Sign in to follow this  
Supertoe

What's so awesome about the Gunboat?

Absolutely nothing. It's a dumb looking ship that brings nothing interesting to the table that a bunch of people here are irrationally obsessed about.

I didn't mean that it was irrational. But take a look at the forums and every page has a mention of the gunboat. A little much?

Absolutely nothing. It's a dumb looking ship that brings nothing interesting to the table that a bunch of people here are irrationally obsessed about.

To be clear, I am not a Gunboat fanboy. I just know how many people want that ship on this forum.

I think from the very beginning of this game, people had a strong sense of the video games X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter. People just kind of expected the ships from those games to get put in this game because it seemed so obvious. When the TIE Defender came out, it was all but certain that the Gunboat would be released soon. I think there are quite a few people who LOVE the gunboat, but there are also a bunch of people who like it alright and have fond memories of it and are just scratching their heads at why the Gunboat hasn't made it to the game yet.

I am not a rabid fanboy. I never played the video games.  I have no emotional ties (no pun intended) to it.  I think it is interesting and has a design lineage reminiscent of the Lambda shuttle.  I think it looks better than the Punisher and would be an interesting addition to the game... sort of like an Imperial Y-wing, as someone pointed out.  A low agility fighter with low attack value but missile and cannon upgrade possibility.  

Just my opinion.

I'm replaying TF and XWvsTF atm...

Honestly I don't like flying it, I play it draining shields for speed and just accept the clumsiness and weak PW. It would be a nice axis shift for the Imps in this game though...

As others said, they made the punisher. Its window appears to have passed until the rebels get another AG 3 ship... ;)

besides the Avenger it is the only ship from one of the X-wing Series games TIE Fighter that isn't in X-wing. Unlike all the other TIEs which required fast maneuvering and powerful lasers this one was a lot slower and you had to charge weapons and shields as well as carefully plan when to fire your missiles.

There is one downside to it though. Missiles still suck and don't have the build that used to be Deadeye R4-Agro combo. We already have the TIE Bomber and TIE Punisher which could be missile platforms like the assault gunboat and missile boat but as of now with the current meta I'm afraid an Assault gunboat would end up as a discount TIE Defender being only used as a cannon platform.

The Devs should to give the old Deadeye/R4 combo to a missile dependent ship that has no out of arc firing capabilities.

Edited by Marinealver

I think from the very beginning of this game, people had a strong sense of the video games X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter. People just kind of expected the ships from those games to get put in this game because it seemed so obvious. When the TIE Defender came out, it was all but certain that the Gunboat would be released soon.

My joking, trollish post aside, this is the reason it gets brought up so often I believe. The way FFG have released stuff over the years, and what they have chosen to release, makes it pretty clear that this game, at least originally, was basically a tabletop interpretation of those old video games. People like me who never played any of those games have no particular attachment to the thing, it's just a random ship that looks like it should be 3 times bigger than it us because it looks like a shuttle not a fighter, but for the people who played those video games originally it symbolizes a particular nostalgia.

I mean, like it is cool and all, but why does everybody here seem to be obsessed with it beyond belief? (Don't think I didn't see those 3d schematics)

SNARGEL-DAT-RAT-LAMB-DUR...

I ain't everybody, and neither are most of my FRIENDS here.

REB%2BHAN%2BBLAST%2BGREDO.PNG

To your inquiry... well about two years ago I made a topic about Imperial HUGE Ships for X-EPIC and it was very popular and we had fun for a year talking about what FFG was going to make. The topic you are referring to was made a while after and it is still going on. It has become a cult and unlike my excellent predictions which came %90 true; this silly want for an obscure ship from the 90's is still around because it has become a circle-jerk for the unreasonably nostalgic.

Most people realize that FFG may not make EVERY SHIP from every video game and they have shut-up their stupid crybaby screaming at FFG to do what they want, and have instead purchased models from the many alternate sources out there and printed up their own cool paper.  Reasonably intelegent hobbyist just make their favorite ship a reality on their tables at home... there are awesome-sauces broiling outside of this little nerd zone.

60SA.gif 37.gif _heart__rvmp_by_bad_blood.gif

I have all of these ships in my game because I love them enough to go and get them and I got tired of waiting on FFG to maybe... possibly... one fine day... make the **** things.

:lol:

REB%2BJEDI%2BHYPER%2BATTACK.png REB%2BJEDI%2BMASTER%2BETA2.PNG REB%2BEPOD.PNG SCUM%2BSCARAB%2BIGDS.PNG SCUM%2BHUTT%2BHF.PNG SCUM%2BUTF.png IMP%2BFO%2B%2BSHUT.png IMP%2BFO%2BTRANS.png

For me it's a few reasons.

First, aesthetics. The Empire are all about primary shapes and blades for their visual style. Like the Lambda, the Assault Gunboat is an array of wings. Top-down it still has a delta to suggest forward movement and speed, and it looks good at a few angles. It doesn't have things hanging off the sides awkwardly to make it look strange (like the TIE Oppressor), and the proportions and placement of the features don't make it look like an afterthought trying too hard (like the TIE punisher) or something that glued features together to make it "look cool" (again, like the TIE Oppressor's oddly placed third wing).

Second is visibility. The TIE Avenger and Assault Gunboat are both loved by TIE Fighter sim veterans, but these rare ships hardly make an appearance in the Legends scheme of things. So while FFG is offering up fugly duds from lackluster sources like TIE trying-too-hard punisher/interdictor, the R2-dome Decimator, and the derpy Scyk fighter, the popular fighters that are almost as obscure aren't being chosen. It's maddening that the gunboat is apparently being avoided on purpose, though thankfully the offerings of the Inquisitor Fighter and First Order craft are good substitutes. In the end it might be even too late for the Assault Gunboat if FFG is restricted to only Rebels/Episode-X ships, until those fighters are depicted somewhere in the new canon. Still, one can hope.

Third is gameplay. I may be removed from the game for several waves, but I still don't see the Empire having a tanky small-ship cannon carrier of their own. Both new TIE Defender options basically mess with Imperial small ships that can carry a Heavy Laser Cannon, and I think this is what the Gunboat could do.

There are good points for and against the Gunboat. I personally have no nostalgia towards it, but I do really want it in the game for one major reason, Visual Diversity for the Empire's fighters. I am so sick of Tie fighters. I have 15 tie fighters, 6 Tie/FOs and I'll probably get 4 Tie/SF. And you know what, they all look exactly the same(more or less) I would love a ship that functioned as a mid grade fighter(an Imperial Ywing) that didn't have a ball cockpit!