Absol197

Trends, Statistics, and Predictions!

2 hours ago, warchild1x said:

So, unlimited power is now officially awaiting reprint. I'm wondering if it will get restocked before we see cyphers and masks.

Dang, that was quick.  But it's always quick, isn't it? 

13 minutes ago, themensch said:

Dang, that was quick.  But it's always quick, isn't it? 

I mean, with how long it was waiting to hit shelves, my guess is that a large amount of the original print run was taken up with pre-orders.  It's not surprising that a newly released book gets gobbled up so quickly. 

3 hours ago, Absol197 said:

I mean, with how long it was waiting to hit shelves, my guess is that a large amount of the original print run was taken up with pre-orders.  It's not surprising that a newly released book gets gobbled up so quickly. 

But that means something, doesn't it?

52 minutes ago, Absol197 said:

I meant for Cyphers and Masks.  If it was coming out in July, it would have needed to change status today. 

The last few changed status on Thursday. They should have done it on wed with everything else. They didnt

20 hours ago, OddballE8 said:

Anyone get the 30th anniversary box yet?

My FLGS got it Monday, I picked it up Wednesday with my comics. Work has been stupid crazy lately so I haven't really had a chance to dig deep in it...but it sure looks great

On 7/13/2018 at 2:17 AM, OddballE8 said:

Just got an e-mail yesterday that Knights of Fate and Unlimited Power were on their way to me.

So those have now arrived in Sweden.

Still waiting for 30th anniversary edition.

Hope it arrives soon. It's refreshing to see it.

So with the 30th Anniversary set in stores, the only outstanding product is Cyphers and Masks...

Has there ever been a time with only one product on the horizon?

I'm assuming that they're waiting for Gencon to do a big, big announcement of future products because, assuming they are actually developing other books, it makes zero sense to not be talking about anything further for this line.

1 hour ago, scottmcfarland said:

I'm assuming that they're waiting for Gencon to do a big, big announcement of future products because, assuming they are actually developing other books, it makes zero sense to not be talking about anything further for this line.

This was the thought with the WH40K games too, but FFG proved everybody wrong by continuing to neglect them through the con season until they eventually revealed "oh, yeah, those are dead to us."

Well, I dunno, context is different. There was legitimate danger to the 40k license behind the scenes, forcing a quiet end to the line and all planned reprints. FFG's Star Wars continues strong on other games.

I suspect we'll see a few more books out of the rpg, but at a trickle compared to before, as development time is focused elsewhere.

Out in the real world the Star Wars brand is in trouble. The Last Jedi performed below expected performance at the box office because it insulted many hardcore fans with unwanted subversions and "politics". Solo was a box office nuclear bomb that have lost Disney and LucasFilms serious money mainly because many hardcore fans boycotted it and casual fans would rather watch Deadpool 2 or Avengers: Infinity War.

Sales of Star Wars toys and merchandise have been lacking the last couple years and may have been a contributing factor in the demise of Toys'R'Us.

The Star Wars licenses are ripe for renegotiations or may be dropped by current licenseholders. FFG might considering dropping the Star Wars license.

Sorry for the doom and gloom.

*grits teeth*

Could we refrain from editorialzing on TLJ's and the franchise's recent quality in this thread, mayhap?

As someone who actually enjoys recent Star Wars ventures, the smug negativity is inescapable. Especially when it's taken for granted as the default audience response.

Edited by CeilingSquid

5 minutes ago, CeilingSquid said:

*grits teeth*

Could we refrain from editorialzing on TLJ's and the franchise's recent quality in this thread, mayhap?

As someone who actually enjoys recent Star Wars ventures, the smug negativity is inescapable. Especially when it's taken for granted as the default audience response.

Thank you!

Now, on topic again, have we gotten all the career books for all three lines yet? (counting cyphers and masks, here)

Because if we do, then I could see them ending the line, if it's not making them enough money.

That said, I would be oddly ok with them ending the line if they've done all the career books. 
But that's just me. (So much stuff to find online anyway, so I don't need adventures and fluff books, really)

Ps. that said, I would be delighted if they kept making the books. They're all very gorgeous and well done. Just saying I'd be strangely ok with it if they ended it.

31 minutes ago, CeilingSquid said:

*grits teeth*

Could we refrain from editorialzing on TLJ's and the franchise's recent quality in this thread, mayhap?

Seconded.

Just earlier today, I encountered someone online claiming that 90% “of Star Wars fans” have turned away from the franchise. ?

2 hours ago, Alisair Longreach said:Out in the real world the Star Wars brand is in trouble. The Last Jedi performed below expected performance at the box office because it insulted many hardcore fans with unwanted subversions and "politics". Solo was a box office nuclear bomb that have lost Disney and LucasFilms serious money mainly because many hardcore fans boycotted it and casual fans would rather watch Deadpool 2 or Avengers: Infinity War.

Sales of Star Wars toys and merchandise have been lacking the last couple years and may have been a contributing factor in the demise of Toys'R'Us.

The Star Wars licenses are ripe for renegotiations or may be dropped by current licenseholders. FFG might considering dropping the Star Wars license.

Sorry for the doom and gloom.

Toys R Us went down because it was bought by a hedge fund that used a loan of the value of the company to pay for the purchase and had to service said loan out of yearly profits. It made money every year but was crushed by that debt. Star Wars had nothing to do with that. 

20 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

Seconded.

Just earlier today, I encountered someone online claiming that 90% “of Star Wars fans” have turned away from the franchise. ?

Episode VII and VIII have been extremely divisive amongst fans, leading to many rushing to either support or tear down what they perceive to be good/bad. Either way you slice it, it hasn’t been universally celebrated or reviled, it’s just created many factions and debates that do little but go in circles. 

3 hours ago, Demon4x4 said:

IIRC, their RPG license requires them to release one book per quarter, correct? Or does that include products like the X-Wing minis game, etc.?

I’ve heard it was a product, but it doesn’t necesarily have to be a book. 

17 minutes ago, Khazadune said:

Toys R Us went down because it was bought by a hedge fund that used a loan of the value of the company to pay for the purchase and had to service said loan out of yearly profits. It made money every year but was crushed by that debt. Star Wars had nothing to do with that. 

This. Same thing that happened to Kay-Bee. (Didn’t help that TRU didn’t really offer anything that couldn’t also be purchased down the road at Target or *shudder* Walmart for less.)

19 minutes ago, Khazadune said:

Episode VII and VIII have been extremely divisive amongst fans, leading to many rushing to either support or tear down what they perceive to be good/bad. Either way you slice it, it hasn’t been universally celebrated or reviled, it’s just created many factions and debates that do little but go in circles. 

I’m not sure I’d say extremely divisive, but agree with the gist of your statement here. I think you’d probably agree that the statement that “90% of Star Wars fans” have turned away is quite heavily inflated.

18 minutes ago, Nytwyng said:

This. Same thing that happened to Kay-Bee. (Didn’t help that TRU didn’t really offer anything that couldn’t also be purchased down the road at Target or *shudder* Walmart for less.)

I’m not sure I’d say extremely divisive, but agree with the gist of your statement here. I think you’d probably agree that the statement that “90% of Star Wars fans” have turned away is quite heavily inflated.

No I wouldn’t support such a wild claim. I find most people invent stats to suit their needs when they speak informally. I do stand by my belief that the films have resulted in polarization. Although I bet the difference of opinion would be on how much so.