won when time would have been called.

Swapped the bomber for OL next round and got trounced due to Dengaroo shenanigans and being too aggressive with the Inquisitor. I think I need more practice with this list and will therefore just fall back to a double defender list I like at regionals this weekend. Definitely something there I want to try again though.