FTS Gecko

Who Would Be Your Choice To Play Grand Admiral Thrawn?

I concur, Cumberbatch would be great. Iain Glen is also a good suggestion.

The guy that plays Tywin Lannister ( he was an awesome bad dude in Last Action Hero).

Following Ghostbusters' trend of casting ladies in the traditionally fella's roles, Melissa McCarthy .

Or Morena Baccarin, just because she is one of the most stunningly beautiful women on the planet and I will happily watch her on screen in anything.

The guy that plays Tywin Lannister...

No offense Conandoodle, but SWEET ZOMBIE JEEBUS ON A BICYCLE, is this what starring in Game of Thrones does to people acting careers?

CHARLES FREAKIN' DANCE of all people now becomes "that guy that plays (played) Tywin Lannister?

The guy that plays Tywin Lannister...

No offense Conandoodle, but SWEET ZOMBIE JEEBUS ON A BICYCLE, is this what starring in Game of Thrones does to people acting careers?

CHARLES FREAKIN' DANCE of all people now becomes "that guy that plays (played) Tywin Lannister?

He's a performer. That is all. I have forgotten the names of far for important and influential people. Heck, as we have engaged in some dialogue here, I rate remembering your name as more important than remembering his. He has a job, he is good at it, he gets paid for it.

I do not understand my our culture places such value on performers and sports people (of limited fields)

What's the name of the chef that cooks our meals we like at our favourite restaurant? We've spent more money and time with that individual and have a closer relationship with him/her than we have/will half of the performers we 'care' about.

Edited by Conandoodle

I hate to say it, because I'm not really all that fond of him, but Benedict Cumberbatch would be perfect for the role.

I can sort of see it, yeah.

Given that Thrawn is essentially Sherlock Holmes if Holmes had devoted his intellect to military strategy instead of crime solving, he seems a perfect fit.

That is right, but at the same time he is completely different than homes. 

Lars Mikkelsen is the voice of Thrawn in Rebels. So there already is someone playing Thrawn. 

If you ask me he looks like he would be fine as a live action Thrawn as well. 

lars_mikkelsen2_1864063b.jpg

Yes, he seems fine. He was a good counterpart to homes too. Not that I don't think Christian Bale or Benedict Cumberbatch would not be able to do a good job too.

Magnussen.png

Traditionally Imperial admirals have been played by British actors, so Cumberbatch, Hiddleston or Glen would all be excellent nominees. Any of them would bring Thrawn to life in the manner that befits the character.

Traditionally Imperial admirals have been played by British actors, so Cumberbatch, Hiddleston or Glen would all be excellent nominees. Any of them would bring Thrawn to life in the manner that befits the character.

Well then what about Rowan Atkinson? ;)

But Thrawn is anything BUT a traditional imperial admiral. He is literally an alien among them. 

Well then what about Rowan Atkinson? ;)

His face is too rubbery, and with his background in slapstick-style comedy, I doubt anyone could take him seriously as an Imperial admiral.

But Thrawn is anything BUT a traditional imperial admiral. He is literally an alien among them. 

Read it again. I didn't say "Traditional Imperial admirals". I said traditionally, British actors have played Imperial admirals. It seemed George Lucas preferred the aristocratic accent that they brought to the roles.

I haven't read any of the star wars novels so I don't know how Thrawn was depicted but many of the actors mentioned I think would be too young to be a Grand Admiral. Then again, given Vader's penchant for "field promotions" it is possible.

In keeping with Parravon's comment on British actors Jeremy Brett or Sir Ian Mackellan or Patrick Stewart. Though Stewart would have a hard time shedding the good guy image as Jean Luc Picard. That's not an attack on his acting abilities but on the audiences.

On 8/15/2016 at 11:03 PM, SEApocalypse said:

Fassbender for Talon Karrde 

I could see Fasbender for Karrde..

On 8/3/2018 at 1:44 PM, Jo Jo said:

He is on the older side, but Gary Oldman is basically great in every roll.

Gary oldman, and Dennis hopper were my 2 favorite people to play baddies in films.

On 8/3/2018 at 10:29 PM, TopHatGorilla said:

Christopher Eccleston and Hugo Weaving are both amazing actors.

Jared Leto does such a great job in everything he's in... Okay, I can't even take that one seriously enough to joke about.

With how well Weaving did in V, and Matrix trilogy, i can see that..

On 7/24/2016 at 5:00 PM, T70 Driver said:

Jeremy Irons.

IMO just like Patrick Stewart, i feel he'd be too old.

On 7/24/2016 at 6:30 PM, Robin Graves said:

Christian Bale

Interesting angle.  Never thought of bale being able to do the baddie.  BUT he does iMO have the voice i picture Thrawn using.

On 7/24/2016 at 7:33 PM, Forgottenlore said:

I hate to say it, because I'm not really all that fond of him, but Benedict Cumberbatch would be perfect for the role.

After seeing how well he did playing Khan in the 2nd Star trek reboot, i agree.  He would be a perfect fit.

On 7/25/2016 at 1:26 PM, Dagonet said:

How about Iain Glen

I've liked some of his film roles, but i don't think he has the gravitas..

I love both Cumberbach and the guy from Game of Thrones. Here’s a thought. I know he is older and would have to lose a little weight. But movie magic can do a lot. What about Anthony Hopkins? Think of Hannibal Lechter with blue skin, red eyes and black hair in the Grand Admiral uniform...the voice alone. “Hello Clarice...”

On 8/16/2016 at 11:13 PM, Parravon said:

His face is too rubbery, and with his background in slapstick-style comedy, I doubt anyone could take him seriously as an Imperial admiral.

You're absolutely right.

He'd be PERFECT for the First Order!