Sign in to follow this  
bjmori

T65 a New Hope

I don't like rerolls as much. It just slows the game down. It could work though.

You must never like opponents that Target Lock you then, and I guess you must never Target Lock your opponents either...

Edited by knavelead

Crazy thought: Zero point T-65 title that basically says that any Astromech relying on a dice roll automatically succeeds.

That works for making the astromech not crap... :P

And a 1-point Mod called the T-70 Refit to add a shield and Boost so people can whinge about not having a spot for Integrated Astromech. :P

So you want to give T-65s identical stats and action bar to a completely different ship, for LESS than that other ship had to pay for those things? You're either aggressively trying to make the T-70 obsolete, or you have no creativity. Possibly both. 

Don't quit your day job to make games or design game balance.

Crazy thought: Zero point T-65 title that basically says that any Astromech relying on a dice roll automatically succeeds.

Similarly a title that allows you to take the action header on astromech as a free action. A bit like experimental interface but better (not unique, no stress penalty, no giving up modification slot). Currently we have 3 astromechs R7-T1, R2-F2, and R5-D8 with action header none of which see any play. I think this might be good for all 3 X, E and T-70. Now only things that we need to avoid breaking are Biggs, Corran and Poe wit their current combinations.

Biggs generally is seen with either R4-D6 or R2-D2(more adventurous pilots) so damage reduction or regen so clearly R2-F2 might be a great choice but it still requires an action albeit free so stress and bumping should be able to overcome it. R5-D8 is just another regen and weaker than R2-D2 may be comparable to R5-P9 in its effectiveness.

Both Poe and Corran rely heavily on regen R5-P9 or R2-D2 and I don't see either of them switching to any of these 3. Though I see 4 green dice Corran or 3 dice autothruster Poe as tough cookies to crack but I would sure welcome the variety that will bring to play styles. 

I see these most useful as a tool to bring all X, E or T-70  all named squads. Action efficiency will make generics as well as named pilots much more attractive as jousting backbone of rebels. 

And a 1-point Mod called the T-70 Refit to add a shield and Boost so people can whinge about not having a spot for Integrated Astromech. :P

So you want to give T-65s identical stats and action bar to a completely different ship, for LESS than that other ship had to pay for those things? You're either aggressively trying to make the T-70 obsolete, or you have no creativity. Possibly both. 

The reason for it being cheaper than the "completely different" ship that is inexplicably also called an X-Wing is that you don't get the better dial (or the tech upgrade or modification possibilities) of the T-70 X-Wing. It's about giving the old X-Wing pilots a chance to see the table again without quite getting to the level of the T-70. It sounds like you want to aggressively keep the T-65 obsolete. :P

The reason for it being cheaper than the "completely different" ship that is inexplicably also called an X-Wing is that you don't get the better dial (or the tech upgrade or modification possibilities) of the T-70 X-Wing. It's about giving the old X-Wing pilots a chance to see the table again without quite getting to the level of the T-70. It sounds like you want to aggressively keep the T-65 obsolete. :P

A green and T-Rolls plus a slot that has a grand total of 2 upgrades available isn't worth 2 points. The shield and the boost is almost entirely the additional value over the T-65. There would be absolutely no reason to use a T-70 in any way, because it's major advantages come to the T-65 at 2 points cheaper.

A fix isnt a fix when it invalidates another ship by becoming that ship for cheaper.

Edited by Razgriz25thinf

Probably a good dose of sarcasm in there and while it probably wouldn't bring the T-65 into play on the level some want it I would like to see a cheap upgrade that will give in the Engine and Shield Upgrades bringing it's base stats, if not the dial, up to T-70 levels.

I don't like the idea of giving repositioning to the t65.  It would work, and technically fix it, but then it becomes too much like the t70 or e-wing.  It should be unique.

I like the idea of just giving it a more potent attack.  I'd give it one more attack die to make it 4/2/3/2, but make that one point upgrade a title with whatever cost it needs to be (mathwingers can figure this out).  

Agreed about repositioning.  I would like something that helps offense and defense in a joust.

A title

?? Points

"When attacking or defending at range 2, roll 1 additional die."

I would love to see what kind of jousting value this would give if it were a free title.

Similarly a title that allows you to take the action header on astromech as a free action. A bit like experimental interface but better (not unique, no stress penalty, no giving up modification slot). Currently we have 3 astromechs R7-T1, R2-F2, and R5-D8 with action header none of which see any play. I think this might be good for all 3 X, E and T-70. Now only things that we need to avoid breaking are Biggs, Corran and Poe wit their current combinations.

Biggs generally is seen with either R4-D6 or R2-D2(more adventurous pilots) so damage reduction or regen so clearly R2-F2 might be a great choice but it still requires an action albeit free so stress and bumping should be able to overcome it. R5-D8 is just another regen and weaker than R2-D2 may be comparable to R5-P9 in its effectiveness.

Both Poe and Corran rely heavily on regen R5-P9 or R2-D2 and I don't see either of them switching to any of these 3. Though I see 4 green dice Corran or 3 dice autothruster Poe as tough cookies to crack but I would sure welcome the variety that will bring to play styles. 

I see these most useful as a tool to bring all X, E or T-70  all named squads. Action efficiency will make generics as well as named pilots much more attractive as jousting backbone of rebels. 

When I first saw the Integrated Astromech, but before I knew what that card did, this is what I was hoping for.

Int Astro

Mod

After you perform an action, you may perform one free action from an equipped Astromech with the Action: header.

Yeah the problem with fixing the T-65 is if you don't also fix the T-70, the T-70 gets pushed out, when it's already not in a great spot. Even Poe is not that great at the moment, and I certainly have a hard time seeing a use for a PS9 Poe given his cost. The Xwing in general still needs a bit of something.

T-65 title (0 pts)

When attacking or defending you may change one die result to a focus.

Reduce the cost of all non-unique astromechs by 2 (to a minimum of 0).

Even fixed R3 in the process.

Even with that R3 is still garbage for any pilot before PS8. You have to shoot before you get shot at to get that evade after all. It's a good idea to make sure you get more out of a focus, however.

T-65 title (0 pts)

Even with that R3 is still garbage for any pilot before PS8. You have to shoot before you get shot at to get that evade after all. It's a good idea to make sure you get more out of a focus, however.

I don't disagree. It does give you 0pt astro options for IA though and changing a blank to a focus has benefits to attack and defense even without factoring in R3. 

T-65 title (0 pts)

R3 is supposed to make target lock a bit more attractive compared to a focus. Your fix (which I like!) makes focus the far superior choice.

Title 1 (0 points)

Reduce the cost of astro and torp by 1

Title 2 (0 points)

Equip any number of mods totalling 2 points (3?).

Astro 1 (1-2 points)

Remove all target lock requirements from torps

Astro 2 (1-2 points)

Reveal a 3 turn may do a red troll, reveal a 3 bank may do red sloop

Nope, I don't like it.  Of course one must do it to be competitive, but that doesn't mean it's a good design.

I don't like rerolls as much. It just slows the game down. It could work though.

You must never like opponents that Target Lock you then, and I guess you must never Target Lock your opponents either...

Title: Talented Shield Control

X-Wing Only

Cost: 0

[Dual Card]

Side 1: Shields Front

Side 2: Shields Rear

During the raise shields setup step, place an equal number of shield tokens on this card. These shield tokens apply only to attacks which come from the selected edge. These shield tokens cannot protect from attacks received via either side edge.

RogueMorgan

Yeah the problem with fixing the T-65 is if you don't also fix the T-70, the T-70 gets pushed out, when it's already not in a great spot. Even Poe is not that great at the moment, and I certainly have a hard time seeing a use for a PS9 Poe given his cost. The Xwing in general still needs a bit of something.

Poe not being in a great spot is completely unrelated to him being great or not. He just has a few issues within the current meta and actually as new Poe can remove target locks, Boost and BR and comes with native PS9 … he is a decent position to give aces a real headache … at least once HotR is released. 

"period3 said "Nope, I don't like it. Of course one must do it to be competitive, but that doesn't mean it's a good design. "

It really is a good design though.

It lets you get a possible good roll when dice averages are against yo at times, and it really sucjks if you o everything right but cant roll worh a crap in the game and lose due to it. (

Yes that is part of the game, which is why focus and target lock are around to prevent said issue).

Not to mention there are many many games that have reroll abilities, either for 1 die, or a certain die result, or just all the dice you fail on. Its part of dice games.

You seem to indicate one reason you dislike it is due to slowing down game time. Well I have news for you, it doesnt slow it down in any substantial amount...unless your opponent is indecisive and takes more than 30 seconds to roll dice or decide to re-roll them. And then your issue should be over some sort of delay of game, call, not over the Target Lock/reroll functions of the game.

Now if your issue is over the delay of game problem that some opponenets may be gulty of (and I know some are) then you can either call a judge, or lobby somewhere for a delay of game ruling that is done pst game like some sort of sportmanship issue, that i beleive should be in the game.

Edited by knavelead